Quarter Pole Awards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Quarter Pole Awards

Usually, you see these things everywhere, but I don't recall seeing any over the last week as the NHL moved past the 21-22 game mark.  Was I just in hibernation?  Is it just that the first quarter pole is marginally more meaningful than blind guessing? 

Well, here's some blind guessing - or, as I look it over, some very black and gold tinged guessing:

Vezina: Right now, can't argue with Brian Elliott's goofy numbers, but few would argue that they'll last.  There are a number of goalies with sub. 2.00 and better than .935 numbers.  The real race looks to be between the incumbent, Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Quick in that order.

Norris: Chara and Weber's stat lines couldn't be more similar - 5-13-18, +15, 3ppg, 75/76 shots, and Weber plays 28 seconds more per game. Letang and Campbell are key to their teams offensively and defensively (oddly in in Campbell's case, but there you go). Suter may get some looks, too, which will split the Predator vote (which may be why Lidstrom beat Weber). I think it ends Chara, Letang, Weber. Pitt. just gets too much attention that Nashville doesn't.

Hart: Statistically, right now, it's hard not to say Phyllo has the lead.  He's putting up the points, Lupul's points show how much he's expanded his game, and the Laff record shows how much influence his improvement is having on the team.  But will it last?  He's slowing down already.  In October he had 18 points in 11 games (1.64 pp/g) and was plus 6.  In November, he had 14 points in 14 games (1pp/g) and he was -5.   If he stays at a point/game, he'll hit 90 points. That's a huge season for Phil, but I don't think it's enough for the Hart. I'll go out on a limb and say the finalists will be Giroux (the most important forward on a team that made a huge change over the summer and is making it work), Sidney Crosby, and ... Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - he's the leading scorer among centres and has been one of the biggest reasons the Oilers won't be picking up Yakupov or Dumba. Should have sent him to Red Deer and got their future blueline general! [Crosby will win it.]

Art Ross - D. Sedin.  Unlike all of the other top ten scorers right now, he's been there before and he's had a slow to average start.

Selke - how do you judge this at the quarter pole?  I think the noms will include both Bergeron and Kelly (esp. if he keeps the scoring pace up), Toews, Datsyuk, and maybe Chimera.  Kesler probably gets there. If Kelly plays like this the whole year, I say he gets it.

Byng - with Datsyuk and St. Louis still scoring like contenders, but also racking up a whopping 8 and 6 minutes of penalties already, there might be room for Zetterberg (2 min), Horcoff (2 min) or, to put a more defensive-minded player in with the acknowledgement that it's harder to avoid penalties when you don't have the puck - the Isles' Frans Neilsen.  No idea though.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: Quarter Pole Awards

I'd love to see Bergeron get the recognition he deserves.  I've felt his game warranted consideration well before this year.   Hope he gets it. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Phil has had brilliant months before, and has always had very poor months. It seems likely that will happen again.  His weak +/- kills any chance at the Hart. I would say the early season MVP is probably Giroux, though Vanek, Hopkins Versteeg and Seguin have all been impressive for impressive teams.  It will be interesting to watch how the next quarter plays out, with Crosby in the mix and Stamkos coming on.  It really seems like title of best D comes down to Weber and Chara. Both dominant. Your thoughts on Kelly for the Selke are interesting. It's for 2-way forward so to me Bergeron is the winner because he puts up more points, but I could see Kelly getting notice because he is surprising people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

In Response to Re: Quarter Pole Awards:
    [QUOTE]I'd love to see Bergeron get the recognition he deserves.  I've felt his game warranted consideration well before this year.   Hope he gets it. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

The fact he hasnt already won the Selke is criminal

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Quarter Pole Awards:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Quarter Pole Awards : It's wayyyyy too early to be talking awards, Bookboy. We've only played 25% of the season, to date, and there are a number of long-term injuries to key player personnel on several teams.
    Posted by CraftyandSly1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but when does that ever stop someone in need of column inches?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I say watch out for Giroux and Stamkos for both the Hart and Art Ross. Toews and Kopitar will make some noise for the scoring title as well those two are going to make run at some point. Yah Book you can hint at RNH he is a joy to watch.

With the Norris point production is considered so that makes Lidstrom the front runner and when you throw in his 10.2 shooting %, yah he'll be there. It's December you're asking now so I say if Campbell and if his 26:43 TOI continues he just might take it as he has been playing great.

Some day they should just rename the Selke after Datsyuk....nah Gainey he invented the term "best defensive forward". You know Kelly just might do it if he keeps this peak up n hits no valleys.

Ah poor Lady Bing last girl to be given a flower at the dance, nice guys do deserve a prize for not hooking that flashy winger going in alone on the goalie. Can Brad Richards break the trend get his 2nd ? Don't know hardest one to predict.

As much as I would love to see Thomas add another Vezina, I really wouldn't mind seeing Khabibulin get a last laugh at his detractors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Edit: Bump that troll down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why is Phyllo?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You know, doughy, flaky...Phyllo Kessel.

But that's who is Phyllo, not why.  I think the Bruins got tired of trying to figure why is Phyllo....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Lopul would be my vote for the Masterson trophy. Though it's the Leafs, it's safe to say he's rebounded nicely this season.