Sobokta and the Blues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Sobokta and the Blues

You can't win with duinne yaz16. She has the answer to everything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I always liked Sobotka's game.  Great 3rd/4th line player with a miniscule cap hit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

If the Bruins got past philly does Sobokta get traded? Lets think about that for a second

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Sobokta and the Blues:
    [QUOTE]I was not a Sobotka supporter until last year, when his real talent began to emerge, and especially during the Buffalo and Phila series.  He was flying!!  Now, seeing him sparkle for St Louis, I wish we had not traded him.  With Savard not ready and Krejci now hurt, we could use more of that depth at center.   Not sure who we got in return for Sobotka, but it's not anyone on the roster now.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

I love Sobotka and it broke my heart when he was traded, but with the center glut on this team (who knew what would happen with injuries?), what would you do with him? It wouldn't be fair to him to stash him in Providence again; he's earned the chance for a spot on an NHL roster. From other stories I've seen, he asked Chiarelli for a trade; even if he played for the big club this year, somehow, he knew that with guys like Colborne, Seguin and Spooner in the pipeline, and Savard, Bergeron and Krejci well established in Boston, there really wasn't room for him.

I wouldn't say he's "sparkled" for St. Louis quite yet. From reports, the game in Boston was his best effort of the year. I hope for his sake he keeps playing that well, because I believe he can be a solid NHL center.

And he was traded for defenseman David Warsofsky, who is playing at Boston University.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

I was not a Sobotka supporter until last year, when his real talent began to emerge, and especially during the Buffalo and Phila series.  He was flying!!  Now, seeing him sparkle for St Louis, I wish we had not traded him.  With Savard not ready and Krejci now hurt, we could use more of that depth at center.  

Not sure who we got in return for Sobotka, but it's not anyone on the roster now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sobokta and the Blues : The bolded is absolute hogwash. Not only did Savard not do that, but no team would ever "ship off" a player because of a too many men penalty. Chiarelli made it clear though, the move wasn’t because the Bruins didn’t like Sobotka, the Czech center they selected in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. “He’s like a little wrecking ball and he’s a great kid,” Chiarelli said of Sobotka. “But I mean, we acquired Greg Campbell, we got some more centers coming in. Vladdy on the wing with his size, it’s not that he has size difficulty but he had trouble getting comfortable. I talked to Vladdy and he’s happy that we’re giving him a chance somewhere else and again, a good kid, I like the way he plays, he’s belligerent, he protects the puck well. We just moved him to another organization now where he’s going to get a better chance." http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/by-trading-vladimir-sobotka-bruins-add-defensive-depth-free-up-space-at-center.html
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Savard did throw Sobotka under the bus (he later half-assed an apology) but the too many men penalty was certainly not the reason Sobotka was shipped out.  The Bruins' 4th line was already full with Thornton, Campbell (after the Horton deal only weeks before) and "Paille".  I'm a huge Sobotka fan, but even I knew he wasn't going to produce much beyond the 4th line.  PC moved him and got decent value.  Warsofsky seems like he is progressing nicely at BU.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Conventionally and historically, it is the The Coach who must always accept responsibility for a Too Many Men penalty. Ask Don Cherry. Claude Julien didn't.

One thing's for certain; with that kind of across-the-board lack of accountability after that kind of collapse, Chiarelli had nothing short of a complete culture change ahead of him. I would say that gut job is well under way.

And lets not forget that Chiarelli did try to 'ship out' Savard and his cap-friendly salary, this summer as well.

Not to make too much of it but time may look on the Too Many Men penalty with too few 'men' owning up to it, as the penalty that started it all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

...."Undoubtedly, there were inquiries. Undoubtedly, Chiarelli listened. That's a general manager's job"

Really? This guy is your number one centre, you've signed him to a 'lifetime deal' (and very cap-friendly deal)
    Isn't even 'listening' a kinda sign that things with Savard and the Bruins (see: Julien) are...not exactly...harmonious?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Sobokta and the Blues

Sobokta played a great game last night. After so many seasons in the nhl i think he finally has got "it" but unfortunately in a new environment. He made barely any mistakes, scored the only goal and his line was pressing on our defense all night long. I still sort of feel bad for him that Savard had to put him under the bus and that he was the one that got shipped off.

His new team will make the playoffs this year and will do some damage. They are a really fast and tenacious bunch. They keep the puck in the offensive end, and their d's do a great job of getting it out from their end. Parts of the third and OT they weren't as nearly as good as the 1st two periods but overall i feel we got outplayed. Backes, Oshie, Steen, Macdonald, Perron (didn't play last night) all are nightmares for defensemen's to face.

My prediction is that St Louis makes it to the semi finals in their conference this year with Chicago, Vancouver and Detroit

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]yaz cant win anything with anyone because he just makes stuff up and hopes nobody notices
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

You spelled "yaz" wrong.  It's spelled "Duinne".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

You shouldn't believe everything you read.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Conventionally and historically, it is the The Coach who must always accept responsibility for a Too Many Men penalty. Ask Don Cherry. Claude Julien didn't. One thing's for certain; with that kind of across-the-board lack of accountability after that kind of collapse, Chiarelli had nothing short of a complete culture change ahead of him. I would say that gut job is well under way. And lets not forget that Chiarelli did try to 'ship out' Savard and his cap-friendly salary, this summer as well. Not to make too much of it but time may look on the Too Many Men penalty with too few 'men' owning up to it, as the penalty that started it all.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

You can stop now, Murphy.

Both Chiarelli and Savard have stated, repeatedly, that Chiarelli did not shop, auction, try to "ship out" or otherwise attempt to trade Savard this summer.

Undoubtedly, there were inquiries. Undoubtedly, Chiarelli listened. That's a general manager's job. But just because little Jimmy Murphy kept insisting all summer that Savard was just about to be traded! didn't mean it was so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

He played a great game. We know he's got potential but he could do with being a bit more consistent. Last night was by far the most minutes he's had all season.

The most telling stat for me (other than the goal) was the face-off percentage. 13 wins and only 3 losses is pretty incredible. He had a point to prove and I think he did that. If he can put in performances like that more often then St Louis will be doing well.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471743&view=log&season=20102011

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

How come when bergeron doesn't get many points we still think he is great, because he brings "other" things. But, Sobotka doesn't?   Are you kidding me?

Anybody that watched the B's/Sabres series remembers two things. 1) Boychucks coming out party and 2) Sobotkas passion and great play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, he's clearly got "it", you know, with scoring his first point in the 11th game and all that...

He's a nice 4th line center to play around 10 minutes a night...I always liked him, but he is what he is.  The Blues are a good team with or without him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Sobokta and the Blues:
    [QUOTE]Sobokta played a great game last night. After so many seasons in the nhl i think he finally has got "it" but unfortunately in a new environment. He made barely any mistakes, scored the only goal and his line was pressing on our defense all night long. I still sort of feel bad for him that Savard had to put him under the bus and that he was the one that got shipped off. His new team will make the playoffs this year and will do some damage. They are a really fast and tenacious bunch. They keep the puck in the offensive end, and their d's do a great job of getting it out from their end. Parts of the third and OT they weren't as nearly as good as the 1st two periods but overall i feel we got outplayed. Backes, Oshie, Steen, Macdonald, Perron (didn't play last night) all are nightmares for defensemen's to face. My prediction is that St Louis makes it to the semi finals in their conference this year with Chicago, Vancouver and Detroit
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

The bolded is absolute hogwash. Not only did Savard not do that, but no team would ever "ship off" a player because of a too many men penalty.

Chiarelli made it clear though, the move wasn’t because the Bruins didn’t like Sobotka, the Czech center they selected in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

“He’s like a little wrecking ball and he’s a great kid,” Chiarelli said of Sobotka. “But I mean, we acquired Greg Campbell, we got some more centers coming in. Vladdy on the wing with his size, it’s not that he has size difficulty but he had trouble getting comfortable.

I talked to Vladdy and he’s happy that we’re giving him a chance somewhere else and again, a good kid, I like the way he plays, he’s belligerent, he protects the puck well. We just moved him to another organization now where he’s going to get a better chance."

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/by-trading-vladimir-sobotka-bruins-add-defensive-depth-free-up-space-at-center.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sobokta and the Blues : Savard kind of did throw Sobotka under the bus.  In post-game interviews, he took absolutely no responsibility.  I believe the next day he may have taken some responsibility for it, but initially he did not. From TheBruinsBlog.net : Sobotka was the extra man on the ice after Marc Savard didn’t go for a line change. In the immediate aftermath of the game, and for weeks beyond, the debate raged as to whether Savard or Sobotka was at fault – with Savard surprisingly not publicly accepting even a share of the blame. Sobotka is still baffled as to why anyone blamed him. “I read some comments, what Savvy said about it, that it was my mistake,” said Sobotka. “Everyone knows what happened on the bench and I’m not going to say anything about it again. What happened happened.” www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/06/too-many-centers-spurred-sobotkas-exit-fresh-start-with-blues/ " /> http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/06/too-many-centers-spurred-sobotkas-exit-fresh-start-with-blues/ Another article relating to the issue: http://www.necn.com/05/17/10/Savard-needs-to-own-up-to-his-gaffe/landing_sports.html?blockID=235911&feedID=4945 I agree, though, that he was not shipped off due to that whole ordeal.  Too many centermen and he was too low on the depth chart.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]

Considering that in retrospect we know that Savard was playing with a scrambled brain, I doubt he even remembers what he did, let alone what he said. Haggerty can be such a freakin' dooch. Savard probably had all he could do after that game to keep from breaking down in the middle of the locker room, and as I recall, Sobotka wasn't in much better shape (he was in tears on the bench). I hate it when media guys get on the high horses -- Haggerty slams Fischler for blaming Sobotka, but he's just as bad in blaming Savard. It was a screw-up, plain and simple.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sobokta and the Blues : The bolded is absolute hogwash. Not only did Savard not do that, but no team would ever "ship off" a player because of a too many men penalty. Chiarelli made it clear though, the move wasn’t because the Bruins didn’t like Sobotka, the Czech center they selected in the fourth round (106th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. “He’s like a little wrecking ball and he’s a great kid,” Chiarelli said of Sobotka. “But I mean, we acquired Greg Campbell, we got some more centers coming in. Vladdy on the wing with his size, it’s not that he has size difficulty but he had trouble getting comfortable. I talked to Vladdy and he’s happy that we’re giving him a chance somewhere else and again, a good kid, I like the way he plays, he’s belligerent, he protects the puck well. We just moved him to another organization now where he’s going to get a better chance." http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/by-trading-vladimir-sobotka-bruins-add-defensive-depth-free-up-space-at-center.html
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Savard kind of did throw Sobotka under the bus.  In post-game interviews, he took absolutely no responsibility.  I believe the next day he may have taken some responsibility for it, but initially he did not.

From TheBruinsBlog.net:

Sobotka was the extra man on the ice after Marc Savard didn’t go for a line change. In the immediate aftermath of the game, and for weeks beyond, the debate raged as to whether Savard or Sobotka was at fault – with Savard surprisingly not publicly accepting even a share of the blame. Sobotka is still baffled as to why anyone blamed him.

“I read some comments, what Savvy said about it, that it was my mistake,” said Sobotka. “Everyone knows what happened on the bench and I’m not going to say anything about it again. What happened happened.”

www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/06/too-many-centers-spurred-sobotkas-exit-fresh-start-with-blues/">http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/06/too-many-centers-spurred-sobotkas-exit-fresh-start-with-blues/

Another article relating to the issue:

http://www.necn.com/05/17/10/Savard-needs-to-own-up-to-his-gaffe/landing_sports.html?blockID=235911&feedID=4945

I agree, though, that he was not shipped off due to that whole ordeal.  Too many centermen and he was too low on the depth chart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

[QUOTE]If the Bruins got past philly does Sobokta get traded? Lets think about that for a second
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Aaah, yeah, he does. Not because he was at fault or any crap like that. People seem to forget this is a very talented team with a cap problem.

Vladi is a good player, most of us would like to see him on this team, but in the end there wasn't room and he was moved. I think that's all there is to this story. Sure, we could use the depth, but the B's couldn't afford it. So here we go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I really liked Sobotka and I think with the Krejci Concussion nows the Time when he could've been a great player to have. Sobotka and Marchand both bring a fast hitting agitating game that does so many different things for your team I was sad to see Sobs leave.

Also Brad Boyes is a monster in the shootout.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]You shouldn't believe everything you read.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

Sure, believing that Chiarelli traded Sobotka as punishment for a split-second mixup makes a lot more sense than trading a young center on a team overflowing with center prospects, and getting in exchange a defensive prospect that they need (you notice how many defensemen vs. centers they've drafted lately?). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]You can't win with duinne yaz16. She has the answer to everything.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

There's this magic device called "Google" that will reveal answers to just about anything. You can find wonderful things called statistics and quotes and attribution just by typing in words like "Sobotka" and "Chiarelli" and that kind of stuff. It's really amazing. You should try it sometime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

I dunno, Duinne. 'Repeatedly'? I saw Savard, on the first tee, somewhere this summer expressing, admitting 'hurt.'

this was pretty widely circulated round Aug 15th;

"They hurt me a little bit just because I went to Boston and I helped to build that team back up," Savard said in an interview Friday - his first public comments since the rumours surfaced.

"I've really tried to work hard with the young guys and being a core player. I was really focused on staying there for the rest of my career. To hear all this stuff this summer bothered me inside more than anything else."

Chiarelli didn't try to trade Savard, like he didn't try to trade Thomas like he didn't try to trade Kessel?

Secretive guile and sly brinksmanship don't appear to be Chiarelli's strongsuits. James Bond he ain't.

Point being, that for whatever reason, two thirds of the Too Many Men Trio were almost gone this August. I'm speculating that moving Savard, or the impetus to even consider it, wasn't just the fact that Savard - with the emergence of Seguin - found himself the odd centre out.

He's not the centre you or I or anyone would move, right? All things being equal?

Obviously one, ill-timed, unaccounted-for Too Many Men On The Ice penalty doesn't warrant a culture change, but it may very well have been the exclamation point on the end of a bad story that needed to change.

Was 'the dream we had' that Chiarelli was moving Savard an issue of...character? Accountability? Chemistry? Why would Chiarelli even entertain it? Why did it take weeks of speculation and a barren trade market (with only two teams to choose from, Ott and Tor) for Chiarelli to utter something that sorta sounded like unequivocal support for Savard?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Back to the original point, I thought that Sobotka and Oshie deserved to top two stars, with the Blues' goalposts earning the third (or Rask). 

Every team should strive to play like St. Louis and I thought Kathryn Tappen looked stunning in the NESN booth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Why does Bergeron get more slack?  Because he has an NHL track record.  He's topped 70 points and 30 goals in an NHL season.  He's also coming back from a life-threatening injury, so his first full season back, he got a bit more slack than usual.  Sobotka hasn't shown he can be a scorer at this level, so he doesn't do "other things" he just does "things".  His goal on Rask was a nice shot, but he was in position to take that shot because of a bad breakout pass.  He had some opportunities to make an impact in Boston but he clearly didn't meet the coaching staff's expectations, and eventually, the time comes to move a guy when it's not working, especially when you owe it to other players to give them a shot too.  Let's not forget the little Sob went more than 40 games without a goal.  Only goons are allowed that kind of futility.

If the Too Many Men penalty was a factor, it was a factor because Sobotka was less important than Savard.  Cottage cheese brain or no, Savard did lay the blame on Sobotka, and that's got to be pretty hard for a kid to take - hey, you, you're responsible for a historic loss.  Loser.  "He's a good kid" also means he doesn't deserve that.  And in the end...well, how many times have you heard a GM say they were giving a guy a chance in a new situation and they wish him well?  If there's any truth to that, it means that every GM wheels players they believe can be better, and they want to help them reach their potential.  Sobotka probably deserves that, because his struggles in Boston had nothing to do with effort.

I've read journalists other than Murphy and Haggerty on the subject of Savard being shopped.  The concensus from even the reasonable people seems to be that the Bruins opened conversations.  They didn't just listen.  What's not clear is how those conversations opened:  was it "Marc Savard is available - make me an offer" or "I have too many players and I'm exploring my options  - if you're interested in exploring some trade scenarios, maybe we can work something out."