RIP Rick Rypien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

RIP Rick Rypien

Found dead today in his home according to TSN. Tragic ending to a troubled players life.  Was looking forward to seeing him play for Winnipeg this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: RIP Rick Rypien

Canuck fans are in mourning, and sending condolences to his family.

Such a shame.  The guy was obviously battling his own demons, and they won out in the end.  Hopefully, at peace now.

I'll miss his heart and determination.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Sad news. 

I met up with him a few times when Manitoba played Grand Rapids. I didn't know him well but he seemed like a decent guy.

R.I.P.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Pound for pound, he was the best fighter in the NHL. RIP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Very sad.  I always liked to watch this guy play and I think the Canucks really missed him in the playoffs.  Being an NHL tough guy is a tough job.  It sure sounds like a suicide from what I have read, which frankly, makes it even sadder.

Hope he and his family can find peace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: RIP Rick Rypien:
    [QUOTE]Canuck fans are in mourning, and sending condolences to his family. Such a shame.  The guy was obviously battling his own demons, and they won out in the end.  Hopefully, at peace now. I'll miss his heart and determination.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Very sad.  RIP Rick!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Rypien’s agent Allain Roy said Monday evening before his client’s death had been confirmed that he was surprised at the spread of the then-rumoured event on Twitter. Roy said he’d spoken with Rypien on the weekend and that all seemed well."

“He was fine,” said Roy. “He was excited about going to Winnipeg and getting ready for training camp.”

Guess you never really know no matter how well you know someone. Too young to die for sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

God Bless the Rypien Family!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The number of these guys who are dying?  It won't be long before there's enough of a pattern, coupled with enough of the Brain study material, for teh NHL to be considered negligent if they don't take steps to drastically reduce fighting or even remove it from the core of the game (i.e. tolerate it, but limit it the way the NBA limits flagrant fouls and technicals - automatic suspension for a third fight in a season, longer suspensions for a fourth, fifth and sixth fight, season for anything beyond that).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Suicide or OD? 

He had some off ice issues.  Tough dude.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The number of these guys who are dying?  It won't be long before there's enough of a pattern, coupled with enough of the Brain study material, for teh NHL to be considered negligent if they don't take steps to drastically reduce fighting or even remove it from the core of the game (i.e. tolerate it, but limit it the way the NBA limits flagrant fouls and technicals - automatic suspension for a third fight in a season, longer suspensions for a fourth, fifth and sixth fight, season for anything beyond that).
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

It almost seems like there are two patterns to watch here among fighters -- the concussion pains combined with drugs to treat them (Probert, Booggard) and the depression leading to suicide (Terrence Tootoo, Trevor Ettingger, Rypien?).

I'd be curious if each category occurs at a statistically higher rate for fighters than other players, and if the two categories are related at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sad sad news - he was a fan favourite both here in Vancouver and in Winnipeg for his time with the Moose. I was looking forward to seeing him with the Jets this season.

Tragic.
    RIP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: RIP Rick Rypien : It almost seems like there are two patterns to watch here among fighters -- the concussion pains combined with drugs to treat them (Probert, Booggard) and the depression leading to suicide (Terrence Tootoo, Trevor Ettingger, Rypien?). I'd be curious if each category occurs at a statistically higher rate for fighters than other players, and if the two categories are related at all.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

You have to think they are related.  You can add a third as well.  Nick Kypreos talked about how difficult the job was on him Psychologically.  There has to be some PTSD involved in doing that "job".   Combine that with some poor coping strategies, and all of the things you mentioned and it's like a ticking time bomb.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I don't even play a doctor on tv, but we all know from the saga of Marc Savard that depression is consequence of concussions.  I believe the negative impacts of long-term use of even over the counter pain killers like Tylenol have been documented, and we have the Chris Benoit nightmare as an example of what can happen when these factors are coordinated with poor decision making and high stress - and 'roids.  If we were betting, I'd put my dollar on "intimately related".

You also wonder about the mentality of guys who take up that role.  Some guys can do it for a paycheque and be the Thornton-type "good guy".  They box rather than brawl, typically.  Other guys seem born to it.  Tiger Williams, for example - if he didn't play hockey, you can see him fighting guys on the rodeo circuit or on some job site.  Rypien took a break due to non-substance-abuse issues.  Could be that fighters are wired differently, and not in ways that protect the important circuits.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think with Rypien in the the line up for the Nucks he would have at least tried to answer the bell after some of the abuse Thelma and Louise were taking. Pound for pound a very tough individual. Very sad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Something is really weird here. Saw this excerpt on Sportsnet

Rypien was scheduled to fly to Winnipeg on Sunday night to have his knee checked Monday, Jets assistant general manager Craig Heisinger said. But he never boarded that flight.

"He had left me a message Sunday morning ... he just wanted to know whether there was ice to skate at," Heisinger said during a news conference Tuesday. "I spent some time trying to track him down (Monday) and was unable to do so."

Rypien had been dealing with depression for at least a decade, said Heisinger, who was the GM of the Manitoba Moose when Rypien played for the AHL team. By the summer, Heisinger said, Rypien appeared to have gained the upper hand.

"He seemed really excited to be back here," Heisinger said. "I think there was a comfort zone here for him.

"He had an apartment all set up. He was ready to go.''

Sounds more and more like an accident or a medical issue. Calling to find out about ice times does not sound like the actions of somone contemplating suicide.

Between Snyder and now Rypien, I can't see 37 ever being worn in that franchise again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

I am a grossly passionate Bruins fan first and foremost, but a huge fan of hockey fights too(also like most B's faithful).  I've been a Rick Rypien fan for three years now for obvious reasons.  He was wildly entertaining to say the least.  He brought a boxer's mentality when he fought.  Fought anyone, any size at anytime.  He was a leader and backed up his teamates.  He wasn't the agitator type and never fought non-fighters.  He clearly had a mental disorder and swore his problems were never substance related.  Its' frustrating to see people assume he overdosed (not on this forum) without that being official.  He's on the record as saying he's been the victim of unfortunate circumstances, which unfortunately makes me think of Sheldon Kennedy.  I hope I'm wrong.  After following him closely over the years, I always wondered if the B's could get him.  Today was a sad day and I'll miss watching him play/fight!  Most importantly, his friends and family will miss him living his life!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Something is really weird here. Saw this excerpt on Sportsnet Rypien was scheduled to fly to Winnipeg on Sunday night to have his knee checked Monday, Jets assistant general manager Craig Heisinger said. But he never boarded that flight. "He had left me a message Sunday morning ... he just wanted to know whether there was ice to skate at," Heisinger said during a news conference Tuesday. "I spent some time trying to track him down (Monday) and was unable to do so." Rypien had been dealing with depression for at least a decade, said Heisinger, who was the GM of the Manitoba Moose when Rypien played for the AHL team. By the summer, Heisinger said, Rypien appeared to have gained the upper hand. "He seemed really excited to be back here," Heisinger said. "I think there was a comfort zone here for him. "He had an apartment all set up. He was ready to go.'' Sounds more and more like an accident or a medical issue. Calling to find out about ice times does not sound like the actions of somone contemplating suicide. Between Snyder and now Rypien, I can't see 37 ever being worn in that franchise again.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

That is odd, but I would ultimately disagree with the notion that it suggests suicide is really any less likely to be the cause here.  From my personal experience (not professional, medical, etc.) I think people continue to make plans and carry on normal habits right up until they take their lives.  For a lot of people, part of the depression is about putting yourself on an island and not wanting the people around you to even know about it.  Suicidal thoughts are often hidden by people who are really serious about it, and exposed by people who aren't.  Poeple who really want to take their lives do not make a cry for help.  I suspect the call about finding ice time could have just been the easiest way to explain missing the flight and the appointment, and draw less attention.  Just a theory, and I hate to speculate, but suicide still seems like the most plausible cause to me.  I think it is fairly normal for suicide victims to have normal conversations and reassure friends they are doing okay right up until the end when they stop returning phone calls.  That said, I hope it was an accident, and that he died while happy.

I agree that #37 should be taken out of circulation in Winnipeg.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sounds like you're right Fletch, more news from Heisinger. Damn.:

Heisinger said he was aware of some of the details of Rypien’s death but opted to leave the possible release of them to the family’s discretion.

"There were no drug or alcohol issues... depression is the right word," said Heisinger. "I think he had a fantastic summer, but obviously that wasn’t the case. Every communication I had with him I didn’t see anything different than that. He seemed really excited to be back here. I think there was a comfort zone here for him. He had an apartment all set up and was ready to go. So the question being, did we see any signs? No, we didn’t.

"I thought for sure he had made strides... I was happy for him because I knew how much he wanted to play here and there was a 100 per cent level of comfort for him here. This is all hard to put into words. It’s been a challenging 24 hours. I’m hoping to not have to deal with this again. You learn lessons from these things. Rick always spoke about once he had this situation under control about trying to speak out and help other people. At the end of the day I’m hoping something like that comes out of this. I guess I’m having trouble seeing how it will right now."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In honour of Rick, I scanned Youtube last night and watched every clip I could find of him (mainly fights, for obvious reasons). 

The guy was like the Tasmanian Devil -- and would take on anyone, anytime.  Pure guts and determination. And, he scored a gorgeous goal vs. the Flames where he outskated 2 d-men and went top corner on Kipper.

Even though he died as a member of the Jets, the only uniform he ever wore in the NHL is that of the Canucks, and as far as I'm concerned, he's one of ours.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Rest In Peace.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In honour of Rick, I scanned Youtube last night and watched every clip I could find of him (mainly fights, for obvious reasons).  The guy was like the Tasmanian Devil -- and would take on anyone, anytime.  Pure guts and determination. And, he scored a gorgeous goal vs. the Flames where he outskated 2 d-men and went top corner on Kipper. Even though he died as a member of the Jets, the only uniform he ever wore in the NHL is that of the Canucks, and as far as I'm concerned, he's one of ours.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I think he'll always be remembered as a Canuck, and I'm glad that there's a memorial service for him tomorrow at the rink (I may go), but he also had deep ties to the Moose, and Zinger and Chipman really tried to look out for him (from what I've heard, thats part of why they signed him to the Jets). His game-winner in the playoffs for the Moose this year was a great moment. I think this is a loss felt in both cities and by both clubs, if not the league as  whole.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

How terribly sad. 

I agree with what Fletch said about those who are most likely to take their own lives not letting those around them know about it.  They often make plans to do things like they normally would in the event that they are once again able to talk themselves out of ending it all.

Like Heisinger said, maybe something good will someday come out of this.  Something that Rypien's family, friends, and fans can feel good about.  That is a long way off at this point.  My condolences to those who are touched by Rypien's untimely demise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

RIP Rick.Would have been great seeing you play for the Jets.
    But i guess it was not meant to be.