Round One Grades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Round One Grades

Since we have a couple of down days, I thought I would take a crack at 1st Round Grades for the B's.

My criteria is two-fold, what was the players overall impact and how did they perform against expectations.

A: Bergeron, Kelly, Marchand & Ference
    B: Thomas, Peverley, Ryder, Recchi, Horton, Seidenberg & McQuaid
    C: Chara, Boychuk & Paille
    D: Lucic, Campbell & Kaberle
    F: Krejci & Thornton
    Inc: Hnidy

My list above, what do your 1st round grades look like?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Round One Grades

Everyone gets an incomplete.

Not a one of them played (or coached) to their potential for each game of the series.

Hey, it's great they stayed after school and into overtime and pulled it out of the fire, but they should have showed up for the first 2 games.  Had they done that, the picture would have been quite different.

My biggest disappointments have been Lucic, Krecji and Kaberle, and Kaberle especially.  Very disappointed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Just some small switches for me. 
    I found Boychuk had one really bad game but he then turned it on and did very well moving the puck out of his zone.
    McQuaid I might be un-fair because he was paired with I think one of the Bruins worst this series. Kaberle put McQuaid in some bad situations when the Habs were forechecking. McQuaid on the otherhand didn't handle it well.
    I was hard last night on some comments I made on Kaberle.  When I look back it was rare to see him make a bad pass when not in so much pressure and then there were times you just saw him make bad decisions with the puck , in the defensive zone, neutral and offensive zone.
    Benefit of the doubt, I'm still open although it will nt be that easy with the bigger Flyers and their ferocious forecheck.

A: Bergeron, Kelly, Marchand & Ference
    B: Thomas, Peverley, Ryder, Recchi, Horton, Seidenberg , Boychuk
    C:Chara, McQuaid & Paille
    D: Lucic, Campbell 
    F: Kaberle Krejci & Thornton
    Inc: Hnidy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

Krejci: F
    Lucic: D-
    Horton: C+

Chara: A-
    Seidenberg: A

Bergeron: A-
    Marchand: A-
    Recchi: B-

Ference: B+
    Boychuck: B

Peverly: C+
    Ryder: B-
    Kelly: B

Kaberle: F-
    McQuaid: B-

Thornton: F
    Paille: C
    Campbell: C

Thomas: B-

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Round One Grades:
    [QUOTE]Just some small switches for me.  I found Boychuk had one really bad game but he then turned it on and did very well moving the puck out of his zone. McQuaid I might be un-fair because he was paired with I think one of the Bruins worst this series. Kaberle put McQuaid in some bad situations when the Habs were forechecking. McQuaid on the otherhand didn't handle it well. I was hard last night on some comments I made on Kaberle.  When I look back it was rare to see him make a bad pass when not in so much pressure and then there were times you just saw him make bad decisions with the puck , in the defensive zone, neutral and offensive zone. Benefit of the doubt, I'm still open although it will nt be that easy with the bigger Flyers and their ferocious forecheck. A: Bergeron, Kelly, Marchand & Ference B: Thomas, Peverley, Ryder, Recchi, Horton, Seidenberg , Boychuk C:Chara,  McQuaid  & Paille D: Lucic, Campbell  F: Kaberle Krejci & Thornton Inc: Hnidy
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Good analysis BsLegion, I thought those same three guys were on the bubble of the grades I gave them.  I can easily see how you drop Kaberle, especially since the coach pretty much checked out on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Round One Grades:
    [QUOTE]Since we have a couple of down days, I thought I would take a crack at 1st Round Grades for the B's. My criteria is two-fold, what was the players overall impact and how did they perform against expectations. A: Bergeron, Kelly, Marchand & Ference B: Thomas, Peverley, Ryder, Recchi, Horton, Seidenberg & McQuaid C: Chara, Boychuk & Paille D: Lucic, Campbell & Kaberle F: Krejci & Thornton Inc: Hnidy My list above, what do your 1st round grades look like?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    I agree with your grades for the most part.Horton gets a ''B'' because of the two overtime goals he scored.He has to play better in all other areas.I might give Campbell a ''B-'' I thought the 4th line battled hard ,Thornton wasn't great ,I agree but he did work hard.Krejci was a big dissapointment but the 1st line had problems adapting to Montreal's speed.I think the 1st line will do much better against the Flyers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Round One Grades : I agree with your grades for the most part.Horton gets a ''B'' because of the two overtime goals he scored.He has to play better in all other areas.I might give Campbell a ''B-'' I thought the 4th line battled hard ,Thornton wasn't great ,I agree but he did work hard.Krejci was a big dissapointment but the 1st line had problems adapting to Montreal's speed.I think the 1st line will do much better against the Flyers.
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

I genuinely like Campbell, but the combination of the below numbers informed my grade:
    7gp 0-0-0
    +/-: -2
    FO%: 41%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For me Crowls the fourth line really doesn't get a grade they didn't have enough icetime as it should be. I complained about the 4th line getting too much especially at crucial times it finally hit Julien.

A++: Peverley, Kelly & Horton
    A: Bergeron, Marchand & Ference
    B: Thomas, Ryder, Recchi & Seidenberg
    C: Chara, Boychuk & McQuaid
    D: Kaberle
    F: Krejci & Lucic

Peverley is starting to become my favorite Bruin all over the ice the whole series like my favorite Bruin Nifty if only he could snipe like Rick. Kelly n Horton moved into supa stratosphere at the end of the series they get to take home something to hang on the fridge to impress mom.

Milan & McQuaid moved down Lucic has no excuse Darth Quaider is still young he 's still learning even though cranky NAS won't cut him some slack because he's to busy worrying what to wear to watch the big wedding tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]For me Crowls the fourth line really doesn't get a grade they didn't have enough icetime as it should be. I complained about the 4th line getting too much especially at crucial times it finally hit Julien. A++: Peverley, Kelly & Horton A: Bergeron, Marchand & Ference B: Thomas, Ryder, Recchi & Seidenberg C: Chara, Boychuk & McQuaid D: Kaberle F: Krejci & Lucic Peverley is starting to become my favorite Bruin all over the ice the whole series like my favorite Bruin Nifty if only he could snipe like Rick. Kelly n Horton moved into supa stratosphere at the end of the series they get to take home something to hang on the fridge to impress mom. Milan & McQuaid moved down Lucic has no excuse Darth Quaider is still young he 's still learning even though cranky NAS won't cut him some slack because he's to busy worrying what to wear to watch the big wedding tomorrow.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

What kept Kaberle from getting the F?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : What kept Kaberle from getting the F?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I gave Kaberle a "D" as well.  Thought here was that his two nice assists, combined with the fact that he was a +1 for the series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Round One Grades:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : What kept Kaberle from getting the F? Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&f1=2010_p&f2=5v5&f5=BOS&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

Are you grading Tomas on lack of offensive production he never was a goal scorer or overall defensive play ? His rankings aren't that bad...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think you have to give Peverly an A.  He was the Bruins most consistent forward and always gives 100%.  I think he's been terrific.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Krejci: D
    Lucic: C-
    Horton: C

Chara: A- (ill)
    Seidenberg: A

Bergeron: A-
    Marchand: B
    Recchi: C+

Ference: A-
    Boychuck: C-

Peverly: A
    Ryder: B
    Kelly: B

Kaberle: F
    McQuaid: C

Thornton:D-
    Paille: C
    Campbell: C-

Thomas: A-

Rask:  Incomplete

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm not going to give any letters, but the whole Kelly line was excellent and played above expectations.  They were a life-saver for the Bruins, and it shows where the team's strength is... depth.  I'm OK with Horton because he was brought in to be a go-to goal scorer on the wing, and 3 goals (2 winners) through 7 games is exactly that.  I don't have a problem with Kaberle either, he's not flashy but he plays a solid passing game and makes very few mistakes.  Few guys could make that pass to Ryder in game 4.  Bergeron was outstanding and Marchand was, as expected, the kind of guy you love to have in the playoffs.  The ones I'm really dissapointed in are Krejci and Lucic, two of my favorite Bruins.  They have been great in the playoffs in the past, but that series looked like they were skating in sand.  Maybe the Montreal defensive play on them was just that good, I don't know.  But they need to shake it off and step up.  I give the coach top marks for how he handled the series.  He made adjustments when needed, but more importantly he stuck by them and didn't panic when they were down two.  That took balls.  His meeting with the team after game 2 was, for me, the turning point.  The players know that, even when he job is on the line, CJ won't make changes because of public pressure.  He showed he believed in them to the point he would risk his job.  The GM also has to get top marks, his offseason and deadline pick-ups have made this team quite a bit better than last year's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]Peverley is starting to become my favorite Bruin all over the ice the whole series like my favorite Bruin Nifty if only he could snipe like Rick. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. Peverly and Bergeron strike me as very similar, and I am VERY excited about the fact he's returning next year. Can you imagine a healthy & productive Savard, Bergeron, Peverly, Krejci, Kelly, Campbell and Seguin. Dear Lord...

Anyway. Off topic. Since different guys have different talent, and ice time is a factor, I tend to grade on a curve. It's about maximizing potential and chances as opposed to overall play. My ranks in order of "impressiveness":

A Grades - outstanding
    1. Bergeron (A+) Can't ask for more.
    2. Peverly (A) Makes that 3rd line go.
    3. Marchand (A) I forget he's a rookie.
    4. Kelly (A-) Way above expectations.
    5. Thomas (A-) 4 wins. All I care about. Came up big w/ game on the line.
    6. Ference (A-) After all the crap, the Bs best D in Round 1

B Grades - above expectations
    7. Horton (B+) Early jitters, but clutch.
    8. Seidenberg (B+) Always solid. Would be higher if not for early mistakes.
    9. Ryder (B) Beast in 3 games. Average in other 4.
    10. Recchi (B) Value on and off the ice.
    11. McQuaid (B-) Can we say he carried his partner?
    12. Boychuck (B-) Mostly mistake free.

C Grades - met expectations
    13. Chara (C+) Expectations for Chara are high, and he can also improve.
    14. Paille (C) Not much of an impact, but also low expectations.
    15. Campbell (C-) He's better than this. Needs to make more of his chances.
    16. Thornton (C-) Did he play? Didn't notice...

D Grades - below expectations
    17. Lucic (D) We know the story here. Waiting for him to take over a game.
    18. Krejci (D-) Sigh. I'm a huge fan, but really needs to find a higher compete level.
    19. Kaberle (D-) Looking less like a #2 and more like a #6. Not a bad #6, but that wasn't the reason he was brought in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

asmaha...very nice breakdown, can't argue with much. still a lot of room for improvement too- imagine if the pp finally gets on track! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Grades will go up ADK if the PP somehow miraculously returns fingers certainly crossed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&f1=2010_p&f2=5v5&f5=BOS&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28 Are you grading Tomas on lack of offensive production he never was a goal scorer or overall defensive play ? His rankings aren't that bad...

Just disappointed the way Kaberle played. Fine no offensive production although that is supposed to be his "forte". 
    It's his decisions with the puck that put McQuaid in trouble too many times and his poor decisions with the puck out-weigh his tape to tape passes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Without a PP and a better PK, none of this matters.

The play of Lucic and Kaberle must improve... a lot!

And, Thornton should spend the first game watching Seguin play in his place and see what happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Round One Grades:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : Just disappointed the way Kaberle played. Fine no offensive production although that is supposed to be his "forte".  It's his decisions with the puck that put McQuaid in trouble too many times and his poor decisions with the puck out-weigh his tape to tape passes. Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I know which plays you're speaking of Legion we'll have to agree to disagree both times McQuaid had time to make the correct play but panicked a bit. On another play when he moved the puck to Siedenberg Dennis just stared at the puck while it was in mid air with no reaction. All three plays led to goals but Tomas's partner had time to properly react.

Kaberle again was never a goal scorer it's always been assists and so i'll always refer too "does he have to shoot the puck for the forwards as well ?"...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&f1=2010_p&f2=5v5&f5=BOS&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28 Are you grading Tomas on lack of offensive production he never was a goal scorer or overall defensive play ? His rankings aren't that bad...

Neither, I was grading on potential vs. actual delivered performance.

Kaberle has some really sick skills, honestly I think they should make him a forward on the PP and he'd deliver close to what Savard did.  The couple of times I've seen him try to dangle around guys on the PP he just stepped right around him.  Granted I wouldn't expect a guy like that to score, but I would expect tons of assists.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Round One Grades : I know which plays you're speaking of Legion we'll have to agree to disagree both times McQuaid had time to make the correct play but panicked a bit. On another play when he moved the puck to Siedenberg Dennis just stared at the puck while it was in mid air with no reaction. All three plays led to goals but Tomas's partner had time to properly react. Kaberle again was never a goal scorer it's always been assists and so i'll always refer too "does he have to shoot the puck for the forwards as well ?"...
    I agree 100% with your assessment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]I think you have to give Peverly an A.  He was the Bruins most consistent forward and always gives 100%.  I think he's been terrific.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]Peverly was great ,I agree but I don't think he played quite as well as Marchand and Bergeron.I thought those two were the B's best players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Seidenberg a C. For nothing else but the botched pass to Rex tht resulted in a SH goal. Never mind 0 for 21, the B's were -1 for 21. I agree with guy who wrote the Bs should decline the extra man, take the 2 minutes and give the other team a goal every 20 PPs and save everyone the nausea from watching their paltry efforts to score on the PP.
    CJ-B
    DH-C
    GW-F Give him a ticket on the same bus out of town that Kaberle will be riding on July 1.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from polishprince19. Show polishprince19's posts

I would give kaberle an F,he was brought in for one reason to help the pp and not only did they not score a single goal they were actually negative on the pp. On top of that he was directly responsible for several goals and the fact that he cant be trusted defensively is also forcing the other defensemen to skate more icetime,which i fear may catch up at some point. Hope we see the kaberle we expected this series.