Suspend Scott for 30 Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Suspend Scott for 30 Games

In response to huntbri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He should get 10.

Moreso, the Sabers should be shamed into cleaning up their act. They are pathetic. Scott shouldn't be on the payroll and Ott as captain says a lot about your team values.

[/QUOTE]

The only difference with Ott is that he actually has some hockey ability.

[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with him being on the team.  My point is that when you name a guy like that captain, it sends the message that this is the style of play to which you aspire.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I could see Scott getting a lenthy suspension despite no priors for head hits because it was a "predatory" hit.  The suspension would be long not because of the head hit aspect, but because of the clear intent to injure.  Kinda like a random stick-swinging attack or other gross incident.  The league also needs to push Scott out.  He's a joke, an embarrasment and a threat to players.  I doubt it will top 10 games though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is an outrage. That is literally Savard Part II.  

Shanahan is a piece of garbage and will come up with some lawyer-like explanation as to why this was a clean hit.

"Scott is 6'7 and cannot be penalized for his height."

[/QUOTE]

After reviewing the video slow motion....30 games is not enough ....SUSPEND HIM LIFETIME ...no room for players like that in the NHL ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

and Hang him by the balls for 10 days

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

At one point of this game the Bs only had 5 hits, so its not a retaliation of the game play or the way the Bs were bouncing the sabres, the norm of this kind of hit and suspension so far has been auto 5 games with the inhouse meeting. Thats almost like admitting guilt and accepting the 5 games. Any suspension above 5 games can be apealled. Every sports head in the game are saying that the example has to be set now to send a message this has to stop now. As much as everyone thinks shanny is a wuss he has a tough call here and i think you will see with the added media pressure will set an example of scott.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Erikkson actually landed on his hands after the hit. May have saved his career. If he had landed on his head it would have been game over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I know it's egregious when I find myself agreeing with Milbury.

5-7 (although it should be more). This one is on Rolston though. Buffy was showing some resilience but you could feel the air leave the stadium after that.

Scott is a talentless ape who does not belong in the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

This one has everyone talking - I think Shanahan makes an example. Precedent or no; 15 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

There is no 'code'. No standard of respect these guys adhere to. Nothing anyone does (fighting as policing) is a deterrent. These guys are not afraid of retribution, they live in the moment, following their impulses which are driven by the emotions of that moment.

Massive suspensions and fines - to the offending player AND his coach - are the only things that are going to work.

If "You will lose a lot of money!" is the only voice the hamster-on-the-wheel-in-John-Scott's-head hears as he zeroes in on Loui Eriksson's head, maybe he pulls up, maybe just gives him a bump. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lots of posters on here want justice are also the ones that were defending the Kronwall and Penner hits. Quite the sudden reversal.

[/QUOTE]

Not a reversal at all, given the long list of clear and obvious differences between the hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Fine the coaches for every suspension. Big, super-painful fines. They'll start to take a hard look at who they're putting out there, who they're putting on their teams.

There is no code. The inmates are running the asylum and some of the 'policemen' are psychotic.

Money will be the only deterrent. Money will clean up the game. I say to my shame.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No difference in the Penner hit at all. Both had the same results and both were predatory.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No difference in the Penner hit at all. Both had the same results and both were predatory.

[/QUOTE]

See 'Clean Hit' thread.  Many differences.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and Hang him by the balls for 10 days

[/QUOTE]

This actually might make thugs like Scott think twice next time, using binder twine would likely work best, more abrasive. ;-p

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fine the coaches for every suspension. Big, super-painful fines. They'll start to take a hard look at who they're putting out there, who they're putting on their teams.

There is no code. The inmates are running the asylum and some of the 'policemen' are psychotic.

Money will be the only deterrent. Money will clean up the game. I say to my shame.

[/QUOTE]

Fines?   Who do you think ends up paying these "fines".  The owners.  There is always a way around everything.  The league has failed with suspensions bc there is no set standard.  Its point blank a joke.  

i know you think the league should take fighting out.  its not gonna happen.  McQuad did exactly whay a good team mate does.  He stood up to the big goon.  

I'm going 7 games.   never been suspended.  I was surprised when i saw this.  The new nhl stinks.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FanBruin. Show FanBruin's posts

It's time that the NHL and the players for that matter,step up and say enough is enough,hits to the head have to stop.min 20 games for anyone doing it,if you do it again 40 games,and if you do it a 3'rd time your done for life.These 2-5 games doesn't do a thing to stop it,and if it's a Bruin that commits it,yes the same goes for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I would love to see longer suspensions for stuff like this, but Shanahan's hands are tied by the Players' Association and precedence.  Any "message sending" length suspension would be appealed by the NHLPA, and any arbiter would find sufficient precedence to lower the suspension length.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will change until some sort of off-season agreement is reached on suspension lengths.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

7 games?  When is the NHL going to take possible career ending hits more seriously?  WHat is 7 games going to do?

We have a 6'7 behemoth gliding across the ice, from the blindside, and targeting the head of a player who can't defend himself.

You might as well just approve of coldcocking players after the whistle as part of the game.

Shanahan is a little political puuke who needs to show he understands what his job is.

7 games would be an embarrassment in this case.  Marc Savard's career is over because of Matt Cooke and Loui Eriksson's career might be affected because of this.

THe NFL is going through lawsuit after lawsuit trying to see if negligence was a factor with regards to player safety. Maybe an NHL player or two needs to rattle the cage a bit to get slimy Bettman to wake up.

Note how the Bettman PC rules have actually made this more prevalent than in decades past.

[/QUOTE]

Im not saying i agree with it.  Ive been very against scott before this.  Hes never been suspended and there is at least one of these a night.  the league doesnt know what its doing.  I love shanny as a player and i would hate to have that job as an ex nhl player.   

Why not any head shot 10 games.  If you are repeat offender it goes to 20 40 season.  The thing that would stop this is playoffs.  I dont think there is an easy solution.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

'DrCC, I agree longer suspensions would be nixed by the Player's Union which is why hefty, painful, embarrassing fines to the coaches (in the 6 figures range) will work. Coaches don't have a Union.

And, 'shuperman' I am aware that the Owners pay out these fines - but these guys didn't get rich sneezing at 100K haircuts - THEY will squeeze their GM's who will squeeze their coaches. Owners won't approve of Coaches who keep them running to their wallets to bail out marginal players who, at best, knock out the very star players the majority of their customers pay to see. The Coaches are the lynchpins here.

I'm not talking about fighting here, 'shuperman' (except to the extent that this hit by Scott illumintaes the fact that there is no code, no honour, no respect and no recourse AND lays waste to the logic that fighting somehow deters this type of thing, that it keeps the game policed and honest)- I'm talking about predatory hits on star/skilled players who make the League what it is and put the bums in the seats. There isn't an Owner out there who doesn't care about this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This is an outrage. That is literally Savard Part II.  

Shanahan is a piece of garbage and will come up with some lawyer-like explanation as to why this was a clean hit.

"Scott is 6'7 and cannot be penalized for his height."

[/QUOTE]

After reviewing the video slow motion....30 games is not enough ....SUSPEND HIM LIFETIME ...no room for players like that in the NHL ...

[/QUOTE]

Stanley never going to happen, but you have my vote. That is for your  second post as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How many icidents is this so far on the young season?

Scott will not get 30 games. Never happen. He's a first time offender, and as much as I'd like to see him kicked out of the league, 30 games is wishful thinking. Kaleta got 10 and he;s been in front of Shanahan every season it seems.

So what do you do? Clearly the way it is set up it is not working. This problem is getting worse. Why is this the case? How can it be cured?

Heres one mans ideas.

1. Make the penalties harsher. First incident deamed an "intent to injure" is a 10 game suspension. 2nd is a 25 game suspension and 3rd results in out of the league. Stuff like that.

2. Any team that that has two "intent to injure calls" against them during the course of a year that coach is suspened for 5 games. Every case after that results in more games.

3.. Take the hard plastic off the elbow and shoulder pads. Amazes me how this issue does not get looked at.

4. Instigator rule. I'm not so sure this plays a role. I used to think it did, but now, reinstating it would just give goons like this more reason to be on a roster.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

'DrCC, I agree longer suspensions would be nixed by the Player's Union which is why hefty, painful, embarrassing fines to the coaches (in the 6 figures range) will work. Coaches don't have a Union.

And, 'shuperman' I am aware that the Owners pay out these fines - but these guys didn't get rich sneezing at 100K haircuts - THEY will squeeze their GM's who will squeeze their coaches. Owners won't approve of Coaches who keep them running to their wallets to bail out marginal players who, at best, knock out the very star players the majority of their customers pay to see. The Coaches are the lynchpins here.

I'm not talking about fighting here, 'shuperman' (except to the extent that this hit by Scott illumintaes the fact that there is no code, no honour, no respect and no recourse AND lays waste to the logic that fighting somehow deters this type of thing, that it keeps the game policed and honest)- I'm talking about predatory hits on star/skilled players who make the League what it is and put the bums in the seats. There isn't an Owner out there who doesn't care about this.

[/QUOTE]

These are the same owners who have been eating millions and millions of contract dollars.  100k isnt gonna scare anyone.  I am agreeing with your stance.  But i dont think this solves it.  Truth be known i dont know how it gets better.  When i played in the chl you couldnt dress 18 skaters.  Do they really need a full forth line.  Why not 10 fwds.  You wanna dress two idiots you will lose.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

10 forwards isn't a bad idea, 'shuperman'. (except the Union would never go for the permanent elimination of 60 jobs)

Perhaps if a team wasn't allowed to replace a suspended player in their line-up for the suration of their player's suspension?

In the case of Buffalo and Kaleta for instance, they would only be able to dress 11 forwards for 10 games!(or 5 defenceman - however they decide) 

And with John Scott's suspension, they would find themselves down to 10 forwards for the length of time that Kaleta's and Scott's suspension overlap.

This would put this kind of player in the position he should be in - one where his suspendible offence hurts not just him but his whole team. Talk about meaningful 'policing' - this would clean things up pretty quick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Put me in the camp that the NHLPA needs to and can be the solution to this problem. Eriksson is a member, too, and the sooner they realize they should be defending THOSE players and not the goons, the better off everyone will be.

Fehr should step up and say that his players demand protection against the non-skilled types like Scott. They can't force a GM's hand in hiring, but they can stand up and say that they will NOT be fighting any suspension the league hands down in these severe cases, and instead will support the victims.

There should always be a mechanism to challenge rulings. It's a democratic society. But the NHLPA needs to play more prosecution instead of only defense.

25. This post has been removed.