Recchi Should Be Scratched

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Recchi Should Be Scratched

This post is not intended to take anything away from the amazing game at TD Garden last night.  That was a thing of beauty and hopefully is this year's version of the 2008 Dallas game.

I was at the game last night and tried to watch Recchi when he was on the ice.  Positioning is still decent, but he really kills the Bruins breakout.  He doesn't have the speed, and on top of it, he has lost most of his touch.  If you don't believe me, watch for it next game.  Not that the Bruins breakout game has been stellar this year or anything, but botched passes and tips off the wall, in addition to needing half the sheet to get his feet moving.  He's still valuable to the team as a veteran presence.  But he should not be getting more than ~10-12 minutes per night.  And don't be fooled by his point totals, most of those goals were simply him being johnny on the spot.

If it were my decision, I would sit Recchi in favor of Marchand (and keep Stone-Hands Paille in there).  I think a Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin combo would be exciting to watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Recchi Should Be Scratched

In order to be Johnny on the spot a hockey player puts himself in that position but I'm also not opposed to Thornton and Recchi taking a few nights off here n there to develop the kids like Arniel, Sauve, Caron and Marchand.

Recchi is a veteran and is on pace for 50 points so I don't see Julien agreeing with us. I mean Claude just doesn't like rookies it's very evident.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Recchi Should Be Scratched:
    [QUOTE]And don't be fooled by his point totals, most of those goals were simply him being johnny on the spot. If it were my decision, I would sit Recchi in favor of Marchand (and keep Stone-Hands Paille in there).  I think a Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin combo would be exciting to watch.
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

Being in the right place at the right time is a key to being a good hockey player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

No way Clod benches this guy. Clod doesn't have the balz to do it. If he just puts him on the 4th line I would be happy. Honestly, I have to wonder if some players aren't annoyed by Chia/Clod's worship of this guy. He is a mediocre player at 45. The players know this and know he isn't getting it done on many nites.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Id like to see him in providence working with the young guys, not saying he cant play with the Bs but theres more speed and younger guys ready.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Should Be Scratched:
    [QUOTE]Id like to see him in providence working with the young guys, not saying he cant play with the Bs but theres more speed and younger guys ready.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

Like whom?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

I would think even Recchi would agree that being played sparingly is not out of the question.....everyone knows he has had a wonderful productive career and respect the fact at 43 is still not that bad....but realistically should he not be eased back and maybe save something for the playoff run...surely this will be his final year and time to give youth its chance...keeping Recchi in the coaching venue down the road would seem advantageous but with every hockey player there does come a time to hang 'em up and I really feel Marks time has arrived! The Bruins do have 3 or 4 guys that really deserve a shot in Caron Arneil or Sauve.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Should Be Scratched:
    [QUOTE]In order to be Johnny on the spot a hockey player puts himself in that position but I'm also not opposed to Thornton and Recchi taking a few nights off here n there to develop the kids like Arniel, Sauve, Caron and Marchand. Recchi is a veteran and is on pace for 50 points so I don't see Julien agreeing with us. I mean Claude just doesn't like rookies it's very evident.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Recchi is very useful.  One he can still check, he can still score, and like NAS said he is good at positioning himself to help the team win.  Now, he belongs on the fourth line, Marchand ( I am eating crow ) should be playing with Bergeron and Seguin.  Recchi just cannot skate as well anymore, he is valuable on the PP and invaluable in the playoffs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Nice to see others are noticing the same Recchi problems. In Claude's 2 in 1 back offense, Mark is now at a disadvantage and his puck handling has deteriorated significantly. Yes NAS, he does know where to go in front of the crease, but, more often this year, he is being dumped out before he can participate. IMO he should share time with Thornton on the 4th line. Less ice time and still available for PP. As suggested above, Marchand has the wrist shot and puck handling skills that will enhance the Bergeron line.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

We all respect Recchi but that doesn't mean he should get a full shift every night.  Last year he started slow then got it going.  Doesn't seem so this year.  He contributes little.  As bogie says above, "his puckhandling has deteriorated significantly."  

I don't see putting him on the fourth line-- a line that has forechecking alacrity and is producing as it is, with either Marchand or Paille.  They rely on that quick jump into the corners to snitch the puck and create scoring chances.  Recchi would just slow them down, like he's doing with his current line. 

The only solution is to healthy scratch him and bring in the new talent.  Not likely now because Julien seems to value him .  But maybe Cam and PC will help him see the light.  After a string of healthy scratches, Recchi might well retire.