Sort of Sick of 37

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sort of Sick of 37

If there is one player that symbolizes what it takes to be a Bruin, it is Patrice Bergeron."

I think I've reached my quota of the Patrice Bergeron Love Train.  Enough is enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Sort of Sick of 37

"Nobody wants to read your blog beat it!"

I can't even find the article. How did you even find that site ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's on the Globe B's page.  I've just reached my limit.  Hey, he's great.  He's a second line center who wins faceoffs and plays defense well.

Some dipthing on PuckDaddy suggested that Bergeron could/would end up meaning more to the B's than Orr, Espo or Bourque.  The same dope said that Bergeron has been the most important Bruin for the past 10 years. 

More important than Chara or Thomas?  I think not.

I can't take much more of this!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nah, you love Bergeron.  "Give me five Bergerons and you take five Gretzkys and we'll beat you every time!"  Didn't you once right that?  No?  Must have been BadHab.

I think the headline's off here.  "Sort of Sick of blog jockeys who have nothing to add wasting energy by building up the Bergeron legend."

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The only way I would ever get sick of 37 is if he wore another sweater besides the mighty spoked B. Life is short. Hockey careers even shorter. Embrace 37. He too will be gone sooner than we want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Nah, you love Bergeron.  "Give me five Bergerons and you take five Gretzkys and we'll beat you every time!"  Didn't you once right that?  No?  Must have been BadHab.

No, I didn't "right" that.

I'm in the "Orr is #2 on the list of best players ever" group.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Posted like a true Panther fan.  Back to hfboards with you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Uh...I was being ironic...uh...because, you know, if you were dumb enough to write that, you'd probably spell write "right".

Yeah.  That's it.

Stupid spelling mistakes aside, Bergeron's a top of the league two-way player and I think he's the key forward for the way this team is built even though he's not the #1 C.  You'd have a harder time replacing what he does for them than Krejci or Lucic.  Lucic would be impossible to replace with a similar player, but I think you could replace him with a goal-scorer and it wouldn't impact the team as much as replacing Bergeron with almost any other second line C in the league (Crosby/Malkin excepted).  Obviously I think he has a shot at the HoF if the next four years play out the way I hope - that there's instant chemistry and production from the Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson trio and you see about 300 points from Bergeron over those years.  Add that to a few more Selke acknowledgements and he has the resume of a special player.

None of that changes that I agree about the summer of Bergeron.  The guy played with a bunch of injuries that would keep most of us from desk jobs.  He signed a team-friendly long-term deal to be a Bruin for life.  I know these stories.  I think most everyone who follows the Bruins has a pretty good idea that that means Bergeron is tough - so a good Bruin - and will be a Bruin for the rest of his career barring trades.  But the blogosphere has to attach more significance to these things - it's clickbait. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Stupid post...we are not arguing about who's the best ...if you aresick and tired about Patrice....get lost you are just not a Bruins fan...so long !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Awesome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Stupid post...we are not arguing about who's the best ...if you aresick and tired about Patrice....get lost you are just not a Bruins fan...so long !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

I've been exposed.  Dang.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah we need a "How many Panther threads will Nas start ?"...

I predict at least 7 Florida Panther threads started through out the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Yah we need a "How many Panther threads will Nas start ?"...

I predict at least 7 Florida Panther threads started through out the season.

Bergeron is ok, but he is no Scott Mellanby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It isn't Bergeron's fault, but I am also starting to reach my threshold with some of this stuff too, and here's a good example.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/boston-bruins-national-hockey-league-nations-214634540.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYK5AhS3B0Al6NNbK5_

This is so myopic it must been written by a very young Bruins fans who thinks the team has been around for 30 years or so.  But Bergeron now headlines the best Bruin players ever from Canada??  Really?  And...Blake Wheeler being consider the best American player on the Bruins is a more disgusting smear to this fine country than even shupe could come up with.

Bergeron's greatness has a lot to do with modesty and a quiet, unassuming excellence.  That is being overrun right by a whole lot of summetime hype.  He was great in the playoffs, inspiring even.  He's a great player.  A perfect Bruin.  Let's stop talking about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, I didn't "right" that.

[/QUOTE]

How can you be # 2 on a list when there's only one name on it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

It's kind of funny Bergie is so underrated everywhere else in the league while being on the (very) short list of best all-around/two-way forwards in the game.

A good poll among B's fans would be who is more valuable, Bergie or Chara?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In this day and age he is the better bruin IMO, most of all hes a bruin for life and have you ever seen him whine or complain, the guy who most of all gets thrown into more situations than anyone else.

As far as the orr bourgue era and so on goes i was there saying or thinking the same things.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/boston-bruins-national-hockey-league-nations-214634540.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CYK5AhS3B0Al6NNbK5_

This is so myopic it must been written by a very young Bruins fans who thinks the team has been around for 30 years or so.  But Bergeron now headlines the best Bruin players ever from Canada??  Really?  And...Blake Wheeler being consider the best American player on the Bruins is a more disgusting smear to this fine country than even shupe could come up with.

What about Bob Sweeney, Bill O'Dwyer, Craig Janney, John Carter,  ? Hometown boys at least...

They showed the 1990 cup final game yesterday on NHL.com, it was just awful how good Edmonton was.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

It isn't Bergeron's fault, but I am also starting to reach my threshold with some of this stuff too, and here's a good example.

Bergeron's greatness has a lot to do with modesty and a quiet, unassuming excellence.  That is being overrun right by a whole lot of summetime hype.  He was great in the playoffs, inspiring even.  He's a great player.  A perfect Bruin.  Let's stop talking about it.

I love Bergeron but come on... Shore, Bourque, Bucyk, Schmidt, Neely, I don't know what that writer was smoking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

How can you be # 2 on a list when there's only one name on it?

Hockey News Orthodoxy.  http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100_greatest_hockey_players_by_The_Hockey_News

I can never resist this debate because it's endless.  I lean to Orr on faith alone because it's almost impossible to compare the two given the positions they played.  It was just obvious with both of them that they owned the game; that at any minute, they could do something and you knew there was a goal coming - a little pass, a head-fake, a little slip into space where suddenly the defense was exposed and the puck was on entirely the right person's stick. 

Health complicates it.  Gretzky was healthy for a dozen years, Orr it's hard to even say.  His last full season, he had what is still the third highest scoring season by a defenseman, one of only three 130+ point seasons by a D, and the other was by Coffey in the same year that Gretzky had 215 points.  Esposito had 152 when Orr had 139, but Orr won the Art Ross the year he had 135.  No other D has one Art Ross let alone two.  Orr goes out, scores 135 and has his best season for goals with 46...and only plays 30 more games.  Who knows what the career numbers look like if he had good knees? 

If you look at Gretzky vs. all other forwards and Orr vs. all other defensemen:

8 of the top 10 single season point totals for Gretzky, including the only 4 200+ point years.  Lemieux cam the closes to 200 with 199; he has the other 2 top years.

Orr had 6 straight 100+ point seasons. Only 5 D in the history of the game have topped that threshold - Coffey (5 times), Potvin, MacInnis and Leetch are the others.  Only Coffey had more than MacInnis's 103. 

I don't think either Orr's streak of 100pt seasons by a D, his two Art Ross Trophies, or his single season 139 total are going to fall any sooner than Gretzky's 215 points or 93 goals or 13 straight 40 goal seasons or his 2857 total points or 894 goals (almost 18 straight 50 goal years would get you there...).

I think it would be more obvious how comparably incomparable they were if it weren't for the Lemieux/Coffey problem.  If Lemieux had been healthy throughout his prime, I think you'd have seen him break 200 points and challenge that 215/93.  Maybe come as close as Coffey did to 139 or surpass one or both as Coffey did Orr's 46 goals.  His 160 in 60 games in 92-93 projects out to 218 over 82 games (and it was an 84 game season that year).  But he wasn't healthy through his prime, and he had Rob Brown for a winger for a chunk of his time, and and and.  There's this cross-over effect where the greatest forward was healthy, and his greatest challenger was not; the greatest defenseman wasn't healthy, but his greatest (offensive) challenger was. 

Take Lemieux out, and Gretzky's best season is 60 points better than Steve Yzerman's 155 - the 14th best total ever and the highest not by Gretzky or Lemieux.  That's 72% of Gretzky's 215.  Take Coffey out, and Orr's best season is 36 points better than MacInnis's 103.  MacInnis's total is 74% of Orr's total.  Somewhere in that 2% offensive dominance gap is all the things that Orr did because he was a defenseman - not an "offensive defenseman".  So...I lean to Orr knowing that not doubting that verdict can only be an act of faith because any reasonable look at the facts - and even my memories of both players - would have to raise doubts no matter which way you looked.

[Thread effectively hijacked?]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What about Bob Sweeney, Bill O'Dwyer, Craig Janney, John Carter,  ? Hometown boys at least...

They showed the 1990 cup final game yesterday on NHL.com, it was just awful how good Edmonton was.

I think you'd have to put Frank Brimsek at or near the top of that list. Hall of Famer with two cups and one of the coolest nicknames ever. I can't think of really anyone who would be a clear favourite for top American ahead of Brimsek, but to even mention Wheeler's name ahead of him is the height of ridiculousness.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I think you'd have to put Frank Brimsek at or near the top of that list. Hall of Famer with two cups and one of the coolest nicknames ever. I can't think of really anyone who would be a clear favourite for top American ahead of Brimsek, but to even mention Wheeler's name ahead of him is the height of ridiculousness.

Yes.  Or Mike Milbury.  12 solid years on some pretty memorable Bruins teams would certainly supplant Wheeler or Rolston.

Back to Bergeron, I like him when he's underrated.  He's better when he's underrated.  Put him next to Bobby Orr and suddenly the hustle and winning faceoffs aren't quite so appreciated.

I would say that Chara has a bigger impact for this team than Bergeron.  It's closer than it used to be, but I think people will be shocked by life without Chara some day.  His presence is a huge impact in every game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think Fletch pegged it - young.  Too young to remember Ray Bourque.  Maybe even too young to remember Billy Guerin, who played 142 games and had 69 goals in a Bruins uniform.  Not "retire his jersey"  number, but better than Flake Wheeler who played 221 and had 51.  And was basically a third liner his entire Bruins career.  Must remember Rolston because people talked about his past stint as a Bruin when he came back.

What stuck out to me, though, wasn't so much to goofy bits but the fact that Rask is probably the best Finn to play in Boston, and Axelsson is the best Swede (assuming you don't count Mats Naslund's past achievements - Bruin career only). Chara the best Slovak (he might be the best Slovak to have played in the NHL) and Krejci the best Czech are reasonable - you could have a bunch of good players from those countries and still be able to make a case that Krejci and Chara are the best.  Rask, too - as long as shupe's not involved.  But if you look at the Bruins's history of drafting guys born in Europe, it's revealingly bad.  The only competition for Rask is probably Matti Hagman.  For Krejci, Jiri Slegr (if Jagr had been around another year, he'd probably be the second best Czech...).  For Chara - Stumpel and Jurcina.  For Rask, either Laaksonen or the Columbus GM.  The only challenger for Axelsson is Michael Thelven.   They've had better luck with Ireland and England (relatively speaking).  Europe has been a wasteland for the Bruins until the current era, and incorporating a key Czech, Slovak, German and Finn have really made a difference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

It also shows the writer, which wasn't Puck Daddy, was lazy, very young and didn't do much research.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It also shows the writer, which wasn't Puck Daddy, was lazy, very young and didn't do much research.

It was written by a girl in Maine.

That about covers it.