So whats up with Thomas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So whats up with Thomas?

Anyone hear anything? I'm a little suprised he hasnt found his way onto a roster yet. Perhaps he's had some offers but nothing he likes. I'm guessing if he hasnt signed by now maybe he's waiting to see if someones goaltending is effected by injury or subpar performance.

I was hoping to see him play this year, more curiousity than anything else. This cant be helping his plans for Sochi.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: So whats up with Thomas?

I have no idea Kel but I'm not on Facebook. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Thast was a total prima donna thing he did -- "Think I'll take next year off and then, maybe, if I feel like it and don't have anything better to do, bestow my greatness upon some lucky NHL team."

Sorry Tim, the world has moved on and is doing fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Just add another F for forgotten.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I go down to Colorado Springs a lot and I've always got my ear to the ground for anything about TT, and I have never heard a single thing.  I asked a newspaper guy down there and few people in the USA/collegiate hockey circles about this too.  Nothing.  We need some paparazzi following this guy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Anyone hear anything? I'm a little suprised he hasnt found his way onto a roster yet. Perhaps he's had some offers but nothing he likes. I'm guessing if he hasnt signed by now maybe he's waiting to see if someones goaltending is effected by injury or subpar performance.

I was hoping to see him play this year, more curiousity than anything else. This cant be helping his plans for Sochi.

I'm surprised as well Kelv. Maybe he wants a multi year for big dough, or maybe no team wants to answer questions all year about the issues that are bound to follow him. The teams that are interested might have doubts that he can still handle the workload, especially if it's a team that gives up lots of shots. Who knows?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He's proven himself untrustworthy - how many players have decided to take a year off like this?  Not very many.  He's proven himself a lightning rod for politics.  He hasn't played in a  year.  He's a gamble.

You may not agree with me, but it looks like every gm in the NHL does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I wonder if his ego or stellar playing pedigree would allow him to be a backup somewhere?  Most teams seem to have someone as their number ones.  Could he land in Calgary where the Flames have Leland Irving and Joey MacDonald?  Anyone hear if it's confirmed Kiprusoff retired?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He's proven himself untrustworthy - how many players have decided to take a year off like this?  Not very many.  He's proven himself a lightning rod for politics.  He hasn't played in a  year.  He's a gamble.

You may not agree with me, but it looks like every gm in the NHL does.

He is, BH.  You mentioned his time away from the game plus his age have to be factored in.  He may be hard pressed to find a team willing to see if he's able to pick up where he left off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I wonder if his ego or stellar playing pedigree would allow him to be a backup somewhere?  Most teams seem to be pretty set in their number ones.  Could he land in Calgary where the Flames have Leland Irving and Joey MacDonald?  Anyone hear if it's confirmed Kiprusoff retired?

Nothing written, but lots of unconfirmed that Kipper is done. The Flames have pretty much given up on Irving & are hoping Karri Ramo is the answer. 

I think TT is going to have a ton of invites to different teams & allow them to take a look at him before committing. I heard Zito was talking to some teams, but I don't know who contacted who. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I wonder if his ego or stellar playing pedigree would allow him to be a backup somewhere?  Most teams seem to be pretty set in their number ones.  Could he land in Calgary where the Flames have Leland Irving and Joey MacDonald?  Anyone hear if it's confirmed Kiprusoff retired?

Nothing written, but lots of unconfirmed that Kipper is done. The Flames have pretty much given up on Irving & are hoping Karri Ramo is the answer. 

I think TT is going to have a ton of invites to different teams & allow them to take a look at him before committing. I heard Zito was talking to some teams, but I don't know who contacted who. 

Thanks for the update, Nite.  I'd read in the Calgary Sun some weeks ago that reports out of Finland said Kiprusoff retired but it wasn't official on this side of the world. 

Let me ask you something.  You're a goaltender.  So is kel. You know what's involved in the position.  If he signs on somewhere can you see Thomas picking up where he left off pre-three F's or considering his age, that he hasn't played at the NHL level in over a year his best days are behind him?  What challenges inherent in the position lay ahead for him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I have no idea Kel but I'm not on Facebook. 

Zing!

I am suprised seeing that allot of teams out there need some good goatending. Allot of temas have downright awful golatending as of today. My guess is he wants more money than being offered and at least two years.

Is the question in the back of the GMs mind- what if he isn't getting enough starts, does he retire ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Thanks for the update, Nite.  Let me ask you something.  You're a goaltender.  So is kel. You know what's involved in the position.  If he signs on somewhere can you see Thomas picking up where he left off pre-three F's or considering his age, that he hasn't played at the NHL level in over a year his best days are behind him?  What challenges inherent in the position lay ahead for him?

Under normal circumstances I'd say he's done & would never get back to where he was. TT is a different individual. He thrives off people doubting him. Just as TT was about to give up his NHL chances he got that call from Mike O'Connell. He was packed to go to Finland that day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this wasn't part of a game plan by him. He's heard all the stories & all the nay sayers how he wouldn't be that good in a different system. Or how the B's gave him so much goal support in the SCF. This is what makes Thomas tick. In 2012 play-offs against the Caps. TT looked the same way he did in 2010 when Rask took his job. He lost his will to battle as hard as he did. He won everything there was to win for a goalie in 2011. In 2012 his goal was th eHart Trophy. Once he knew he wasn't good enough to win that he felt like he failed his goal. If Rask didn't have the groin issue I think CJ would've not made the same mistake he made in 2010 against Philly. And he would've gave Rask a start. Thomas is a different breed & having him not get calls, or not get a contract is exactly what he wants. He wants to come out of NO WHERE again. And even though he ruined a lot of his legacy, he certainly isn't going to let that be the end of it. I just don't see a man who fought so hard & for so long to get where he is & let it go that easily. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well said Nite. The stubborness, the mindset he has when it comes to his political beliefs etc..All play a role in how he became one of if not the best goalie in the game. I'm very interested in his situation and like I said, wil be very curious to see how he performs if he comes back.

You just know there was meaning behind his statement about the Olympics. I'm sure he believes the second he steps back ont he ice that he is the best American goalie in the game. That part about him, I love.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Agree Kel, and the fawker better come back & make some noise at some point with STELLAR play on the ice, because I put $50.00 down that he does. lol 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Well said Nite. The stubborness, the mindset he has when it comes to his political beliefs etc..All play a role in how he became one of if not the best goalie in the game. I'm very interested in his situation and like I said, wil be very curious to see how he performs if he comes back.

You just know there was meaning behind his statement about the Olympics. I'm sure he believes the second he steps back ont he ice that he is the best American goalie in the game. That part about him, I love.

The best American goalie....who just so happens refuses to go to the White House. God, the press from around the entire world would really have fun with that one, no?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Flames would be wise to give him a hefty one year deal, then deal him to a team in need of a goalie.  This is why I think the Rask market wouldn't have been great.  But Ive killed that debate...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I wonder if his ego or stellar playing pedigree would allow him to be a backup somewhere?  Most teams seem to have someone as their number ones.  Could he land in Calgary where the Flames have Leland Irving and Joey MacDonald?  Anyone hear if it's confirmed Kiprusoff retired?

Per Rotoworld:

Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster said the team will "continue our dialogue" with goalie Miikka Kiprusoff in light of Tuesday's report he will retire.

Feaster also said the report out of Finland on Tuesday morning stating Kiprusoff had told the Finnish national team he was retiring isn't out of line with what they've heard from the netminder. However, it does sound like the Flames, rightly or not, aren't closing the door on the veteran netminder just yet. Kiprusoff has one year and $1.5 million left on his NHL contract. Jun 25 - 2:31 PM

Source: NHL.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

I'm surprised as well Kelv. Maybe he wants a multi year for big dough, or maybe no team wants to answer questions all year about the issues that are bound to follow him. The teams that are interested might have doubts that he can still handle the workload, especially if it's a team that gives up lots of shots. Who knows?

Once you have retired from a contract the questions abound on age, condition, and attitude.  Do I hear the Jagr "I want to play NHL hockey again"?  As a GM I will agree with the above.  No Big Z, no defensive minded coach, and to wit a reputation as a singleton on a Team all would have GMs speaking of other goalies available?  The thread has navigated that way. 

PS, Yoga does make one special though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Under normal circumstances I'd say he's done & would never get back to where he was. TT is a different individual. He thrives off people doubting him. Just as TT was about to give up his NHL chances he got that call from Mike O'Connell. He was packed to go to Finland that day.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this wasn't part of a game plan by him. He's heard all the stories & all the nay sayers how he wouldn't be that good in a different system. Or how the B's gave him so much goal support in the SCF. This is what makes Thomas tick. In 2012 play-offs against the Caps. TT looked the same way he did in 2010 when Rask took his job. He lost his will to battle as hard as he did. He won everything there was to win for a goalie in 2011. In 2012 his goal was th eHart Trophy. Once he knew he wasn't good enough to win that he felt like he failed his goal. If Rask didn't have the groin issue I think CJ would've not made the same mistake he made in 2010 against Philly. And he would've gave Rask a start. Thomas is a different breed & having him not get calls, or not get a contract is exactly what he wants. He wants to come out of NO WHERE again. And even though he ruined a lot of his legacy, he certainly isn't going to let that be the end of it. I just don't see a man who fought so hard & for so long to get where he is & let it go that easily. 

nite, you're right.  His determination is well-documented.  It's hugely admirable to help take him to where it did and I wish him no ill.  As a goaltender I'm wondering what part of playing the position is affected most by inactivity of the length he's experienced.  I've always read player's accounts of no amount of practice can equal game situations. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Like you, kel I'll be keeping an eye on where he ends up, if anywhere at all.  Can the features you mention above help overcome the march of time and inactivity?  What part of your game do you think would be affected most if you were out of the game for over a year?  Your agility?  Reflexes?  Vision?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kipprusoff retires...as expected.  A six year contract with the final year paying the 36 year old goalie $1.5M.  They might as well just say it.

Pure cap circumvention.  Such BS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Kipprusoff retires...as expected.  A six year contract with the final year paying the 36 year old goalie $1.5M.  They might as well just say it.

Pure cap circumvention.  Such BS.

Created by the owners who are cheating their created cba.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Like you, kel I'll be keeping an eye on where he ends up, if anywhere at all.  Can the features you mention above help overcome the march of time and inactivity?  What part of your game do you think would be affected most if you were out of the game for over a year?  Your agility?  Reflexes?  Vision?

Much more important than those, your timing, positional play, feel for the game - getting in the right spots to anticipate where shots will land, knowing the shooters - and all that stuff.