Rick DiPietro: The saga of a poor man

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rick DiPietro: The saga of a poor man

@KMaherNews12

"DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."

"I asked DiPietro if he thinks he's still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, "I don't know."

LoL!

"DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point."

@KatieStrangESPN

#Isles "Just spoke with Rick DiPietro, who assured me he was totally kidding. Although he knows that's not something to joke about anymore"

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1010674

"DiPietro gave up five goals on just twelve shots"

You cannot make this up...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Rick DiPietro: The saga of a poor man

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

@KMaherNews12

"DiPietro told me Isles waiving him felt like, "they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet."

"I asked DiPietro if he thinks he's still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, "I don't know."

LoL!

"DiPietro also admitted injuries, losing and fan hatred over the past 3 years made him think about killing himself at one point."

@KatieStrangESPN

#Isles "Just spoke with Rick DiPietro, who assured me he was totally kidding. Although he knows that's not something to joke about anymore"

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1010674

"DiPietro gave up five goals on just twelve shots"

You cannot make this up...

After that performance his Bridgeport teammates might be thinking "Man, you better have brought that 15 year contract-sized wallet with you for the dinners."  Has to be a kick in the pants to be in his situation after so many years of being perceived as the number one - frequently hurt but still holding the standing of the top guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Sandog, what's wrong with this guy?

Let's cheer him up. We'll take him to the track. Make sure he brings his wallet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Wheatskins's comment:

Let's cheer him up. We'll take him to the track. Make sure he brings his wallet.

That's gotta come, Wheats.  He's still got some years to go on that deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to Wheatskins's comment:

That's gotta come, Wheats.  He's still got some years to go on that deal.

What's to worry about, RHO? He'll have a great time. We'll have a great time. Thanks to that wallet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fan hatred.  As far as I've read/heard, he's a pretty nice, easy going guy.

But people literally hate him because he signed a contract and got hurt often.

Pretty sad.  There are tons of bad people to hate.  No need to hate DiPietro.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I doubt this would be such a pleasant conversation if DiPietro were a Bruin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If he was totally kidding about killing himself it was one sick joke. I have admired his perseverance for coming back from all of his injuries but what a stupid comment to make. 

Should anyone be making those types of comments in a kidding manner in public, considering what happened in 2011 with Belak and Rypien ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

If he was totally kidding about killing himself it was one sick joke. I have admired his perseverance for coming back from all of his injuries but what a stupid comment to make. 

Should anyone be making those types of comments in a kidding manner in public, considering what happened in 2011 with Belak and Rypien ?

I think it was used for emphasis of despair, not to get a round of laughs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

I doubt this would be such a pleasant conversation if DiPietro were a Bruin.

I know it would be on my end.  I'm level minded enough to be able to separate humans from jerseys.

Example: I hate Shawn Thornton's contract and his style of play.  When I see him out signing autographs, I don't go up and tell him that I hate him.  I don't hate him.  I hate his contract and his uselessness on the ice.  I don't blame the man for getting paid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

Yah I hear he is a nice guy, i'm sure he'll get us a nice box suite and buy some hats too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I think it was used for emphasis of despair, not to get a round of laughs. 

I never considered it as getting a round of laughs. I'm saying what he used for that conversation was poorly chosen. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

DiPietro before and just after his year at B.U used to come to a rink I played shinny at would play. he never wanted to take time away from one of us if there was more than 1 goalie, but we didnt care. Seemed like a real nice kid, used to give us tips, sticks and handed out a couple of practice jerseys. Real good sense of humor, always joking around, didnt seem to take himself too seriously. He would do stuff, in full goalie gear, with the puck that made everyone just shake their heads in awe. I hope he turns his career around...On a side note, and this was over 10 years ago, his mom was an absolute smoke show.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I never considered it as getting a round of laughs. I'm saying what he used for that conversation was poorly chosen. 

I can see your point of view, but disagree with it. 

From ESPN:

DiPietro said he told the reporter that if he had not had his wife's support through all the lows he has experienced -- most recently being waived by the Islanders -- that he'd have driven himself "into a tree."

It's not like he said he "when I found out I got waived, I thought about shooting myself in the head".

This is a passing statement that the media has blown into something a heck of a lot bigger.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Everyone needs to just relax in this world.

More from ESPN:

A source also told ESPNNewYork.com that the appropriate medical personnel within the league have been notified about DiPietro's comments, as has the NHL Players Association, in the event there is any outstanding concern for his well-being.

This is as pathethic as this:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/fresh-prince-theme-leads-school-lockdown-224259936.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

From ESPN:

DiPietro said he told the reporter that if he had not had his wife's support through all the lows he has experienced -- most recently being waived by the Islanders -- that he'd have driven himself "into a tree."

It's not like he said he "when I found out I got waived, I thought about shooting myself in the head".

This is a passing statement that the media has blown into something a heck of a lot bigger.

It is only a passing statement to those who don't understand mental illness. IMO statements like this have no business being used in a public forum. There are different ways to express how one feels.

Edit : if he was kidding.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wonder where DiPietro takes his wife shopping every 1st and 15th ?

Cue the violins! He wants people to feel sorry for him with statements like that, good luck.

That panzy can go cry a river all he wants, what an excuse he has now for not working hard to get back where he once was. "Oh see I've diagnosed as a manic depressive". Pfffttt

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I can see your point of view, but disagree with it. 

From ESPN:

I agree nas.  This type of sensationalism is becoming mainstream.  I know it's standard news practice nowdays,  but sports journalism seems to almost be getting worse.  Wish they'd focus more on the drama of the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think he was using it as an example to how he felt. My wife asked me the other day if I wanted to go furniture shopping with her. I responded I would rather chew glass. Would I rather chew glass? No, but I do hate shopping for furniture..Though I must say, jordans had some nice chocolate chip cookies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I agree nas.  This type of sensationalism is becoming mainstream.  I know it's standard news practice nowdays,  but sports journalism seems to almost be getting worse.  Wish they'd focus more on the drama of the game.

Yes, stevegm.

The headlines made you think he said something like, "When they informed me that I was waived, I went home and thought about just swallowing a bottle of pills and ending it all."

No, he stated that it was hard being injured all the time and his wife was huge for support and without her, he'd probably have driven himself into a tree.

That's not really a suicide contemplation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

The media hears what DiPietro said and they ran with it. Are they supposed to avoid it altogether and put it down as " ah he was only kidding" ?

It was newsworthy considering what came out of his mouth originally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought he came back after the fact and said he was "joking" with the suicide comments.  Ill-advised.

The image DiPietro has always projected is "arrogant" or "cocky".  People love to hate cocky players, especially when they get taken down a peg.  Part of that was his tendency to throw tantrums and appear to blame his D whenever a goal was scored.

I never minded the contract in theory; it was always the elevated risk of injury with the particular guy who got that contract that made it seem foolish.  First year of that deal, he was 2.58 GAA and .919 s% in 62 games.  That s% was 11th in the league and 6th among goalies who played more than 10 games.  If you thought you had a 25 yr old goalie who would be a top 10 goalie in the league for the next decade and more, AND you were entering the uncharted waters of a Cap system, wouldn't you want to find a way to lock up the most important position on the ice for as long as possible at the best deal possible?  The way revenues grew, $4.5M will look like a deal for a top tier goalie.  I'd love the Bruins to sign their 25 yr old starter to a max length deal at $4.5, but I doubt Rask is interested in that.  He'll get between $5.75 and $6.5 for five years or more.  Revenues will have to top $4B before that looks like a steal, but $4.5 would look like one right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I thought he came back after the fact and said he was "joking" with the suicide comments.  Ill-advised.

The image DiPietro has always projected is "arrogant" or "cocky".  People love to hate cocky players, especially when they get taken down a peg.  Part of that was his tendency to throw tantrums and appear to blame his D whenever a goal was scored.

I never minded the contract in theory; it was always the elevated risk of injury with the particular guy who got that contract that made it seem foolish.  First year of that deal, he was 2.58 GAA and .919 s% in 62 games.  That s% was 11th in the league and 6th among goalies who played more than 10 games.  If you thought you had a 25 yr old goalie who would be a top 10 goalie in the league for the next decade and more, AND you were entering the uncharted waters of a Cap system, wouldn't you want to find a way to lock up the most important position on the ice for as long as possible at the best deal possible?  The way revenues grew, $4.5M will look like a deal for a top tier goalie.  I'd love the Bruins to sign their 25 yr old starter to a max length deal at $4.5, but I doubt Rask is interested in that.  He'll get between $5.75 and $6.5 for five years or more.  Revenues will have to top $4B before that looks like a steal, but $4.5 would look like one right now.

Yep, most definitely a poor choice by him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wasn't it at the World Juniors he went up to Steve Ott durng the pre-game and guaranteed a shut out? They ended up losing 1-0, can't recall who score the goal for Canada, may have been Ott...He was cocky, but he was real good too.