Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers

Bergeron talked about defending their championship with the standard line of teams gunning for Boston this year. Fair enough. He followed by talking about how he felt something a little extra when they played Chicago, and that the effort to knock them off after a Cup win was amped up.

All this Cup hangover and "gunning" talk got me thinking. You'd think with this mentality, Cup winners would struggle the following season in general, and especially against teams they don't normally see...those teams that come in for 1-2 games and are all geeked up to beat the defending champs.

Turns out that other than Carolina, defending champs in the post-lockout era have been able to handle non-divisional opponents. All have excellent non-divisional records...all at least .500 and most well above. Nearly all have winning records against ALL divisions.

Seems like once the puck is dropped, a game is a game and the idea of a Cup hangover is a paper excuse. Chicago, Pitt, Detroit and Anaheim have been able to take care of business.

Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers

75% Excuse.  I think there is SOME hangover, simply because you have absolutely no time off compared to others who have have 1-2 months off by the time you win it all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The combination of the limited rest period and the emotional crash is legit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two different things: target on the back and cup hangover.  Both are perfectly legit in their way.  Everyone wants to beat the champ.  Whether it justifies a poor record is another question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Once again, could not "see" the game, so only have Fluto's comments so far,but looks like Caron is earning a permanent line, and Kamfer is stepping up as the 7th D. Perhaps, just musing, the second line could be Marchand/Bergeron/Caron; the 3rd could be Kelly/Seguin/Peverly; and Clark or Pouliot could be the alternate forward with time on the 4th line . Unfortunately, so far, it appears that Thornton is necessary, unless Pouliot can fill that spot and add speed and puck control. Is Pouliot tough enough?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i truly believe the real factor is the wear and tear of the extra-long season. with the parity in today's game. any team can beat any team, on any given night.  i don't think the short summer will affect the b's as much as some do. only 6 of the 18 skaters are 30+ years old. i think this youth will serve the bruins well in a quick recovery, from a physically demanding cup run. a further breakdown shows that only 2 of the 12 forwards are 30+. this means that 4 of 6 d-men are 30+... BUT that is where the b's are stocked with young talent(kampfer, bartkowski, hamilton). as we all know the older you are the longer it takes to recover, the youth will serve the bruins well!! for many years to come!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Competing in the NHL is mentally tough.  That's why fans need to accept that their team will have off nights.  The Bruins had a short off-season that was filled with hockey stuff and cup parades.  They have not had much of a mental break to build up enthusiasm.  That will bring challenges.  On the plus side, guys like Seguin and Marchand will be itching to contribute more and they have great depth, even in goal. They are built to handle the hangover as well as any team in recent years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers:
    [QUOTE]Competing in the NHL is mentally tough.  That's why fans need to accept that their team will have off nights.  The Bruins had a short off-season that was filled with hockey stuff and cup parades.  They have not had much of a mental break to build up enthusiasm.  That will bring challenges.  On the plus side, guys like Seguin and Marchand will be itching to contribute more and they have great depth, even in goal. They are built to handle the hangover as well as any team in recent years.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Spot on Oates. I can't even begin to count the number of times that fans were jumping ship last year after every 2 game losing streak. The season starts in October but the Cup isn't won until June.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : Spot on Oates. I can't even begin to count the number of times that fans were jumping ship last year after every 2 gme losing streak. The seaon starts in October but the Cup isn't won until June.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

on this site alone after the chara hit Montreal and the losing streak afterwards it was jump ship time for alot of so called fans. i think its going to be like any other season with the ups and downs of an nhl schedule, this team ulitimately is talented enough to be a top 4 seed in the east. the length of a season and all the games are enough to right the ship if there is a Stanley cup hangover.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : on this site alone after the chara hit Montreal and the losing streak afterwards it was jump ship time for alot of so called fans. i think its going to be like any other season with the ups and downs of an nhl schedule, this team ulitimately is talented enough to be a top 4 seed in the east. the length of a season and all the games are enough to right the ship if there is a Stanley cup hangover.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]
    Totally agree Loyal. Sure, I'd love to see Boston lead the league from wire to wire but that's just not realistic. As you said, like every other team, they'll have ups and downs. There will be injuries and adversity. Fortunately, the Bruins have now proven to all that they're more than up to the task.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

let the other teams come gunning for the champ bruins timmy and the boys are ready to repeat

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

To elaborate - this was more for us as fans than the players. I suppose the idea of Cup hangover and targets on their backs could be legit from a theoretical mental and physical standpoint, but the greater point is that teams with their houses in order have been able to handle it. For the most part, they are solid franchises and have risen to the challenge as defending champs. They haven't let it impact wins and losses, and I expect Boston to do the same.

Point is that it's one thing to acknowledge the added stress, but it's not an excuse for the players. I don't think the Bs would use it as such, but fans sure will and we're all in for endless talk about it if they go .500 for a stretch or slump a bit. As fans, we need to recognize that other teams have worked through it and it's not an excuse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Last season I stopped coming to this site after losses because every time they lost a game there were ship jumpers and they were starting to drive me nuts. I mean, just how many "fire Julien threads" can you really endure? I hope the fact we're reigning champs will limit that this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : Totally agree Loyal. Sure, I'd love to see Boston lead the league from wire to wire but that's just not realistic. As you said, like every other team, they'll have ups and downs. There will be injuries and adversity. Fortunately, the Bruins have now proven to all that they're more than up to the task.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    dez think about it this team is on paper every bit as good as last years team that won it all. the bruins from the trade deadline last year to the end of the regular season were 14-6-4 going into the playoffs. this is that same team(minus recchi,ryder and kaberle) add corvo,benoit pouliot and money in cap to get what they need when they see fit up to the deadline in Feb. maybe im being a bit of a homer with the bruins but this is not chicago of last year. i dont think that example fits do u. Chicago had to wave goodbye to a lot of talent(byfuglien,ladd,versteeg,eager,fraser and sopel) after winning the cup and that isnt the case here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

to me...the term hangover, was never really a good descriptor.  at the nhl level, with all the parity, it's really easy to get beat, and to avoid that, teams need to come out of the gate stoked.  They at least gotta have that.
    The competitiveness, intensity, and euphoria of a cup run, really kicks heck out of the prospects toward the 6 month grind of an upcoming meaningless 82 game regular season.
    Players are in a different place come finals time, and what we're gearing up for, can't hold a candle to that.
    Any beer league player who won a weekend tournament somewhere... knows the feeling.  The following Monday nite regular league game just isn't as exhilarating as the tournament finals, and we all know how important enthusiasm is...when it comes to winning.
    It's certainly not the kiss of death, however, it's a new issue that has to be worked through.
    To these guys, it's all about money, and the regular season is where you cement your earning power.
    I've pretty much decided that those in charge of things(CJ, PC and co.) know what they're doing, so i'm not that concerned.
    Gonna enjoy the games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : dez think about it this team is on paper every bit as good as last years team that won it all. the bruins from the trade deadline last year to the end of the regular season were 14-6-4 going into the playoffs. this is that same team(minus recchi,ryder and kaberle) add corvo,benoit pouliot and money in cap to get what they need when they see fit up to the deadline in Feb. maybe im being a bit of a homer with the bruins but this is not chicago of last year. i dont think that example fits do u. Chicago had to wave goodbye to a lot of talent(byfuglien,ladd,versteeg,eager,fraser and sopel) after winning the cup and that isnt the case here.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]
    Exactly right Loyal. Bruins and Hawks are different scenarios altogether. One team was forced to deal key players in order to stay cap-compliant. The other team is arguably replacing their lost players with better ones.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Last season I stopped coming to this site after losses because every time they lost a game there were ship jumpers and they were starting to drive me nuts. I mean, just how many "fire Julien threads" can you really endure? I hope the fact we're reigning champs will limit that this season.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Ha ! You and me both . Bet on it happening again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

"Hangover" was a good movie.  Not enough time to rest is an excuse.  Claude will need to be a task master with the players more than he has been in the past few years.  "Ryderism" will abound.  Take heart, in a league of parity, ties and shoot out wins will get you a playoff berth. I will take it, I guess.  (The regular season is a joke.)  Lastly, Oates is spot on, the youth movement as one way to transfuse the team especially in the fall where hockey is played at it's worst!   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

No excuses in hockey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Not to mention having so much less to prove.

Leaving aside the fact Thomas is nuts even for a goalie... realisticly, what does he have left to prove?
    He's won two Vezinas in 3 seasons set a record for saves in the Stanley Cup playoffs, set a modern record for Sv% in the regular season, a Jennings, a Conn-Smyth and the Cup. How many goalies in his position are getting interviewed post game 7 talking about the need to get better next year? Even guys as competetative as Chara & Bergeron have smacked the doubters in the head and really don't have much else to prove.

Guys like Seguin who was a minor cog have more to prove but hell even Marchand doesn't have much to prove he's in the top 3 rookie goal scorers with guys like Roenick and some guy named Mario.

Also, if you're reasonably in tact like the Bruins everyone has studied you like crazy, and if you aren't like Chicago you're probably not as good.

[QUOTE]The combination of the limited rest period and the emotional crash is legit.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : Spot on Oates. I can't even begin to count the number of times that fans were jumping ship last year after every 2 game losing streak. The season starts in October but the Cup isn't won until June.Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yah all you have to do is bring up the threads after the Bruins went down 2-0 against the Habs. There will always be pain during the season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teams "Guinning" for the Cup Champs - by the numbers : Yah all you have to do is bring up the threads after the Bruins went down 2-0 against the Habs. There will always be pain during the season.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Yeah San, I admit that I bookmarked a few threads from that first 3 days of the playoffs when most fans had already thrown in the towel. Remember it got to the point that there were numerous threads dedicated to who to get in the offseason in order to "become" contenders and still more dedicated to who will replace CJ (and maybe even PC......hee-hee-hee) because obviously Boston can't win with these clowns in charge........man I had a great summer!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Last season I stopped coming to this site after losses because every time they lost a game there were ship jumpers and they were starting to drive me nuts. I mean, just how many "fire Julien threads" can you really endure? I hope the fact we're reigning champs will limit that this season.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Guilty your Honor! I promise Red...NO MATTER WHAT! I will not say a derogatory thing about CJ this whole season. So; if I break it...Send me this reminder.