R.I.P. Adam Yauch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : isla - I couldn't agree with you more.  The Beasties and others from the same golden era of rap that included Big Daddy Kane, M. C. Lyte, Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, RUN-DMC, Kurtis Blow, Pete Rock & C. L. Smooth, Naughty By Nature, US3 prove the genre as presented today is dead.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

You forgot Vanilla Ice and Snow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

I worked in a group home for wards of the state in Massachusetts and somewhere on the MTV countdown would be some Poison and some Ratt and Living On A Prayer and then Fight For Your Right ... the boys would go bonkers.  Personally, I couldn't wait for them to bed down and go to sleep so I could listen to some Jethro Tull.  Not my favorite era, but I admire what Adam Yauch represented and I never like hearing that someone has left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : You forgot Vanilla Ice and Snow .
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Snow.  Man, there's a name from the past.  Still remember Jim Carey impersonating him on In Living Colour.  He called his song Imposter instead of Informer.  Nice one, jm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : Snow.  Man, there's a name from the past.  Still remember Jim Carey impersonating him on In Living Colour.  He called his song Imposter instead of Informer.  Nice one, jm.

LOL! I totally remember that!! Carey also did a killer Michael Jackson impersonation on that show too. Funny considering he was the only caucasian male on the cast. I believe he went by the first name of James back then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : LOL! I totally remember that!! Carey also did a killer Michael Jackson impersonation on that show too. Funny considering he was the only caucasian male on the cast. I believe he went by the first name of James back then.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    Always listen to Fire Marshall Bill.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Like I said, I never heard of this guy before. The way everyone is talking about him you'd think he qualifies for Sainthood. I guess that must make Beethoven, Mozart and Verdi - Gods. Let's get back to hockey now.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Certainly not a saint.  Truthfully, he was my least favorite of the three.  However, unlike Ringo, without MCA the B-Boys wouldn't have been the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I was going to post some of my favorite MCA lines, but there are too many of them.  I don't really get sad when people die, but I'm happy to have seen these blokes a few times when I was in high school and college.  I never cared for the activism, but I sure do love the music. Paul's Boutique, License To Ill, Check Your Head and Ill Communication are staples in my life.  Okay, how about: 

A lot of parents like to think I'm a villian. 
    I'm just chillin', like Bob Dylan.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Cogent and pithy lyrics, thought provoking and invokes the activism of the 60's.  Somewhat less intellectual is one of my favorite lyrics, but equally thought provoking;

The Sheriff is after me for what I did to his daughter. 
    I did it like this, I did it like that. 
    I did it with the whiffle ball bat.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

You have to admire a band that started out as a strictly rap group and learned how to play instruments.  They could have easily stuck with the formula that made them famous and made a ton of money, but they changed their sound and took some chances.  Their instrumentals were very good and appealed to many who couldn't stand the sound of their first two albums.  I was playing an instrumental compilation album a couple of weeks ago, and my wife couldn't believe that it was the Beastie Boys.

I'm kicking myself for never seeing the Beastie Boys in concert.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : Wheats - You've mentioned before that your a fan of soul and with the immortal names you've listed here I can see why.  Quite the eclectic taste ranging from Tony Bennett to The Godfather James Brown.  I can also see some Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Al Green, Booker T. & The M. G.'s and O' Jays among your collection.  Well done, buddy. 

Right on, RHO!

Just seeing or hearing these names - Wheatie gets his groove back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]You have to admire a band that started out as a strictly rap group and learned how to play instruments.  They could have easily stuck with the formula that made them famous and made a ton of money, but they changed their sound and took some chances.  Their instrumentals were very good and appealed to many who couldn't stand the sound of their first two albums.  I was playing an instrumental compilation album a couple of weeks ago, and my wife couldn't believe that it was the Beastie Boys. I'm kicking myself for never seeing the Beastie Boys in concert.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

They started out at as a punk group and turned to rap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Interesting to hear what some of you listen to.
    Last bunch of songs that came up on my iPod:
    Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues
    Benny Goodman - Swing Swing Swing
    David Gray - Babylon
    The Clash - Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad
    Mark Knopfler (Ex of Dire Straits) - Silvertown Blues
    The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death
    Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash (Love the version by Social Distortion too)
    and currently playing: Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring

Quite a mix this morning!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who fights cancer is top shelf imb.  As for the Beastie Boys, they saved music with applying melody to rap, me thinks I am overstating for sure.  The best hip hop is what you don't hear on the RADIO.  Soul music ala Motown era is the best.  BTW Ten year anniversary of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!  Damn good music... but nothing beats YO LA TENGO.   Jeff Tweedy's "Bob Dlyan Beard".......ha NAS! Me best is Cracker.... love the line....  "Lazy bones get your beautiful azz out of bed"..... Irreverent David Lowrey is the best!  Camper Van Beethoven for you old time 80-90s punkers! Ok that trip is over back to the Bs.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I don't dig Wilco, but am a huge Cracker fan. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Variety is the spice of life. I would have never guessed you posters as fans of this particular music.

But, at least you are Bruin fans, so you can't be that bad.

My son is a fan of Metallica (who make me sick, by the way) and during the playoffs last year he says to me: "Wow, they play a lot of Metallica at TD Garden." (He's not Bruin fan, just a hockey fan, and it was the first time he paid attention to a Bruin game from TD Garden).

"What are you talking about?" I say to him.

"Listen. They've played 5 pieces before the face-offs already." he says.

"I don't notice these things. For me it's just noise. I'm too into the game to pay attention to that staff." I say to him.

To this day, apart from the goal song and the odd organ play, I still don't notice what they play at TD Garden.

I will never forget, during the Bobby Orr era, as Fred Cusick was summarizing the scoring at the end of the game, Organist John Kiley would always play "Roll Out The Barrells" Polka only after a Bruin win. I heard it often.

Everytime I hear that tune I think of Fred Cusick, Bobby Orr & Company and a Bruin Victory. And the International House of Pancakes (who used to be a major sponsor of the radio broadcasts).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]And the International House of Pancakes (who used to be a major sponsor of the radio broadcasts).
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

In the mid-90's, I was on the road a lot at night during games, so I became very familiar with Bob Wilson...and the Giant Glass commercials.  "What do you do when your windshield's busted?  Call us!  Call Giant Glass!"  1-800-54-GIANT

B

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'll always remember hearing No Sleep Till Brooklyn in one of Steven Segal's early 90's movies.  Think it was Out For Justice and him driving beneath an underpass with an abandoned puppy in his car.  Anyway it preceded him busting some heads. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]You have to admire a band that started out as a strictly rap group and learned how to play instruments.  They could have easily stuck with the formula that made them famous and made a ton of money, but they changed their sound and took some chances.  Their instrumentals were very good and appealed to many who couldn't stand the sound of their first two albums.  I was playing an instrumental compilation album a couple of weeks ago, and my wife couldn't believe that it was the Beastie Boys. I'm kicking myself for never seeing the Beastie Boys in concert.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Mutant - They actually were a punk band originally. Morphed into a genre-bending band that used rap as part of the mix. The stumbled in to rap after spoofing rap in a song and built on it from there. I believe they already knew how to play instruments.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Seen hundreds and hundreds of concerts in my life and Beastie Boys in 2004 was probably in my top 5 all time (pretty good company with The Kinks, early Flaming Lips, The '77 Grateful Dead, and Minutemen). Insanely fun and talented bunch. Saw the BB Gala Event in Boston in '07 too. MCA was always my favorite (the bass player...natch). A great man, even if he did love basketball. The Beasties were something that my Son and I always could bond over. Travel well, Adam.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

I WAS A BROTHA LIVING IN ny AT THE TIME THESE GUYS broke out. I WAS INTO RUN DMC at the time. tells you a lot about race relations back then that every brotha i knew was jamming with those early tracks. they had it all. could rap, play their own instruments and were master showmen. funny, it was the manager brotha russell simmons of run dmc fame (brother of Run) who give them their big break and was their early manager as well. the producer rick rubin though helped put them over the top with their first big single (you gotta fight) and likewise also worked with run dmc. we need more of such integrations today. anywho, this is my fave beasties song ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3gH27Fn6E&ob=av2e

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Not a big fan of Hip Hop--- don't consider it Music---- Led Zepplin-- now thats more up my alley.  But still sad to see anyone lose their struggle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Not a big fan of Hip Hop--- don't consider it Music---- Led Zepplin-- now thats more up my alley.  But still sad to see anyone lose their struggle.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

So what do you consider it?  OF COURSE IT'S MUSIC! 

That doesn't mean you like it....or have to like it.  But it's not insurance or stock quotes.  Hip Hop is indeed music.  As for Zeppelin.....thumbs up!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I have no control over what music plays in my vehicle anymore, I used to always have it on 98.5 the sports hub. Thats changed since two of my daughters are 6 and 5. Now, it's all Katie Perry, Taylor Swift, Miranda Cosgrove, Lady GaGa, etc....The other day at work, a colleague caught me singing the words to one of them.

Now thats sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Not a big fan of Hip Hop--- don't consider it Music---- Led Zepplin-- now thats more up my alley.  But still sad to see anyone lose their struggle.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

I don't consider Led Zepplin music.  I consider it noise with some high pitched woman screaming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : Mutant - They actually were a punk band originally. Morphed into a genre-bending band that used rap as part of the mix. The stumbled in to rap after spoofing rap in a song and built on it from there. I believe they already knew how to play instruments.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]HAPPENED AFTER THEY ADDED AD-ROCK TO THE GROUP. HE WASNT PART OF THE ORIGINAL lineup. ad-rock is frankly the best rapper of the three though i always loved the delivery and flow of MCA. he was right in your face. no sleep to brooklyn was all about his flow!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

My favourite Beastie Boys song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf5uJYGoiU&feature=relmfu

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]I'll always remember hearing No Sleep Till Brooklyn in one of Steven Segal's early 90's movies.  Think it was Out For Justice and him driving beneath an underpass with an abandoned puppy in his car.  Anyway it preceded him busting some heads. 

RHO, believe it or not, my father and Segal's mother are cousins twice removed. No word of a lie.

Her mother's family is originally from Cosenza region of Calabria, Italy. Her maternal great-grandmother and my Dad's paternal great-grandmother were sisters. This I found out on my trip to Italy in 2004. Her side of the family immigrated, originally, to Chicago and surrounding area. My Dad's side went to Toronto, a few to Chicago and Melbourne, Australia.

Last year, I found out that Steven Tyler's grandfather (surname Talarico) is from the same region and I will investigate on my next trip.

Also from the same region is the family of Regis Philbin (no wonder Frank Sinatra gave him his big break), but there is no relation there as his ancestry traces back to Albania.