Ray has still got it!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Ray has still got it!!

I watched a Boston Bruins alumni game this evening in Sydney ,Nova Scotia.The B's oldtimers played against a local team called ''The Crazy 8's''..Now I know the Crazy 8's are a long way from the NHL but I was very familiar with most of the guys on the team.The team was very solid and would definitely hold their own in most A division recreational tournaments..The B's went with 4 defenceman ,one being Brad Park ..Brad is 62 and was the oldest player on the ice,so he didn't play much ,so the B's basically went with 3 D..Ray Bourque was phenomenal ,he actually appeared to be in spectacular shape .He literally did what he wanted to ,his skating and passing were surreal .The B's won the game 10-6 and Ray had 6 assists.He didn't shoot very often preferring to set up the boys  ..Now I am not suggesting that Ray could handle the physical pounding in the NHL at his current age but couldn't help but wonder how he would do if he was playing today..Thanks Ray,you made my night!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Ray has still got it!!

Good post...Glad you got to see some of the good old guys. Sounds like you had a blast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Ray has still got it!!:
    [QUOTE]Good post...Glad you got to see some of the good old guys. Sounds like you had a blast.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]Ya,it was great to see Middleton,Oreilly [he played defence!!],Ken Linseman,Bob Sweeney,Reggie Lemelin[he played as a forward and he scored twice] etc..Ray was the standout though ,he was a 100 times better than anybody else on the ice,just a beautiful skater ,his passes were like laser beams!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

got family in glace bay.
    cheers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

How old is Ray? I think he's about Recchi's draft vintage isn't he? How would you like having him as your number six d-man...12 - 14 minutes a game...I bet he could handle it.
    The question is, would he want to? Nah...if he did, he would still be playing...wishfull thinking. :-)
    Doc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]How old is Ray? I think he's about Recchi's draft vintage isn't he? How would you like having him as your number six d-man...12 - 14 minutes a game...I bet he could handle it. The question is, would he want to? Nah...if he did, he would still be playing...wishfull thinking. :-) Doc
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

Bourque was drafted in '79 and turned 50 a few months ago.  Recchi was drafted in '88. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray has still got it!! : Ya,it was great to see Middleton,Oreilly [he played defence!!],Ken Linseman,Bob Sweeney,Reggie Lemelin[he played as a forward and he scored twice] etc..Ray was the standout though ,he was a 100 times better than anybody else on the ice,just a beautiful skater ,his passes were like laser beams!!
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

wait a minute...  I believed all of this up until you allege that O'Reilly played d.

How?

I know for a fact he cannot skate backwards.

Come to think of it, he had trouble skating forward as well...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray has still got it!! : wait a minute...  I believed all of this up until you allege that O'Reilly played d. How?   I know for a fact he cannot skate backwards. Come to think of it, he had trouble skating forward as well...
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Yes,Terry played D.Yes,he was pretty shakey on his skates but amazingly the puck seemed to follow him.He actually threw two bodychecks and you could still see the aggression in his game.The Bruins D on this night was ;Bourque,O'Reilly,Shoebottom and Park.Only Brad didn't stay on the ice very long and looked completely lost 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Didn't Guy Lafleur come out of retirement around the same age?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

lol, mountain man Shoebottom... does he still have the flaming red mop and beard ? Looked like a Norseman...

They used to throw shoes an the ice at he Gawden after he'd fight during his short career w/ the Bs....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Why not bring back Bobby Orr
    ???????

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 (???) 2012-2013

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]They used to throw shoes an the ice at he Gawden after he'd fight during his short career w/ the Bs....
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]

I don't remember that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

One day Ray will be the Bs coach...i am pretty sure about it!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]lol, mountain man Shoebottom... does he still have the flaming red mop and beard ? Looked like a Norseman... They used to throw shoes an the ice at he Gawden after he'd fight during his short career w/ the Bs....
    Posted by Griswal65[/QUOTE]
    He wore a ballcap instead of a helmet,it looked pretty silly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

My Dad had a steak with Terry O'Reilly in Port Hawkesbury the night before.  Good times!  A person came up to Terry and asked him to sighn his Jersey where there was an opening.  It was above Ray Bourque's signature.  Terry said he'll have to find another spot.  No one sign's above Ray.