Reminded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Reminded

Every game i watch im reminded of the players that are out with injurys and those who have been rrecently. When i think about it, right now with seid kelly and erikkson out and just getting hamilton back ( ill mention thornton out too with suspension) this team is in pretty dam good shape considering. The call ups have all contributed more in a positive way than a negative way. Some here call for benching and so on ( im gulty of it too(marchand) but i can just imagine the pressure on the young players in this situation and how the Bs brass keeps them confident is  grade A. Cheers to the new year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Reminded

It's a really, really good team.

If they can ever get healthy, it'll be yet another deep run and who knows!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a really, really good team.

If they can ever get healthy, it'll be yet another deep run and who knows!

[/QUOTE]

And stay healthy! I've said it before and i'll say it again, that is the most important part to a long playoff run.......that and great goaltending and a few bounces! :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

the call ups have all contributed more in a positive way than a negative way.

[/QUOTE]

The positive way ?

They have been filling in with quality minutes in the lower spots in the lineup.

The negative way ?

Some feel these guys should be contributing more on the scoresheet as bottom end of the lineup players. One thought ..........were the guys playing on the bottom end before injuries doing this ? 

I'm of the former way of thinking when it comes to these call-ups.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Yes, this is a good team.  Not to be negative, but I think it's unrealistic to "expect' a deep run.  Rather "hoped for".

If you look at the last 3 seasons, in two of them, they probably should have gone out in the first round.  Both years, they went to the finals.  The year they did go down in the first, it can be argued they were the better team.  Going into the playoffs last year, all the talk was Pittsburgh.  Basically the same bunch this year, but they don't seem too high on anyones radar because of what happenned against the Bruins.

It's a crazy game and there's a ton of parity.  There'll be some huge upsets in the playoffs.

I think the Bruins are a better playoff team than they were last year though.  Regardless of the outcome, I'll take this years healthy squad over last years any day.  The only issue is Seidenbergs unfortunate injury.  That's a really tough spot to fill.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

the call ups have all contributed more in a positive way than a negative way.

[/QUOTE]

The positive way ?

They have been filling in with quality minutes in the lower spots in the lineup.

The negative way ?

Some feel these guys should be contributing more on the scoresheet as bottom end of the lineup players. One thought ..........were the guys playing on the bottom end before injuries doing this ? 

I'm of the former way of thinking when it comes to these call-ups.

[/QUOTE]

Thinking?   You think.  Since when?   Mark this down as a big day.  Way to offer something.  Proud of you.  actual hockey talk.  It was negative but at least you put a slimmer of thought in it.  Good job grumpy old man. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The negative, as it usually is with rookies and call-ups, is in the defensive game.  Again, take plus-minus for what it's worth, but the worst plus-minus players on the team have been call-ups and Caron.  Now, part of that is that they aren't putting up the plusses to counter the occasions when they get hemmed in and ultimately give up a goal, or when they get caught deep and give up and odd-man rush.  But those things are happening, and with enough frequency that you don't want to give them too much ice or it could cost you games.  Spooner's been the best at both ends, but there's a reason Johnson isn't still in Boston, and I don't think it's just contract status.  We've seen growing pains from Krug, Bartkowski, and, to a lesser extent, Miller.  If you're not expecting that, though, you're being unrealistic.  I like the Bowman rule as a rule of thumb.  Every rookie you have in your starting lineup costs you a game or two (that is, an extra game or two vs. what the average veteran would) over the course of a season.  You just have to live with it. 

The D call-ups have been excellent.  The F call-ups have been generic except for Spooner.  I doubt the average fan knows who Matt Fraser, Sweethands or Florek are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I like the Bowman rule as a rule of thumb.  Every rookie you have in your starting lineup costs you a game or two (that is, an extra game or two vs. what the average veteran would) over the course of a season.  You just have to live with it. "

Clinging to this rule veteran coaches basically only want call ups for injury, on a short term basis and then you end up with Begin/Whitfield/Mottau/Pouliot/Rolston slugging along your roster. I can live with prospect mistakes as they learn all day long.

"The F call-ups have been generic except for Spooner.  I doubt the average fan knows who Matt Fraser, Sweethands or Florek are."

Red Sox and Pat fans can stay where they are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment: 

The D call-ups have been excellent.  The F call-ups have been generic except for Spooner.  I doubt the average fan knows who Matt Fraser, Sweethands or Florek are.

[/QUOTE]

Is generic that bad though considering the roles they are filling ? Quality minutes is what's expected from them. That's what they've given.

P.S. And for those who think quality minutes must include getting your name on the score sheet ? You're wrong. There are other facets to the game that help teams win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment: 

[/QUOTE]

Is generic that bad though considering the roles they are filling ? Quality minutes is what's expected from them. That's what they've given.

P.S. And for those who think quality minutes must include getting your name on the score sheet ? You're wrong. There are other facets to the game that help teams win.

[/QUOTE]

The forward call ups have generally done what has been required of them in a limited roll, that part is correct, it seems to do the job correctly you have to come up and show a little more than Jordy Caron, which hasn't been hard. Fraser on one hand has been known to score at other levels but this is the NHL and things happen much quicker, i think he finds it a lot tougher to even get a shot off.