Rookie Camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Rookie Camp

It would be pretty awesome if one of you guys could take some video and post on youtube.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No Morrow, no Fraser, no Smith, no Bartkowski and no Krug.  Meaning that they are all beyond this phase.  I'm a little surprised that Spooner is there, to be honest, but maybe it's to get him going early and show the other guys who they have to pass to have a shot?

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

More so Knight and KoKo need to get it going, seeing they are going to be looked to replace Bourque and Tardif. Bourque point per game needs to replaced by Spooner. When rookie camp is over I'd like to see Ryan get some TOI with Kelly and Soderberg.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Kirk-s_Call-_Breaking_down_the_Bruins-_rookie_camp_roster

Kirk Luedeke's breakdown of rookie camp.

Anthony Camara, LW

"Camara has NHL potential, but fan excitement and expectations ought to be tempered as he is almost assuredly bound for Providence this season."

Alexander Khokhlachev, C

"A true enigma. The Bruins had not one, but two aborted trades with him last season, but that alone does not signal his end in Boston. The real story is whether he possess the “Bruins character” that is so important to the team’s leadership. He’ll get one more chance to live up to his pure talent’s promise and potential."

Matt Lindblad, C- "A true, under-the-radar find by the Bruins last spring out of Dartmouth University, the undrafted free agent made an immediate and positive impact late in the AHL. Watch for an expanded role for Lindblad in Providence this season, and while he’s not likely to go out and lead the league in scoring, he could be one of the Baby B’s most consistent and productive players, much like Marty St. Pierre was a few years back."

Ryan Spooner, C - Still the top prospect on New England Hockey Journal’s Bruins organizational rankings for his pure skill, speed and creativity, Spooner is in a tough spot as a center vying for a job in Boston.  While he may not win in head-to-head projections on paper, a terrific rookie tourney could propel him to bigger things at Boston main camp and eventually force the GM to trade someone else to make room for the skilled and dynamic 2010 second-rounder."

Zach Trotman - Concussions derailed a promising rookie AHL season for the Indiana native and final pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Big, fluid and offensively underrated,

The head hits are a concern, as Trotman played in only 48 games, not getting much of a chance to show off his strengths over the long haul. He’ll have to re-set and the rookie tourney will be a good place for him to start his path back towards the goal of playing a full and healthy season in Providence’s top-three.

Malcolm Subban - Hyperbole aside, Subban is still just 19 and needs considerable developmental time in the minor pro ranks. He’ll get a chance to build his confidence against fellow rookies in Coral Springs, where he’ll likely get the bulk of the work. Subban has the makings of a future NHL No. 1, but with Rask signing an eight-year extension, it’s probably going to be quite a wait."

Don't know if Providence can be better than last years team but the developement aspect will fun to watch. Knight, Trotman, KoKo and Camara need to show me what they can really do or what I think they are capable of at the AHL level. Spooner needs to just keep being an offensive power like he has been, I think he hets a good long look in Boston this year.

Watch for Lingbald and Florek to keep doing what they did in Providence, in the grinders role. They did not look out of place in the AHL coming right out of college last season to my eyes watching online.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Having a brain freeze. What was the second aborted trade involving Khokhlachev mentioned above?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Having a brain freeze. What was the second aborted trade involving Khokhlachev mentioned above?

Bartkowski was the other player.

And let me take this opportunity to point out the players traded to Pitt

Kenneth Agostino - did not played in the ahl or nhl after his college tournament ended.

Ben Hanowski  - played in 5 NHL games and scored 1.

Compare to Bartkowski and Koko - and which team offered the *significantly* better deal for Iginla.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bartkowski was the other player.

And let me take this opportunity to point out the players traded to Pitt

Kenneth Agostino - did not played in the ahl or nhl after his college tournament ended.

Ben Hanowski  - played in 5 NHL games and scored 1.

Compare to Bartkowski and Koko - and which team offered the *significantly* better deal for Iginla.

[/QUOTE]

No, BHab.  The Iginla deal was one trade.  What was the other?  I don't recall it either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Having a brain freeze. What was the second aborted trade involving Khokhlachev mentioned above ?

"Brenden Morrow...Morrow opted to join Pittsburgh, but Dallas fielded Boston's offer & left it to player to decide PIT or BOS"

Sid was putting his texting skills to work around the deadline. All for not, yah got swept!

Trying allot harder to not give so many BDC readers "brain freeze" Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think I'm only going to make the game vs. Tampa on Friday.  I have plans on Saturday and the Pats are playing on Sunday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think what BadHab meant is that he found him under "A. Body" on hockeydb.

Ditto for Pat's kid Campbell Elynuik, and maybe local boy Wayne Simpson, and maybe Beauregard who will fight but isn't likely to make Providence let alone Boston.  Jayden Hart, Alex Cord, Jesse Lees, and Maxime Villemaire are guys who either have junior eligibility left, or they're just timing out.  They're the hungry, longshot prospects who will try to make Spooner or Khokhlachev look stupid if they've come to camp out of shape or unprepared.

Not to cross the streams, but here's another Chiarelli characteristic - when he sees a weakness in the system, he goes for volume in order to find a diamond in the coal pile.  It was a lack of defensemen with puck skills.  It was a gap throughout the organization, and it's the reason he went goofy for small, NCAA defenseman for several years - Hunwick, Kampfer, Warsofsky, Krug, Penner.  Now they have Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowski looking like they can contribute at the NHL level and excel in the A.  The gap now is size on the blueline - but bigger guys who can play and play tough. NHL size isn't a problem, but you can see it in the system and in the guys they'd be calling up in case of injury.  Not a bad strategy, if you ask me - though the NCAA defensemen thing was driving me batty.

-----------------------

Good points as that seems to be exactly what Peter C. does.  The small NCAA D-Men are driving me nuts.  I would take a few Western leauge physical D-Men to start rounding the back end around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

-----------------------

Good points as that seems to be exactly what Peter C. does.  The small NCAA D-Men are driving me nuts.  I would take a few Western leauge physical D-Men to start rounding the back end around.

Torey Krug is driving you nuts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Before Torrey took "The King" apart, before...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"...to find a diamond in the coal pile."

I guess you have to exclude Hunwick because he was picked before Chiarelli's time, and Bodnarchuk and Button because they were junior players.  But over the course of a few years, Chiarelli moved to acquire Kampfer, Penner, Cody Wild and Colby Cohen (both really too big for this list), Bartkowski (taller, but still under 200), Warsofsky, and Krug.  7 NCAA D acquired, none drafted, and more than half fit in Chara's pocket.  Only two top 200lbs.  All were more known for their offensive games before  being acquired. 

Then you look at the draft: since 2007, Chiarelli has drafted Cross, Goulet, Trotman, O'Gara, GrizzleChick, Benning, and Sherman as defenseman in or headed to college.  He's drafted 4 Euro defensemen in Reul, Ostracil, Chudinov, and Arnesson.  He's drafted precisely 2 defenseman out of major junior hockey - the primary feeder system for the NHL.  One is Ryan Button, the other Hamilton.  Now, it's beating the dead horse that is Chiarelli's draft record if I point out that not one of those guys has made the NHL other than #9 overall Hamilton.  So Junior is 1/2, everyone else zilch.  But I'll add that the two D he made minor league trades for who played like horses in the Cup runs - Boychuk and McQuaid - are former Junior players.

So yeah, Krug may just be that diamond, and maybe, just maybe, Bartkowski is another one or even a valuable trade chip. But that doesn't minimize the frustration of watching them glut themselves on small defensemen with "PMD" skills.  Take a midol, Peter, and go back to finding D prospects who will excel in the Bruins' structure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

"...to find a diamond in the coal pile."

I guess you have to exclude Hunwick because he was picked before Chiarelli's time, and Bodnarchuk and Button because they were junior players.  But over the course of a few years, Chiarelli moved to acquire Kampfer, Penner, Cody Wild and Colby Cohen (both really too big for this list), Bartkowski (taller, but still under 200), Warsofsky, and Krug.  7 NCAA D acquired, none drafted, and more than half fit in Chara's pocket.  Only two top 200lbs.  All were more known for their offensive games before  being acquired. 

Then you look at the draft: since 2007, Chiarelli has drafted Cross, Goulet, Trotman, O'Gara, GrizzleChick, Benning, and Sherman as defenseman in or headed to college.  He's drafted 4 Euro defensemen in Reul, Ostracil, Chudinov, and Arnesson.  He's drafted precisely 2 defenseman out of major junior hockey - the primary feeder system for the NHL.  One is Ryan Button, the other Hamilton.  Now, it's beating the dead horse that is Chiarelli's draft record if I point out that not one of those guys has made the NHL other than #9 overall Hamilton.  So Junior is 1/2, everyone else zilch.  But I'll add that the two D he made minor league trades for who played like horses in the Cup runs - Boychuk and McQuaid - are former Junior players.

So yeah, Krug may just be that diamond, and maybe, just maybe, Bartkowski is another one or even a valuable trade chip. But that doesn't minimize the frustration of watching them glut themselves on small defensemen with "PMD" skills.  Take a midol, Peter, and go back to finding D prospects who will excel in the Bruins' structure.

Oh boy -- I really almost didn't post that one-liner because if this ^.  I heard Bookboy footsteps while I was typing.

I know, I know.  And actually, your response contains the general analysis I was considering.  The Hunwick/Kampfer/Warsofsky/Grzelcyk model has definitely been over drafted in recent years.  But there has been so little succes with other regions (not a PC pick, but Lashoff deserves a place in this discussion too) that it seems like odd timing to knock the NCAA guys when Krug an Bartkowski seemed poised to make the roster.  Not failing, is succeeding, when the bar is so low.

I actually wonder if there is a league wide preference for Canadian junior D-men, to such an extent that PC sees better value at draft position X by going elsewhere.  He can't possibly be adverse to big, skilled western league D-men - everyone wants that.  I think the well gets diluted pretty quickly there though and PC has chosen to avoid the race to the the auction floor in favor of possibly less-hyped players in other leagues.  Has that worked?  Not really, but things seem to be looking up a little...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Keep your head up if you're gonna cut to the middle....

I have no doubt there's an analysis behing the trend.  PC usually has a plan.  When the plan doesn't work, he owns it and changes the plan.  I like that in an exec.  Hard to believe he's got a law degree, though....

If they get two solid NHL contributors out of all of those NCAA D men picks, I won't have a leg to stand on.  I will still shake my head every time they pick up a guy who spends the Christmas break playing an elf at the local mall, but I'll try to be...quieter about it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Four goals fueled a hype machine that we hadn't seen for a player in quite a while.

And for the rest of the playoffs?

He was gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Crazy hype for Krug last May.  

But my point is A) it's 4 more goals than we got from Alexandrov, Chudinov, Lashoff, Bodnarchuk, Button, Ruel, Ostracil, etc...bad d-man drafting all around...bar is low.

And B) The Bruins look like they will open 2013 with possibly two new NCAA D-men on the roster, which has allowed for the jettison of the Ferrence contract and a better cap position.  I'm not ringing the bell of success here, but in terms of timing, the NCAA guys finally seem to be paying some dividends after a lot of swings and misses, now buried in the AHL.

I am absolutely in favor of drafting more D-men from junior, especially ones with size.  But if that market gets diluted quickly in the draft, I'm still hopeful that perhaps under-hyped bits like Bartkowski and Arnesson can be gleaned from the pile of coal and turned into useful players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I will still shake my head every time they pick up a guy who spends the Christmas break playing an elf at the local mall, but I'll try to be...quieter about it. 

^ No need for that Book.  Type on...I like it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Four goals fueled a hype machine that we hadn't seen for a player in quite a while.

He was gone.

[/QUOTE]

I thought Krug also showed promising poise and decisionmaking before the finals. If he can continue to improve, he should be a full-timer.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Surest sign that either I am sick, very sick in the head, or the Internet has us all spoiled:

I am furious that no one is telling me what's happening on the first day of rookie camp! All I know so far is that Spooner and Knight are taking some line rushes together.  Notice to all media: get your heads out of your Arianna Huffingtons and give me some free content!

Seriously, though - is it not the whole point of the internet that we can get snap judgements on prospects as they skate in their first sessoin of the year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Surest sign that either I am sick, very sick in the head, or the Internet has us all spoiled:

I am furious that no one is telling me what's happening on the first day of rookie camp! All I know so far is that Spooner and Knight are taking some line rushes together.  Notice to all media: get your heads out of your Arianna Huffingtons and give me some free content!

Seriously, though - is it not the whole point of the internet that we can get snap judgements on prospects as they skate in their first sessoin of the year?

I thought it was cat videos?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHi8aT3pfI

Best rookie camp performance I've seen since Mark Meowers...zing...

{#emotions_dlg.wink}

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681456&navid=nhl:topheads

"Bruins at rookie camp work with roster spots in mind"

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681450

"B's All Access TV Series 'Behind the B' "

Maybe we won't need peeping toms BadHab n Nas's video

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He was gone.

It was not just the goals. It was the skill set he displayed, that got people excited.

Also, it was the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and he was facing the Rangers, Penguins, and Hawks. That's a pretty tough assignment to begin your NHL career with.

It will be interesting to see him against the weaker teams. He could have a big impact on the long dormant PP of the B's.