S--t players say during work stoppages...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

S--t players say during work stoppages...

...that don't elicit sympathy from anyone.  This started under Barch's rant (he sounds like a reality TV contestant "I want it more than any of the other girls!  I'm here for the right reasons!").  Players making seven figures to play sports, or even high-six-figures, crying that they're hard done by can take a ridiculous turn.  So far, Fletch and I come up with three beauties:

We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too. - Patrick Ewing.

We all gotta eat. - Ty Law

I go my family to feed.  - Latrell Sprewell (explaining why he turned down a 3 year contract at $7M/yr)

This thread is for the stupid slips of the brain by players who are not PR savvy.  Add at will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: S--t players say during work stoppages...

I think that mentioning Port, in any context, does little to aid the argument of financial vulnerability.  Is there anything more pretentious than the image of someone sipping a snifter of Port in front of the fireplace?  

Nothing conjures up the hard-working blue collar image quite like fancy dessert wines.

Reminds me of Monty Burns complaining that "this old place is falling apart" after a massive pile of jewels and money come crashing through the ceiling of his mansion...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I did a quick search, all I could come up with was...

I’m rich. What am I supposed to do, hide it?
    -Detroit Tiger Lou Whitaker, arriving in a stretch limo for a players’ union meeting during the 1994 baseball strike.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that mentioning Port, in any context, does little to aid the argument of financial vulnerability.  Is there anything more pretentious than the image of someone sipping a snifter of Port in front of the fireplace?  

Nothing conjures up the hard-working blue collar image quite like fancy dessert wines.

Reminds me of Monty Burns complaining that "this old place is falling apart" after a massive pile of jewels and money come crashing through the ceiling of his mansion...

[/QUOTE]

LMAO EXACTLY !  I was waitng for him to say while smoking a Romeo y Julieta NO1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Charles Barkley's quote on why he was a Republican is a beauty.  I could not find the exact quote.  But when I searched I found this.  

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Add Zetterberg's "They honor the contracts [in Russia]."

I believe the qualification here is "sure - if you're a superstar."  Aren't there several stories of second tier NHL players going to the KHL and finding that the compensation doesn't match what they were led to believe?  Or simply cut loose for nothing?

Dear Henrik: Your current contract is based on this:  43-49-92, playoffs 13-14-27.  You have been delivering this: 22-47-69, playoffs 2-1-3.  Please honor your contract.  - Sincerely, Wings Fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe the qualification here is "sure - if you're a superstar."  Aren't there several stories of second tier NHL players going to the KHL and finding that the compensation doesn't match what they were led to believe?  Or simply cut loose for nothing?

[/QUOTE]

2009-02-10 

Former Ottawa goalie Ray Emery has – for the time being - left his team in Russia in protest.

The 26-year-old oft-troubled netminder didn’t report back to Mytishchi Atlant following the end of the Kontinental League’s mid-season break and according to ESPN, Emery is citing salary-related issues as his reason for staying away.

The team has reportedly used the wrong exchange rate in the past on the goalie’s annual wage of $2 million and Emery claims this has left him about 33 percent short of the pay that he is owed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Actually, didnt a team refuse to pay John Grahame?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dear Henrik: Your current contract is based on this:  43-49-92, playoffs 13-14-27.  You have been delivering this: 22-47-69, playoffs 2-1-3.  Please honor your contract.  - Sincerely, Wings Fan.

Now that made me LOL. Just shows you how dull I am or how bored I am without hockey.  Will this end soon???

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO EXACTLY !  I was waitng for him to say while smoking a Romeo y Julieta NO1.

[/QUOTE]

Then adding "I'd write more but my limo's waiting." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Whatever the players make,they earn it by hard work.

I wish that they owned the teams cooperatively and we could get rid of the greedy pigs like Jacobs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to skater68's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whatever the players make,they earn it by hard work.

I wish that they owned the teams cooperatively and we could get rid of the greedy pigs like Jacobs

[/QUOTE]

I would love players to be part owners with teams, manage player salaries and lose money with a franchise. 

That'll never happen because they're just as greedy and too afraid to lose money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, come on. "They earn it with hard work"? What measuring stick connects how hard someone works out in order to play a sport with the kind of money these guys make - even at the lowest end of the scale?  The players play a game.  The only value of that game is entertainment.  It is otherwise meaningless and valueless.  The sport as a whole has a larger value in teaching some deep values about perseverence and teamwork etc., but that's a different thing.  It would carry those values regardless of who was playing.

I don't know that they work harder than a lot of really low paying jobs. Look at how many of the guys known for their strength over the years were farm boys.  Guys like Howe, Wendell Clark, Probert, Doan - they grew up working a lot harder on the farm than they did playing hockey.

I don't dispute that they have to work hard, and, even more important, be disciplined about their bodies and lives if they want to succeed in the NHL.  But that work doesn't give them a right to earn stacks of cash.  If there wasn't an NHL to provide the machine that turns their game into cash, they be like me and BadHab and SoxFan and red and everyone else on here who plays in front of empty bleachers because we love the game.