Rusty Trombone Says Chiarelli Blew Two Top 5 Picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Rusty Trombone Says Chiarelli Blew Two Top 5 Picks

And the other 5 just say he wasn't to tick off Rusty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shocker he never showed. I love how he tries explaining how he convinced everyone Kessel was a Chiarelli pick and not a Gorton. 95% of the people on here have always said that.

[/QUOTE]

Of course Kessel, Chara and Savard were Chiarelli's doings.  The whole "July 15th" stuff was just a formality in my opinion.  No way does a team allow a guy who is not good enough for them to make these decisions...make these decisions.

Kessel was no failed pick.  It was a gift that he dropped to #5 after being talked about as the #1 overall. 

Seguin was no failed pick.  Every GM on the planet makes that pick.  A couple of years later, he leads the team in points.

I'm waiting for Rusty Trombone to stop by and tell us about these failed picks.  I don't think he's coming, however. 

Such a coward.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shocker he never showed. I love how he tries explaining how he convinced everyone Kessel was a Chiarelli pick and not a Gorton. 95% of the people on here have always said that.

[/QUOTE]

Of course Kessel, Chara and Savard were Chiarelli's doings.  The whole "July 15th" stuff was just a formality in my opinion.  No way does a team allow a guy who is not good enough for them to make these decisions...make these decisions.

Kessel was no failed pick.  It was a gift that he dropped to #5 after being talked about as the #1 overall. 

Seguin was no failed pick.  Every GM on the planet makes that pick.  A couple of years later, he leads the team in points.

I'm waiting for Rusty Trombone to stop by and tell us about these failed picks.  I don't think he's coming, however. 

Such a coward.

[/QUOTE]

Off topic, but why aren't you at the Panther/Ranger game Nas? 1-0 going into the third for the Panthers,TT in net.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Off topic, but why aren't you at the Panther/Ranger game Nas? 1-0 going into the third for the Panthers,TT in net.

[/QUOTE]

I was at the Habs game.

I don't really have any interest in the Rangers.  Outside of Nash, who's even worth seeing on that squad?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was at the Habs game.

I don't really have any interest in the Rangers.  Outside of Nash, who's even worth seeing on that squad?

[/QUOTE]

Nobody,i agree. Maybe Benoit Pouliot?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NAS, after reviewing the thread on the pats forum ive learned one thing, Patriot fans do not know how to make edits when they are quoting.

[/QUOTE]

There are some quality guys over there that know their stuff and are fun to chat with.  I probably have 50% of the group on ignore.  I go there to goof off and keep up to date, but really, how much can you talk about?  They play one game a week, with pre and post, about 22 games a year.  The rest of the time is just blowing up Rusty Trombone and laughing with everyone else.

As for editing the quote box, I've tried over there.  I made some progress last fall, but a few guys just insist on being rude.  Obviously Rusty Trombone is one of them.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nice.

You and Kitchener.

Maybe neely66 will agree with you as well.

Peas in a pod.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

essel was no failed pick.  It was a gift that he dropped to #5 after being talked about as the #1 overall. 

[/QUOTE]

They said they would take the best player available regardless of need, and that they did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Funny thing is, in 2005, they had a huge talent deficit all over the club.  Bergeron, Murray, Boyes and Sturm were the only guys even close to top 6 forwards, and the bottom six was barely NHL calibre.  The defense was in shambles - guys who could play passable defense couldn't handle the puck, and the guys who could handle the puck had no idea how to play defense.  They drafted the best available guy because they needed to get as much talent as possible out of that draft.

Then, in 2010, they were so close to a complete team that they didn't have a need they could address in the draft - so they took the best available player.  Because you want the most value out of the pick, however you realize that value.  Narrow, shallow thinking to say you 'failed' if you didn't keep the player.  Did you get appropriate value for that pick?  Yes?  Then I don't care if you traded the player for a sack of magic beans.  Two top 5 picks led to a potential franchise D, two top six RWs, three prospects with NHL potential, a Stanley Cup, a Finals appearance, and the cap flexibility to sign Jarome Iginla and trade for Nathan Horton.  That's a value proposition that works for me.

[Edit: Actually, it's one 5th overall pick led to all of that.  It's conceivable that as many as 5 players on the 2014-15 roster, including the top two RWs and a top pairing D will have been acquired directly due to that one pick in 2005.  What a waste...] 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Funny thing is, in 2005, they had a huge talent deficit all over the club.  Bergeron, Murray, Boyes and Sturm were the only guys even close to top 6 forwards, and the bottom six was barely NHL calibre.  The defense was in shambles - guys who could play passable defense couldn't handle the puck, and the guys who could handle the puck had no idea how to play defense.  They drafted the best available guy because they needed to get as much talent as possible out of that draft.

Then, in 2010, they were so close to a complete team that they didn't have a need they could address in the draft - so they took the best available player.  Because you want the most value out of the pick, however you realize that value.  Narrow, shallow thinking to say you 'failed' if you didn't keep the player.  Did you get appropriate value for that pick?  Yes?  Then I don't care if you traded the player for a sack of magic beans.  Two top 5 picks led to a potential franchise D, two top six RWs, three prospects with NHL potential, a Stanley Cup, a Finals appearance, and the cap flexibility to sign Jarome Iginla and trade for Nathan Horton.  That's a value proposition that works for me.

[Edit: Actually, it's one 5th overall pick led to all of that.  It's conceivable that as many as 5 players on the 2014-15 roster, including the top two RWs and a top pairing D will have been acquired directly due to that one pick in 2005.  What a waste...] 

[/QUOTE]

Thats right book its Kessel for Hamilton,Smith,Eriksson,Fraser,Morrow and Knight. Not counting the Peverley....plus the Stanley Cup,Cup Final and cap experience almost makes me wish for Sinden and O'Connell.

The one thing I really appreciate about Chiarelli is that there always seems to be a plan an awareness of the future with Sinden everything seemed to be a reaction

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

here is what chiarelli got out of those two picks. 

3 years of kessel

3 years of seguin

1 stanley cup

smith

eriksson

morrow

fraser

hamilton

knight

ya i'll take that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:[QUOTE]

here is what chiarelli got out of those two picks. 

3 years of kessel

3 years of seguin

1 stanley cup

smith

eriksson

morrow

fraser

hamilton

knight

ya i'll take that. [/QUOTE]

A haul...absolutely raked it in!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

What franchises have top 5 picks and then don't keep and develop the top 5 pick?

A lot of them. Here's a list of players since 1990 who were drafted top 5 and played three or less years with the franchise they were drafted by.

Petr Nedved, Mike Ricci, Eric Lindros, Aaron Ward, Todd Warriner, Chris Pronger, Oleg Tverdovsky, Jason Bonsignore, Bryan Berard, Wade Redden, Chad Kilger, Andrei Zyuzin, Jean-Pierr Dumont, Ric Jackman, Oli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Eric Brewer, Pavel Brendl, Tim Connolly, Dany Heatley, Raffi Torres, Alexander Svitov, Stanislav Chistov, Joni Pitkanen, Andrew Ladd, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, James Van Riemsdyk, Brayden Schenn, Tyler Seguin and Nino Niederreitter.

So between 1990 and 2010 a total of 105 players were drafted in the top 5 overall. Of these, 32 players (approximately 30.5 per cent) were traded away by their drafting team after three or less seasons with the club that took them in the top five. This list doesn't even include the complete busts who never played at least parts of three seasons or a player like Blake Wheeler who sat out after being drafted until he could sign as a UFA.

So to answer your question - "What franchises have top 5 picks and then don't keep and develop the top 5 pick?"

Most of them (those 32 players were drafted by a selection of more than 50 per cent of the league).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to red75's comment:

What franchises have top 5 picks and then don't keep and develop the top 5 pick?

A lot of them. Here's a list of players since 1990 who were drafted top 5 and played three or less years with the franchise they were drafted by.

Petr Nedved, Mike Ricci, Eric Lindros, Aaron Ward, Todd Warriner, Chris Pronger, Oleg Tverdovsky, Jason Bonsignore, Bryan Berard, Wade Redden, Chad Kilger, Andrei Zyuzin, Jean-Pierr Dumont, Ric Jackman, Oli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Eric Brewer, Pavel Brendl, Tim Connolly, Dany Heatley, Raffi Torres, Alexander Svitov, Stanislav Chistov, Joni Pitkanen, Andrew Ladd, Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, James Van Riemsdyk, Brayden Schenn, Tyler Seguin and Nino Niederreitter.

So between 1990 and 2010 a total of 105 players were drafted in the top 5 overall. Of these, 32 players (approximately 30.5 per cent) were traded away by their drafting team after three or less seasons with the club that took them in the top five. This list doesn't even include the complete busts who never played at least parts of three seasons or a player like Blake Wheeler who sat out after being drafted until he could sign as a UFA.

So to answer your question - "What franchises have top 5 picks and then don't keep and develop the top 5 pick?"

Most of them (those 32 players were drafted by a selection of more than 50 per cent of the league).

you sound just like another bettman apologist to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Red

I might argue that Kessel and Seguin were 90% developed when the Bruins moved them. Some of the players on the list were a little rougher around the edges. The truth is Kessel didn't want to be in Boston anymore and Chiarelli managed to get Burke to pony up more than an offer sheet would've. Seguin has been done to death but it doesn't seem out of the question to demand professionalism and performance for limited cap space. Eriksson had been rounding into form and unfortunately injuries happen. Was Chiarelli wrong to sign Seidenberg based on his recent injury? Ridiculous.

I remember the game against NJ where Thornton sucked a_ss big time. I was so furious, things were broken. I remember thinking that he had played his last game as a Bruin. And we should trade that bum. Unfortunately O'Connell apparently felt the same and didn't try to get a return. If Chiarelli has identified negative attributes in his players he hasn't let that stop him from moving ahead rationally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[/QUOTE]

I would have agreed if he hadn't screwed up the Seguin pick.  What franchises have top 5 picks and then don't keep and develop the top 5 pick?

If you don't like the best player available, acquire a quality player who can help your team and some picks or something.

How many times do you have a crack at a top 5 pick???!

Chia's trading is his strength...Drafting? Not so much.  Drafting is a crapshoot, but you can't miss on top 5 picks like that.

The only way this works out is if Eriksson somehow works out and one of the other prospects they acquired also does what Reilly Smith is doing, which is playing well and produces.

[/QUOTE]

Oh the hilarity, yes it's too bad they wasted the pick on Kessell when they could have had Okposo, Brassard, Meuller, Sheppard, or Frolik.

Then they turned that into Seguin when they could have had Gudbranson, Johansen, Nieterreiter, or Connoly. Now THOSE guys could have really fetched something in trade.

This is the NHL, not NHL2K14...stop digging, you already need a ladder to get out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Those guys are prospects.   Kessel is playing on Team Canada in the Olympics and Seguin is just starting out in the league and has 21 goals and 20 assists so far this year, with playoff experience so young.

[/QUOTE]

Kessel is a Canadian?

Then who is this guy:

More proof that Rusty Trombone knows nothing about what he types.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow.  The Rusty Trombone just got 100% blown to bits.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wow, back to the Pats board.  Seriously.  This is awful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this guy gets beten like a drum on the Pats board, and then comes over to the B's board and gets it even worse!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was looking back over those trades, and aside from Lindros (which built a monster of a team) I don't think any of those trades had a better return than Chiarelli got for Kessell (and then subsequently Seguin) So not only is Chia not wildly out of the norm by trading a top 5 pick in three years or less, he seems to be very very good at it as well in terms of return.