Struggling Elite Team or Overachieving Average Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pictureguy. Show Pictureguy's posts

Struggling Elite Team or Overachieving Average Team

It is time for the B's to decide:

if they are an elite team that started off slow and is having a second rough patch  right now

or

an average team that had a very hot run through November and December.

I hope it is the former and they get their act together, but with all of the injuries I think right now they are the latter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Struggling Elite Team or Overachieving Average Team

Worn down and hearts just not in it... where would you ever get overachieving from?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Neither.  I don't think of them as an "elite" team.  They are a well-balanced, well-coached team which is normally very deep that plays a strong system, and learned how to win last June.

However, when they dont play 60 minutes, they look very, very average.

Right now, they have a laundry list of injured players which does in fact cause ripples throughout the lineup, with people being out of their comfort zones and others pressing too much.  Not an excuse, just another factor.

I think they are a very good team when mostly healthy and in a groove.  Right now they are terribly beaten up and no facet of their game... none... is particularly good for all sorts of reasons.

I don't know that they get healthy and get their act together enough in time for any playoff success.  I'm not willing to accuse them of not having their hearts in it... they just look like a beaten team right now with a lineup half comprised by former Providence and Islander castoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Struggling Elite Team or Overachieving Average Team:
    [QUOTE]Neither.  I don't think of them as an "elite" team.  They are a well-balanced, well-coached team which is normally very deep that plays a strong system, and learned how to win last June. However, when they dont play 60 minutes, they look very, very average. Right now, they have a laundry list of injured players which does in fact cause ripples throughout the lineup, with people being out of their comfort zones and others pressing too much.  Not an excuse, just another factor. I think they are a very good team when mostly healthy and in a groove.  Right now they are terribly beaten up and no facet of their game... none... is particularly good for all sorts of reasons. I don't know that they get healthy and get their act together enough in time for any playoff success.  I'm not willing to accuse them of not having their hearts in it... they just look like a beaten team right now with a lineup half comprised by former Providence and Islander castoffs.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Well said. To me if the injured can come back in time for the playoffs they have a chance, if not I don't see them having enough to overcome the loss of those two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

A solid balanced team with clutch playoff performers. Not quite at the skill level of Vancouver, Detroit, Pittsburgh, but when fully healthy they can be a dominant force, especially in the playoffs like we saw last year.

It's hard to judge this team when they are missing so many players. They were in a funk, then during that funk they got slammed with injuries that have made this stretch even longer. 

Seeing how last season went, I'm still confused as to how people are having serious doubts for this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]  Seeing how last season went, I'm still confused as to how people are having serious doubts for this team.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Because last year's team never faced this situation.  They were up and down, but injuries have ravaged this team.

The Bruins were magical last year, but no one will convince me that team would have survived the first round without Horton and Peverley.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Struggling Elite Team or Overachieving Average Team : Because last year's team never faced this situation.  They were up and down, but injuries have ravaged this team. The Bruins were magical last year, but no one will convince me that team would have survived the first round without Horton and Peverley.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Peverley is expected to be back for the first round, and Boston won 4/5 in the SCF against Vancouver without Horton... so winning the first round without him definitely seems possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

What a stupid question ...when you have 9 injured players...Horton, Paille, Pev, Rask, McQuaid, Bergeron, Boychuk, Pouliot, Sauve and Ferrence just came back
    not only the question is stupid but just asking it shows you know nothing about the BRUINS ..you must live on another planet

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah elite teams don't win cups they just get lucky. November and December was pure luck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]What a stupid question ...when you have 9 injured players...Horton, Paille, Pev, Rask, McQuaid, Bergeron, Boychuk, Pouliot, Sauve and Ferrence just came back not only the question is stupid but just asking it shows you know nothing about the BRUINS ..you must live on another planet Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012) Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012) Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012) Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012) Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012) Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 and 2013 (forget 2012)
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

So much for your comments about staying away till the draft. Me thinks you have a lot of arguments going on inside your head.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The defense is not elite even with Chara. He is very good, but fumbles the puck because of his long stick as much as he benefits with a longer reach. Anything in his feet becomes a potential problem behind the net or at the point. Seids is above average, but that's it. McQ, Ference, and Boychuck are good. Corvo is Corvo, and it's too early to tell with Zanon and Mottau. Seguin may be the only potentially "elite" player. Kreji.Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Peverly are above average. Horton, Kelly, and Campbell are average contributors. Caron has some potential to be good as does Paille. Thornton and Pouliot are fillers. Thomas was exceptional last year, but has been average lately; Tuuka can be above average, and is vital to any real success. Turco handles the puck better than either Thomas or Rask. Claude and his acolytes are steady, stubborn, fixated with very little deviation or inventiveness. Chiarelli has proven to be shrewd, inventive, and willing to bite the bullet. Has made a few mistakes, but the good moves are an overwhelming positive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Is this even a question? They won the Stanley Cup and and are leading their division. Of course they are an elite team. The most potent offence in the game. Win the cup? You can question that. But not whether they are an elite team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I've been saying what bogie6 posted for a year or so now. I agree with him 100%. As an example of that thought - Marchand is a perfect 3rd line LW and Lucic is a really good 2nd line LW. Neither have the skill set to be top line. Neither does Krecji, who is a classic Fred Stanfield type 2nd line center. Seguin is the only forward with top line talent and hopefully next year he will be B's 1st line center with a couple of new wings.
    The defense??? Come on Dougie and hopefully a top FA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

there's blood in the water and the sharks are circling. this is a great team but missing key elements and every coach in the division is going to exploit it. that's their job. that run in November and December was a bit of a set up - meaning it got everyone thinking this team was unstoppable. I doubt anyone expected it to continue but it does make for a huge let down. In the meantime, every player out there was looking to take the Bs down. Like the Penns coach said yesterday when questioned by your buddy Pierre (sarcasm font) - take down Chara a little at a time and when Bergeron took that puck to the shin, if I understand correctly, the Penns were told to keep pressure on him. It's part of the game. Every team has injuries and quite a few are just limping in right now, your team is lucky enough to still be "deep" and with the coach, they'll right themselves. I have faith. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

If you've been saying this for over a year now, it shows you have a complete lack of understanding of the Boston Bruins, player ability and modern hockey in general.

[QUOTE]I've been saying what bogie6 posted for a year or so now. I agree with him 100%. As an example of that thought - Marchand is a perfect 3rd line LW and Lucic is a really good 2nd line LW. Neither have the skill set to be top line. Neither does Krecji, who is a classic Fred Stanfield type 2nd line center. Seguin is the only forward with top line talent and hopefully next year he will be B's 1st line center with a couple of new wings. The defense??? Come on Dougie and hopefully a top FA.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think your elite-meter is broken. A team can't be the highest scoring and one of the toughest to score against without some elite ( or at least very good) elements. You have called the offence, defence and coaching average at best. Statistics and results don't back up what you are saying. Come on Bogie, I expect more from you!

[QUOTE]The defense is not elite even with Chara. He is very good, but fumbles the puck because of his long stick as much as he benefits with a longer reach. Anything in his feet becomes a potential problem behind the net or at the point. Seids is above average, but that's it. McQ, Ference, and Boychuck are good. Corvo is Corvo, and it's too early to tell with Zanon and Mottau. Seguin may be the only potentially "elite" player. Kreji.Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand and Peverly are above average. Horton, Kelly, and Campbell are average contributors. Caron has some potential to be good as does Paille. Thornton and Pouliot are fillers. Thomas was exceptional last year, but has been average lately; Tuuka can be above average, and is vital to any real success. Turco handles the puck better than either Thomas or Rask. Claude and his acolytes are steady, stubborn, fixated with very little deviation or inventiveness. Chiarelli has proven to be shrewd, inventive, and willing to bite the bullet. Has made a few mistakes, but the good moves are an overwhelming positive.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Niether! worn out tired and injured but they will be fine come April

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Some of these posts are rididculous. An overachieving team? What? Stanley Cup Champs and still leading their division after all their injuries? Yeah, the B's are just lucky.Unbelievable.The D is mediocre now, forwards aren't elite enough. Its amazing what a little adversity does. Get off the Titanic,weak ones , before its too late !!!!!Oh, and another thing, swim like hell!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Oatescam, with Seguin being "elite, followed by Kreji, Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand and Peverly that gives the bruins 6 top forwards that are above average, and better than those on many teams. They are not the problem, and they do score goals. The problem is imbeded in the defense, which is very structured according to Claude's dictates, and is now being circumvented by other teams who have learned to be fast and to hit hard [ a Bruin trait]. In addition, the Merlot line was, at one time, labeled as the best 4th line in the league. Other teams took notice, and now, their 3rd and 4th lines are bigger, faster and becoming harder to play against. Claude needs to take notice. He can no longer afford any roster player without good hockey skills. All players need to handle and control the puck. Just stirring the pot with some speed is no longer enough. The third line centerd by Kelly needs two Peverlys on his wings. The Bruins cannot afford any "floaters" , even those who have a high-light moment once in 20+ games.That's why this team is overacheiving and not yet "elite".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

This is an Elite team (Defending Cup Champs) that has had some issues to work through, and recently, some injuries. Their problem appears to be that they don't show up for the first 10 to 15 minutes, but after that, they look good. Thomas hasn't been saving their butt like he did before, so they need to get better starts and they will be okay. Final 4 for sure, and if they get back to the finals, they will win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pictureguy. Show Pictureguy's posts

I think a TEAM can be elite without an abundance of elite players if they play the right way (like last springs playoffs and their run through Nov/Dec)
    Right now they seem to be giving up way too many goals for a team that's strength is supposed to come from their defensive play. 
    That hot run put them at the top goal scoring in the league (although many of those games were blow-outs where the other team just gave up and it padded their goal scoring...won't say I didn't enjoy it though)  But that might have gotten the players thinking a bit more offence and not concentrating on their defence as much as they should.  They are winning a lot more games if their GAA would be where it should be for this team.
    This "average" streak that they are on right now started before all of these injuries but the injuries that they have right now is really making it hard for them to get out of this funk.  They were one of the healthiest teams for the first half but it's caught up to them in the second half.

Injuries aside though, I think these guys have proved they can play an elite game...IF they get healthy before the playoffs the players will have to decide (or the coaching will have to convince them) if they are going to play the style that makes them an elite TEAM or to continue on this AVERAGE streak they are on.