should there be OUTRAGE over the BLACKHAWKS name as there is with the REDSKINS one?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: should there be OUTRAGE over the BLACKHAWKS name as there is with the REDSKINS one?

No.  People like you won't be happy until every name, place and person is regulated.  I like my freedom.  Beat it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Re: should there be OUTRAGE over the BLACKHAWKS name as there is with the REDSKINS one?

The part that you conveniently left out was that the original owner of the team was Frederic McLaughlin and he had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infintry Division. His Division's nickname was the "Blackhawk Division" in honor of a Native American named Blackhawk. Blackhawk was a member of the Sauk Nation and figured prominently in history of what would become the state of Illinois. 

The team was named in honor of a Division of which McLaughlin was a commander and the Division was nicknamed in honor of a well respected figure. Blackhawk was someone's name not a slur. The term Redskin is a slur. Now if you want to be outraged over that then I have no issue but you'd be better served taking that argument to the football boards. While you are there I'd suggest mentioning how the Fighting Irish should change their name as it is offensive to some of Irish descent.

A university with a French name calling themselves the "Fighting Irish" always seemed weird to me and don't even get me started about how Notre Dame is located in "South Bend". South Bend is actually located in the northwestern portion of Indiana. Weird!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Our society has become way overly sensitive, especially to sport team names tha, rather than be offensive, recognize and honor native americans who founded this country.

I ask you this, if some city in America was establishing a franchise and wanted to name the team after you, would you be offended or honored by it? Here come the X-town Rowdy Rod Rusts!

The Redskins, Blackhawks, Seminoles, Fighting Irish, etc have been here long before us and should remain long after us, unless somebody who has too much time on their hands or wants to try to make a name for themselves steps forward in the name of a cause...of course not sponsored by the group they are looking to represent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Maybe I need to clarify. I have no problem with Native American named teams. In fact, I embrace it. One of my favorite college hockey programs to follow is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux who had to drop the name after pressure from the NCAA. (Despite the fact that the University named it's teams to honor the Sioux Nation and were always respectful with their choice of logos et al). UND even had the Sioux Nation's blessing until one faction stepped up to side with the NCAA.

The term Redskins is a slur so I can see someone being offended by that but to take issue over the Blackhawks is in my opinion being too sensitive.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Atlanta Braves?

Not a slur, but that gawd awful chant ("Tomahawk Chop") they do goes a little too far for me...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if you are not a native american, you don't get to decide what is offensive, and what isn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I know that I shouldnt post this, because people are going to reply, "if you dont like the thread , just skip over it"....And the people who would reply in that manner have a point....

But I cant resist....

ZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I apologize , but it had to be said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree with everything Rowdy said about the Blackhawks and UND. I'll call them the Fighting Sioux until the day I die. Still irks me that one team called the UND Fighting (Insert Race Here) is ok while the other UND Fighting (Insert Race Here) isn't. Makes no sense to me.

As for Washington... well I grew up next to a Cree nation and have lived all across Western Canada so I know hundreds of natives, and I know full well that if I called any one of them a Redskin (unless it was someone I knew very well and it was in a jestful context) they'd kick the crap out of me. I have no idea how Native Americans view the term, which is what matters in this case, but Native Canadians consider it a major slur.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

No.  People like you won't be happy until every name, place and person is regulated.  I like my freedom.  Beat it. 

Hang, did you know that the province of Quebec regulates what parents name their babies? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

Hang, did you know that the province of Quebec regulates what parents name their babies? 

Didn't they bring in that law because some sack of excrement tried to legally name his child $**thead?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Checked it wasn't$**thead, it was Salaud, which in Quebec means Basterd and is pretty common in profane phrases. Don't really agree with the law, but I don't mind stopping idiotic parents from screwing with their kids for the rest of their lives on day one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I did not know that dez and red.  Personally, I draw the line at Seven, or Soda. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3758706. Show user_3758706's posts

Is the term Red Skin a slur?  I thought the history behind the term came from the French who first settled in Canada (Quebec and Ontario).  The French used the term to describe the Algonquin’s who painted their faces w/ bright red ocher and bloodroot, making their face red w/ war paint.  Warning… gonna go Reader Digest on y’all….

In Readers Digest book titled "Americas Fascinating Indian Heritage" Red Skin is described as the following...

"Inspired not by their natural complexion but by their fondness for vermilion makeup, concocted from fat mixed with berry juice and minerals that provided the desired color. The men would streak their faces and bodies with bright red ocher and bloodroot."

So is Red Skin a slur or a term used by the settlers to describe the Native Americans who they had come into contact w/ while exploring new world (being simple here).  It would be no different than us guys sitting at a bar and saying, you see that blond.  Is that a slur?  I hope not…..

Very interesting conversation to say the least.  I often read these boards but do not comment, haven’t since the changed the format some time ago.  This conversation prompted me to post something.  I for one don’t believe any of the Native American named teams should change their names.  I liked Rowdy’s previous comment when he sarcastically posted and I’m paraphrasing, Fighting Irish should change their name since it could be insulting to Irish decent.  No way, as an Irishman I love that mascot… makes me proud. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3758706. Show user_3758706's posts

BTW, Go BRUINS!!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Checked it wasn't$**thead, it was Salaud, which in Quebec means Basterd and is pretty common in profane phrases. Don't really agree with the law, but I don't mind stopping idiotic parents from screwing with their kids for the rest of their lives on day one.

Red, I agree with you completely. On the one hand I'm against government interference but on the other hand, there sure are a lot of simpletons out there. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with everything Rowdy said about the Blackhawks and UND. I'll call them the Fighting Sioux until the day I die. Still irks me that one team called the UND Fighting (Insert Race Here) is ok while the other UND Fighting (Insert Race Here) isn't. Makes no sense to me.

As for Washington... well I grew up next to a Cree nation and have lived all across Western Canada so I know hundreds of natives, and I know full well that if I called any one of them a Redskin (unless it was someone I knew very well and it was in a jestful context) they'd kick the crap out of me. I have no idea how Native Americans view the term, which is what matters in this case, but Native Canadians consider it a major slur.

Miami-Ohio changed from Redskins to Redhawks about 15 years ago, largely because the Miami tribes stated that they found it offensive.  Fair enough.

UND fans annoy me because they won't sing the national anthem properly and change the words for their mascot.  Weak sauce.  

The only thing offensive about this topic though is the OP, and her persistence to get attention.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The only thing offensive about this topic though is the OP, and her persistence to get attention.

Yeah, it irks me that an interesting conversation actually branched out of one of Commie's posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

• First: 6/11/2013
    • Last: 6/14/2013

Oh my. 

As for Commie, this guy/girl is a dope.  Never posts anything but potential controversy, which usually isn't controversial at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

So since we no longer use the term Indians to discribe Native Americans should Cleveland be forced to change their logo to the Taj Mahal?

Common Since (which is no longer Common at all) has been replace with Political Correctness!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to ImagydFanBostononTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if u can, google or wiki the history of how that name originated. very interesting was thinking it was a certain bird or something of that ilk. they are actually named for an Indian chief named Black Hawk. very colored history, from Illinois but sided with the British in the revolutionary war and was Gitmoed (for that era) and re-settled multiple times. i have a feeling not many Native Americans are too crazy about the idea.

is it better to pick a specific individual that most who cheer a team could care absolutely less about or a generic name that some feel is equivalent to the n-word. i feel the Redskins name is totally inappropriate but think these things should be done on a case by case or community basis. Frankly, if i were to own a team, i would simply stay away from that stuff. chicago bears.. check. bruins? check! would just move the "black" part of hawks.. Chicago Hawks.. how does that hurt anything? just pondering....

What they would find offensive is your stating he was an"Indian" chief. His real name was

Makataimeshekiakiak.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

There should be more outrage that Commies 8 questions a day are getting worse.