Seguin concussed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Seguin concussed?

He's not playing tonight against Edmonton because of concussion symptoms. It's reported that he was hurt last Friday against Chicago, although he played the entire game and participated in the shoot out. Anybody watch that game?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Seguin concussed?

Drink enough vodka and grape soda and it will give you concussion-like symptoms, I'm sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drink enough vodka and grape soda and it will give you concussion-like symptoms, I'm sure.

[/QUOTE]

I briefly thought the same thing, but hope not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Whatever it is....I hope a fast & full recovery which if it's vodka & grape soda it will be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Was Rob Ford at the Stars/Hawks game?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He seems to be everywhere....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've never heard of a concussion where you don't realize you have one until the next day.  

Not saying anything except I've never heard of it.

Can anyone enlighten me (us?) further?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've never heard of a concussion where you don't realize you have one until the next day.  

[/QUOTE]

I am not an MD but, yes, symptoms can show up an hour, a day, even a week or more after the incident. Ihave personal experience with this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I think the key here is that the symptoms are associated with "post-concussion" syndrome.  So it's entirely possible to get whacked, count your fingers and toes, feel pretty much okay for a guy who just got whacked, and go back out to play - then wake up puking the next morning.  I can totally buy a guy not knowing the difference between having a concussion and not having one if the symptoms of PCS are delayed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Not knowing what time zone you're in is another symptom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My nephew got badly checked from behind last year - he ended up with a bad concussion but the symptoms never showed up until the next day when he went to school. He ended up passing out. I don't know how that works and have no idea about the science behind it but anecdotally I can say that it can happen. The brain is a weird thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I hope hes ok.  Great young player.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I hope he is ok .....but could he be another Nathan Horton ?      

That trade would probably be the trade of the decade for PC , therefore diminishing my hopes of getting a phone call from Mr Neely

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My nephew got badly checked from behind last year - he ended up with a bad concussion but the symptoms never showed up until the next day when he went to school. He ended up passing out. I don't know how that works and have no idea about the science behind it but anecdotally I can say that it can happen. The brain is a weird thing.

[/QUOTE]

Yah, looking at Stanley...  Yah...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Me too. After I broke my jaw last year, I started feeling concussion symptoms a couple days later.  Fortunately they passed.

When Eaves broke his jaw, he did the same thing (the team actually announced they were happy he didnt have a concussion, at first) and the concussion kept him out for a year.

It happens. Hope TS is OK.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have to believe that some people are more susceptible than others.  I remember being in a fight when I was a kid and repeatedly head butting another kid.  I swear he didn't even blink and I was getting hurt worse than him.  Anyways, hopefully Tyler isn't gong to be having chronic concussion problems.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

I have to believe that some people are more susceptible than others.  I remember being in a fight when I was a kid and repeatedly head butting another kid.  I swear he didn't even blink and I was getting hurt worse than him.  Anyways, hopefully Tyler isn't gong to be having chronic concussion problems.

[/QUOTE]

With all the attention concussions get these days, do you think back to when you were younger and all the times you whacked your head? I know I do. It would explain alot too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With all the attention concussions get these days, do you think back to when you were younger and all the times you whacked your head? I know I do. It would explain alot too.

[/QUOTE]

Oh absolutely. All the time.  I can't tell you how often I've just been sitting there staring at my computer - like, sitting for a long time without really reading anything or tracking what's going on, and feeling like I've been there for days with nothing changing.  And when I come out of it, all I can think is man, Kel must have hit his head a lot when he was a kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Not divert too much from the subject, anyone over the age of 40 has had concussion symptoms.  I pitched a (junior) little league championship in Rochester, NY. I was hit in the head while at bat. With blood all over the uniform, and plenty of dizziness, I pitched the rest of the game.  Lost 2-1.  The whole scene would not have happened today.  Thankfully.

As for Seguin, he will not be a Stam(p)kos or a Tavaras imo.  He is an exciting player.  He is the type of player the NHL needs.  He was not effective in last year's Stanley Cup, if he was he would still be a Bruin.  So, I hope he recovers and continues to improve.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was cranked in the head a number of times growing up. Headaches, dizziness etc. But like most people who are over 30, I played through it or carried on with whatever else I was up to (or maybe stayed home in bed for a day in the worst instance). I'm grateful that now with the younger generation these are taken more seriously and kids aren't just being thrown back on to the field or ice without being checked out. I'm especially glad that with the way medical science has been able to prove that in women's sport the rate of concussions is significantly higher than in men's sport (women hockey players are almost twice as likely to get a concussion as men for example) that the sports leagues my nieces play in have taken it very seriously and have some pretty solid protocols in place now.

And no, I'm not just making that thing about concussions in women's hockey up.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/at-the-mayo-clinic-womens-hockey-a-most-dangerous-game/?_r=0

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I mentioned 40 rather than 30 as the 90s the concussion issue was noted in the media...Lindros/Ali.  Thanks for adding the article on women's hockey.  Very interesting.  The rationale why the frequency for concussions is higher will be important for all leagues.  Generally speaking, males have greater spatial awareness.  So I can understand the argument that women are not as prepared for contact.  

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was cranked in the head a number of times growing up. Headaches, dizziness etc. But like most people who are over 30, I played through it or carried on with whatever else I was up to (or maybe stayed home in bed for a day in the worst instance). I'm grateful that now with the younger generation these are taken more seriously and kids aren't just being thrown back on to the field or ice without being checked out. I'm especially glad that with the way medical science has been able to prove that in women's sport the rate of concussions is significantly higher than in men's sport (women hockey players are almost twice as likely to get a concussion as men for example) that the sports leagues my nieces play in have taken it very seriously and have some pretty solid protocols in place now.

And no, I'm not just making that thing about concussions in women's hockey up.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/at-the-mayo-clinic-womens-hockey-a-most-dangerous-game/?_r=0

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Seguin could be back in the lineup for the Stars tonight,sounds about right after one too many "purple jesus's", good to see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] Drink enough vodka and grape soda and it will give you concussion-like symptoms, I'm sure. [/QUOTE]

Was Rob Ford at the Stars/Hawks game? [/QUOTE]

I hope he never goes away!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] Drink enough vodka and grape soda and it will give you concussion-like symptoms, I'm sure. [/QUOTE]

Was Rob Ford at the Stars/Hawks game? [/QUOTE]

I hope he never goes away!

[/QUOTE]

Love that guy, if it wasn't for the crack & heroin use he might even get re-elected!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

haha...oh man!! That guy needs his own reality tv show.