Phaneuf going to be a leaf for ever.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Phaneuf going to be a leaf for ever.

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Phaneuf isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be here.  He's no Chara, but it's not like the Jeff Finger contract redux.  Teams need a #1 defenseman.  They aren't readily available.  He's who they have.  If he's defecient in areas, they have to build around him.  If I were a Leaf fan, I wouldn't be jumping for joy about this deal, but I wouldn't be crying in my soup either.  I think it would be more along the lines of, "Okay, so that's done."

[/QUOTE]

I think Cody Franzen is becoming a better player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow.  I would be sick if I were a Leaf fan.  $7 mil used to buy a lot more.  Good news for us.

[/QUOTE]

Got family in TO and believe me, they are!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:[QUOTE]Phaneuf isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be here.  He's no Chara, but it's not like the Jeff Finger contract redux.  Teams need a #1 defenseman.  They aren't readily available.  He's who they have.  If he's defecient in areas, they have to build around him.  If I were a Leaf fan, I wouldn't be jumping for joy about this deal, but I wouldn't be crying in my soup either.  I think it would be more along the lines of, "Okay, so that's done."[/QUOTE]

That's the point though. He's only decent, he's not a #1 and it 's 7 X 7. That's two awful contracts in a year. 

"Eh he's a decent engineer, he's all we have at the firm lets give him a raise!" LoL

But there are alternatives. Do I want a Phanoof bologna sandwich ? or a some young, lean Roast Beef ? 

You give that kind of money to someone that helps leads you to a cup. Dion is not even close to that type of player. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

From The Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/12/28/maple_leafs_phaneuf_contract_extension_makes_sense.html

Phaneuf’s average annual value and cap hit will drop as a percentage of the overall team cap to as low as 8.5 per cent within 18 months. Plus that percentage will drop as the NHL’s cap rises through the life of Phaneuf’s extension.

From The Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/28/maple-leafs-can-win-with-dion-phaneuf-but-also-need-to-add-more-talent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Phaneuf isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be here.  He's no Chara, but it's not like the Jeff Finger contract redux.  Teams need a #1 defenseman.  They aren't readily available.  He's who they have.  If he's defecient in areas, they have to build around him.  If I were a Leaf fan, I wouldn't be jumping for joy about this deal, but I wouldn't be crying in my soup either.  I think it would be more along the lines of, "Okay, so that's done."

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure man.  The physical aspect and overall skating to me isnt close.  Phanuef no doubt is a top notch dman.  People hate his smugness but id take him anyday.  He plays all the key situations and is above avg at them all.  His skating would be top 10 for dmen.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure man.  The physical aspect and overall skating to me isnt close.  Phanuef no doubt is a top notch dman.  People hate his smugness but id take him anyday.  He plays all the key situations and is above avg at them all.  His skating would be top 10 for dmen.  

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I think Phaneuf is a better player right now and is the #1 D-man there.  But it's close (Franzen has more points, more hits) and with such a long contract, you have to wonder if he is going to continue to be the #1 guy.  I think Franzen is a really underrated guy, and a guy who might ask for #1 money some time too.   The Phaneuf contract could end up affecting some of the other guys in that blueline.  Add in other big contracts for Kessel, Clarkson, etc. and Franzen might get a better offer elsewhere down the road.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I think Phaneuf is a better player right now and is the #1 D-man there.  But it's close (Franzen has more points, more hits) and with such a long contract, you have to wonder if he is going to continue to be the #1 guy.  I think Franzen is a really underrated guy, and a guy who might ask for #1 money some time too.   The Phaneuf contract could end up affecting some of the other guys in that blueline.  Add in other big contracts for Kessel, Clarkson, etc. and Franzen might get a better offer elsewhere down the road.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right and i think franzen will be dealt while his value is sky high.  if they offered franzen pkus kadri to a team looking for a big change i think the return would be massive.  Lets throw reimer in there as well.  And then lets look at a team like washington or edmonton.   Lets just take edmonton.  Would gagner/yako for franzen/kadri/reimer help both clubs.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you are right and i think franzen will be dealt while his value is sky high.  if they offered franzen pkus kadri to a team looking for a big change i think the return would be massive.  Lets throw reimer in there as well.  And then lets look at a team like washington or edmonton.   Lets just take edmonton.  Would gagner/yako for franzen/kadri/reimer help both clubs.  

[/QUOTE]

This deal actually makes sense, if Nonis could get "Bold Moves" to take Clarkson,who by the way the Oilers were in on right to the last minute, then it might work. How about Gagner,N.Shultz,Yako for Clarkson,Franzen,Reimer, Oilers get some size and goaltending and Leafs get more skill up front.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he's not a number one d man. on a good team. he's not a first pairing d man. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

on an average team he's not a top pairing d man. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This deal actually makes sense, if Nonis could get "Bold Moves" to take Clarkson,who by the way the Oilers were in on right to the last minute, then it might work. How about Gagner,N.Shultz,Yako for Clarkson,Franzen,Reimer, Oilers get some size and goaltending and Leafs get more skill up front.

[/QUOTE]

Thats not bad.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats not bad.  

[/QUOTE]

Yako might drive Carlyle nuts though or should i say will drive Carlyle nuts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Phaneuf isn't nearly as bad as he's made out to be here. 

[/QUOTE]

Just like Mike Komisarek ?

Believe it or not ( I know it's hard ), there are those on here that judge the way players play just a wee bit better then you . 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not ( I know it's hard ), there are those on here that judge the way players play just a wee bit better then you . 

[/QUOTE]

Komisarek was a fine second pairing defenseman.  His contract killed him.

Believe it or not, you're the new Pauly1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Komisarek was a fine second pairing defenseman.  His contract killed him.

Believe it or not, you're the new Pauly1.

[/QUOTE]

no. komisarek was an okay to slightly below average third pairing D in Toronto. His contract prevented him from being the 6th or 7th d man. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no. komisarek was an okay to slightly below average third pairing D in Toronto. His contract prevented him from being the 6th or 7th d man. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

Can you explain to me, then, how a guy who could barely make an NHL roster was selected to play on USA Olympic team in 2010? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

Can you explain to me, then, how a guy who could barely make an NHL roster was selected to play on USA Olympic team in 2010? 

[/QUOTE]

Then the person who selected him was smoking crack.

NAS, the guy has scored 2 goals since becoming a Leaf in 09-10, he been minus many more times than he's been plus, has taken utterly idiotic penalties and can deflate a team like Dennis Wideman can.

You and Shupe have this bizarre love afair with horrible defenseman like Komi and Dionne, I don't get it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

cool. he got hurt and didn't play. he's been horrible ever since. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

NAS, the guy has scored 2 goals since becoming a Leaf in 09-10, he been minus many more times than he's been plus, has taken utterly idiotic penalties and can deflate a team like Dennis Wideman can.

You and Shupe have this bizarre love afair with horrible defenseman like Komi and Dionne, I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

It was likely Burke who suggested it, to justify the tremendously stupid overpayment he made to Komisarik in free agency.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

Clearly, lack of depth at that position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

I bet you phanuef is in discussion for canada.  That makes him an elite top dman.  In boston hes behind chara.  Go around the league and tell me what team hes not a top pairing.  Chicago no question.  Then go down the other 29 teams.  Hes better then any other bruin dman not named chara.  He plays high 20 mins a night, is physical, can skate, pass, shot, pk, pp.   He plays every situation and can dominate games.  Hes on a top pairing on just about any team.  

No love affair.  I think expectations for him were sky high.  Id love to have him bc he is a game changer.  Horrible dmen?  Clearly you dont understand the game to say this.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

I bet you phanuef is in discussion for canada.  That makes him an elite top dman.  In boston hes behind chara.  Go around the league and tell me what team hes not a top pairing.  Chicago no question.  Then go down the other 29 teams.  Hes better then any other bruin dman not named chara.  He plays high 20 mins a night, is physical, can skate, pass, shot, pk, pp.   He plays every situation and can dominate games.  Hes on a top pairing on just about any team.  

No love affair.  I think expectations for him were sky high.  Id love to have him bc he is a game changer.  Horrible dmen?  Clearly you dont understand the game to say this.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is a game changer - for the wrong reasons.  Yes, he has the skills, but he take idiotic penalties at the wrong times.  He deflates the teams he plays for.  He plays for his own agenda and not his team.  And that's why I say he's horrible.

I don't like the player.  I think he's bad news.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he's far closer to horrible d man than in discussion for team canada. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow, is that so?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he's far closer to horrible d man than in discussion for team canada. 

[/QUOTE]

You dont pay attention much then bc he was on the orientation list.  So your therory is out the window.  Of the players on the list id rank him about 10th.   They take 7.  Horrible dmen dont play nearly 30 a night.  Its fine to dislike a guy.  But hes been a top dmen since he walked into the league.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is a game changer - for the wrong reasons.  Yes, he has the skills, but he take idiotic penalties at the wrong times.  He deflates the teams he plays for.  He plays for his own agenda and not his team.  And that's why I say he's horrible.

I don't like the player.  I think he's bad news.  

[/QUOTE]

Hes an NHL captain.  An NHL captain of the maple leafs one of the (if not the top) most storied teams in history.   Every player has their own agenda.  Yes i find him to be smug.  But i can say that about a lot of top end players.  How do you know he deflates the teams he plays for.  For everything you think is a negative in terms of personality is the key components to why he was named team captain.  They just dont hand them out for no reason.  Lots of teams have split rooms.  Philly was an example a few yrs ago.  It happens on a lot of teams.  Richard and Carter were the scape goats.  Pretty sure i bet they had them back.   How about drew doughty a few yrs ago prior to winning.  Party boy with Simmonds.  Hes a very smug guy.