The Beanpot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Beanpot

Since we're on Olympic break and I've seen enough figure skating for nine lifetimes already, I'm pumped for the Beanpot final tonight.  Anyone else...?  chirp chirp...tumbleweed...

I'm sure nobody outside of Boston cares, but it's a great tournament.

If all you care about is the Bruins, tonight's final features Ryan Fitzgerald versus Matt Benning.  Or as the more cynical fan would see it -- our obligatory Boston-region draft pick vs. our obligatory Bruins staff-family draft pick.

Go Huskies!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: The Beanpot

Anyone else notice the Northeastern fan with the wrong hand over his heart during the Anthem? Had me rolling.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I'm watching, fletch. 

Benning off to an inauspicious start (bad turnover, unforced icing).

RIP Coach Ed Burns, Massachusetts High School Hockey legend.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/10/longtime-arlington-high-school-coach-burns-dies/b8beltXxdB7alcZXk2pfZJ/story.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:[QUOTE]

RIP Coach Ed Burns, Massachusetts High School Hockey legend.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/10/longtime-arlington-high-school-coach-burns-dies/b8beltXxdB7alcZXk2pfZJ/story.html [/QUOTE]

"He was inducted into the Boston College Hall of Fame (1987), the United States Hockey Hall of Fame (1976), the Massachusetts Football Hall of Fame (1979), the Boston Garden 60th Anniversary Celebration (1988), American Hockey Coaches Association John Mariucci Award (1989), Hartford Whalers Outstanding Service Award (1990), first-ever Arlington High School Hall of Fame (1991), National High School Sports Hall of Fame (1992), and the MIAA Distinguished Service Award (1992)."

Just a few of Ed's accomplishments. One losing season in 50 years, 805 victories. My little cousin Ryan played for him, Burns was a character. Burns hated how all the private schools got all the publicity and took a lot of the local talent. Still had some good teams though.

That's five in a row for the Eagles!

Jerry York...still...THE BOSS!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since we're on Olympic break and I've seen enough figure skating for nine lifetimes already, I'm pumped for the Beanpot final tonight.  Anyone else...?  chirp chirp...tumbleweed...

I'm sure nobody outside of Boston cares, but it's a great tournament.

If all you care about is the Bruins, tonight's final features Ryan Fitzgerald versus Matt Benning.  Or as the more cynical fan would see it -- our obligatory Boston-region draft pick vs. our obligatory Bruins staff-family draft pick.

Go Huskies!

[/QUOTE]

Isn't that current Bruin staff member's son vs. former Bruin player's son? Is "Beanpot" MA slang for nepotism?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't that current Bruin staff member's son vs. former Bruin player's son? Is "Beanpot" MA slang for nepotism?

[/QUOTE]

Good point, Fitzgerald scores on both family and region.  He's a lock.  A 5'8, 175 lb lock...

Such a downer last night.  This tournament needs a NU or Harvard victory at some point. Sick of BC.

That said, I love Jerry York too.  Used to bartend for him at the Oakley Country Club in Watertown.  He was literally the nicest guy in the place.  No pretense at all.  Good sense of humor too.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Johnny Hockey!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Tell me, why do they have this tournament ? just give it to BC .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Johnny Hockey!

[/QUOTE]

Originally committed to Northeastern, before switching teams like a bum when BC had an opening!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:[QUOTE]

Tell me, why do they have this tournament ? just give it to BC . [/QUOTE]

Recruiting and tradition! Massachusetts sports traditions die hard. Like the high school football games that take place on Thanksgiving every year. Some of those games have hit a 100 games. My high school rivalry game has been played 93 times now.

It's also crazy New England Brahman, Irish tradition as well. "It's ours were keeping it because we thinks it's cool".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It did used to be better and hopefully it will be great again.  When it was in the old Garden it was fasntastic.  That place was so small and loud, and each of the four corners was packed drunken students from each school.  It was loud and rowdy and you had the sense that any of the four teams could win it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It did used to be better and hopefully it will be great again.  When it was in the old Garden it was fasntastic.  That place was so small and loud, and each of the four corners was packed drunken students from each school.  It was loud and rowdy and you had the sense that any of the four teams could win it.

[/QUOTE]

It was great at the old building. It's still good but has become predictable. BC has it locked down lately. It used to be referred to as the BU Invitational because they won it so often. Perhaps a name chnage is in order, eh?

I dislike all things BC for the most part except for their hockey program. Coach York is truly a nice man, a great coach and runs a great, clean program. That being said, I was rooting for NU. I know plenty of alums from there and it would have been nice to see a different winner. They gave it a good shot though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

because everyone used to say that about BU, and things change and they change quickly. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

one heck of a game last night. johnny hockey vs kevin roy. I think gaudreau might put up the biggest single season point total since kariya set the benchmark.