Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Shawn Thornton

i need a break from all this chara talk. i'm seeing more and more people on here saying cj should sit thornton. i agree with this and would like to see a 4th line that looks more like seguin/campbell/paille or maybe recchi/seguin/paille. i think we have enough toughness on this team without thornton. what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Shawn Thornton

I would sit him against Buffalo and see what impact, if any, would occur. Considering the unfortunate play of Seguin last game, however, I do not have a problem with having him be the one sit......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He provides no offense or defense.  Therefore he provides nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I've been as dumfounded as NAS as to why Thornton isn't scratched. I've posted nemerous shortcomings that are repeated game after game. I've acknowledged Thornton bleeds black and gold, but he does not provide any reasonable plus for this team. Once again it is one of Julien's biggest failings, just like Ryder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

As far as I can tell, there is one decent reason that Thornton stays in the lineup -- if the opponent plays very chippy game and forces fights, having Thronton in the lineup protects the guys who do produce from having to fight.

It is a limited but not unimportant role.  I hate when Lucic, Horton and Chara have to fight.  I undertsand that it will happen sometimes, but if another team's goon (skating clown) comes calling it is nice to have a guy that can throw with him, without taking any talent off the ice (both via penalty time and risk to injury).  Send Thronton out to fight Goodard, Shelley, and Carcillo, while we let Lucic and Chara on hockey and winnning.

When the playoffs come, or when playing teams like Detroit that don't fight, I would prefer to see Thornton scratched.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

I think Thorton is great for the team during the regular season. He's seems to play responsibly in the B's system and doesn't really hurt them. I'm not sure how much he helps offensively but it's not like he's a disaster out there. He does have 15 points and is a plus 4. He's also a nice deterrent for some of the other players that may try to take advantage of our players.

That being said I think he needs to be the healthy scratch when the playoffs come around. And playoff hockey has pretty much started so maybe we need to see a little less of him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Thornton:
    [QUOTE]As far as I can tell, there is one decent reason that Thornton stays in the lineup -- if the opponent plays very chippy game and forces fights, having Thronton in the lineup protects the guys who do produce from having to fight. It is a limited but not unimportant role.  I hate when Lucic, Horton and Chara have to fight.  I undertsand that it will happen sometimes, but if another team's goon (skating clown) comes calling it is nice to have a guy that can throw with him, without taking any talent off the ice (both via penalty time and risk to injury).  Send Thronton out to fight Goodard, Shelley, and Carcillo, while we let Lucic and Chara on hockey and winnning. When the playoffs come, or when playing teams like Detroit that don't fight, I would prefer to see Thornton scratched.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I would agree, except that we are seeing less and less heavy weights in the league.  I'm starting to believe that a guy like McQuaid is not far from a top 30 fighter.  Shoot, I don't think Campbell or Ference embarass themselves for that matter.  With an unlimited roster size sure I would rather use Thornton, but given the 20 man limit, I say let the other guys do the dirty work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Against Buffalo, I think Thornton could sit - and I like the protection he gives in the lineup.  He's been slower and slower, though, and against Buffalo, more speed is needed.  Play both Paille and Seguin with Campbell.  I read Julien will move Recchi to the third line with Kelly and Ryder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HAB-FAN. Show HAB-FAN's posts

it is sad that all you see if the montreal canadian jersey and not the person who was injured. he is someone's son and he might have died on that ice surface. chara could have held up on the hit but he decided to rub max out harder and that was whats wrong with the hit. the hit happens alot but when you can hold up and not drive  aplayer into the glass you should, its simple, as simple as boston bruin fans

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]it is sad that all you see if the montreal canadian jersey and not the person who was injured. he is someone's son and he might have died on that ice surface. chara could have held up on the hit but he decided to rub max out harder and that was whats wrong with the hit. the hit happens alot but when you can hold up and not drive  aplayer into the glass you should, its simple, as simple as boston bruin fans
    Posted by HAB-FAN[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with the thread in which you are posting....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]As far as I can tell, there is one decent reason that Thornton stays in the lineup -- if the opponent plays very chippy game and forces fights, having Thronton in the lineup protects the guys who do produce from having to fight. It is a limited but not unimportant role.  I hate when Lucic, Horton and Chara have to fight.  I undertsand that it will happen sometimes, but if another team's goon (skating clown) comes calling it is nice to have a guy that can throw with him, without taking any talent off the ice (both via penalty time and risk to injury).  Send Thronton out to fight Goodard, Shelley, and Carcillo, while we let Lucic and Chara on hockey and winnning. When the playoffs come, or when playing teams like Detroit that don't fight, I would prefer to see Thornton scratched.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

When was the last time an opposing skating clown did anything but fight Thornton?  These guys don't play dirty.  They can't catch a guy on the boards and get turned inside out on most plays.  They lag behind and chat with the other clown and then they go. 

Use.
    Less.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

At least sit him ONE game and see how he responds!!!