The "Toughness" thing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The "Toughness" thing

After watching the Bruins get outplayed physically by the Habs last night, you have to wonder how a team built on size and toughness can’t seem to use it to their advantage against a physically soft team like the Habs.

It seems like right down the line from Claude Julien to Thornton, to Campbell, to Chara, there are too many gentlemen on this team.  I am not a proponent of tons of fighting, dirty play, or old-timey brawls.  But what I would like is for Bruins players to be meaner and more confrontational against teams like the Habs.

Subban’s hit was perfectly clean, but instead of politely trying to square off and inviting him to drop the gloves, either go after him or do nothing!  The Bruins took a penalty asking for a fight while Subban ran away.  Same with Lapierre – we know this guy will back down from any challenge, so don’t stand five feet away asking for a duel.  Put a glove in his face, and another one to anyone who jumps in.  I’m not endorsing jumping Subban for a clean hit, but if you’re going to retaliate than do it in a way that makes an impact.

Even better than retaliating, is initiating.  Thornton et al are great at responding to things.  How about somebody on this team who truly starts some confrontations??  You see all these little elbows and chirping from Lapierre and Cammy and Kostitsyn and you realize that the Bruins aren’t doing enough initiating from their side.  Recchi and Krejci seemed to be the only guys on board for this last night.  Snow the goalie, come in hard on Price, start the scrums after the whistles, hit guys at every chance, be a freakin’ bully for once!

Remember how the Habs crumble when they are confronted physically?  Remember how Lucic used to own Komi, and it sucked the life out of that whole team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Re: The "Toughness" thing

Its the same thing whenever we play the caps. Its the speed that kills us and we try to defend, instead of attack. these teams dont have to be tough to succeed against us. We try to play to our defense and puck control, instead of trying to use our defense more sparingly and run and gun. We dont use the "toughness" in our Offense.

When was the last time the bruins had a break away chance? ottawa?

When was the last time the bruins out numbered their opponent in odd-man rushes?

I cant remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: The "Toughness" thing:
    [QUOTE]Its the same thing whenever we play the caps. Its the speed that kills us and we try to defend, instead of attack. these teams dont have to be tough to succeed against us. We try to play to our defense and puck control, instead of trying to use our defense more sparingly and run and gun. We dont use the "toughness" in our Offense. When was the last time the bruins had a break away chance? ottawa? When was the last time the bruins out numbered their opponent in odd-man rushes? I cant remember.
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  I have defended Julien, but they need to lose the chess match approach every game and loosen the reins a bit.  Make adjustments!

Good question too, when was the last breakaway?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to The "Toughness" thing:
    [QUOTE]After watching the Bruins get outplayed physically by the Habs last night, you have to wonder how a team built on size and toughness can’t seem to use it to their advantage against a physically soft team like the Habs.   It seems like right down the line from Claude Julien to Thornton, to Campbell, to Chara, there are too many gentlemen on this team.   I am not a proponent of tons of fighting, dirty play, or old-timey brawls.   But what I would like is for Bruins players to be meaner and more confrontational against teams like the Habs.   Subban’s hit was perfectly clean, but instead of politely trying to square off and inviting him to drop the gloves, either go after him or do nothing!   The Bruins took a penalty asking for a fight while Subban ran away.   Same with Lapierre – we know this guy will back down from any challenge, so don’t stand five feet away asking for a duel.   Put a glove in his face, and another one to anyone who jumps in.   I’m not endorsing jumping Subban for a clean hit, but if you’re going to retaliate than do it in a way that makes an impact.   Even better than retaliating, is initiating.   Thornton et al are great at responding to things.   How about somebody on this team who truly starts some confrontations??   You see all these little elbows and chirping from Lapierre and Cammy and Kostitsyn and you realize that the Bruins aren’t doing enough initiating from their side.   Recchi and Krejci seemed to be the only guys on board for this last night.   Snow the goalie, come in hard on Price, start the scrums after the whistles, hit guys at every chance, be a freakin’ bully for once!   Remember how the Habs crumble when they are confronted physically?   Remember how Lucic used to own Komi, and it sucked the life out of that whole team?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Well said Fletch ! ...you don't have to throw punches or goon it up-just F$!*ing compete. Lucic and Chara should be the rest of the NHL's worst nightmare.

Overcoaching is the worst thing you can do to a player.
    -- Dean Smith

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Habs are not soft...

The Bruins are soft -- no heart !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Fletch :

Why would there need to be a fight after a nice clean hit like Subban`s on Marchand, anyways. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Its not about the fight, Miller. Its about other teams skating around and taking liberties on our players. If Lucic got a hold of subban after that hit, i promise you subban would think twice about stepping up like again. A "message" can go a long way in the nhl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

A fact remains Habs won against  us AGAIN

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Exactly.  There is no reason why Subban has to fight after the hit.  There is also no reason why the Bruins have to behave like gentlemen all game, when physical intimidation is clearly an advantage they could carve out over the Habs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

I am just so sick of Chara not smoking anybody (legally). He just smiles at the opposition when a player tries to take him out as if is invincible and does nothing. And he should be invincible but he won't wipe out anybody to send a message or create any amount of fear in the opposition. I like his defensive play but there is so much more he could bring with his size but he simply won't do it. I don't understand.

11. This post has been removed.