Players lack of respect for each other

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Players lack of respect for each other

I just don't get this. Every player, coach, GM, & Ref, knows that this is a major issue right now, and all the players are reminded of it everyday, but yet it still happens. Hunwick's hit on Savard was an upper-body check with intent to hit him in the head. No question about it (in my mind), and yet it happened. 

My question is what do the players that deliver these checks think. Why do they do it, when they know it is a penalty, and it can get them a major suspension. Most of the answers I hear from them is, "I didn't mean to hit him like that", or "I was just finishing my check". Mean-while he brought his elbow up to the guys head, and left his feet to drive him into the broads. Right! These are BS answers.

So why do they do it? Does the coach tell them to do it, and if they don't then they are going to sit? Or is it just simply that they always have done this, and now that they are fully grown men they can really hurt each other.

Can't they sit down with each of these guys, and get a real answer from them? Have long in-depth sessions until they explain their actions and what makes them do this. Then apply the appropriate measures. I know it is a fast game, but these players have had to make changes before, so why would this be any different. 

It is sad that Savard is probably done. I can't see him taking too many more of these shots, and it appears that he has a target on his back now. I can only imagine what will happen if Syd doesn't make it back. What if Ovie or Stamkos goes down? 

Thoughts. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Players lack of respect for each other

I just dont think that with Campbell and Fartman running the show the players are going to get questioned Law and Order style.

I disagree about the Hunwick hit it looked pretty clean to me. In my opinion as  aplayer savard needs to protect himself in that position not extend his neck and head and reach for the puck. Do you really think that hunwick after 2years is targetting his former teammate(that he knows full well is a ticking time bomb) in the head? Seems doubtful to me but no1 will know what hunwick was thinking.

But I do agree about RE-Peat offenders IE Cooke,Ott,Avery, 1/2 of Philly's roster. These guys offer up bogus excuses and weasel there way out of trouble every time. Much like trouble making kids with parents that go easy on discipline. Cooke should have the book thrown at him for his next transgression(should have been for the savard hit) but he claims to not have meant even though he extended his elbow and directly targeted savard from the blindside.(just like you said)

Its like arresting a thief. They say they didnt mean to and it wont happen again(they didnt know it was wrong etc...) then you let them off easy 2 weeks later bam you got the same guy comitting the sam crime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Players lack of respect for each other:
    [QUOTE]I just don't get this. Every player, coach, GM, & Ref, knows that this is a major issue right now, and all the players are reminded of it everyday, but yet it still happens. Hunwick's hit on Savard was an upper-body check with intent to hit him in the head. No question about it (in my mind), and yet it happened.  My question is what do the players that deliver these checks think. Why do they do it, when they know it is a penalty, and it can get them a major suspension. Most of the answers I hear from them is, "I didn't mean to hit him like that", or "I was just finishing my check". Mean-while he brought his elbow up to the guys head, and left his feet to drive him into the broads. Right! These are BS answers. So why do they do it? Does the coach tell them to do it, and if they don't then they are going to sit? Or is it just simply that they always have done this, and now that they are fully grown men they can really hurt each other. Can't they sit down with each of these guys, and get a real answer from them? Have long in-depth sessions until they explain their actions and what makes them do this. Then apply the appropriate measures. I know it is a fast game, but these players have had to make changes before, so why would this be any different.    It is sad that Savard is probably done. I can't see him taking too many more of these shots, and it appears that he has a target on his back now. I can only imagine what will happen if Syd doesn't make it back. What if Ovie or Stamkos goes down?  Thoughts. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    He barely made contact with Savard let alone targeted his head.Do you want them to ban body contact all together in order to make it safer?There are plenty of hits worth talking about.This isn't one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Players lack of respect for each other:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Players lack of respect for each other : He barely made contact with Savard let alone targeted his head.Do you want them to ban body contact all together in order to make it safer?There are plenty of hits worth talking about.This isn't one of them.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

There was nothing dirty about that hit at all. I agree. If anything Savard put himself in a bad spot.

This hit doesnt fall intot he same category as forementioned Shelley, Cooke, Avery etc...

But the point of mutual player respect is valid. In that several players in the league seem to be completely lacking it(not that hunwick is one).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Agreed with Dez.  Savy needs to wear a shield at this point of his career.  His face looked to take the hardest blow vs the glass. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Does anyone read past the first paragraph?

Please don't take one line -that had my opinion on the one hit - and leave the rest. I love hitting in the game, but even though I've defended these hits for years, I can't ignore it anymore. Maybe as Fans, we have to voice our displeasure too. It's hard to be optimistic about the Bruins chances when their top 2 Centers are off the ice due to concussions. Stop buying tickets, or jerseys. Post on these sites. 

We aren't talking a few decent players here. We are talking about the cream of the league. Guys that know they are always a target and have always been heads up players. Booth, Savard, Crosby, Lindros, LaFontaine, etc, etc...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Hunwick's hit was clean, Savard has to learn to keep his head near his body and not lean it out. I don't think he's done, too many people deal in absolutes when there is nothing in this world that is absolutely certain. Savrd will likely be back as he was not out but instead reached for his head and remained conscious. He'll be out for a bunch of games but you can't blame Hunwick for that hit.

I think the same thing you want taken away in this post is the same thing the whiners on this forum want more of. The fans want more hits and fights while the NHL wants less of this because it threatens the stars of the game.

As far as what the hired goons that continually cheap shot players think? They think they are going to dance the fine line between a clean and a dirty play and boost their team with a good check, or they'll play dirty to get under someone's skin. There are head games in most sports, hockey is just one where it happens more often and can end in a fight given the speeds they are playing at along wit the fact there is no sideline but instead boards and glass that doesn't give.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Savard's hit by Hunwick was not dirty, and was if anything just another bad break for Savvy. There was a shot of Hunwick after it happened, and he seemed quite stressed over what had happened as a former teammate. At the same time, Savard is frequently putting himself in situations where he is going to get killed. He turns his back to the play near the boards...that's like just putting a target on his back saying "hit me"....Problem is that you can't change your game if you don't go to the behind the net boards to set up plays and work passes and keep the puck on the opponent's zone. Savard knows this more than anyone. Visor or no visor, he's like most guys who have had concussions==vulnerable to injury at any hit. I am upset as I wanted to see him in person tonight, and missed him last year in LA due to his injury...It's frustrating, and it's a possibility he is out for the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Every player in the NHL knows there is a risk when playing this sport.  Do I wanna see Savard hurt? Heck no, but its a risk playing the game.  I want him to be well so he can live a normal life. 
    Does anyone think the hit on detroits Dman Stuart was dirty?  I personally don't.  The size of players dictates the game today.  And medical science is far advanced as well.  Back in the day Savy likely wouldnt have missed a shift.  Think about how scarey that is. 

I think the players don't respect each other as indicated by the original post.  Each generation has different types of players.  But a Matt Cooke would have been damaged goods back in the day.  I mean the entire Bertuzzi incident was over a cheap hit on Naslund.  It was dealt with.  Did I agree with it?  No..the violence involved was extreme.  But it was dealt with.  In todays game they don't stick up for each other as much.  Back in the day Cooke's hit on Savy would have been a bench brawl.  It doesnt happen anymore.  I personally don't think this hockey is better.  I think the league is watered down with teams sprinkled throughout the US that have no interest(these teams should be in strong hockey markets) and I believe we should eliminate 4 teams.  But that my opinion. 

There always seems to be some issue though.  For a while it was kneeing.  Now its head shots.  Its impossible for players with the size and speed they play with and the power they have to be selective.  Its not possible to get rid of it completely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Holy fn stupid. Sav needs to play with his head closer to his body. Do some of ye even think b4 spilling your garbage and stupidity.

I guess if Sav kept his head up his holee like most of ye he would now be fine.

This was not a clean hit, it was maybe not an intentional head shot, but it was a head shot nonetheless. Did Hunwick let off when he realized it was Sav's head between his Elbow/Forearm and the glass and boards, no he did not.  So it was not intentional, but still delivered with full force to the head.

This is no difference than the hit the other night. Yes both were developing hockey plays and no problems with that, but both become Head shots delivered with full malice and no let off, not even an attempt to hide it.  It is head shots that the league is trying to cull, obviously it is not working, 2 shots to Sav's head in 1 week. Sid received 2 of his in 1 game and they have not figured out which one caused his injury and none of them have received a suspension.

Severity makes a difference yes, the hits on Sav are def not 20 gamers, but they are head shots delivered at the freaking glass and boards and there is no good going to come of it, they are def worth a game for sure.  Until these shots are disciplined, we will have continued injuries with major injuries resulting in the odd 20 game suspension, but these can be culled with more penalties in the 1-2 game varieties.  When the awareness of these hits is not being obsserved, the penalties need to be called.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone read past the first paragraph? Please don't take one line -that had my opinion on the one hit - and leave the rest. I love hitting in the game, but even though I've defended these hits for years, I can't ignore it anymore. Maybe as Fans, we have to voice our displeasure too. It's hard to be optimistic about the Bruins chances when their top 2 Centers are off the ice due to concussions. Stop buying tickets, or jerseys. Post on these sites.  We aren't talking a few decent players here. We are talking about the cream of the league. Guys that know they are always a target and have always been heads up players. Booth, Savard, Crosby, Lindros, LaFontaine, etc, etc...
    I read your entire post and was responding to where you specifically stated that it was your opinion that Hunwick deliberately targeted Savard's head.Where is the confusion here?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone read past the first paragraph? Please don't take one line -that had my opinion on the one hit - and leave the rest. I love hitting in the game, but even though I've defended these hits for years, I can't ignore it anymore. Maybe as Fans, we have to voice our displeasure too. It's hard to be optimistic about the Bruins chances when their top 2 Centers are off the ice due to concussions. Stop buying tickets, or jerseys. Post on these sites.  We aren't talking a few decent players here. We are talking about the cream of the league. Guys that know they are always a target and have always been heads up players. Booth, Savard, Crosby, Lindros, LaFontaine, etc, etc...

Thought I argued both your points in my posts. Even though I disagreed with one, did you not read them?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

More on lack of respect, the B's lack of respect for each other is becoming painful.  I don't care if no penalties on the plays, the B's need to converge and set the tone that they are done with taking shiite form the rest of the league. The prob starts with Cj and his turn the cheek attitude that he never followed when he played.

Why  is Cj following this now, because his job depends on wins, and retaliation or sticking up for your mates may cause him a loss and points in the standings and a firing down the road.  This bs was used last year against Pit, and the staged fight with Thorn and Cooke was supposed to appease the players and fans. It did appease the women and know nothing fans that don't have a clue on the game, but it also incited the fans to see their team look like a bunch of Claude Lemieux's turning their backs on their mates and turtling to the league.

The B's lack of respect for each other is just so wrong. The problem is the only one that will go after someone, despite being one of the smallest on the team, is the one that has been targeted the most. He received head shots in the last 3 consecutive games that were obvious head shots.

They were played as parts of the game and no I don't want the hitting gone, but when it is a head shot the call needs to come.  If the idiot zebras miss the call, then the league needs to back up their mouths they have been flapjawwing about this since they were shown as the idiots they are and hand out suspensions be it 1 game or 20.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

You just gave me an awesome idea for an avatar thanks N04GOAT

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]Holy fn stupid. Sav needs to play with his head closer to his body. Do some of ye even think b4 spilling your garbage and stupidity. I guess if Sav kept his head up his holee like most of ye he would now be fine. This was not a clean hit, it was maybe not an intentional head shot, but it was a head shot nonetheless. Did Hunwick let off when he realized it was Sav's head between his Elbow/Forearm and the glass and boards, no he did not.  So it was not intentional, but still delivered with full force to the head. This is no difference than the hit the other night. Yes both were developing hockey plays and no problems with that, but both become Head shots delivered with full malice and no let off, not even an attempt to hide it.  It is head shots that the league is trying to cull, obviously it is not working, 2 shots to Sav's head in 1 week. Sid received 2 of his in 1 game and they have not figured out which one caused his injury and none of them have received a suspension. Severity makes a difference yes, the hits on Sav are def not 20 gamers, but they are head shots delivered at the freaking glass and boards and there is no good going to come of it, they are def worth a game for sure.  Until these shots are disciplined, we will have continued injuries with major injuries resulting in the odd 20 game suspension, but these can be culled with more penalties in the 1-2 game varieties.  When the awareness of these hits is not being obsserved, the penalties need to be called.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

^ Amen

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Hey bobbygoat, before you label the refs as zebras, why don't you step on the ice and try to call a game. Also for Perrysound, I read all your comments and find much to do about nothing in there. Hunwick's hit was a legal shoulder bump, no elbow, Savard, unfortunately, hit the glass [ immoveable] pretty hard and is emotionally concerned until he gets the Doc's review. Head hunting is not rampant, and to setle something with a staged goon fight is stupid. Whoever believes that the Bruins are not sticking up for each other is watching something I have yet to see. Refs may miss the first blow, but they always see the responsive wack or punch. Julien may tell Lucic and Chara to avoid unnecessary reactions, but he seems to support reponses like Campbell's, McQuaid's  and Horton's. Most of these Bruins can stick up for themselves, but in instances where the opponent pulls a sneaky slash, trip or whatever, you will see Ference, McQuaid and others jumping in, but, I may be watching games differently, or with a wee bit more experience.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]Holy fn stupid. Sav needs to play with his head closer to his body. Do some of ye even think b4 spilling your garbage and stupidity. I guess if Sav kept his head up his holee like most of ye he would now be fine. This was not a clean hit, it was maybe not an intentional head shot, but it was a head shot nonetheless. Did Hunwick let off when he realized it was Sav's head between his Elbow/Forearm and the glass and boards, no he did not.  So it was not intentional, but still delivered with full force to the head. This is no difference than the hit the other night. Yes both were developing hockey plays and no problems with that, but both become Head shots delivered with full malice and no let off, not even an attempt to hide it.  It is head shots that the league is trying to cull, obviously it is not working, 2 shots to Sav's head in 1 week. Sid received 2 of his in 1 game and they have not figured out which one caused his injury and none of them have received a suspension. Severity makes a difference yes, the hits on Sav are def not 20 gamers, but they are head shots delivered at the freaking glass and boards and there is no good going to come of it, they are def worth a game for sure.  Until these shots are disciplined, we will have continued injuries with major injuries resulting in the odd 20 game suspension, but these can be culled with more penalties in the 1-2 game varieties.  When the awareness of these hits is not being obsserved, the penalties need to be called.

here, here....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I forgot to add Nick Kypreos.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I agree with most of this, especially Savard being to blame for the hit.  Hunwick can and does hit, we've seen it, and Savard was in an odd position and turning when the hit happened.  He is one of those guys that uses to boards to his advantage.  I think if a guy sees a hit coming and turns, ESPECIALLY on the boards, HE should get an unsportmanlike penatly.  If youve ever played hockey, you know how fast it happens.  You cant let up in a split second. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It looked to me as if Hunwick made contact with the boards in front of Savard.I truly didn't think he made any contact with Savards head.I've seen the hit over 10 times now and I still can't figure out what you're seeing that I'm not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Hey Bobby, I think I've heard more intelligent commentary from my behind and you're talking out of yours.

Savard was bent over heading into the boards when Hunwick was baring down on him. I fault Savard for not bracing for the hit more than I do Hunwick for following through on a hit. The hit wasn't high and he didn't raise a shoulder or an elbow. Savard's head was down. How did Lindros' career end - yup, head down.

If you can't see that, you're blind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Here's the Hunwick hit on Savard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0vK2etSmEs

I've never seen Hunwick hit that hard before. Not looking good for Savard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Bobby, I think I've heard more intelligent commentary from my behind and you're talking out of yours. Savard was bent over heading into the boards when Hunwick was baring down on him. I fault Savard for not bracing for the hit more than I do Hunwick for following through on a hit. The hit wasn't high and he didn't raise a shoulder or an elbow. Savard's head was down. How did Lindros' career end - yup, head down. If you can't see that, you're blind.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

BDCS-TFI

Sav made the pass, the pass was gone before the corner.  Yes you are supposed to keep your head up,but you are NOT ALLOWED TO HIT THE FREAKIN HEAD.

My Bad, it was not an elbow or forearm, it was freakin worse, it was from the shoulder pads, that in the new NHL have no give in them, they are like getting hit with a Mac truck.

ONCE AGAIN IT WAS TO THE HEAD, THAT IS A SHOT THAT IS NOT ALLOWED.

Ryder on the play looks to the ref extends his arm as if that is going to get the ref to call the penalty.  Not asking for a stupid staged fight, I am just looking for some passion in the players to defend their mates.  It does not matter if the hit is clean or not, when your mate is clocked you come to his aid, but this is not happening. Cj is not allowing passion, it is showing out of Chara or Luc especially.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Hey bobbygoat, before you label the refs as zebras, why don't you step on the ice and try to call a game. Also for Perrysound, I read all your comments and find much to do about nothing in there. Hunwick's hit was a legal shoulder bump, no elbow, Savard, unfortunately, hit the glass [ immoveable] pretty hard and is emotionally concerned until he gets the Doc's review. Head hunting is not rampant, and to setle something with a staged goon fight is stupid. Whoever believes that the Bruins are not sticking up for each other is watching something I have yet to see. Refs may miss the first blow, but they always see the responsive wack or punch. Julien may tell Lucic and Chara to avoid unnecessary reactions, but he seems to support reponses like Campbell's, McQuaid's  and Horton's. Most of these Bruins can stick up for themselves, but in instances where the opponent pulls a sneaky slash, trip or whatever, you will see Ference, McQuaid and others jumping in, but, I may be watching games differently, or with a wee bit more experience.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Bonehead, as for the Zebra comment< I put in some time at this, then realized I'd sooner play, left the reffing to those that can't play.  Now they doubled the Refs and more is missed with 4 blind mice instead of 3.

Hate the adage, let them play, yes let them play, but when they let them play, teams that are not as good become upsets in the playoffs. Call the game from start of season to end of playoffs the same and all will be on the same page, and earned their points the same way.

Old roommate and buddy, used to run the Refs for Ottawa region, complete minor system right to the 67's.  Hated to watch a game with him, prob the same as you, his favourite thing to say would be, it obviously was not a penalty, the ref did not call it.  You keep your blinders on, he had his.

Nothing is legal when it is a hit to the head.

Responsive wack or punch, word is retaliation.

Other than McQ coming to Stu's aid(who is 1 player that does not need it), I haven't seen enough of our players dishing it out.

Experience watching a game, I'll raise you experience, wisdom and knowledge.