Shortened season would you take Dustin Penner ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Shortened season would you take Dustin Penner ?

Forget what he did in the playoffs

Forget that he's been one of the most inconsistent , overpaid , overrated player when he signed with the Oilers  .

Forget all this that I've been saying about him for years.

Forget that your pancakes are not safe with him around .

If the price is right , in a short season , a prorated contract of 3.25m and for just this season (key) , next season becoming a UFA therefore fighting for an important new contract.  I say why not !!!

It can't hurt,  right  ? What is LA looking for ?

Speaking of hurting, he's only paid 3 games this season, is he injured ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Shortened season would you take Dustin Penner ?

The only thing is BS, you have to take all those things you want to forget into consideration..I say pass, even if he comes for nothing in return. Lots of talent, really big guy, but I'll take a player like Brendan Morrow over him all day..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The only thing is BS, you have to take all those things you want to forget into consideration..I say pass, even if he comes for nothing in return. Lots of talent, really big guy, but I'll take a player like Brendan Morrow over him all day..

I like Brendan Morrow also, maybe more than Penner for 1year . Morrow has leadership qualities but Penner has more talent.  Just we never know when he'll bring it.

It's just for 1 year ?  less than half a real season ? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I say yes.  Hes proven to elivate his game come playoff time and had 2 rings where he was a big part.  Hes a big body that knows how to control the puck and score big goals.  Hes played on top lines and him jumping up with richards carter really helped the kings.  

If he can be picked up for little.  Yes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Morrow contract higher.  Morrow i love and dez mentioned him the other day.  Im all for morrow.  But penner is a pretty nice option for a playoff run. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Morrow contract higher.  Morrow i love and dez mentioned him the other day.  Im all for morrow.  But penner is a pretty nice option for a playoff run. 

that's just it, he comes cheaper and I think LA will let him go for less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

that's just it, he comes cheaper and I think LA will let him go for less.

And the pancake is never injured.  The guy knows how to play in the playoffs. He even throws his big boot y around. I think hed be a nice pickup.  Especially for the 3rd line and pp.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

It would take a lot to pry the captain outta dallas.  Like a lot.  Where penner would cost 12 pizzas and a bag of pucks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think you get much out of Penner on a 3rd line..if you gamble on him you'd almost have to play him with more offensive minded players and hope he shows up..With Morrow, you know what your getting, he'd be a perfect fit for the 3rd line..not sure it would take alot to get him out of Dallas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't think you get much out of Penner on a 3rd line..if you gamble on him you'd almost have to play him with more offensive minded players and hope he shows up..With Morrow, you know what your getting, he'd be a perfect fit for the 3rd line..not sure it would take alot to get him out of Dallas.

Peverly and kelly get a big body. i think peverly and kelly are creative and create space with speed. Big body wins everything down low.  If i could choose im taking morrow everyday of the week and twice on sundays.  I agree morrow would be perfect.  But he also costs you a prospect and a player.  I think he would cost too much.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

It would take a lot to pry the captain outta dallas.  Like a lot.  Where penner would cost 12 pizzas and a bag of pucks. 

12? I would draw the line at 10!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why not Richards and Carter also?

To Boston:  Penner, Richards, Carter

To LA:  MacDermid, Knight, 4th round pick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Is there any indication at all that Dallas is looking to trade their captain?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

There's no indication that anyone cares what you think about trade speculation but it doesn't seem to stop you from yammering on about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Why not Richards and Carter also?

To Boston:  Penner, Richards, Carter

To LA:  MacDermid, Knight, 4th round pick

Caution " Sharp edges "

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

There's no indication that anyone cares what you think about trade speculation but it doesn't seem to stop you from yammering on about it.

Buy your buddy/scout a nice steak dinner and maybe convince how good Torey Krug is . wink wink.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Buy your buddy/scout a nice steak dinner and maybe convince how good Torey Krug is . wink wink.

He and I agreed tonight that Boyes is one of the league's best bargains if he continues playing as well as he has been. It's crazy that he's only 29 and already with his 5th NHL team. He's scored 43 goals in a season and he rarely misses games. He only makes 1 million per. That's a good deal in today's game. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

4 goals and 8 assists in his last 7 games...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

He and I agreed tonight that Boyes is one of the league's best bargains if he continues playing as well as he has been. It's crazy that he's only 29 and already with his 5th NHL team. He's scored 43 goals in a season and he rarely misses games. He only makes 1 million per. That's a good deal in today's game. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Boston.

No matter how many hear find it amusing to talk trades or even possibilty of movement you cannot deny PC's intention when he moved TT's contract therefore why not speculate !  Some thinK bringing up trade discussions is we want player A+ for a player(s) C- .   
    I also think come trade deadline (being the latest) Boyes will be on the move again , I don't see the Islanders keeping him around , that is if they continue their trend .

San, Krug has been lighting up , just took his name out of a hat to joke with Dez. Although in a trade valued players are what the other teams are looking at.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No matter how many hear find it amusing to talk trades or even possibilty of movement you cannot deny PC's intention when he moved TT's contract therefore why not speculate !  Some thinK bringing up trade discussions is we want player A+ for a player(s) C- .   
    I also think come trade deadline (being the latest) Boyes will be on the move again , I don't see the Islanders keeping him around , that is if they continue their trend .

San, Krug has been lighting up , just took his name out of a hat to joke with Dez. Although in a trade valued payers are what the other teams are looking at.

Perhaps he moved TT to free up some cash for Jay Pandolfo.......:)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

It is funny - for their entire careers some guys are good, steady players and are always considered a valuable commodity in trade talks. By both sides of the deal.

They are dealt - not because one team considers him losing his touch but because they need to include him in the deal to better their team overall. Cost is a factor later in their career of course but they're always dangled in trade conversations...Boyes(will be 31 on April 17) is that type of player, averaging almost 18 goals/yr(0.67PPG) over 9+ years to date.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468504

Corey Stillman was another player like that, averaging 15 goals/yr(0.71PPG) over 18 years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458943

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I liked him when he was here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you take away the two anomalous seasons Boyes had in St. Loo - one where he scored 43 against only 22 assists (a strange distribution for him if you look at the rest of his career) and 33 (in a year where he was -20 --the worst on the team by at least a few goals), I wonder if anyone is still talking much about him.  He's been all over the map since he left Boston, but the one thing he hasn't been - and his salary reflects this - is a reliable scorer on a competitive team.  He has 3 career playoff goals and 4 total points in 11 games.  His teams have made the playoffs twice - and yes, one was the year he led the Blues in scoring but was also -20.  But they were swiftly swept, so I'm going to say that's not a sign of a competitive team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Penner's slightly different in that he has had playoff success, but never as a key cog going in.  Always buffered by the efforts of others.

Here's my thinking - Bruins have one regulaton loss with the Bourque.  If that line finds its chemistry, I don't know that the Bruins go undefeated, but it makes a marginal improvement in the overall record at best.  Improving it is a case of backstopping a slump in the top six, but it's also a question of improving its defensive presence, not its offensive contributions. 

Kelly was +33 last year.  Peverley was +20 but only played 57 games.  Even Pouliot was +18.  This year the bottom six forwards are a combined -17.  The top six are a combined +30.  The team has allowed 21 goals all year, scored 27. Only 17 goals against count vs. +/- and 24 of the goals for count.  That means there are 72 available "plusses" and 51 available "minuses" for the forwards (in theory, of course - assumes 3 forwards on for every goal).  The top six have accounted for almost half of the plusses.  The bottom six, on the other hand, havescored 5 of the 24 non-PP goals, so in theory, that's +15 for them.  Which means they've been on for enough goals against to get them -32 (+15 to -17): probably 11 (times 3 forwards)?  11 of 17 against hung against your energy guys and your "checking" line. 

Penner doesn't help with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I feel like the bottom 6 needs to concentrate on defense more first then if that's the case BB. All the numbers are losing me a bit but it sounds like the bottom 6 allows disproportinately more goals than usual this year.