PP Not As Bad As People Think

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

PP Not As Bad As People Think

The Bruins PP is now at 15.2%.  If the Bruins had scored an extra 3 goals all year, they would be at 19.7%.  Only three teams had a PP over 20% last season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: PP Not As Bad As People Think

Could someone please explain to me why Ward would change up the powerplay personel when it started clicking again ?

So you look at the numbers GNB just presented and the PP was clicking. Going from for it go frm 11% to 15.2%, there is a reason for it. In large part becuase Seguin and Hamilton were put out on the PP at the same. You know the most skilled players on your team.

So what do I see last night ? Greg Campbell, Chara and Seidenberg on the ice together ?

Suddenly you have stationary players who don't move quick enough for the powerplay. This is what is maddening to me about the Bruins powerless play the last few years. As soon as it starts clicking changes are made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Hamilton is the key to the pp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

You're right....its worse it flat out sucks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The PP is worse than awful. How about when you can't even get the puck through center ice into the offensive end? And when the Bruins are called for off-sides trying to skate the puck in? From time to time they're also called for icing om PPs. Finally, when they do get the puck in the zone they seem to refuse to shoot from the point. They'll pass the puck around til they either lose it or shoot from an impossible angle.

It's not that complicated. If you've got the #s you skate it in and if you don't you flip it into the corner and forecheck like crazy. The Bruins have gotten a # of non-PP goals by letting defensemen shoot from the point and they've scored directly or had the puck either tipped in or scored off of a rebound. PP after PP the Bruins go without even getting a shot on net. They look confused as they approach the Blue Line and it doesn't appear that they have a clue what's going to happen next.

Keep shooting the puck on net and good things will happen! Certainly better than what's been happening up til now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

The PP is worse than awful. How about when you can't even get the puck through center ice into the offensive end? And when the Bruins are called for off-sides trying to skate the puck in? From time to time they're also called for icing om PPs. Finally, when they do get the puck in the zone they seem to refuse to shoot from the point. They'll pass the puck around til they either lose it or shoot from an impossible angle.

It's not that complicated. If you've got the #s you skate it in and if you don't you flip it into the corner and forecheck like crazy. The Bruins have gotten a # of non-PP goals by letting defensemen shoot from the point and they've scored directly or had the puck either tipped in or scored off of a rebound. PP after PP the Bruins go without even getting a shot on net. They look confused as they approach the Blue Line and it doesn't appear that they have a clue what's going to happen next.

Keep shooting the puck on net and good things will happen! Certainly better than what's been happening up til now.

What you're describing is how every NHL team looks when up against the Bruins PK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

It all seems so easy from an armchair or couch huh? However, you're right Seguin & Hamilton at least moved the puck around a bit. They didn't get many shots on net, but they did move around & at least had some looks. The only other play on pp I remember is when Peverly dumped the puck in the corner, got to it first, swung the puck around the boards to the d who dished across to his partner & got a legit SOG. Other than that? Nada!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It's not good but hey they're 15-3-3 w/ a bad PP.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Yes, but they they may just need a functioning PP for the home stretch and playoffs. No harm in talking about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's ugly, sure, but it's clicking at almost 16% which means that in the last couple of weeks, it must have been pretty respectable.  And I can't help but notice that they didn't score a PP goal yesterday...they just won the game.  27% on the road.

Again, not as bad as people think.  Just as ugly, but not as bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Book, if they can improve to the point of being average, or middle of the pack, then I doubt we hear a peep about it going forward. I certainly would not complain about it. Even with a middling PP this team would be scary down the stretch....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Five of the Top 10 powerplay percentage teams have point percentages under .500 as of right now.

(It's okay.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Add a decent third line winger (whether it be from within or without) and improve the PP a couple of % points and this team is cup bound, no question about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yes, but they they may just need a functioning PP for the home stretch and playoffs. No harm in talking about it.

I agree JM. I think the thing the drives people so crazy about the PP is the Bs have the talent for a good PP but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. It's the place where the team seems to really miss Savard. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree JM. I think the thing the drives people so crazy about the PP is the Bs have the talent for a good PP but for whatever reason it hasn't happened. It's the place where the team seems to really miss Savard. 

That's it exactly....it is baffling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Don't worry people our PP savior is on his way from Sweden.  (:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure they do.  What does a good powerplay require? 

A quick defenseman with a good shot (QDWGS) would be a benefit.  Chara is an unbelievable defenseman, but a quick stick is not something he possesses.  The defensemen are so inept as powerplay pointmen that Bergeron and Peverley (and Bourque!) are seen there more often.

Speed and accuracy up front.  Marchand and Seguin fit the bill, but the other four slots are average speed (Bergeron, Krejci) or slower (Lucic, Horton).  Paille is pretty fast, but on most nights, he couldn't put the puck in the ocean.

So, it's not a powerplay team.  It's not Geoff Ward's fault.  It's not anyone's fault.  They are a 5x5/SH team.  They are built to get hardwork goals and to keep goals out of their net. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Book, if they can improve to the point of being average, or middle of the pack, then I doubt we hear a peep about it going forward. I certainly would not complain about it. Even with a middling PP this team would be scary down the stretch....

The Bruins' PP would be ranked 17th if they had scored 1 more PP goal all season.  They would be ranked 12th if they had scored 2 more.  Do you really think nobody here would be complaining if the B's would have scored 1 or 2 extra PP goals?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

The Bruins' PP would be ranked 17th if they had scored 1 more PP goal all season.  They would be ranked 12th if they had scored 2 more.  Do you really think nobody here would be complaining if the B's would have scored 1 or 2 extra PP goals?

In all honesty I do. The reason people complain about it is because:

1. it looks so bad out there

2. it really is bad based on team rankings

Take at least one of those factors out and you remove most of the complaints. Just my opinion, though....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Bruins' PP would be ranked 17th if they had scored 1 more PP goal all season.  They would be ranked 12th if they had scored 2 more.  Do you really think nobody here would be complaining if the B's would have scored 1 or 2 extra PP goals?

Enough!  Nobody's complaining.  You started this discussion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, the complaints would be minimized, if not eliminated.  People see powerplay failures again and again and see the "27th in the league" or whatever stat pop up and think, "Oh my word, that's awful."  Now, if everyone else a worse powerplay, and the B's play stayed the same, no one would say a thing about it.

It's all about perception.  Right now, everyone is looking at the #1 ranked powerplay team and saying, "Man, if the B's could do that..."  Now, if that powerplay stayed exactly the same, but every other one was better, people would be saying, "Yeah, but at least the B's aren't those guys..."

The team is winning without cranking out powerplay goals.

"The team is winning" is all that matters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Enough!  Nobody's complaining.  You started this discussion.

Okay, not complaining, but talking about it as a problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure they do.  What does a good powerplay require? 

A quick defenseman with a good shot (QDWGS) would be a benefit.  Chara is an unbelievable defenseman, but a quick stick is not something he possesses.  The defensemen are so inept as powerplay pointmen that Bergeron and Peverley (and Bourque!) are seen there more often.

Speed and accuracy up front.  Marchand and Seguin fit the bill, but the other four slots are average speed (Bergeron, Krejci) or slower (Lucic, Horton).  Paille is pretty fast, but on most nights, he couldn't put the puck in the ocean.

So, it's not a powerplay team.  It's not Geoff Ward's fault.  It's not anyone's fault.  They are a 5x5/SH team.  They are built to get hardwork goals and to keep goals out of their net. 

[/QUOTE

I agree with your assessment about Chara's stick, Paille's gifted hands, but that's all.  Speed is actually more of a neccesity 5 on 5, and SH.  The PK is pretty much  nothing more than discipline.  They're not "built" that way, they just execute that way.

Responsible, offensively gifted forwards play the point on many teams.  Not a slight on the Dmen, just the expectation of less offensive pressure from the opposing team.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If speed is necessary on 5x5, how is Lucic in the NHL?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lucic has decent straight line speed.  He carries the puck often enough that you see him pull away in the neutral zone.  What he's not, is quick.  PP requires quick.

When Jersey uses Kovalchuk on the point, it's a smart strategic decision to get his playmaking and rocket shot into the mix for the full 2 min.  When CJ puts Bourque on the point, it's a slight to the offensive prowess of the D.