Seven players trying to avoid 'one-hit wonder' tag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Seven players trying to avoid 'one-hit wonder' tag

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679027&navid=DL|NHL|home

Bryan Bickell, Chicago Blackhawks: Bickell was every bit as surprising during the Stanley Cup Playoffs as Bobrovsky was during the regular season. After scoring nine goals in 48 regular-season games for the Chicago Blackhawks, he matched that total in 25 games during the playoffs. The last one came with 1:16 left in regulation of Game 6 in the Final and tied the score 2-2; Dave Bolland's goal 17 seconds later gave the Blackhawks the Cup. The Blackhawks made a long-term commitment to Bickell this summer; now he has to prove he's ready to step into a more substantial role.

Lars Eller, Montreal Canadiens: Eller's third season with the Canadiens unquestionably was his best -- he had a career-high 30 points in 46 games, up from 28 points in 79 games a season earlier. Eller faces an additional challenge while trying to prove that he can build on those numbers -- he's coming back from a concussion and a broken nose sustained in Game 1 of the Canadiens' Stanley Cup Playoff series against the Ottawa Senators."

I think Kadri keeps rising to good of a player, same with Bickell. I think it is harder for goalies especially if a goalies team starts out slow or gets on a losing streak, the netminder gets blamed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Seven players trying to avoid 'one-hit wonder' tag

I think teams are going to pay closer attention to Kadri and he's not going to see the same numbers he did. I also think Bob will come back to earth a bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh yeah, Tlusty.  Somehow I don't see him maintaining that level of production in Carolina.  And isn't the the guy who had a Carlos Danger moment just before the Leafs dealt him away?

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Oh yeah, Tlusty.  Somehow I don't see him maintaining that level of production in Carolina.  And isn't the the guy who had a Carlos Danger moment just before the Leafs dealt him away?

I remember that.  I think he took them, one of which was of him nude with his cell while with the Greyhounds the year before he joined the Leafs.  His statement was the standard one referencing poor judgement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The stated criteria is for these seven players to repeat their performances of the 2012/13 season.  If I were a Leaf fan I'd include 6-2, 235 lb. Nik Kulemin under the one-hit banner. 

In 2010/11 he blossomed for 30 goals, 27 assists for 57 points in 82 games.  It was thought this was the shape of things to come but in 2011/12 he slumped to 7 goals and 21 assists in 70 games.  This past season saw him produce 7 goals, 16 assists in 48 games.  So far he's been unable to reproduce that 30 goal year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Not mentioned: wouldn't be surprised if Krug doesn't make the big boys team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think Krug will be in the mix, but start in Providence because of his contract. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Do tell ?

Not looking for the dry eraser illustration, just want to know what you saw at the end of the playoffs you didn't like.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think Krug makes the team, but has a stint in the A at some point during the season. I think his speed on the back end is too impressive to not keep in there. He's the only d-man that actually has the ability to skate the puck out of the zone with tons of speed. Hamilton can do it, but not with the same speed. However; I hope he learns to pick his spots when he tries it. He tries this against certain players like a Datsyuk he'll get eaten alive. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Oh yeah, Tlusty.  Somehow I don't see him maintaining that level of production in Carolina. 

23 goals in a condensed 48 game season before that 17 goals in an 82 game season. Looks like he is climbing ok.

No ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to asmaha's comment:

Do tell ?

Not looking for the dry eraser illustration, just want to know what you saw at the end of the playoffs you didn't like.

I liked what I saw just fine, but as Book points out there are contract and opportunity issues that might put Krug in Providence to start the season. The thread is about players trying to avoid a fall in production, and I'm simply stating the obvious that it's unrealistic to expect Krug to be a difference-maker every game the way he was during his time last year. No surprises there. I still think it would be a mistake to hand over the keys to 15+ mins of ice time to him from the first puck drop, but instead allow him to continue to develop and be brought up on merit over a longer sample size. I like the cahones with which he moves his feet through traffic. I like the quick shot. I like the creativity on the PP. I don't like that he has difficulty winning heavy battles down low in low own zone, and hesitates slightly when setting up to protect back-door coverage and then gets caught in "no mans land" swinging his stick madly to close passing lanes. But that can be said of just about anyone his age, and there's certainly potential there.

Sorry I don't have my dry erase to make diagrams. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chara-Boychuk

Seidenberg-Krug

McQuiad-Hamilton

Bartkowski

And I don't look back at all. The the kids play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's sort of what I expect, SD, but maybe with different pairings and maybe with Morrow in the mix.  But that's if I don't consider that Krug is a $1.7M cap hit and Bartkowski or Morrow are borscht in comparison - it would save a mil or so against the cap to keep one of those two instead.  So Krug will have to be head and shoulders better. 

Also, it's kids either way.  I don't see the Bruins signing a veteran unless it's Redden on very, very short money - Bartkowski money.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

23 goals in a condensed 48 game season before that 17 goals in an 82 game season. Looks like he is climbing ok.

No ?

He tied for 5th in the league in goals.  He was on a 39 goal pace.  He tied Kane and Toews.

I don't see any of those things happening this year.  I think Carolina would take 23 goals over 82 games and call it a win.  And I would say his spot is a bit precarious.  At F, he's behind Staal, Staal, Semin, Skinner and maybe Ruutu.  Carolina is likely looking for some of their young blood to make a difference next year, and I would guess Lindholm and Rask get a real shot at contributing - maybe even in the top six if Tlusty doesn't look like he's continuing last year's development right out of the gate.  Gerbe, Larose, the mighty Tim Brent - and a guy who's right in your wheelhouse in Aaron Palushaj - give Muller other options.  So...nothing against Tlusty per se, but there are a lot of reasons to think last year was a lockout abberation.

I say Palushaj should be one of your guys because he's bounced around a bit - fourth franchise in six years since he was drafted - and I don't think he's ever been given a real shot at an NHL job.  I saw a couple of US games live when he played in the WJHC, and I thought he was one of the more complete players on that vanRiemsdyk led disappointment.  As an AHLer, he had 32 points as a rookie - 6 more than some guy drafted 36 spots earlier in 2007 (Zach Hamill).  His second year, he tied last year's P-Bruin leading total of 57 points, and third year, he was a point a game player until he was called up.  Back-slide last year when he didn't make the big club, then the trade to Colorado and his best NHL numbers with 9 points in 25 games.  Only 3 Avs forwards who played more than 25 games had a better +/-, but they dumped the guy.

SanDog rule number 1 is if a guy has proven all he can in the A, he deserves to see ice time in the NHL.  Palushaj has gotten a bum deal.