Tardif and Hennessy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Tardif and Hennessy?

I don't get to see too many AHL games so I don't know a whole lot about the 2 guys Boston signed today. I'd appreciate hearing from some AHL fans that are familiar with these 2 guys. Tardif was captain in Grand Rapids so he must have some redeeming qualities I would think. Hennessy is a former 2nd rounder and winner of AHL rookie of the year. What's up with these guys?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Tardif and Hennessy?

I know nothing about Hennessey, but I think Tardif is a FANTASTIC signing for the baby B's. He'll likely never play in the show, but he has miles of heart, is a solid leader and a great character guy with a mind for the game (but unfortunately not the skills to match) who will likely coach in the league some day. He was the first hockey pro to tell my wife she had a shot at the national team if she put in the effort (she just freaked out when I told her he's a Bruin now). He has been a huge inspiration to her and I expect he'll be the same for our young guys in Providence. (not that he's that old himself). Best Bruins comparison I can think of is a very young Don Cherry.

I think he should get the C in Providence, and be a bit of an unsung hero, never getting up to Boston but being huge in terms of the Providence team and its development. GREAT signing, in my opinion.

So far, it's my favourite move by the B's this off-season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Tards is a great signing. I know Jamie from his time here in Grand Rapids. Unlikely to make it to the show but he's a hard worker with a ton of heart. Physical, will drop the gloves when needed. Great leader on and off the ice. Won't get a lot of points, 30 or so, but he's a solid AHL player and will definitely be a good addition to the P-Bruins. Welcome to the B's organization Jamie!  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Another Welland born player in the Bruins organization. Dan Paille , Nathan Horton and now Jamie Tardif. Nice to see local players ( for me ) wearing the spoked B and P .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dez, Think about the differences in what types of players the Bruins had in Providence during the 09' and 10' seasons. St. Pierre, Bitz and Nokelainen were very solid but the next year slim pickings. Depth just in case of another rash of injuries me thinks the Bruins now have depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hennessy is a failed 2nd round pick who did four AHL years with his third pro organization (Ottawa) and has managed 1 goal in 20 NHL games.  He was a capable AHL scorer, but his numbers in the Swiss league aren't encouraging.

What matters here, though, is the Bruins commitment to the P-Bruins this year.  They've been awful for the last couple of years because they've had no real depth - the few prospects have been surrounded by longshots and roster fillers (Yannick Riendeaux) and the team has been used as a place for the big club to stockpile college defenseman with puck skills.  They've had terrible goaltending and little shot at winning games - not a great environment when you're bringing in a crop of pretty decent prospects who, all things considered, are not looking at a quick path to the NHL.

Now they have a goaltender who can win games, a core of veteran AHLers in Hennessy, Tardif, Whitfield and Reich, and depth in the talent pool with Hamill, Arniel, Sauve, maybe Caron, maybe Cunningham (classic AHL star - super skill but too small for the NHL). On D - lots of potential coming in with Cross and Button and Warsofsky added to Bartkowski, Cohen, and Alexandrov.  Maybe Kampfer.

I think the P-Bruins make the playoffs under Cassidy, and maybe more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Tardif and Hennessy?:
    [QUOTE]Hennessy is a failed 2nd round pick who did four AHL years with his third pro organization (Ottawa) and has managed 1 goal in 20 NHL games.  He was a capable AHL scorer, but his numbers in the Swiss league aren't encouraging. What matters here, though, is the Bruins commitment to the P-Bruins this year.  They've been awful for the last couple of years because they've had no real depth - the few prospects have been surrounded by longshots and roster fillers (Yannick Riendeaux) and the team has been used as a place for the big club to stockpile college defenseman with puck skills.  They've had terrible goaltending and little shot at winning games - not a great environment when you're bringing in a crop of pretty decent prospects who, all things considered, are not looking at a quick path to the NHL. Now they have a goaltender who can win games, a core of veteran AHLers in Hennessy, Tardif, Whitfield and Reich, and depth in the talent pool with Hamill, Arniel, Sauve, maybe Caron, maybe Cunningham (classic AHL star - super skill but too small for the NHL). On D - lots of potential coming in with Cross and Button and Warsofsky added to Bartkowski, Cohen, and Alexandrov.  Maybe Kampfer. I think the P-Bruins make the playoffs under Cassidy, and maybe more.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yes, totally agree. Very encouraging and might engage me again on those fun Friday nights at the dunk.
    Has Tommy Cross recovered ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I recall Hennessy as one of the first premier local Boston kids to shun the NCAA route in favor of Canadian junior.  He was a stud in junior and was regarded as one of Ottawa's best prospcets for what seems like a long time, and just never panned out.

Interesting signing.  I guess the competition for the top-6 forward spots in Providence just got a little tougher.  Another sign that Spooner and Knight will probably see another year of junior unless they blow everyone away at camp.

I like it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

these guys are new to me also, but from your comments seems like Chiarelli is building a solid platform that will allow the young draftees an opportunity to develop while the veteran core keeps things on an even keel. Cassidy has a lengthy resume, and now these additions are experienced AHL level players to establish some balance. Now Chia can sign Marchand; watch the newbies in development camp;review, and hopefully revise, the coaching staff to uncover why the PP has been such a problem. Is it Ward? or Jarvis? or is it a staleness from being Claude's stewards for so long? Important questions that need answers. Isn't this fun ????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I recall Hennessy as one of the first premier local Boston kids to shun the NCAA route in favor of Canadian junior.  He was a stud in junior and was regarded as one of Ottawa's best prospcets for what seems like a long time, and just never panned out. Interesting signing.  I guess the competition for the top-6 forward spots in Providence just got a little tougher.  Another sign that Spooner and Knight will probably see another year of junior unless they blow everyone away at camp. I like it.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch, this issue was what Chowdah was giving you the gears for last night. Spooner and Knight have to play junior unless they make the big club out of camp. They're both too young to start the season in Prov.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tardif and Hennessy? : Fletch, this issue was what Chowdah was giving you the gears for last night. Spooner and Knight have to play junior unless they make the big club out of camp. They're both too young to start the season in Prov.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, thank you.  Did not realize that.  I thought they were now available for the AHL option this year.  I only need to be told 3 or 4 times before I pick it up...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

[QUOTE]Another Welland born player in the Bruins organization. Dan Paille , Nathan Horton and now Jamie Tardif. Nice to see local players ( for me ) wearing the spoked B and P .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

If they'd sign another Welland born player, Matt Ellis, I'd be a happy camper!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tardif and Hennessy? : If they'd sign another Welland born player, Matt Ellis, I'd be a happy camper!
    Posted by BruWingFan[/QUOTE]

And how about getting another Wellander Dan Girardi down the road ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I recall Hennessy as one of the first premier local Boston kids to shun the NCAA route in favor of Canadian junior.  He was a stud in junior and was regarded as one of Ottawa's best prospcets for what seems like a long time, and just never panned out. Interesting signing.  I guess the competition for the top-6 forward spots in Providence just got a little tougher.  Another sign that Spooner and Knight will probably see another year of junior unless they blow everyone away at camp. I like it.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

He was traded by the Hawks for Havlat (Sens) was he not? Must of had some value back then.....