Shelley on McQuaid

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Shelley on McQuaid

In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : For the big hockey fan you are I can't beleive you don't see the difference in this play from other situations.McQuaid was on the ice,not moving,looking like he  was knocked out at best(but could've had a broken neck-who knew at the time).So to expect a response any different is foolish.All the players came over and started picking partners when players on both teams noticed that McQuaid looked bad.And strangely enough they acted  like human beings rather than robots  and worried more about a hurt person than immediate revenge.You honestly think there was no fight because they were"pansies"afraid of Shelley and Carcillo?No,they were concerned for a teammate.How people don't understand that,I don't get.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez, you don't get it either.  Someone should have been out of control mad.  Haven't you ever been so mad you said or did something?  Punched a wall?  Threw a glass?  Punched a person?  Someone should have been so furious that they lost control and smashed Jody Shelley's ugly face.  Not the cuddly Bruins of '06-10.  This is where Shawn Thornton falls short.  He is way too in control of his emotions.  The B's need an animal.  If someone did that to Don Sweeney, LB would have went bananas.  If someone did that to Reed Larsen, Jay Miller would have went bananas.

This stuff keeps happening to the team now, and the worst case of instant retribution is a raised voice.

It's embarrassing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : Relax, the psychosis will pass.  Once again are you doing the bait troll carp.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

No need for you to worry about what I post.  If you disagree so much, feel free to put me on ignore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : I agree with you 100%, the Chara and Lucic comment was stupid, 2 guys not on the ice at the time, were supposed to seek retribution on a guy who was immediately tossed??  How does that even work, ference jumped right in and backed off when Mcquaid wasnt moving, Shelley was tossed out, the bruins needed to capitalize on the power player.. So people are arguing the way to respond is to what? wait 5-10 minutes and go after a different philly player?? Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Thank you Roler for calling it for what really happened. Lets be clear that the Bruins backed off because McQuaid wasn't moving that is undisputable. So jump over the refs to attack Shelley ? Jump over a motionless McQuiad ? Go back and watch "Slap Shot" for the thousandth time already...

Shup, This takes the cake..."Its December and the Flyers continue to run over Bruins. A meaningless game" ? Ummm hmmm the Bruins have outscored the Flyers 4-2, plus have split the 2 games they've played, one of those games was on Philadelphia ice where the Bruins shut them out and the Bruins are now 2 points behind the Canadiens with 2 games in hand.

How exactly are the Flyers running over the Bruins this season ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]TIn Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid :Forgive me for not putting a w Forgive me for not putting much weight into your tough goalie(oxymoron)opinion.Goalies who fight look like the drunks at the bar  who put on the inflatable sumo suits and wrestle.So don't act like you know more than I about tough hockey because you slashed some people that made you mad.I.ve been in enough hockey games/fights to know the scariest thing in hockey is watching a teammate carried off on a stretcher and not knowing how bad it is.Whatever-I guess I don't understand the concept of tough hockey.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

One way to help prevent this is to minimize the cheap shots on your teammates.  One way to do that is to kick the ever living tar out of people who do it.  Not good checks, like Carcillo on Lucic, but cheap shots, like Shelley on McQuaid.    Make the player think twice by putting the hurt on others who have tried to get away with it.  Yelling at the player clearly isn't doing the trick.  Ask McQuaid, Savard, Bergeron and the host of others.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : No need for you to worry about what I post.  If you disagree so much, feel free to put me on ignore.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Now if you wish to follow your own advise and do the same then maybe others will ascend to your own status hockey sage.  I never ever ignore, but if you degrade maybe you should look kindly at the mirror for reflection.  

As for the fighting after McQuaid, SanDog is spot on.  After all NAS you said in a previous thread posting, it is only December.  These games don't really matter do they?  Or maybe they do?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My calls for retribution aren't for respect.  They are to prevent this sort of thing from continuing to happen.  I can't understand why some of you don't get it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Then you believe retribution or punishment is degrading?  Respect other posters please or ignore as you say.

As for hockey retribution, the time to seek the redemption is in the game with scoring.  The Bs did not but they did have a good showing.  The NHL will hand out the verdict, the rule change has made Campbell a non-factor. I think the verdict will be severe, if not I will stand in correction.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Then you believe retribution or punishment is degrading?  Respect other posters please or ignore as you say.
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Putting words in other's mouths is a poor tactic. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345239

There will be a hearing so we'll see if Colin will actually do something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Isn't that McQuaid on the bottom not moving ? Who cares , retribution is what it's all about and it will stop the cheap shots. Ridiculous ! Count me in as one of the ones who don't get it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBjtG5YeNg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

The Bruins should be starting fights etc when other teams cross the line like they have with the Mcquaid, Bergeron, Savard situations, etc.  This time, however, was different in that McQuaid's situation required care, so as not to aggravate his injury.  This trumped the need to grab Shelley and kick his butt, and his ejection erased the opportunity altogether.  In this instance, they were right not to respond in anger.

Now the Bruins should have started standing up for themselves (in a fashion that deters these behaviors in the future) a long time ago, which I think is why a few people here are so angry about it.  If they had given up the two points a couple times in the past to send a message - that you can't treat our players like that without stiff consequences - then we might not be in this situation.  The other thing is that it feels like they may never stand up for themselves.  Better late than never, but Its been too long since the last time they sent a message.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Looks like the NHL didn't like the hit either..not surprised..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345239

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : Putting words in other's mouths is a poor tactic. 

Not doing that but you should be reading the thread.  Pretty obvious that you intent is not entirely objective.... look within the thread.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with NAS on this one. The Bruins don't stick up for each other and aren't tough enough to compete with Philly. Its NOT about one game or point, its about the whole season and playoffs. I certainly wouldn't want to go to work with the B's knowing nobody has my back. That one point becomes irrelevant if they get on a roll.  Have you all been living in a hole? Crosby fights when Pitt was playing poorly and they have since gone something like 14 -2.  Bruins aren't tough to play against anymore, again!
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]
    Boston takes 3 out of 4 possible points from Philly and you say they can't compete with them.How do you define compete?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shelley on McQuaid : Dez, you don't get it either.  Someone should have been out of control mad.  Haven't you ever been so mad you said or did something?  Punched a wall?  Threw a glass?  Punched a person?  Someone should have been so furious that they lost control and smashed Jody Shelley's ugly face.  Not the cuddly Bruins of '06-10.  This is where Shawn Thornton falls short.  He is way too in control of his emotions.  The B's need an animal.  If someone did that to Don Sweeney, LB would have went bananas.  If someone did that to Reed Larsen, Jay Miller would have went bananas. This stuff keeps happening to the team now, and the worst case of instant retribution is a raised voice. It's embarrassing.
    This is from the same guy that doesn't want McGratton in the lineup.You can't have it both ways.I loved Jay Miller but he was a terrible player who managed to beat Kordic once.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Forgive me for not putting much weight into your tough goalie(oxymoron)opinion.Goalies who fight look like the drunks at the bar  who put on the inflatable sumo suits and wrestle.So don't act like you know more than I about tough hockey because you slashed some people that made you mad.I.ve been in enough hockey games/fights to know the scariest thing in hockey is watching a teammate carried off on a stretcher and not knowing how bad it is.Whatever-I guess I don't understand the concept of tough hockey.

Not sure why you attacked me, but you must be very light because you don't seem to put much weight into anything anyone says..... Unless they agree with you.
    And I can act like I know more because I do know more because if you were a hockey player who fought & got into it like you say? You would understand the concept a lot better! You don't think I've been around teammates taken away on a stretcher? That just made me more angry. The whole point of this forum is. The team doesn't reflect the name. A Bruin is a bear. A Bruin has claws, a snarl & heck of a bite! This team???? Should be called the Possum's because when there's trouble THEY PLAY DEAD!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Forgive me for not putting much weight into your tough goalie(oxymoron)opinion.Goalies who fight look like the drunks at the bar  who put on the inflatable sumo suits and wrestle. So don't act like you know more than I about tough hockey because you slashed some people that made you mad .I.ve been in enough hockey games/fights to know the scariest thing in hockey is watching a teammate carried off on a stretcher and not knowing how bad it is.Whatever-I guess I don't understand the concept of tough hockey. Not sure why you attacked me, but you must be very light because you don't seem to put much weight into anything anyone says..... Unless they agree with you. And I can act like I know more because I do know more because if you were a hockey player who fought & got into it like you say? You would understand the concept a lot better! You don't think I've been around teammates taken away on a stretcher? That just made me more angry. The whole point of this forum is. The team doesn't reflect the name. A Bruin is a bear. A Bruin has claws, a snarl & heck of a bite! This team???? Should be called the Possum's because when there's trouble THEY PLAY DEAD!  
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    For such a rugged fellow you sure get youe feelings hurt easily.Not sure why I"attacked"you?Well maybe I can think of a proper response while I watch the rest of Ice Capades.If people are so  sick of the team why continue supporting them?This self-loathing amongst Bruins fans is getting ridiculous.On a final note,why would I put much weight in an opinion I don't agree with?That makes no sense to me.I understand we're all big fans that get emotional  sometimes and I apologize if I've gone too far.I know you're a knowledgable poster with lots of interesting opinions.There's no way we'd agree on everything so I doubt this will be our last disagreement.Cheers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think there are some very different interpretations here on how you get respect from other teams and stick up for your teammates. 

I have a hard time understanding how having Ference wail away on Shelley while they are on top of McQuaid accomplishes much of anything.  Not to mention that a 4 vs. 5 brawl where nobody can match up with Shelley sends any kind of a message, except that the Bruins don't care about having a 5 minute powerplay in a tied game, against a divisional rival.  Further I do beleive that the Bruins on the ice were concerned first and foremost with the wellbeing of McQuaid, as they should be.

Now, in terms of being tough and preventing teams from taking liberties, I would also like to see the Bruins do more, especially against the Flyers.  Consistent team toughness is the way to do it, instead of one instance where players have a snap reaction, throw the game away and act like enraged gorillas.

The Bruins need to play meaner and more physically consistently, and they have to go out of the way to hit and confront Richards, Hartnell, and Carcillo who are consistently taking liberties.  From my years of playing hockey I can say that I would not be the least bit impressed by an overreaction of line brawls after a boarding incident like some of you are calling for.  That doesn't change the way opposing players hit people or send a message.  What gets respect is consistent toughness through the roster, where you know you'll pay the price for everything as an opposing player.  Hartnell hits and snows Thomas every chance he gets.  The only way to stop it is to have 8 or 10 guys on the roster that will hit or confront him every time he does it.

Blowing a gasket after the Shelley hit doesn't earn respect.  Playing consistently meaner and tougher than the Flyers (up and down the roster) does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think there are some very different interpretations here on how you get respect from other teams and stick up for your teammates.  I have a hard time understanding how having Ference wail away on Shelley while they are on top of McQuaid accomplishes much of anything.  Not to mention that a 4 vs. 5 brawl where nobody can match up with Shelley sends any kind of a message, except that the Bruins don't care about having a 5 minute powerplay in a tied game, against a divisional rival.  Further I do beleive that the Bruins on the ice were concerned first and foremost with the wellbeing of McQuaid, as they should be. Now, in terms of being tough and preventing teams from taking liberties, I would also like to see the Bruins do more, especially against the Flyers.  Consistent team toughness is the way to do it, instead of one instance where players have a snap reaction, throw the game away and act like enraged gorillas. The Bruins need to play meaner and more physically consistently, and they have to go out of the way to hit and confront Richards, Hartnell, and Carcillo who are consistently taking liberties.  From my years of playing hockey I can say that I would not be the least bit impressed by an overreaction of line brawls after a boarding incident like some of you are calling for.  That doesn't change the way opposing players hit people or send a message.  What gets respect is consistent toughness through the roster, where you know you'll pay the price for everything as an opposing player.  Hartnell hits and snows Thomas every chance he gets.  The only way to stop it is to have 8 or 10 guys on the roster that will hit or confront him every time he does it. Blowing a gasket after the Shelley hit doesn't earn respect.  Playing consistently meaner and tougher than the Flyers (up and down the roster) does.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Well said Fletch.All good points.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I would have loved to have read that a Bruin or some Bruins went after Shelley immediately afterwards.  I understand their first concern is McQuaid and rightfully so but I'd imagine if another Bruin was laying prone after that same hit and McQuaid was on the ice at the same time, its a safe bet he would have been trying to even the score with Shelley.  

I'm disappointed but somehow not surprised no one wanted a pound of flesh.  I wonder if that old adage of a team taking on the personality of their coach might be cause for some consideration here.  I can't recall the last time I saw Julien get hot under the collar like a Brian Sutter, Pat Burns or Mike Keenan used to regardless of what is happening on the ice.  He keeps his collars buttoned down big time.  (He could be a volcano behind closed doors for all we know.)

I saw an excellent segment on RogersSportsNet a couple of weeks ago.  It was about the role of the enforcer and intimidation.  Panel had Nick Kypreos, Georges Laroques and was hosted by absolute doofus Darren Millard.  Kypreos and Laroques played in different eras but both said the way to seek payback was not always against the player directly responsible for the foul. 

Laroques said if someone took liberties with one of his Oiler mates, it often didn't matter to him who he hit but if he or his team mates had a shot at the opposition's stars, they'd do it.  Should McQuaid not have been able to get up, I, for one, would have loved to have seen this take place once play got underway. 

The Panther's David Booth made a point of squaring off against Philly's Jeff Carter (might've be Mike Richards), in the first game between both teams after Carter's elbow concussed Booth.  This, I like.  I mean, its one thing if the Bruins had an effective PP that could have buried the Flyers on the following major to help make the Shelley move really damaging but it didn't happen. 

I'm not partial to the possibility of the Bruins being known throughout the league as a team that does respond when one of their own is possibly injured by an act outside the rules of the game.  Team discipline is one thing but the resulting future consequences may be another.  I'd rather the club carry the rep of the distinct possibilty of retribution rather than one of non-response for the sake of protecting the players. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I would have loved to have read that a Bruin or some Bruins went after Shelley immediately afterwards.  I understand their first concern is McQuaid and rightfully so but I'd imagine if another Bruin was laying prone after that same hit and McQuaid was on the ice at the same time, its a safe bet he would have been trying to even the score with Shelley.   I'm disappointed but somehow not surprised no one wanted a pound of flesh.  I wonder if that old adage of a team taking on the personality of their coach might be cause for some consideration here.  I can't recall the last time I saw Julien get hot under the collar like a Brian Sutter, Pat Burns or Mike Keenan used to regardless of what is happening on the ice.  He keeps his collars buttoned down big time.  (He could be a volcano behind closed doors for all we know.) I saw an excellent segment on RogersSportsNet a couple of weeks ago.  It was about the role of the enforcer and intimidation.  Panel had Nick Kypreos, Georges Laroques and was hosted by absolute doofus Darren Millard.  Kypreos and Laroques played in different eras but both said the way to seek payback was not always against the player directly responsible for the foul.  Laroques said if someone took liberties with one of his Oiler mates, it often didn't matter to him who he hit but if he or his team mates had a shot at the opposition's stars, they'd do it.  Should McQuaid not have been able to get up, I, for one, would have loved to have seen this take place once play got underway.  The Panther's David Booth made a point of squaring off against Philly's Jeff Carter (might've be Mike Richards), in the first game between both teams after Carter's elbow concussed Booth.  This, I like.  I mean, its one thing if the Bruins had an effective PP that could have buried the Flyers on the following major to help make the Shelley move really damaging but it didn't happen.  I'm not partial to the possibility of the Bruins being known throughout the league as a team that does respond when one of their own is possibly injured by an act outside the rules of the game.  Team discipline is one thing but the resulting future consequences may be another.  I'd rather the club carry the rep of the distinct possibilty of retribution rather than one of non-response for the sake of protecting the players. 
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    It was Richards who elbowed him and Richards he fought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Just saw the hit on YouTube...didnt notice it was on a icing ...this is one of the dirtiest check I<ve ver seen ...he could have neded McQauid<s career ...what a stupid sob

Stanley cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BRUINS worst enemy : Shelly

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm kind of getting fedup of hearing this from posters and then I started thinking.
    I do want the Bruins to stick up for each other a little more. 
    See,  they had a 5min PP and did squat ,  so why not even it out next time with someone on the ice getting 5min + 2extra  jumping one of them. I'm sure another player from Philly would've joined and it would've evened out. 
    I can't help but bring up that game in Dallas 2 years back ,  things changed after that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I don't feel it had to be Shelley per say. Just somebody, anyone. Once Adam was off the ice. Never mind the 5 min pp. Put Lucic, Thornton, Chara, Boychuk & Campbell out for the next shift. CJ has last change, so he can do that. Puck drops & someone finds someone.
    BTW- Dez. I wasnt referring to anyone specifically when I said go watch the ice capades. It was for anyone who doesn't like the vilolence. I agree it's ok for us to disagree. No harm done. "hand shake"