SI's top ten power forwards of all time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: SI's top ten power forwards of all time

Right, but he wasn't that big.   Nolan wasn't either,  but he played big. 

[/QUOTE]

Rick Toccet- 6' 0" -214 lbs

Cam Neely 6' 1"- 218 lbs.

Yes, great call on Roberts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Good call on Roberts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to inflamedcolon's comment:

Don't get me wrong, I love Looch, but seriously, number 10 of all time???

Of course Neely is #1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130306/top-10-nhl-power-forwards/?sct=uk_t11_a6

how is Gordie Howe not #1?? not even mentioned????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Lucic has that "animal" side to him when he loses his mind.  A guy that big and powerful who can fight coming at you...fear.

Agree, i love watching how angry he looks when pounding someone lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I just want to confirm this.  There is no power forward in the league right now who is better then Lucic, with the possible exception of Jarome Iginla.

I feel that this is false.  For Starters I will throw the name Rick Nash into the ring.  Any thoughts.  I mean Lucic is in his prime, if he is not the best in the league currently then I don't see how he snuck into No. 10.

David Clarkson is in this league now too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I love Lucic and yeah, he is feared.  But way too early for him to be on this list.

With less than 100 career goals, Lucic can't be considered above career power forwards like John LeClair (406 goals), Bill Guerin (429 goals), or Tim Kerr (370 goals).  Plenty of 40 and 50 goal seasons spinkled in there too.

Perhaps the power forward needs to be defined more clearly.

Could smaller guys who played the power game be considered?  Like say, Dino Ciccarelli or Pat Verbeek.  I'm confused...

totally agree

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Shanahan needs to be in the top 3. I'd have him slotted #2 behind Neely. He came in and fought, then toned down on the fighting, but still did it from time to time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

I just want to confirm this.  There is no power forward in the league right now who is better then Lucic, with the possible exception of Jarome Iginla.

I feel that this is false.  For Starters I will throw the name Rick Nash into the ring.  Any thoughts.  I mean Lucic is in his prime, if he is not the best in the league currently then I don't see how he snuck into No. 10.

Right now Top 3 Power Forwards: Lucic, Hartnell, & Clarkson in no particular order.  

What about Kevin Dineen?  Not as Big as some of the others, but he was very tough.  Ended up with 760 pts. and 2229 PIMS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Of course Neely is #1.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130306/top-10-nhl-power-forwards/?sct=uk_t11_a6

Lindros wasnt around long enough (same for Lucic) imo

I thin it's fair. I think it's a little early, but there are so few now, he clearly stands out. I also think some fans here underappreciate how good he is. Does he have flaws like controlling the puck or missing looks that are there? Yep. But, not everyone can't have a perfect skill set.

He is clearly the closest thing to Neely I;ve seen, even if it's a coincidence each played here.  No one really wanted to fight Neely and no one really wants to fight Lucic either.  Neely was the more gifted player, but again, the power forward concept is such a lost art, and it is an art IMO, that he could very easily be a #10 on a list like this.

I didn't like Iginla above Clark on the list and I feel that Owen Nolan has to be on the list.  I always felt Shanahan was incredibly overrated and only produced when playing with loaded talent around him.   Not a fan regardless of production.  He whined his way out of Hartford like a little girl.

I'd also rather see guys like Howe and Messier on the list over someone like Rick Tocchet. Not sure Tocchet was a power forward more so than Messier.

It appears he left out Centers in the discussion, which is fine, though. Makes sense. Wingers are usually affiliated with it, but then the list included Lindros which, IMO, shouldn't be on the list at all.

Lindros, as big as he was, was in incredible wuss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Of course Neely is #1.

I thin it's fair. I think it's a little early, but there are so few now, he clearly stands out. I also think some fans here underappreciate how good he is. Does he have flaws like controlling the puck or missing looks that are there? Yep. But, not everyone can't have a perfect skill set.

He is clearly the closest thing to Neely I;ve seen, even if it's a coincidence each played here.  No one really wanted to fight Neely and no one really wants to fight Lucic either.  Neely was the more gifted player, but again, the power forward concept is such a lost art, and it is an art IMO, that he could very easily be a #10 on a list like this.

I didn't like Iginla above Clark on the list and I feel that Owen Nolan has to be on the list.  I always felt Shanahan was incredibly overrated and only produced when playing with loaded talent around him.   Not a fan regardless of production.  He whined his way out of Hartford like a little girl.

I'd also rather see guys like Howe and Messier on the list over someone like Rick Tocchet. Not sure Tocchet was a power forward more so than Messier.

It appears he left out Centers in the discussion, which is fine, though. Makes sense. Wingers are usually affiliated with it, but then the list included Lindros which, IMO, shouldn't be on the list at all.

Lindros, as big as he was, was in incredible wuss.

Shanahan did whine his way out of Hartford but in his defense he did play well while he was there, (i grew up a whaler fan)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Right now Top 3 Power Forwards: Lucic, Hartnell, & Clarkson in no particular order.  

What about Kevin Dineen?  Not as Big as some of the others, but he was very tough.  Ended up with 760 pts. and 2229 PIMS.

Loved Dineen's game, always a big game scorer for the whale and beat the crap out of Kluzak once too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Fletch if you read the article of how the writer defined power forward you'll understand why Lucic made the list. LeClair wasn't a power forward, because when did he ever use his size & strength to punish someone with a hit, take the puck & score? He, nor Rick Nash use their  "Power" the way it's defined as a power forward. Neither made this writers list for same reason Mark Messier, or Howe didn't! Which I think Messier was a PF early in his career. Then he got by with just "the look" which was the dumbest thing I ever heard!

Well, I certainly disagree that LeClair wasn't a power forward unless "power" is defined by fighting.  LeClair used his size on every shift.  He muscled his way in front and he scored.  A lot.  He didn't fight, but he was unquestionably a power forward in my book.

If being a power forward means fighting, then Pat Verbeek should be in there.  He fought everyone and he scored by driving to the net ferociously or banging in rebounds.  Every bit as much a power forward as Wendell Clark.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Well, I certainly disagree that LeClair wasn't a power forward unless "power" is defined by fighting.  LeClair used his size on every shift.  He muscled his way in front and he scored.  A lot.  He didn't fight, but he was unquestionably a power forward in my book.

If being a power forward means fighting, then Pat Verbeek should be in there.  He fought everyone and he scored by driving to the net ferociously or banging in rebounds.  Every bit as much a power forward as Wendell Clark.

So should Tim Kerr, then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Those guys are too small so they don't really qualify.  Not enough "power" so to speak. Loved Ciccarelli, hated Verbeek.  

Then why would Wendell Clark be on there?  

Verbeek and Clark were so similar, that you can't possible say one was a power forward and one wasn't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

So should Tim Kerr, then.

Agreed.  He was a power forward.  And had 50 goals seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I guess theyre saying th player had to drop the gloves to be considered a power forward..okay,so that means no Leclair,,,Kerr etc..All awesome players but for me the head of the non fighting power forward class has to be Forsberg. He was so physical i'd call him reckless. What a joy to watch. Also, especially earlier in hs career, you have to look at Ovechkin..All speed and power.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I guess theyre saying th player had to drop the gloves to be considered a power forward..okay,so that means no Leclair,Roberts,Verbeek,Kerr etc..All awesome players but for me the head of the non fighting power forward class has to be Forsberg. He was so physical i'd call him reckless. What a joy to watch. Also, especially earlier in hs career, you have to look at Ovechkin..All speed and power.

Verbeek fought all the time.  Almost 3000 PIMs.  He fought twice as much as Lucic does.

How about Guerin?  He fought plenty.  He was big.  Over 400 goals...

Lucic isn't ready for that list with less than 100 career goals and less than 600 career PIMs.  Some day, but not yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yes, Guerin should be considered. Could hang with the heavies in his prime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

I don't think goalies fear Lucic. Maybe Miller :P  But I think there were a few goalies who feared Neely. Neely is THE prototype for what an NHL power forward should be. Is anyone else surprised SI didn't totally blow this????

If I'm in net, I fear Lucic.  I wouldnt fear him coming down the ice on the breakaway nor would I fear his shooting touch.  But I'd fear him , when he's parked in front of me.

1) Huge body = good screen

2) Very hard to clear out of there

3) Has a nack for finding rebounds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

As I said LeClair didn't fit the bill of the writers definition of a PF. Fighting & hitting was part of the criteria which LeClair did NONE! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I guess theyre saying th player had to drop the gloves to be considered a power forward..okay,so that means no Leclair,Roberts,Verbeek,Kerr etc..All awesome players but for me the head of the non fighting power forward class has to be Forsberg. He was so physical i'd call him reckless. What a joy to watch. Also, especially earlier in hs career, you have to look at Ovechkin..All speed and power.

Verbeek fought all the time.  Almost 3000 PIMs.  He fought twice as much as Lucic does.

Lucic isn't ready for that list with less than 100 career goals and less than 600 career PIMs.  Some day, but not yet.

I agree if Clark made the list, then these 2 have to be mentioned. Is the writer from T.O?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

You saw my post before i took Verbeek out, but clearly a physical player. I think he doesnt get mentioned because of his size..too bad to, he was terrific.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Of course Neely is #1.

how is Gordie Howe not #1?? not even mentioned????

Have to agree on the inclusion of Gordie Howe.  I've read stories about how nasty a player he could be including beating Ranger tough guy Lou Fontinato (sp?) to a pulp in 1959.  All those legendary tales about his elbows and the Gordie Howe Hat Trick had to come from somewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

Allan Muir has established a good list. Nothing against.

But, Top 10 NHL Power Forwards Of All Time. He has certainly never done any research,  video, movie or story on Maurice rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Ted the terrible Lindsay or even Bobby Hull. This is not totally professional.

Given the title.