Powerplay Percentage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Powerplay Percentage

Lots of time is spent discussing the powerplay and how to fix it.  There are some good teams with high powerplay percentages and some awful ones as well.  There are some good teams with low  powerplay percentages and some awful ones as well.

I see no connection between scoring on the powerplay and winning hockey games.  "Yeah, but NAS, they've been lucky.  If they don't start scoring on the powerplay, they're doomed."  100% incorrect.  This team can score 5x5.  If they couldn't (see:  Edmonton), it would be an issue. 

Edmonton, by the way, has had great powerplay numbers for years.  So has the Islanders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Re: Powerplay Percentage

I agree but imagine the bruins with savard healthy in the lineup we have right now. Even if the pp jumped by 5-10% we would be running over teams. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

"I see no connection between scoring on the powerplay and winning hockey games."

BINGO!

Power plays - in this day and age - don't win hockey games or Championships! Teams do!!!!

But, I know why most of you want a better power play; so you can buy another beer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

I agree but imagine the bruins with savard healthy in the lineup we have right now. Even if the pp jumped by 5-10% we would be running over teams. 

FLASH  FLASH FLASH.... Bruins Win Cup without Savard!

If this doesn't make you happy, you are in the wrong sport.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Correct we won the cup without him just imagine if faith handed us a healthy savard he would be in his prime. We wouldn't be talking about the third line struggling right now. But anyways we still have a good chance at winning the prize this season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If the Bs have a need to improve it is on the PP.  Stay the course yet if the PP remains inept I believe it should be helped.

Whether or not the PP was needed to win the Cup in 2011 is irrelevant.  It is 2013.  The defense would have to be stellar to stop teams in the playoffs once again.  7 game series should be limited purely on a probablity that repeating three out of four series just seems iffy.  

Overall, the Bs will improve as the season goes along.  I imagine Seguin and Hamilton are the keys to the improvement.  If not my e-harmony choice is Mark Streit.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

As inefficient as the B's are on the powerplay, they are more than equally effective on the penalty kill (46-48). Stopping the opponent from scoring on their PP also leads to wins and championships.

On the other hand, having efficiency with both special units would make games a little easier to win...so in my opinion a big fix to the B's PP might be as simple as getting guys in front of the goalie to cause some chaos. Having a play maker like Savard would be nice, but the B's have sufficient offensive talent and a couple of play makers in Krejci and Bergeron that could do that job if only the goalie might be screened every now and then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Id take the winning record and the 5 on 5 dominance.  But man it would be nice to bring it together some.  i still think the solution is from within and not via trade.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You do not wait until you are in a tailspin to fix potential problems but do so while you are on the upswing. Its called being proactive and it helps mitigate the impact of negative outcomes when they occur.

Currently the B's are 8-1-2 and off to their best start in franchise history. Their weak point is clearly the PP. Should the team just ignore it and wait until they go on a losing streak to finally address it or attempt to fix it now so that when the inevitable losing streak occur's the PP will be one less thing to worry about? Now is the perfect time to do address it, while the going is good.

Just think what a PP goal or two would have meant in the Caps series last season, probably a series win. That's all it takes in some cases, a half decent PP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cause and effect, when a hockey team loses a game by one goal and is O for 5 on the PP there reason for concern. Denial and making excuses and even saying "oh everything is fine, see what happens with this team that has a great PP" is down right dumb. There are many reasons why bad teams haven't done well in a long time, their PP might be one of them but there are many more other important reasons why.

Bruins management vowed the putrid PP would fixed it is getting worse. Just like politicians, now many have joined this discussion board, nothing is being done....just like a politician excuses come fast n furious.

"oh other teams PPs are worse., Other teams who have great PPs but never do well in the playoffs like the Bruins.," Broken record keeps turning and churning, excuse after excuse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

You do not wait until you are in a tailspin to fix potential problems but do so while you are on the upswing. Its called being proactive and it helps mitigate the impact of negative outcomes when they occur.

Currently the B's are 8-1-2 and off to their best start in franchise history. Their weak point is clearly the PP. Should the team just ignore it and wait until they go on a losing streak to finally address it or attempt to fix it now so that when the inevitable losing streak occur's the PP will be one less thing to worry about? Now is the perfect time to do address it, while the going is good.

Just think what a PP goal or two would have meant in the Caps series last season, probably a series win. That's all it takes in some cases, a half decent PP.

I dont think you snap your fingers and its better.  Its not a secret.  They practice it daily.  Its been like this for yrs.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Cause and effect, when a hockey team loses a game by one goal and is O for 5 on the PP there reason for concern. Denial and making excuses and even saying "oh everything is fine, see what happens with this team that has a great PP" is down right dumb. There are many reasons why bad teams haven't done well in a long time, their PP might be one of them but there are many more other important reasons why.

Bruins management vowed the putrid PP would fixed it is getting worse. Just like politicians, now many have joined this discussion board, nothing is being done....just like a politician excuses come fast n furious.

"oh other teams PPs are worse., Other teams who have great PPs but never do well in the playoffs like the Bruins.," Broken record keeps turning and churning, excuse after excuse.

So what's the remedy then ? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's not a high % that will make the Bruins more successful , it's just being able to make a team pay for taking a penalty,  a penalTy that could have taken away a good scoring chance 5 on 5 .  That "Clutch" goal when you're behind and..or trying to put a team away. Clutch like the last game with the empty net .

I had this discussion about in game7 vs the Lightening , seeing how bad the Bruins PP was and how much better Tampa's PP was ,  Tampa in that game should have risked taking a penalty earlier in that game . Chances are the refs would have given one back to Tampa just like they did that whole playoff run.  Maybe Tampa scores on their PP or maybe not but you see what I'm trying say ,  a PP goal can influence any game. 

Another example , the Canucks wanted to play special teams game last seaSon in Boston, they did and the Bruins failed on all their PP chances. All it took was 1 goal and I believe that game would have turned out different .  1-7 on pp is not great % but it can make the difference between a game won or a game loss (VAN vs BOS ).

p.s. of course the Bruins would still have beaten Tampa and won the cup  : )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I dont think you snap your fingers and its better.  Its not a secret.  They practice it daily.  Its been like this for yrs.   

Nobody is suggesting that it is that easy. However, 27 other teams (including some very bad ones) seem to have found a better way of doing it so their are remedies out there. The mere fact that it has been this bad for so long means it is a systemic issue...cough......Ward.....cough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yes, taking advantage of PP situations is insignificant and has little impact on a team's chances to succeed, just as it was in last year's playoffs.

Yes, they won the cup without Savard, but they won the cup with Recchi and Ryder and TT.

Great insightful points

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

It's not a high % that will make the Bruins more successful , it's just being able to make a team pay for taking a penalty,  a penalTy that could have taken away a good scoring chance 5 on 5 .  That "Clutch" goal when you're behind and..or trying to put a team away. Clutch like the last game with the empty net .

I had this discussion about in game7 vs the Lightening , seeing how bad the Bruins PP was and how much better Tampa's PP was ,  Tampa in that game should have risked taking a penalty earlier in that game . Chances are the refs would have given one back to Tampa just like they did that whole playoff run.  Maybe Tampa scores on their PP or maybe not but you see what I'm trying say ,  a PP goal can influence any game. 

Another example , the Canucks wanted to play special teams game last seaSon in Boston, they did and the Bruins failed on all their PP chances. All it took was 1 goal and I believe that game would have turned out different .  1-7 on pp is not great % but it can make the difference between a game won or a game loss (VAN vs BOS ).

p.s. of course the Bruins would still have beaten Tampa and won the cup  : )

Bingo....even a middling PP% would suffice and make the team that much better. To be 27th in the league and not to have scored once at home so far is just incomprehensible for a team this good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nobody is suggesting that it is that easy. However, 27 other teams (including some very bad ones) seem to have found a better way of doing it so their are remedies out there. The mere fact that it has been this bad for so long means it is a systemic issue...cough......Ward.....cough.

I think he should have been let go long ago.  i just dont think the pp is going to be changed by adding one guy unless gretzky or orr wanna lace em up again.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Teams can win without a good power play, but winning is easier with a good one.  That's just common sense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Cause and effect

Don't let Julien or any of his coaches have anything to do with instructing the PP a long time ago.

Get Krejci as far away from the PP as possible. He stinks at it.

Bring in a consultant, Craig Janney or another great PP QB, when the Bruins are practicing at Ristuccia in Wilmington.

The winger that is brought for the 3rd line. Make sure he isn't a pass first center, have plenty of those, and has had success on the pp.

If this doesn't work forget it i'm wrong! Start praying!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Ridiculous to think that a PP has no value on a hockey team. NAS I think you need some of my meds that Book made me take. An 8-1-2 record is fantastic. 11-0 is perfect. 10-1 is what they'd be if they would've scored a pp goal in those other 2 games. So, as great a team the B's are 5on5. They'd have things a lot easier with at least a bit of a pp. You always strive to be better & I sure hope the B's coaching staff doesn't have the same attitude our friend NAS does. The PP can be at times over rated, but it needs have at least a decent presence, not be transparent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think he should have been let go long ago.  i just dont think the pp is going to be changed by adding one guy unless gretzky or orr wanna lace em up again.  

If that were true then losing Savard should not have been such a blow to the PP.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Cause and effect

Don't let Julien or any of his coaches have anything to do with instructing the PP a long time ago.

Get Krejci as far away from the PP as possible. He stinks at it.

Bring in a consultant, Craig Janney or another great PP QB, when the Bruins are practicing at Ristuccia in Wilmington.

The winger that is brought for the 3rd line. Make sure he isn't a pass first center, have plenty of those, and has had success on the pp.

If this doesn't work forget it i'm wrong! Start praying!

This one for me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But it's fool's logic to think that because it hasn't hurt them yet, it won't next time.  They won the Cup due to some pretty outstanding performances in other areas - goaltending, great 3rd line, shutdown 1st pair D.  The likelihood of that all happening the same way is not very good.  So you need to improve on any asset of the game that is going poorly for you. 

Maybe next time the goaltending is mediocre or key defensemen are injured, and the only way to overcome those problems is to pour in a few PP goals per game.  Special teams can certainly win or lose games, we all know that.

To suggest that the PP doesn't matter because the Bruins have gotten by without it a few times in the past is every bit as dumb as the logic arguing that the B's desperately need the PP to be good.

It's a problem that may or may not really hurt them.  Predicting that it will or it won't is anyone's guess -- the stuff of Stanley.  But the longer it goes on, the greater the probability that it does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

But it's fool's logic to think that because it hasn't hurt them yet, it won't next time.  They won the Cup due to some pretty outstanding performances in other areas - goaltending, great 3rd line, shutdown 1st pair D.  The likelihood of that all happening the same way is not very good.  So you need to improve on any asset of the game that is going poorly for you. 

Maybe next time the goaltending is mediocre or key defensemen are injured, and the only way to overcome those problems is to pour in a few PP goals per game.  Special teams can certainly win or lose games, we all know that.

To suggest that the PP doesn't matter because the Bruins have gotten by without it a few times in the past is every bit as dumb as the logic arguing that the B's desperately need the PP to be good.

It's a problem that may or may not really hurt them.  Predicting that it will or it won't is anyone's guess -- the stuff of Stanley.  But the longer it goes on, the greater the probability that it does.

Like the 2012 playoffs against the Caps perhaps?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If that were true then losing Savard should not have been such a blow to the PP.

how many top line centers who can set up the pp are available though?   For me i look at it like this.  5 on 5 we are dominant and thats where you want to excel.  our pk is the best in the league and our pp is near the bottom so for me its a wash and its 5 on 5.   Do i want a better pp, yes definitely.   But there are only so many guys out there that could change this.  I thought back in the cup year that kaberle was the answer bc we needed a guy to qb the pp.  it didnt happen.  

There are players, like hemsky who can create and dominate stat wise on a pp.  id love to have him.  But i dont know how great a fit hed be and the price for him would be high.