Seguin at the dot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Seguin at the dot

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That 1-for-14 was one game.  That happens sometimes.

His total FO% is 37%.  Which is still bad, but not ST bad.

[/QUOTE]

OK, didn't realize that, I thought it was a sampling of a less than 10%.  

37% isn't great, but it's much better than that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Being a goalie you get to see how draws are won & lost, but you don't necessarily know why. I do think strength has a part in it, because I remember seeing a stat recently & Lucic had like a 80% or close to it as a FO %. Yannick Perrault only lasted as long as he did, because of his F/O prowness, so there has to be some sort of technique involved, because the same guys are always in lead most seasons. I have told some of my teammates that a certain player is killing him in our zone draws. But they mostly just shrugged it off. So, I'd relay that one of our d-men, who'd tell the coach. The coach usually would then take that guy off the dot against that particular player. 

One the strangest goals I ever had scored on me was off the draw. Ref dropped the puck, it bounced up off the ice & the opposing player batted it out of the air, went thru my centermens legs & up & over my shoulder. I didn't even see the blur, just saw the puck make contact with his stick. My d-men was the one who saw it go thru my center's legs. I didn't see shiiiit on that one. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That 1-for-14 was one game.  That happens sometimes.

His total FO% is 37%.  Which is still bad, but not ST bad.

[/QUOTE]

OK, didn't realize that, I thought it was a sampling of a less than 10%.  

37% isn't great, but it's much better than that.

[/QUOTE]
    It's still very bad - 115 players in the NHL have taken at least 100 draws this season. Of those 115 players, Seguin's percentage of 37.0 is 114th (Nathan MacKinnon with his 13 career games, is 115th at 35.6)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Did a little more research and the NHL has 207 players listed as centres. Of those 207, Seguin's faceoff % is 201st, and all of the players below him have had significantly fewer attempts than Seguin's 165 - MacKinnon (115) Pageau (68) DeCosta (30) Killorn (7) Peverley (6) and Lander (4).

He's not just bad - if you exclude a rookie, he's pretty much the worst in the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Being a goalie you get to see how draws are won & lost, but you don't necessarily know why. I do think strength has a part in it, because I remember seeing a stat recently & Lucic had like a 80% or close to it as a FO %. Yannick Perrault only lasted as long as he did, because of his F/O prowness, so there has to be some sort of technique involved, because the same guys are always in lead most seasons. I have told some of my teammates that a certain player is killing him in our zone draws. But they mostly just shrugged it off. So, I'd relay that one of our d-men, who'd tell the coach. The coach usually would then take that guy off the dot against that particular player. 

One the strangest goals I ever had scored on me was off the draw. Ref dropped the puck, it bounced up off the ice & the opposing player batted it out of the air, went thru my centermens legs & up & over my shoulder. I didn't even see the blur, just saw the puck make contact with his stick. My d-men was the one who saw it go thru my center's legs. I didn't see shiiiit on that one. 

[/QUOTE]

Strength and technique. Also, players like Bergeron, Oates and Peter Zezel were terrific face off men becuase of the work they put into that craft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Bonus point for the Zezel reference. 44 years old is awfully young to die.

Brind'Amour was great at the dot too

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats who I was missing, great call.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Funny Zezel's name is mentioned just saw him on YoungBlood the other night. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Just bustin your chops...& stirrin the pot. You & Steve have had some battles & I was just havin some fun. 

[/QUOTE]

I really can't agree or disagree.  Unless it's written by Book, I never read those long posts.  I figure whatever I may get out of them isn't worth the time I would put into them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really can't agree or disagree.  Unless it's written by Book, I never read those long posts.  I figure whatever I may get out of them isn't worth the time I would put into them.

[/QUOTE]

You really ought to write a book about making friends and influencing people, just write the opposite of everything you were about to say.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I hope Bergeron takes every draw against Seguin (likely scenario, actually) and skunks him for the night. 0 for 15.

Someone with his skill level isn't bound to lose 13/14 every time he takes the ice, some of that is just attributed to luck. I'm pretty sure I could win that many, if given the opportunity. All it takes is for you to get your stick on it, or for the other guy to miss it first.

I was always a big fan of the tie-up and kick. If you're stronger and more aggressive than the guy (which Seguin isn't stronger than most NHL players) you're going against, you'll win it just about every time. You literally just put your stick on the same side of the dot as the other guy and go right for his stick. Seguin is likely just trying to win it clean every time (surprise, surprise) and other guys are taking advantage of it.

I always heard the "Seguin is a natural center" argument and kind of wondered why. Centers are generally pass-first players, and he just doesn't strike me as that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

NHL centers are a lot better than those in Junior, so in defense of Seguin, he doesn't have much experience.  In fact, his f/o skills have probably diminished since he regularly played the position.  Couple that with incredibly tougher competition than he's ever known and it becomes apparent it would be amazing if he were anything other than weak. Faceoffs are a craft all their own, and those really good at it are obsessed.  That obsession makes them study other centers more closely, know each linesman inside out, and practice, practice, practice.  Like any other part of the game, some get it naturally, some quicker than others, and some never do.  In todays game, there is greater expectation though, so I expect if Seguin doesn't get considerably better at the dot, he'll be too much of a liability at center.

Regarding "natural centers"...that term is usually reflective of those who skate really well. Speed is a real asset at that position as it requires more skating. The notion of "seeing the ice well" is also implied, but I don't know how anyone could pigeon hole Seguin in that category.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

All that said yet Seguin leads the Stars in points !!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their 14 points in 14 games is really setting them up for a great Cup run.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO, No kidding! How many championships does that Kessel guy have? Oh wait..They just started making the play-offs after 4 seasons since he's been there. Oh how about Ovie & Backstrom, Mike Green & company with the Caps? All all-stars & World Class, what have they won again...OH yes individual trophy nominations, Art Ross's, & President trophy's. No cups & barely 1st round wins! DUMB comment from a dumb poster!

[/QUOTE]

Better look in the mirror before you call people dumb posters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their 14 points in 14 games is really setting them up for a great Cup run.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO, No kidding! How many championships does that Kessel guy have? Oh wait..They just started making the play-offs after 4 seasons since he's been there. Oh how about Ovie & Backstrom, Mike Green & company with the Caps? All all-stars & World Class, what have they won again...OH yes individual trophy nominations, Art Ross's, & President trophy's. No cups & barely 1st round wins! DUMB comment from a dumb poster!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What did he say that was wrong?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He called me a dumb poster for simply stating that Seguin is leading the Stars in points.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He called me a dumb poster for simply stating that Seguin is leading the Stars in points.

[/QUOTE]

I did not see your original post JP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joliger. Show joliger's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just read that he was removed from playing center after going 1 for 14 on faceoffs.

Back to the wing where the B's had you, kid.  That's terrible.

[/QUOTE]

Was Seguin actually moved to the wing?  I think the story I read essentially said that someone else was taking the draws for him.  But he was still playing center, is that correct?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He won 6 of 9 last night, for whatever reason...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to joliger's comment:[QUOTE] Just read that he was removed from playing center after going 1 for 14 on faceoffs.

Back to the wing where the B's had you, kid.  That's terrible. [/QUOTE]

Was Seguin actually moved to the wing?  I think the story I read essentially said that someone else was taking the draws for him.  But he was still playing center, is that correct? [/QUOTE]

Yes, Lindy Ruff basically said that to the press in so many words.