ryan spooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: ryan spooner

In response to JWensink's comment:

"Tyler Seguin scored 67 points in his second full season, 32 last year, won a cup"

"He led the Bruins in goals and points as a winger. Thanks for asking. Try Google next time"

This is the same BS I heard for 3 yrs every time I called him out for playing with no guts.

Yeh it worked so well that they traded away their leading scorer. Seguins fate was sealed in Boston for two reasons - Krejci and Bergeron. They should have gone ballz out to get Hall because they always needed a wing, and already had the middle of the ice locked up long term. He was NEVER going to play his natural position on this team. Putting him on the  wing was a gamble, and THE ONLY REASON he played there was that there was no spot for him anywhere else. That's not an ideal situation for the #2 pick in the draft.  He didn't have the guts to play along the wall- never will. That's why he's gone. Take a look at behind the B's 1st episode, it was all about that.

You can bet he'll get his shot at center, and don't be shocked if he lights it up.

You can save all the off the ice nonsense spin. All the accolades and stats won't change reality. If he was all that - he wouldn't be in Dallas.

I realize this is pointless when dealing with some  "fans"

Seguin was moved for a stud winger and solid prospects. I'm sure you'll be right about something eventually but I won't hold my breath. How about you regale us with some more posts about how awful Bartkowski is or maybe some more about how badly the Bruins need "Rick freaking Nash". Actually forget it as Nash has a NMC and I'm actually fully aware of how they work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

[QUOTE]

"Tyler Seguin scored 67 points in his second full season, 32 last year, won a cup"

"He led the Bruins in goals and points as a winger. Thanks for asking. Try Google next time"

This is the same BS I heard for 3 yrs every time I called him out for playing with no guts.

Yeh it worked so well that they traded away their leading scorer. Seguins fate was sealed in Boston for two reasons - Krejci and Bergeron. They should have gone ballz out to get Hall because they always needed a wing, and already had the middle of the ice locked up long term. He was NEVER going to play his natural position on this team. Putting him on the  wing was a gamble, and THE ONLY REASON he played there was that there was no spot for him anywhere else. That's not an ideal situation for the #2 pick in the draft.  He didn't have the guts to play along the wall- never will. That's why he's gone. Take a look at behind the B's 1st episode, it was all about that.

You can bet he'll get his shot at center, and don't be shocked if he lights it up.

You can save all the off the ice nonsense spin. All the accolades and stats won't change reality. If he was all that - he wouldn't be in Dallas.

No, there is clearly no point in dealing with you.  You say on the one hand that his problem is he is gutless, and on the other the problem is that he played the wing.  If he truly is gutless like you think, then playing him on the wing really didn't matter because he ws never going to be a valuable player and getting the deep package back for him is great.  If he's not gutless and the problem stems from the Bruins playing a young prospect on the wing where he played in his first year of junior and not at center where he played his second year of junior was the true mistake and you were wrong all along about calling him gutless for the last 3 years.  Either he's gutless like you said and the Bruins did nothing wrong by sticking him at wing then trading him, or he's not gutless and he was just messed up by not playing center but that means you were wrong for calling him gutless right off the bat.  You can't have it both ways.

The truth is your just negative and you're going to criticize whatever happens regardless.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Bruins traded away their #2 draft pick, lead scoring, 21 yr old budding superstar to Dallas who will now play center because of my negativity.

For the record- he is too gutless to play along the wall and in the corners, and is a natural center. Maybe he could be successful there. That is having it both ways, and that's the reality of it- Negativity ? or not being delusional apologist ?

I'm sure you can find some meaningless stat to find the answer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Seguin was moved for a stud winger and solid prospects. I'm sure you'll be right about something eventually but I won't hold my breath. How about you regale us with some more posts about how awful Bartkowski is or maybe some more about how badly the Bruins need "Rick freaking Nash". Actually forget it as Nash has a NMC and I'm actually fully aware of how they work.

You inept fool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

cool. How'd you do that, Sandog?

I wish I was that clever but remember there is a software for just about everything. 

Putting Spooner on wing would be a mistake. Hes too creative at center and he is ready now for the NHL. Ryan should get 20 games, Smith did well in camp but cant do what Spooner did last night. That kid was everywhere. 

Kelly will be expendable for the deadline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You inept fool

Big words for a simpleton. One of us actually knows what they're talking about. Try to guess who it is.

Since 08-09:

Eriksson- 130 goals and 307 points with a cap hit of 4.25M

Nash- 156 goals and 313 points with a cap hit of 7.8M

You're so simple it's barely fun anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Yes, the Bruins traded away their #2 draft pick, lead scoring, 21 yr old budding superstar to Dallas who will now play center because of my negativity.

For the record- he is too gutless to play along the wall and in the corners, and is a natural center. Maybe he could be successful there. That is having it both ways, and that's the reality of it- Negativity ? or not being delusional apologist ?

I'm sure you can find some meaningless stat to find the answer

A centerman is supposed to play all 4 corners. It's no surprise at all that you wouldn't know that. Your ignorance still manages to amaze after all this time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

so stanley, you have seidenberg as a third line forward? pretty sure he plays D, the next GM of the bruins should know that. 

and i would rather spooner in providence than on the fourth line. I don't think you know what an NHL fourth liner does. 

...which is why GMs should not interfere with the coach's decision who plays where and how often.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Seguin's skillset was probably a bit more versatile than Spooner. They're both very different positions. There are some outstanding players who wouldn't be able to interchange, but Seguin had that skillset due to a rip of a shot and crazy speed. However, I don't consider him to have an elite skillset at either. A good center should have way more assists than goals (in theory), and a winger it should be pretty close (30/30 for a winger vs. 20/40 for a center). Ovechkin is one of the best, most talented players in the world. Could he play center? Doubtful. Just like Spooner probably shouldn't play wing, because nothing about the position matches up with his skillset.

Could anybody see Krejci being nearly as productive as a winger? Or Savard?

Some centers just can't play wing, and most wingers just can't play center. Spooner is one of them.

I hope they can find a way for Spooner to play center (maybe by sliding Kelly down to play with Campbell and Paille, if NAS gets his wish and the "skating clown" gets sent upstairs) between Soderberg and Smith, but I don't expect them to move mountains to accomodate a rookie. However, I fully expect him to be the first guy they call in the event of an inevitable injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

...if NAS gets his wish and the "skating clown" gets sent upstairs...

That's my second wish.  My first wish is for Fletcher to have his account banned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I said this in another thread and sorry for repeating but perhaps Campbell can be moved to wing so Spooner can centre him and Paille. Solid defence, a bit of grit, a bit of speed. Can expect offence from all 4 lines and can bring in toughness without impacting the other lines by subbing Thornton for Spooner and shifting Campbell back to C.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

I agree with the people saying he should play with skilled players.  But it could be worth it.  With Soderberg out, I might try   Paille-Kelly-Smith  as the third line.  And go with Campbell-Spooner-Fraser?  As the fourth.  It would probably be Caron as he's the one on the roster, but I'm thinking someone who might be more of a goal scorer.  Not saying Fraser is at the NHL level, but that would be the ideal

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

I said this in another thread and sorry for repeating but perhaps Campbell can be moved to wing so Spooner can centre him and Paille. Solid defence, a bit of grit, a bit of speed. Can expect offence from all 4 lines and can bring in toughness without impacting the other lines by subbing Thornton for Spooner and shifting Campbell back to C.

I don't see how Spooner could hurt the 4th line with Campbell on wing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

I don't see how Spooner could hurt the 4th line with Campbell on wing.

San, I bet you Spooner goes down and starts putting extra time into his faceoff work. Nobody expects him to put up Bergeron numbers at the dot but he does need to improve on it. The Bruins as a team are good on faceoffs and that's a big reason why they win way more games than they lose.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Spooners game just doesn't match up with Campbell and Paille. They're a puck possession line, grinding it out down low and getting the dirty goals (except for the random snipes that Paille provides out of nowhere). Spooner's game requires a sniper-type on his wing, a la Ryder, or a power forward finishing type, a la Lucic or Horton. You're not going to maximize his talents by putting him with grinder types (even though Campbell and Paille are very good, they're still grinders), and you're going to take away from Campbell and Paille's cycle game by putting him with them. They just play totally different games. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Until last year in Providence, Spooner has been roughly as adept at scoring goals as racking up assists.  He's not a one-dimensional playmaker.  In fact, one of the things I liked about his game in junior is that he has a good sense of when to attack the net himself and when to get the puck to the net for someone else.  He played with a lot of different guys in junior - sometimes first line quality, sometimes second or third - and his point totals didn't change much.  He'd be fine with Campbell and Paille...but I don't know if the line would give the Bruins what they want from it.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm also in the mindset "anyone but Thonton". So if it is Caron on the 4th that is fine too. Even the minimal amount of TOI a prospect gets is fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Spooners game just doesn't match up with Campbell and Paille. They're a puck possession line, grinding it out down low and getting the dirty goals (except for the random snipes that Paille provides out of nowhere). Spooner's game requires a sniper-type on his wing, a la Ryder, or a power forward finishing type, a la Lucic or Horton. You're not going to maximize his talents by putting him with grinder types (even though Campbell and Paille are very good, they're still grinders), and you're going to take away from Campbell and Paille's cycle game by putting him with them. They just play totally different games.

Campbell and Kelly play well in all situations.  An offensive line still scores with them.  As long as the other two players are very good.  The third line will have that grinder style.  And Bergy's line handles a lot of the heavy lifting.  We could have another line.  That there's not a lot of pressure on.  And it could provide additional offense.  But I suppose it doesn't matter.  The fourth line as it currently is produces pretty well with their style.

I guess you could call the grinder line the fourth line, and Spooner's line the third.  But in order for that to work, the fourth line needs to be able to take an odd shift against the best line on the other team.  So you trust them more, but if you want to call it 4th line that's fine

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

4th lines in the NHL have mostly consisted of the same pieces over years. Enforcer, veteran guy, guys not known for scoring etc..

I'd love to see the Bruins buck the trend and put out a 4th line of Fraser,Spooner,Camara/Smith etc..let them grow into the league together against other teams 4th line and see what happens. It would be interesting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I remember a discussion about that a while back, Kel; one of those panel discussions with a former GM/coach but I can't remember which one.  Probably TSN. 

One of the things that was said was you'd be putting the kids in a risky spot.  4th lines usually play against...4th lines.  So if you put your kids out there against a seek and destroy line, not only are they going to be up against a high-energy group, they're up against a group that's going to hit with intent.  Chances are, they'll get out-muscled, too.  The reward is that you'd hope Spooner and company could skate rings around clowns and grinders, but look at Boston's current 4th line - they have the speed to get on most rookies, and the hockey sense.  And they can burn you if you turn it over when they're working you over.  So, all in all, the risks are higher than the rewards of a group of rookies playing a few minutes a night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I remember a discussion about that a while back, Kel; one of those panel discussions with a former GM/coach but I can't remember which one.  Probably TSN. 

One of the things that was said was you'd be putting the kids in a risky spot.  4th lines usually play against...4th lines.  So if you put your kids out there against a seek and destroy line, not only are they going to be up against a high-energy group, they're up against a group that's going to hit with intent.  Chances are, they'll get out-muscled, too.  The reward is that you'd hope Spooner and company could skate rings around clowns and grinders, but look at Boston's current 4th line - they have the speed to get on most rookies, and the hockey sense.  And they can burn you if you turn it over when they're working you over.  So, all in all, the risks are higher than the rewards of a group of rookies playing a few minutes a night.

and besides minimal minutes what you just posted here is the reason I would not want to see Spooner on a 4th line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

and besides minimal minutes what you just posted here is the reason I would not want to see Spooner on a 4th line. 

I thought of that.  And there's pros and cons to it.  I guess I would try to keep them away from oppositions fourth lines as well.  Whatever.  The way the team is now is fine.  Very conventional set up.  Our scoring lines are the best scorers.  So that's their role.  Spooner isn't better than them.

There's also the simple  Kelly-Spooner-Smith ,  Paille-Campbell-Thornton  option.  But I'm fine with using Caron.