Richards to Rangers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Re: Richards to Rangers

In Response to Re: Richards to Rangers:
    [QUOTE]Yes, Messier came to NY and brought alot of his Oiler buddies. But this should be pointed out....It was a Ranger draft pick who played college puck up in your neck of the woods at BC by the name of Brian Leetch who won the Conn Smythe that year. And it was another Rangers prospect by the name of Mike Richter who goalied that team past a far more talented Vancouver team than the 1 your Bruins just beat. McLean>Luongo. Bure,Linden,Ronning>Sedins, Kessler.
    Posted by nyjnyynyrnyk[/QUOTE]

Is that the best you can do? Imagine. teams with NO salary cap, were able to ice stronger teams than are playing now.
    No kidding!!
    The cup winners may not be as powerful, as teams a decade ago, but winning the cup is even sweeter now, because it is a much more even playing field, and no one can buy the cup anymore. They have to earn it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In New York, it's not always about wins and losses, but about making the news and keeping up with the Joneses.  In this case, the Joneses are the Yankees.  New York fans are used to their team getting the top guy available.  MSG is sold out for every game, every year, and so Sather isn't going anywhere.  He understands the business model. 

If the Islanders win the Cup next season and the Rangers finish in the middle and miss the playoffs, the Rangers will still hold 10 times the popular vote in New York.  "Hey we're trying, come see us win" is enough to sell all the tickets they need to sell.  Whether or not they actually do is a different story.

Check the newspapers from New York today.  It's all NYY with some NYM.  They also have to compete (usually) with NYG, NYJ and the (lol) Knicks.  Tomorrow's papers, in July, will have the Rangers as the #1 story.  Their model is to stay in the news and if they happen to win along the way, hey, all the better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]You are right RHO. The Rangers have a history of signing the most expensive UFA's and then seeing them go broadway and forget how to play hockey. There must be something in the water there.....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

jm - Should be interesting to see what hooking up with Tortorella again does for him. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Good news for Richards: he never has to worry about money again. Bad news for Richards: he won't hoist a Cup. I guess the question is whether he minds the trade off?
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

He already has won the Cup (and the Conn Smythe).  Might as well be set for life, and have his kids be set for life, and have his grand kids be set for life...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Messier came to NY and brought alot of his Oiler buddies. But this should be pointed out....It was a Ranger draft pick who played college puck up in your neck of the woods at BC by the name of Brian Leetch who won the Conn Smythe that year. And it was another Rangers prospect by the name of Mike Richter who goalied that team past a far more talented Vancouver team than the 1 your Bruins just beat. McLean />Luongo. Bure,Linden,Ronning>Sedins, Kessler.

Allow me to sum up:

The Bruins won the Cup. Your smurfs didn't.
    Now shut the f*ck up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Richards to Rangers : and your last cup was because the entire edmonton oilers franchise was bought, paid for, and placed in manhattan.  Don't think otherwise.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

The 1994 Rangers were built through free agency, the draft and some decent trading.  They traded some very good hockey players to built that team.

I wouldn't call that Cup bought at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

considering the lunacy that went on July 1st, i'd say Richards was a bargain....

just glad he didn't return to Tampa with all the offense they already possess....

wonder what all those execs who lined up yesterday to make their pitch are thinking about Richards now.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

We had better not hear any owners crying poor in the not too distant future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to From Puck Daddy: Rangers sign prized Free Agent center to huge 9 year deal the same week they buy out Chris Drury! I love hockey!
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

Brian Burke went to plan B he signed Tim Connally from Buffalo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Ugh This is one player i didn't want to see in the East, let alone on the Rangers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Richards to Rangers : Allow me to sum up: The Bruins won the Cup. Your smurfs didn't. Now shut the f*ck up.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

Best cliff notes ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

[QUOTE]I have no doubt in my mind the Bruins Cup run wouldn't have even got out of Round 1 if they drew the Rangers. Getting Montreal was a blessing for them. The Rangers always play the Bruins tough, Took 3/4 from them this year, Won both games in Boston. The Bruins are no powerhouse, They simply got hot at the right time. They're no Detroit, NJ, or Pittsburgh in the makings, They won in a year where Crosby and Malkin were on the sidelines. And they should give Joe Thornton a ring for knocking out Detroit who is a far more Cup savvy team than Vancouver. The Wings wouldn't have been at all scared playing on the road in the Finals like the Canucks were. Things broke your way, Don't think otherwise.
    All teams that have won the cup get some kind of breaks along the way. DON'T THINK OTHERWISE. Bruins busted their buts to win that cup and deserve it.
    DON'T THINK OTHERWISE!