Sens v. Bruins Game Thread (02/04/13)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sens v. Bruins Game Thread (02/04/13)

Last 10: Ottawa 6-2-2; Boston 5-4-1

Season Series: This is the fourth of five meetings between the Northeast Division rivals. The Bruins are 3-0 with one win in regulation, one in overtime and one in the shootout.

Big Story: Boston is fighting Montreal for the lead in the Northeast Division, but the Ottawa Senators aren't too far behind. They are four points behind the Bruins and are starting a critical seven-game road trip at TD Garden. 

Team Scope:

Senators: They are coming off a 4-0 loss at home to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday. The Senators put 31 shots on goal, including 26 over the final 40 minutes, but couldn't solve Leafs goalie James Reimer.

The Senators had won three straight prior to the loss to Toronto.

"When we win, we say we have to go on to the next game," Senators forward Guillaume Latendresse said. "When you lose, you have to do the same thing. ... We're playing against Boston, and that's what we have to do now."

Robin Lehner, who has been in net for all three games against the Bruins, is expected to start Tuesday night. He allowed two goals in each of the three previous games, including a 44-save effort in his season debut on Feb. 28.

Bruins: Boston is coming off a much-needed 2-0 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday. The Bruins lost to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday and blew a lead in the third period and lost in a shootout, 6-5, to the Montreal Canadiens last Wednesday.

"I think we're going to call it a step forward," Bruins coach Claude Julien said following the game Sunday. "The effort [Sunday night] was much better. We're skating better."

The Bruins recent skid cost them their lead in the Northeast Division to the Canadiens.

However, the Bruins got a strong performance from backup goalie Anton Khudobin in Buffalo and a pair of third-period goals from the top line of David Krejci, Nathan Horton and Milan Lucic.

Krejci and Horton each had a goal and an assist. Lucic contributed on Horton's goal, which came with 4:16 left in regulation.

Who's hot: The Senators just got shut out by the Maple Leafs, so anyone who was hot isn't anymore. However, forward Mike Zibanejad had a four-game point streak going prior to that game. For the Bruins, they need the Krejci line to stay hot. Krejci scored his first goal in seven games and just his second in 12 against Sabres. Horton got his third in as many games.

Injury report: Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid is out (shoulder). The Senators are still missing center Jason Spezza (back), defenseman Erik Karlsson (Achilles), Milan Michalek (knee), Craig Anderson (ankle) and Jared Cowen (hip).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Sens v. Bruins Game Thread (02/04/13)

GNB's preview of tonight and appears to have an error by showing the Flyers record: 

Good morning from TD Garden, where the Bruins will face off against the Senators tonight. Ottawa is four points behind the Bruins for second place in the Northeast Division.

Goalie Anton Khudobin is coming off a 2-0 shutout over Buffalo. For now, we’ll assume Khudobin will make his second straight start.

Puck drop: 7 p.m.

TV/radio info: NESN (Jack Edwards, Andy Brickley, Naoko Funayama),98.5 The Sports Hub (Dave Goucher, Bob Beers)

Records: Bruins 21-7-4, Flyers 13-7-3

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Tyler Seguin
    Jay Pandolfo-Rich Peverley-Jordan Caron
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dougie Hamilton
    Matt Bartkowski-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk

Anton Khudobin
    Tuukka Rask

Healthy scratches: Aaron Johnson, Lane MacDermid

Storylines: Chris Kelly (leg) and Adam McQuaid (shoulder) skated this morning under the watch of strength and conditioning coach John Whitesides. Kelly is probably closer than McQuaid to returning. The Bruins’ third line needs serious help… The trade deadline is at 4 p.m. tomorrow. Had the Senators been out of the hunt, Daniel Alfredsson would have been atop the Bruins’ wish list. But Ottawa will be buying instead of selling… This will be a matchup of the No. 1 and No. 2 penalty kills in the league… Brad Watson and Gord Dwyer will be the referees. Brad Kovachik and Tim Nowak will be the linesmen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

No mention of the Junk Yard Daug?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Our 4th line is our 3rd line.  This cant continue.  Upgrades are coming soon.  Gonna be a wild 48 hrs.  Gotta hit the gym early tomorrow before deadline day on tsn.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Im not sure where he is?  Hes an upgrade over 3 of our fwds.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Win, and the Senators have to make up 6 points over their final 12 games (Bruins will have 13 games).  Loose, and it's only 2 points.  If the Bruins don't show play-off intensity tonight, I'll be disappointed.

• Hey look, more text editing options!
    • Still no delete button though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Last I heard he was still stuck at customs.

Maybe he is really a mule for the Latvian mob or something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Our 4th line is our 3rd line.  This cant continue.  Upgrades are coming soon.  Gonna be a wild 48 hrs.  Gotta hit the gym early tomorrow before deadline day on tsn.   

You are absolutely right as this is how CJ has been doling out the minutes to the lines for a few weeks now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Last I heard he was still stuck at customs.

Maybe he is really a mule for the Latvian mob or something.

I don't care if he is a skating mule.  I would like to see anyone else besides Caron or Pandolpho.  Not sure why Lane hasn't gotten into a game either?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I don't care if he is a skating mule.  I would like to see anyone else besides Caron or Pandolpho.  Not sure why Lane hasn't gotten into a game either?  

This has been surprising to me too. What is the point of having this guy on the roster all season again?

Send him down at least and if someone picks him up on waivers so what? Its not like he was actually playing for the organization anyway.

Complete mystery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

From what I've seen of JY Daug he's a better, faster skater than Caron or Pandolpho for sure. I can't imagine he's not an upgrade. Apparently they are having a had time finding a Latvian translator at Candian customs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Naoko Funayama @NaokoFunayama

Kaspars Daugavins still dealing with visa issues. When it's resolved, he will join team. #Bruins

3:50 PM - 02 Apr 13

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Sorry JM,  I was distracted when I was putting up the records.  Ottawa and Philadelphia are next to each other in alphabetical order.  I have a lot on my mind lately.  It's a busy time of year with the deadline coming up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Sorry JM,  I was distracted when I was putting up the records.  Ottawa and Philadelphia are next to each other in alphabetical order.  I have a lot on my mind lately.  It's a busy time of year with the deadline coming up.

No worries...just don't let it happen againWink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

OH NO!!!! MACDERMID OUT WITH INJURY!!!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/04/lane_macdermid_1.html

Umm Fluto, April Fool's was yesterday!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Dan Cagen ‏@DanCagen 1m

The great wait is over. Daugavins has gotten his visa, is en route to join #Bruins.

Details 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Dan Cagen ‏@DanCagen 1m

The great wait is over. Daugavins has gotten his visa, is en route to join #Bruins.

Details 

Can't wait.

Issues on offense solved!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Just curious but can MacDermid be traded if he is injured?

I am always fuzzy on this point...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Just curious but can MacDermid be traded if he is injured?

I am always fuzzy on this point...

Definitely.  For instance, Kessel was hurt when he was traded.  The other team will insist on a physical to make sure they are comfortable with the nature of the injury, of course.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Definitely.  For instance, Kessel was hurt when he was traded.  The other team will insist on a physical to make sure they are comfortable with the nature of the injury, of course.

Excellent.

Thanks for this.

Maybe Layne will finally get some playing time now....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

glad we now have Jagr. Only saw Daugavins in the one Habs game where he tried the toe puck move. Failed , but inventive, and good puck control. Everyone is slamming Caron and Pandolfo while Claude continues to skate the most useless [ hockey-wise] player in the league.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Why would anyone that's seen Daugavins play be looking forward to him joining the Bruins? I can't remember the last time I was this unexcited for a guy to make his Bruins debut. The guy was essentially cut from the Ottawa Sens and they are currently dressing half of their AHL club. I've seen many Sens games this year. He's not going to improve anything in Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Why would anyone that's seen Daugavins play be looking forward to him joining the Bruins? I can't remember the last time I was this unexcited for a guy to make his Bruins debut. The guy was essentially cut from the Ottawa Sens and they are currently dressing half of their AHL club. I've seen many Sens games this year. He's not going to improve anything in Boston.

I think we are all waiting with baited breathe for his next exotic shootout move....lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Is he better than Pandolfo or Caron?  I would like to see him in the B's line up and determine if he is better than those 2, because those 2 are just not contributing much of anything.  It's more about looking forward to not having to see them play, as much as it is about the junk yard daug!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wouldnt be shocked to see Bishop in net, his name is being mentioned in numerous trade scenarios..Dare I say Showcase!