Production values

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Production values

Don't know what many of you are getting out of NBC's coverage, but CBC had three great "bits" as part of Game 2 coverage. 

Opening mash-up of Game 1 to the Black Keys' "Little Black Submarines" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQYMrb6lRA;

a montage of Blackhawk history using an old Hawks ad/fight song (guessing from early in their history) that included all of their past Cup participant teams - Hull, Savard, Chelios, Mikita, Hall....;

and a player intro bit where the players said who was their idol growing up.  Strange how time flies watching this bit - I think ONE guy said Gretzky was his favorite player growing up, but at least 5 said Yzerman.  Thornton's idol was another Oshawa guy, Dave Duerden, and they did a "funny" bit at the end where Krejci said his idol was Jagr, and then they had Jagr, who said his idol was Jagr (I think he was joking...).  Best one was Tuukka Rask, and I wonder how many people caught this.  He said his idol growing up in Savonlinna was...Bob Essensa.  I don't know how many kids in Winnipeg idolized Bob Essensa.  I remember him getting dealt for Chevaldae in an attempt to jump start both guys, and then just about disappearing because Detroit worked out so poorly for him.  That was 93, I think.  Rask would have been 6.  The Finn just gave a nice shout out to his goalie coach, I think.  Good on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sask-Bs-fan. Show Sask-Bs-fan's posts

Re: Production values

I really enjoyed that opening sequence as well!  We commented to each other about the amount of time it would have taken to mash that together, even with the modern equipment they have now, while watching it live.  I enjoyed watching it again even more!

And the Jagr"s fav player being Jagr was funny. I think we was poking fun at the fact that he is so old.

Go Bruins!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's awesome stuff, Book.  We don't get any cool stuff like that at all on NBCsp.  Thankfully tonight is the last game on that channel.  I can finally cance America's Top 250 for the summer.

As if there are so many channels that there is even a Top 250, let alone anyone having the need for that many.  TV is stupid.  Outside of a super-major news event, I won't be turning my cable box on again until September.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I love sports too much to go dark even when there's no hockey.  I'll still watch baseball, though I'm in the same boat as you and red - the thrill is gone.  Reds fan, so I get to watch some pretty good baseball right now.  And hey, in Canada, football season is just about to start.

Plus, I'm still recovering from the surgery Horton will be having shortly after he sobers up from the Cup celebration.  Curtails my ability to get out and play sports rather than watch them.  Aging is getting old.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I love sports too much to go dark even when there's no hockey.  I'll still watch baseball, though I'm in the same boat as you and red - the thrill is gone.  Reds fan, so I get to watch some pretty good baseball right now.  And hey, in Canada, football season is just about to start.

Plus, I'm still recovering from the surgery Horton will be having shortly after he sobers up from the Cup celebration.  Curtails my ability to get out and play sports rather than watch them.  Aging is getting old.

Reds fan here as well Book.  I was at Game 4 in Oakland when they swept the A's for their last world series title.  Tough division this year, gonna go down to wire with Cards, and Bucs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, too sweet.  Loved that team - wire to wire!

I honestly cannot believe the way the Cardinals are playing, but that pales to how I feel about the fact the Bucs have the third best record in baseball.  Seriously tough division when you have three teams that are 1-2-3 in the entire MLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

That's cool.  Good stuff.  I really enjoyed Doc Emrick using the phrase "whirling dervish" twice in one period.  That was special as well...

Book, I had the shoulder dislocation/torn labrum fix about three years ago.  It took an awful long time to heal, but I would never know I had it now.  Good luck, go easy on the meds...

Not a Reds fan but went to Miami-Ohio for grad school and lived outside Cincy for a few years.  Got a chance to go to games in the old and new stadium in consecutive years.  The new one is fantastic if you ever get the chance to go.  All the romantic feelings about Fenway tend to fade when you're in one of these new ballparks.  I also got a pound dog while I was in Cincy and named him Foster, which I'm sure you old Reds fans can appreciate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Great name! 

Thanks, Fletch.  I'm two weeks out and hoping my guitar skills will be improved by all this exercise for the left hand (there's no way to make that sound more innocent, is there...).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The pre-game video at the Greatest Bar is the p00p.

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tell me more...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wonder if CBC will show Chelios, JR and Belfour realizing in 91' that the series is starting to slip away as the pre-game video for game 4 ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Don't know what many of you are getting out of NBC's coverage, but CBC had three great "bits" as part of Game 2 coverage. 

Opening mash-up of Game 1 to the Black Keys' "Little Black Submarines" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQYMrb6lRA;

a montage of Blackhawk history using an old Hawks ad/fight song (guessing from early in their history) that included all of their past Cup participant teams - Hull, Savard, Chelios, Mikita, Hall....;

and a player intro bit where the players said who was their idol growing up.  Strange how time flies watching this bit - I think ONE guy said Gretzky was his favorite player growing up, but at least 5 said Yzerman.  Thornton's idol was another Oshawa guy, Dave Duerden, and they did a "funny" bit at the end where Krejci said his idol was Jagr, and then they had Jagr, who said his idol was Jagr (I think he was joking...).  Best one was Tuukka Rask, and I wonder how many people caught this.  He said his idol growing up in Savonlinna was...Bob Essensa.  I don't know how many kids in Winnipeg idolized Bob Essensa.  I remember him getting dealt for Chevaldae in an attempt to jump start both guys, and then just about disappearing because Detroit worked out so poorly for him.  That was 93, I think.  Rask would have been 6.  The Finn just gave a nice shout out to his goalie coach, I think.  Good on him.

Yeah that was funny stuff with JJ. He tried so hard to keep a straight face & you could hear everyone laughing. 

Regarding Bob? It was the 93-94 season that trade happened & I remember thinking how it was hard to imagine his great play in 1990. Helped the Jets get a 3-1 series lead on the Oilers, but then it became the Billy Ranford show. Was nominated for a Vezina I believe it was in 92'. Then his game went south & I thought the move to the Wings would help him, but he actually ended up being a 4th stringer. I was watching this game with some buddies & I told them that Rask might say Tim Thomas. lol