"Seguin's Got To Become More Of A Professional" - Peter Chiarelli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't buy the "no one wanted him" angle.  I think it's more like, "No one wanted him at the asking price."

That "king's ransom" reference comes to mind.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

Re:

Maybe PC shouldn't have given the party boy the hefty pay raise ? I hope he hits rock bottom this off season with his partying like Patrick Kane did at u of wisconsin last year I think this may be the only type of thing where he finaly turns the page after he hits rock bottom.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

Re:

I'm surprised Chiarelli called him out in public, doesn't really seem to do the team any good.  Sure it could motivate him, but if it doesn't it kills his trade value.

As of this morning, the Bruins had good reason to ask a kings ransom for him.  A young dynamic playmaker who is best suited to play center.  Unfortunately here he's stuck behind a guy who lead the league in postseason scoring 2 of the past 3 years, and the face of the frachise in Patrice Bergeron.  Add to that the team is against the cap and looking to win now.  Easy to see how Seguin could be worth more to another team than here, especially a team struggling to sell tickets.

I suppose it's good news to fans 100% against trading him under any scenario, but if calling him out in front of his teammates doesn't light a fire under him, why would calling him out in the media?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Re:

Read some rumors about his partying in another forum and some specifics, hope they arent true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re:

Hope Tyler doesn't end up like Dewey Cox!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re:

Good for Chiarelli. The kid can be as good as he wants to be. When he realizes it's up to him, changing his lifestyle and habits off the ice will be rewarded on the ice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Off-ice partying in college dorms around Boston is becoming legendary.

Yeah San, I hate to say that I've heard those rumors too and just hoped they were exaggerated.

Neely, Moog and Byers hit the clubs. So did Allision and McLaren were notorious etc., all teams have those players that like being single...we all get it.

Now it's time Tyler get serious

[/QUOTE]

I remember reading Derek Sanderson was notorious for his nightlife back in his Bruin days, San.  Didn't he own a club with Namath and Ken Harrelson at one time?  But yeah, the Bruins have a multi-million dollar investment in Seguin.  He should do his utmost to prove he was worth their faith.

[/QUOTE]

Derek Sanderson, while accomplishing more than Seguin has so far (including 2 Cups), wound up a raging acoholic and drug addict, almost died, was bankrupt and at one point was sleeping on a park bench, homeless, a couple years removed from being the highest paid professional athlete (WHA contract).  Is that what we want to compare Seguin to while saying it was OK for Moog and Neely?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't buy the "no one wanted him" angle.  I think it's more like, "No one wanted him at the asking price."

Agree with this.

Plus, I highly doubt PC is actively shopping him. More likely he is using this as an excuse to call Tyler out. I mean, if PC really were actively shopping Seguin, would he really diminish him in the press? Kind of drops his value on the market does it not?

Wake up Tyler and show everyone what you are really capable of next season!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

Could also be that he made some calls - enough to get the phones ringing - and when other teams heard the asking price, they bailed.  In other words, he wasn't priced to move; he was priced to advertise.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re:

It's possible Book...besides, if this does not motivate him nothing will.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re:

In response to islamorada's comment:

It does not sound good at all.  First if the above "fun times" are true, secondly that the trade value is about the same as Dion Phaneuf at this point  given the public spanking.  Lastly, PC obviously is not going to trade him.  This is not a good sign in any shape and form for the Boston Bruins.  

Don't judge me monkey!

Why? This isn't one of your students that have failed after being called out. I think for a 21yr old making that kind of dough should be called out if he's not taking his role seriously. I applaude PC & the organization! Maybe they've protected the "rich brat!" enough! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Off-ice partying in college dorms around Boston is becoming legendary.

Yeah San, I hate to say that I've heard those rumors too and just hoped they were exaggerated.

Neely, Moog and Byers hit the clubs. So did Allision and McLaren were notorious etc., all teams have those players that like being single...we all get it.

[/QUOTE]

I remember reading Derek Sanderson was notorious for his nightlife back in his Bruin days, San.  Didn't he own a club with Namath and Ken Harrelson at one time?  But yeah, the Bruins have a multi-million dollar investment in Seguin.  He should do his utmost to prove he was worth their faith.

[/QUOTE]

Derek Sanderson, while accomplishing more than Seguin has so far (including 2 Cups), wound up a raging acoholic and drug addict, almost died, was bankrupt and at one point was sleeping on a park bench, homeless, a couple years removed from being the highest paid professional athlete (WHA contract).  Is that what we want to compare Seguin to while saying it was OK for Moog and Neely?

[/QUOTE]

Who's saying this was OK for anyone? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Re:

PC likely regrets the 6 year $34.4 million contract he awarded Seguin. Based on his play in the last year no GM would be interested at that price. Seguin must take the hint and improve or the Daigle comparison will more than fit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to jmwalters' comment:

It's possible Book...besides, if this does not motivate him nothing will.

JMW, on some of your posts, your bold button is stuck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re:

When a team drafts a player 2nd overall, you would expect that player to possess a certain level of leadership skills IMO.  Seguin hasn't really shown any to this point, maybe that's what PC is talking about.  And as mentioned previously,  he needs to do it on and off the ice.  A tall order?  Yes, but those are the expectations.

I think back to Joe Thornton and wonder where it all went wrong.  My only logical conclusion is that personally, he wanted no part of the leadership role and just wanted to be one of the guys; while the team had other expectations.  That's some bad soup right there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re:

What a bunch of nonsense. Not sure what "professionalism" and "maturity" have to do with unwillingness to engage in winning one on one battles to get puck possession? This is just a nice way of someone calling him out - finally, without crossing a line that would be too insulting publicly. I'm sure that the partying and lack of commitment is an issue , but if he was competing along the boards, or god forbid playing to the physical level of a David Krejci or Chris Kelly - then nobody would care what he was doing in his personal life. Jaromir Jagr at 41 yrs old won more puck battles on the wall since the deadline than Seguin did in three years, and that's not about playing like Milan Lucic - it's about competing without fear. Time to man up...this is your wake up call little boy. Good for PC for calling him out, and CJ gets credit for the demotion and reduced ice time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re:

In response to JWensink's comment:

What a bunch of nonsense. Not sure what "professionalism" and "maturity" have to do with unwillingness to engage in winning one on one battles to get puck possession? 

He has improved his willingness to engage in puck battles. The problem lies in him losing more then winning these battles.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I remember reading Derek Sanderson was notorious for his nightlife back in his Bruin days, San.  Didn't he own a club with Namath and Ken Harrelson at one time?  But yeah, the Bruins have a multi-million dollar investment in Seguin.  He should do his utmost to prove he was worth their faith. [/QUOTE]

Derek Sanderson, while accomplishing more than Seguin has so far (including 2 Cups), wound up a raging acoholic and drug addict, almost died, was bankrupt and at one point was sleeping on a park bench, homeless, a couple years removed from being the highest paid professional athlete (WHA contract).  Is that what we want to compare Seguin to while saying it was OK for Moog and Neely? [/QUOTE]

Who's saying this was OK for anyone? [/QUOTE]

It wasn't OK Nite all those players were warned and eventually stopped. Sanderson, on the other hand, was allowed to spiral downward during the 70s. Finally Orr stepped in and helped him. Big difference with investments between the 70s and 90s, salries are that differnce.

I say Seguin understands the warning and steps it up. I doubt very much PC wanted to make that announcment and who would ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a bunch of nonsense. Not sure what "professionalism" and "maturity" have to do with unwillingness to engage in winning one on one battles to get puck possession? 

He has improved his willingness to engage in puck battles. The problem lies in him losing more then winning these battles.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps that's what PC is talking about?  Kid needs to work harder to get stronger.  Maybe PC sees the off-ice stuff getting in the way of that part of his development?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re:

Im glad the Bruins still have him as he has HUGE potential upside obvisouly.  Once he commits and shows up every game, he'll be great. But the kid really needs to start growing up.  I've been told police get called to his apartment on the regular.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Perhaps that's what PC is talking about?  Kid needs to work harder to get stronger.  Maybe PC sees the off-ice stuff getting in the way of that part of his development?

I don't know, Crowls.  You hear plenty about Seguin's commitment to off-season training - working out with Gary Roberts, always competing with the other players to be fastest, strongest, do the most reps etc.  If it's about his physical prep, I think it's more the side of taking care of his body and his energy level during the season.  Day in and day out nutrition, work-outs, getting enough sleep.  Puts me in mind of the story they did on Bergeron during the playoffs and how the team recognized immediately how professional Bergeron's approach to the game was - he knows how to prepare day in and day out.

Seguin, for all his all-world skills (speed, hand-eye coordination, and wrist shot are all still as good as anyone in the world), has not accomplished as much on a top five NHL roster in his first three years as Bergeron did in his first three on a largely underwhelming roster.  Bergeron topped 30 goals his second full NHL campaign.  Bergeron topped 70 points his second and third NHL campaigns.  Because he approaches the game like a pro and always has.  I think that's what they're looking for from Seguin.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Re:

Well it looks like they are "stuck" with him.  Now that they have called him out they will not be able to get fair market value for him which should include potential since he is only 21. At this point to give him every opportunity to step up they need to give him a fair shot at his natural position.  A fair shot is at least half a season. When he has played centre he has struggled with the defensive responsibilities however he has continued to improve defensively. If he gets a fair shot perhaps he can play adequate defence.  If that goes hand in hand with improved offense, confidence and compete level adequate will be good enough for the first season as long as he is continuing to learn and improve.  With Horton gone unless they can bring in a guy like  Vinny they  are going to need to replace his offense. Seguin unleashed a little has the potential to do so. Play Kelly on the wing and let Tyler be the 3rd line centre. It probably won't happen unless there is some directive from PC because CJ is such a conservative coach.  That has worked well with the team he had but now with younger players in the line-up it is about development which means giving opportnities for development. It also means living with mistakes as players go through the learning curve, as long as the effort is there.  If Seguin than shows no progress or doesn't bring the required maturity and work effort, trade him. If they don't give him a fair shot he will probably end up being another former Bruin who excels somewhere else. If they give him a fair chance and he doesn't come through then chances are he will never live up to the initial prediction of his ability.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re:

PC see's 5.75 million to the cap and wants his money's worth.  That's all it is.

Maybe Seguin figured hey i'm still under an entry level deal, I'll play accordingly and took the year off.  Or maybe he got a taste of playing Chicago style hockey with Kane and just wasn't feeling it when he got back to defense first hockey.  Who knows.  We'll find out next season I guess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know, Crowls.  You hear plenty about Seguin's commitment to off-season training - working out with Gary Roberts, always competing with the other players to be fastest, strongest, do the most reps etc.  If it's about his physical prep, I think it's more the side of taking care of his body and his energy level during the season.  Day in and day out nutrition, work-outs, getting enough sleep.  Puts me in mind of the story they did on Bergeron during the playoffs and how the team recognized immediately how professional Bergeron's approach to the game was - he knows how to prepare day in and day out.

Seguin, for all his all-world skills (speed, hand-eye coordination, and wrist shot are all still as good as anyone in the world), has not accomplished as much on a top five NHL roster in his first three years as Bergeron did in his first three on a largely underwhelming roster.  Bergeron topped 30 goals his second full NHL campaign.  Bergeron topped 70 points his second and third NHL campaigns.  Because he approaches the game like a pro and always has.  I think that's what they're looking for from Seguin.

[/QUOTE]

Book- for all/any of Seguin's limitations, having good jump seems low on the list.  He usually has his skating legs, maybe being 21 lends itself to that.

So what are we or PC talking about "being a pro"?  What is the behavior required and what is the expected area that improves?  As JW points out, Seguin needs to improve his puck battle success.  How does being a pro translate?

On Bergeron's success, worth pointing out that he accomplished those two 70-point seasons playing for Mike Sullivan & Dave Lewis while playing over 20 minutes per game.  Bergeron is also considered one of the premier two-way players in the world.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

I hate to agree with Book so much, but this is what I was thinking yesterday when I saw this. I have a ton of faith in PC and I certainly am not one to shelter Seguin from criticism, but it's hard to believe that work ethic, fitness, or committment are the issue with him.  Maybe it is, but his problems on the ice seem different than that stuff to me.

I compare him to Marchand a lot and I think that comparison is revealing when looking at one guy who keeps excelling and the other who doesn't.  When watching them both carry the the puck into the zone, I think you can see Marchand being more effective with his choices and hockey sense.  

They both have the speed and skills to beat D-men one on one, sometimes.  But Marchand seems to know when to free-wheel, when to delay and pass, when to curl back, when to chip it deep.  He makes quick adjustments, keep the D off guard and seems very comfortible switching to plan B and plan C on the fly.  That's where Seguin struggles, I think.  He looks predictable on the rush a lot of times.  There seems to be a lack of quick intincts to take what the defense is giving him and make the best play available.

That's a long way of saying that I don't think his problems lie in training or work ethic, primarily.  Maybe PC means that he needs to be more focused in practice and training to evolve his hockey senses, but I think you get plenty of effort from Seguin.  He seems engaged and hard working to me, just not developing the quick intincts and hockey sense to utilize his skills as much as others.