Ray Bourque has still got it!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!

Bourque orchestrated his own trade somehow?  The man was a Black and Gold warrior and Bruins management did him a service which he was deserving of.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guy-Fawkes. Show Guy-Fawkes's posts

In those days of penny-pinching, the "traitors" were the upper management and ownership- not the players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Ray is a class act.

I was happy that he was able escape then Bruin purgatory and get a shot at a Cup.  I never felt any ill will towards him for that, guy deserved better during his career from management. 

A couple of cool memories:
    - I attended his last game as a Bruin and have a cool "Last Game" print with the ticket stubs in the frame
    - My wife and I took a pass on a romantic dinner on the last night of our honeymoon to watch Ray win the Cup with the Avs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Again folks, I think you're overstating the case and I never called him a traitor or "chastised" him.  I think Bourque is a great guy, great to kids, and was fantastic as a Bruins -- an icon and a personal hero of mine growing up.  That will never change.

There is just a difference of opinion about how he ended his career.  Some people were happy to see him win a Cup with the Avs.  I wasn't.  Not because I am an ingrate or don't think he deserved it, but because I value the team way, way, way more than the individual and hockey is a team sport.  Bourque left the team, that he was captain of, for personal interests.  The team he left was still fighting for a playoff spot.  I'm not angry or bitter towards the man, but my preference would be for the captain of the Bruins to finish the season out (when they are still in playoff contention), then leave in the offseason if he must.  And yes, he did ask for the trade.  Bad form.

Sorry, that's my opinion, and I know it isn't popular around here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!:
    [QUOTE]Again folks, I think you're overstating the case and I never called him a traitor or "chastised" him.  I think Bourque is a great guy, great to kids, and was fantastic as a Bruins -- an icon and a personal hero of mine growing up.  That will never change. There is just a difference of opinion about how he ended his career.  Some people were happy to see him win a Cup with the Avs.  I wasn't.  Not because I am an ingrate or don't think he deserved it, but because I value the team way, way, way more than the individual and hockey is a team sport.  Bourque left the team, that he was captain of, for personal interests.  The team he left was still fighting for a playoff spot.  I'm not angry or bitter towards the man, but my preference would be for the captain of the Bruins to finish the season out (when they are still in playoff contention), then leave in the offseason if he must.  And yes, he did ask for the trade.  Bad form. Sorry, that's my opinion, and I know it isn't popular around here.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Fletch, but I think you're being stubborn & upset that Ray decided to put himself first over a team he bled for that WASN'T ANYWHERE NEAR WINNING A CUP! The B's were in the play-offs for 29 straight years. They had no hope in winning a Cup in 2000 & you know it! You're argument is childish! You're better than this!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Went to see the game tonight and all I can say was that Bourque as well as the other Bruins present were all class acts during the event.

As expected Bourque was in high demand from the many fans in attendance and he did his best to accommodate as many fans as possible.  One friend of mine had their jersey signed while another just wanted a picture with Bourque, he was more then willing to do both.

I myself was lucky enough to meet Terry O'Reilly and was grateful that he signed the Bruins jersey I brought.  Great night to see some of the greats one again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : You missed Dionne and Perreault.  And I'd have put Lafontaine on the list with his two contemporaries, because he was as good when he wasn't concussed.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I think Dionne is probably at the head of the class, but there are dozens.  How about Brad Park and Sittler?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Some of the Bourque comparisons are silly.  Gretzky, and others, didn't ask to get out.
    Huge difference.

I can understand both sides a bit, but everyone should realize it's a pretty predatory business.  Management looks after itself, and so do the players.  The brand doesn't mean near as much to them...as it does us...and neither work for us.
    When people refuse to accept the obvious "intent", and instead insert "an interpretation to further their argument"....things fly out of gear.  Throw in hero-worship, and we're off to the races.
    Obviously bourque was thinking of himself, when he asked for a trade, so yeah, that's selfish.  Everyone is selfish from time to time.  For 20 of 21 years though, he was a poster child for unselfish.  The parade thing kind of irked me too, but again...intent.  I don't think Bourque's intention was to make this a "see what I did moment".  I believe it was in the spirit of sharing, so I'll give him a pass.  not what I'd do...but no big deal.
      I think he learned from that too.  Notice he wasn't in the parade this year.  I think he and Orr stayed away out of respect to the players.  It was the players day.  They did it, not the ghosts of past greatness, and it should be all about them.

Anyway, my little idiocyncacy...I wish he would have played one more year for the Bruins after the cup.  I have a little inside info on that, and there was some serious consideration.  To me, that would have been a more fitting completion to a great career. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Sorry Fletch, but I think you're being stubborn & upset that Ray decided to put himself first over a team he bled for that WASN'T ANYWHERE NEAR WINNING A CUP! The B's were in the play-offs for 29 straight years. They had no hope in winning a Cup in 2000 & you know it! You're argument is childish! You're better than this!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Why is it "childish" to have a different opinion than you nite?  Ease up on the insults and the exclamation points -- they aren't needed in this discussion, which has been reasonable and interesting so far.  I haven't slung any of that your way.

I think that's a good summary, steve.  I'm not even claiming that if I were in Bourque's shoes I wouldn't have done the same thing.  I'm selfish too sometimes.  This isn't really a judgement on him, as much as it is an observation from a fan that I don't like the current captain of my favorite team leaving to play for a better team, while still in playoff contention.  You got past that and enjoyed him on the Avs.  I didn't.  A simple difference of opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Why is it "childish" to have a different opinion than you nite?  Ease up on the insults and the exclamation points -- they aren't needed in this discussion, which has been reasonable and interesting so far.  I haven't slung any of that your way. I think that's a good summary, steve.  I'm not even claiming that if I were in Bourque's shoes I wouldn't have done the same thing.  I'm selfish too sometimes.  This isn't really a judgement on him, as much as it is an observation from a fan that I don't like the current captain of my favorite team leaving to play for a better team, while still in playoff contention.  You got past that and enjoyed him on the Avs.  I didn't.  A simple difference of opinion.

I tend to agree with you Fletch. Bourque is top 3 favorite players of all time, but I was real dissapointed when he left. He was always dubbed the ultimate captain, and to me, a captain doesnt bail on a sinking ship, he goes down with it. Now I watched every Avalanche playoff game that year and the following year and rooted for him like I always did, but how it ended here, kind of brought him down a notch in my book. Perhaps i had him too high on a pedestal and I'm wrong, buit it's how I feel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Why is it "childish" to have a different opinion than you nite?  Ease up on the insults and the exclamation points -- they aren't needed in this discussion, which has been reasonable and interesting so far.  I haven't slung any of that your way. I think that's a good summary, steve.  I'm not even claiming that if I were in Bourque's shoes I wouldn't have done the same thing.  I'm selfish too sometimes.  This isn't really a judgement on him, as much as it is an observation from a fan that I don't like the current captain of my favorite team leaving to play for a better team, while still in playoff contention.  You got past that and enjoyed him on the Avs.  I didn't.  A simple difference of opinion.
    You're right.. Sorry Fletch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Who else here has won a cup?

thanks for the daily dose of stupid. Sound like a bunch of girls

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Who else here has won a cup? thanks for the daily dose of stupid. Sound like a bunch of girls
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]
    Why? Are girls more likely to discuss what they'd do on their day with the Cup?