Shocker: Claude Noel Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Shocker: Claude Noel Fired

@DarrenDreger

TSN has learned Claude Noel has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets. Assistant, Perry Pearn also let go. #TSN

No way!

"Update: The Jets have confirmed Noel and Pearn’s firing. They also announced that Paul Maurice will serve as the team’s new bench boss. He’ll bring with him a wealth of experience after coaching in 1,084 NHL games."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Shocker: Claude Noel Fired

We all knew something was going to happen and it seems Chevadayoff didn't want to be under the gun in making a hasty trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As part of Maurices hiring are they going to change the Jets name to the Winnipeg Carolina's?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] As part of Maurices hiring are they going to change the Jets name to the Winnipeg Carolina's ? [/QUOTE]

I'm sure Paul would love to change out the weather patterns as well. I'll bet the Jets start playing better but nothing is going to change their goaltending.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Not schocking to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] As part of Maurices hiring are they going to change the Jets name to the Winnipeg Carolina's ? [/QUOTE]

I'm sure Paul would love to change out the weather patterns as well. I'll bet the Jets start playing better but nothing is going to change their goaltending.

[/QUOTE]

This will be the next order of business for sure, whether it happens at the trade deadline or in the summer, the Jets need a better goaltender.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You guys love to harass the glory of the Florida Panthers, but this Jets franchise is the one in trouble.  Now that they honeymoon is over, the Winnipegians are showing their true colors.  No win = no care.  There are only 15,000 seats in that bandbox.  Earlier this year, they failed to sell out against Calgary.  In December, they were offering tickets half price at the box office. 

What a joke.

They never should have moved a team back there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Our BDC resident president of the Jets booster club (the Boosetr Jets as they are called) should have some insight on this.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Hotbed or Notbed - ya gotta win.

The plastic rats will return to Florida one day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys love to harass the glory of the Florida Panthers, but this Jets franchise is the one in trouble.  Now that they honeymoon is over, the Winnipegians are showing their true colors.  No win = no care.  There are only 15,000 seats in that bandbox.  Earlier this year, they failed to sell out against Calgary.  In December, they were offering tickets half price at the box office. 

What a joke.

[/QUOTE]

You and Billy Lindsay run the Panther Alumni association?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

On HNIC last night Don Cherry showed a clip of Noel on the bench during a stoppage in play, giving instructions to team. Dustin Byfuglien, seated immediately beside Noel, looked massively disinterested, staring blankly ahead at the ice and bored. Maybe his display was an indicator of how some of the rest of the players were feeling, just not so openly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] Our BDC resident president of the Jets booster club (the Boosetr Jets as they are called) should have some insight on this.  [/QUOTE]

Yah it sucks for her and the loyalty, along with the other diehards that are fed up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] Our BDC resident president of the Jets booster club (the Boosetr Jets as they are called) should have some insight on this.  [/QUOTE]

Yah it sucks for her and the loyalty, along with the other diehards that are fed up.

[/QUOTE]

Over the last few weeks she's mentioned the chance of him getting the boot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS, fans in the Peg are ticked at the underperformance of this team, but they are still averaging over 100 per cent attendance this season, even with a couple of games that weren't sell outs. Not exactly what I would call in trouble. That said Jets fans are getting fed up, not with the losses as much as the lack of effort. They're smart fans and understand you can't turn it around over night, but it's obvious some of the players (like Buff) aren't even trying.

As such it's no surprise that Noel is gone, but it's tough to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Hopefully Mauice can light a fire under the players, but I'm at the point where if he can't get them working then it's time fo a fire sale. If they won't put in the effort under Maurice then I say blow it up. Move the worst performers (Kane, Enstrom, Buff, Jokinen) and offload any unsigned assets at the dealine (Setoguchi, Throburn, Stuart) and start over again. Jets fans would understand a rebuild, but they won't accept the complete mediocrity and lack of even seriously attempting a significant upgrade in the lineup. I wish Maurice luck (he's going to need it) and I suspect that come the offseason, if there haven't been major chnges between no and the trade deadline, Chevy will follow Noel out the door.

Hope Noel takes over Maurice's spot on TSN.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

What a joke.

[/QUOTE]

Bruce Willis isn't die hard enough to brave "What the Starks have been warning us about" in Winnipeg to see the Jets play the Flames, and pay for it.  Peggers might go ice fishing in that weather and take one of those old electromatic football games, paint the field like a rink, use only five players and a goalie per side, use a dutch licorice lozenge as a puck and watch that while waiting for a nibble before they'd go see the Flames and Jets.  The game would have about as much structure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As such it's no surprise that Noel is gone, but it's tough to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Hopefully Mauice can light a fire under the players, but I'm at the point where if he can't get them working then it's time fo a fire sale. If they won't put in the effort under Maurice then I say blow it up. Move the worst performers (Kane, Enstrom, Buff, Jokinen) and offload any unsigned assets at the dealine (Setoguchi, Throburn, Stuart) and start over again. Jets fans would understand a rebuild, but they won't accept the complete mediocrity and lack of even seriously attempting a significant upgrade in the lineup. I wish Maurice luck (he's going to need it) and I suspect that come the offseason, if there haven't been major chnges between no and the trade deadline, Chevy will follow Noel out the door.

[/QUOTE]

Not a lot has gone right for Cheveldayoff.  Getting Buffetline seemed like a good move, but he might be the player most responsible for Noel's departure with his -17 rating.  Getting Setoguchi seemed like a smart move for a gritty depth scorer, but he hasn't had much impact.  Guys he has locked up are underperforming, and some of the guys drafted by the Thrashers have failed to pan out and hamstrung the organization - compared to their guys like Schiefele and Trouba and Petan.  Burmistrov's not even in NA anymore, and some nights, I wonder if Bogosian is.

I can see Cheveldayoff getting a bit of slack for the way things have worked out - things that seemed like good decisions to most everyone at the time, inherited problems - but it is time for him to do some triage and start by cutting out the tumour that is Jokinen.  Couldn't believe they brought him back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

NAS, fans in the Peg are ticked at the underperformance of this team, but they are still averaging over 100 per cent attendance this season, even with a couple of games that weren't sell outs. Not exactly what I would call in trouble. That said Jets fans are getting fed up, not with the losses as much as the lack of effort. They're smart fans and understand you can't turn it around over night, but it's obvious some of the players (like Buff) aren't even trying.

Hope Noel takes over Maurice's spot on TSN.

[/QUOTE]

Red, looking from the outside in , if the GM does not make it a priority of getting rid of Buf, then this team cannot start to right the ship any time soon.  I think this guy has been a bad influence on the youngsters like Kane and others...I just don't think he sets example on how to be a professional for others to follow....management has enabled this guy for a long time it seems to me... ie offseason lack of training , showing up like he didn't miss too many buffet lines in off season .... 

GM certainly has to take the blame here for dolling out big cash for his #1 goalie and that is blowing up in his face... Need to ride Montoya for a long while and look to upgrade in offseason.. I would go get Hillier... Anaheim can't afford him, I can see them letting him go as FA, they won't trade him at deadline.....plus they are goalie rich.....

Jets have some nice pieces, they just need to add by subtracting first.....I don't think a complete overhaul is needed here.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how they can be over 100% with tickets available at the end of the first period.  Must be some GW fuzzy math going on there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nothing fuzzy about it at all. As part of the season-ticket holder agreement if a season ticket isn't used by the end of the first period it goes up for resale. There's usually a queue at most games for fans trying to get tickets for the last 2 periods if a season ticket holder doesn't show. They're selling the same ticket twice.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

Not the move I liked to see.

But something had to be done.

Two many players didn't play for Noel anymore.

Knew it was coming but kind off

thought it would be end of season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

2 teams that canadians acroos the country that left the NHL were the Jets and nordiques. The Jets being the biggest loss because non canadian nhl team fans such as I always picked a canadian team for there 2nd team to be a fan of, mine being the Jets because i hate the habs, the leafs then became my 2nd until Todd Gill left leaving me with the flames only because i had a gf from calgary at the time. Losing the nordiques took away that quebec rivalry that i always loved to watch between them and the habs. The jets and there fans inherited a mess and it takes time to to build a team and Noel getting the boot is a short term fix because if they dont perform for maurice, then as Rd mentioned, there will be a fire sale and at least the Fans can get to see the rebuild.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Nothing fuzzy about it at all. As part of the season-ticket holder agreement if a season ticket isn't used by the end of the first period it goes up for resale. There's usually a queue at most games for fans trying to get tickets for the last 2 periods if a season ticket holder doesn't show. They're selling the same ticket twice.

[/QUOTE]

You're talking about the exchange.  Apparently, in past years, these tickets were gobbled up by those on the waiting list before gen pop got a crack at them.  These days, gen pop has the opportunity.  Not damning, but a crack for sure.

I wasn't talking about the exchange.  I was talking about the box office.

F-U-Z-Z-Y

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dumb conversation, look at the figures. Money counts.  

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Yawn, looking at the stats reaffirms my understanding that if you win they will attend. Atlanta was a sukk hole.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how they can be over 100% with tickets available at the end of the first period.  Must be some GW fuzzy math going on there.

[/QUOTE]

There PR guy must have went to the Larry Lucchino school of ticket counting.