Race to the Bottom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Race to the Bottom

The TT discussion got me thinking - who gets the most balls in the lottery next year?  Calgary looks like the front runner.  Their starting goalie is Karri Ramo, last seen with a sub-.900s% in Tampa Bay.  He's been putting up stellar numbers in the KHL for three years.  Their top D-man is Dennis Wideman.  Let me know when you've finished laughing and I'll continue.

Other than Cammalleri, their forward corps is made up of a bunch of guys who are second liners at best and weak third liners frequently.  Guys like Backlund and Baertschi will ahve to step up for them to have any kind of success, and I can see Sean Monahan getting his share of minutes.  But between lack of talent, bad management, and mold-related sinus infections, Calgary has got to be the front-runner for their choice of Reinhart, Ritchie, Nylander or Ekblad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Race to the Bottom

No team can be worse than the Panthers this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Flames are a worthy choice, no doubt. I do like some of their role players like you said as 3rd liners, but agree that they'll be asked to do more than what they should. Stempniak and Glencross aren't terrible. Stajan holds his own. But a terrible defence and unproven goalie are the recipe for disaster. I'm really, really surprised they haven't picked up Thomas. Maybe they've tried and he's saying no.

I still think Florida is a joke, and are going to get crushed with their schedule.

My darkhorse choice for worst team in the league is Buffalo, but with an *. I imagine Miller will try to be on his best behavior for the Olympics and he could return to form. But I can also see him struggling and the wheels falling off in a bad, bad way. Hard to predict, but I think we get to watch the team implode, the GM fired and Miller & Vanek moved at the deadline. Could get ugly in Buffalo. NOTE: I hope it gets ugly in Buffalo.

Also expect Montreal to take a huge step back, but more to the 8-9 seed and not worst league-wide. And the Jets have done nothing to keep up with the joneses. So many choices!

So let's bet:

24. NJ

25. Montreal

26. Winnipeg

27. Colorado

28. Buffalo

29. Calgary

30. Florida (just move them already)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree the Jets haven't made any moves, but neither have most of the teams in their division. Wild have taken an ever slight step backwards, I can't see either the Preds of Avs taking a major step forward. Dallas has improved, but with the new division format the Jets just need third, and possibly fourth, in their division. There's two spots I think they'll be in a fight for with the Wild and Dallas. They have a shot not because of any vast improvement, but because of the format change and fairly weak competition.

Also with the Division format change I think you guys are right about the Flames, who lose the Avs and Wild and gain the Ducks, Sharks, Yotes and Kings. Same goes for Florida who now have to contend with the Bruins, Wings, Leafs Habs and Sens for a playoff spot.

I would add the Canes who have not done much to improve after a fairly dismal season last year in the weak SE. They keep SE champs the Caps, and they now have to play the Pens, Flyers, Rangers and two up and coming teams in the Jackets and Isles. I also have my doubts Ward will return to form.

And also, While I don't think they'll be bottom feeders league wide, a playoff miss by Vancouver wouldn't shock me. This is not a team that's built for Torts' style, and the format change may hurt them more than any other team. The Ducks had a better record, the Kings were tied with them in points but had the tiebreaker, the Sharks were only two points back. They could be in a fight for that fourth spot and hoping for a cross-over. Their fate could depend on how strong the Central is (Maybe steal that fourth spot from the Jets, Stars or Wild) and if Edmonton finally gets their talent producing on the same page.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Darn.  Seguin to the Panthers for their 2014 first round pick would have been fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No team can be worse than the Panthers this year.

Calgary can and probably will.  I tend to think Dale Tallon rolled up the credit he got for the Hawks' first cup win, smoked it, and has been acting like the queen of sheba ever since, but he's still ten times the GM Feaster is.  Calgary doesn't have a player with Huberdeau's flat out offense or a defenseman with Gudbranson's package of size and mobility.  Campbell>Wideman.  Versteeg>Stajan.  Calgary wins a few battles.  Florida doesn't have a scorer with Cammalleri's credentials and Glencross > Fleishmann I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Buffalo and Colorado will compete for the worst team as well.

Buffalo is a mess that has unquestionably gotten worse in the past two years.  Who's the #1 center -- Hodgson? Leino? Ott?  Miller seems less and less capable to bail them out and the blueline seems like a who's who list of regressing talent and underachievers.

Colorado has plenty of talent up front, but their blueline has to be the worst in the league. The Avs were led in TOI by Matt Hunwick and Tyson Barrie last year.  Hunwick is gone.  Greg Zanon and Ryan O'Bryne were top six D-men.  They left and haven't even been replaced (is there a parking cone in the system?).  I think MacKinnon was the right choice in the draft (best player) but the Avs blueline is AHL level, and Varlamov is going to get worked.

But for betting purposes.  I've gotta go with Florida.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

HEY!

It's not the fans fault the team blows.

Tallon has put a fake team together, comprised of quality second liners, rookies, a star PMD and a joke of a goaltending duo.

Don't move the team.  Fire Tallon!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

[QUOTE]

HEY!

Tallon has put a fake team together, comprised of quality second liners, rookies, a star PMD and a joke of a goaltending duo.

[/QUOTE]

Move the team AND fire Tallon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS just wants the team to stay for those $777 season tickets. ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So let's bet:

24. Tampa Bay

25. Edmonton

26. Dallas

27. Carolina

28. Colorado

29. Florida

30. Calgary

I'm in Asmaha, Buffalo and NJ stay out of the bottom as goaltending helps them upwards. No more prop up love for Rutherford and his WolfPack/TarHeels this year. Congrats to Nashville and Colombus for making it out of the trash heep.

No depth for Dallas nor Tampa. Edmonton just likes it down there at the bottom with the Flounder. Yah Feaster is just plain awful!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Seriously.  Even if he just goes to the Boston games, he probably saves money vs. going to three games in Boston.

Are you not entertained?!?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It's really should be 'who's the bottom for 2015', and drafting Conner McDavid. A local boy, from Newmarket On., who is the Next One.                   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Why do I feel like there is a new "next one" every draft year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Why do I feel like there is a new "next one" every draft year?

The only players I can recall getting Gretzky level "Next One" hype heading into the draft were Lemieux, Daigle, Lindros, Crosby and Tavares (though I don't think Lemieux and Daigle got that actual nickname) One win, one bust, one never lived up to the hype, one greast but oft-injured, and one great but to soon to really tell.

For a while there I think I recall Kessel hitting that level of hype for a bit but it was short lived.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I guess it just seems there is always MASSIVE hype for the #1 pick every year. When we drafted Seguin it was Hall vs. Seguin and huge debates ensued. Last year it was "Fail for Nail". I guess I just feel like the #1 pick always ends up being over-hyped.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

For a while there I think I recall Kessel hitting that level of hype for a bit but it was short lived.

Yah right after the teams were done interviewing him LoL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you search Phil Kessel Sidney Crosby next one, you'll turn up a link to CBC sports that asks the question: is Phil Kessel the next Sidney Crosby.  Funny.

Still have to think about who else in goes in the bottom seven for the bet.

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[/QUOTE]

HEY!

[/QUOTE]

Is is Tallon's fault that he's working with a payroll that barely crosses the minimum? I just don't see it ever getting better in Sunrise, as the team will continue to stink because they can't generate any real revenue via tickets, tv, etc to pay for real talent. Chicken and egg, but with far less public tolerance for down years. At least Tampa, Dallas and San Jose prove that a non-traditional market can have the fan base get you through the lean years. In S. FLA, they offer $777 season tickets and it barely covers the air conditioning bill. For players, you need to buy an ice cream to two as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Is is Tallon's fault that he's working with a payroll that barely crosses the minimum? I just don't see it ever getting better in Sunrise, as the team will continue to stink because they can't generate any real revenue via tickets, tv, etc to pay for real talent. Chicken and egg, but with far less public tolerance for down years. At least Tampa, Dallas and San Jose prove that a non-traditional market can have the fan base get you through the lean years. In S. FLA, they offer $777 season tickets and it barely covers the air conditioning bill. For players, you need to buy an ice cream to two as well.

Spending smartly is important.

Sean Bergenheim, Jul 1 2011
    Signed a 4 year $11 million contract with Florida (FLA)

That is not spending smartly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]

Spending smartly is important.

Sean Bergenheim, Jul 1 2011
    Signed a 4 year $11 million contract with Florida (FLA)

That is not spending smartly.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say $2.75 AAV on any contract these days is bad, but you found one. That's a lot of foam #1 fingers there for nothing in return. Maybe if it gets real bad, you can go in as part owner. Or do they already offer that if you buy 3 or more season tickets?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

HEY!

Screw the fans too.  I still haven't forgiven them for throwing the rats all over the ice...

Gonna try to get there for a game this year though.  B's Florida weekend March 8th and 9th...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Screw the fans too.  I still haven't forgiven them for throwing the rats all over the ice...

Gonna try to get there for a game this year though.  B's Florida weekend March 8th and 9th...

Woo!  Let me know!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

No one mentioned Columbus yet? I think that terrible Horton contract will bite them...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

No one mentioned Columbus yet? I think that terrible Horton contract will bite them...

Maybe long-term, but overall they have been improving, and the have the reigning Vezina winner in net. I doubt they'll be in the absolute basement nextt year. Playoff spot may be pushing it though.