The Buffalo Squad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: The Buffalo Squad

In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad:
    [QUOTE]I think saying that Regehr is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league is a bit of a stretch. A bit, like "there is a bit of water in Lake Superior".
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Ask any fwd in the western conference.  We will get to see him him a lot.  He eliminates Hemsky with ease and he is one of the more tricky fwds around.  Regehr is starting to slow down a bit but he is a very good dman.  Would love to have him over anyone named Chara on our squad.  Top 10 in the league in the pure shut down grouping.  He would be in that grouping.
    I want your list.  Weber is a shut down dman but he is also an overall stud dman.  I am thinking more of guys like Orpik-Staal-Gill-and so on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I hear ya shupe.  A good team + Roy and some other parts should equal...a better team.  But I think there is too much competition in the east for a team like Buffalo to surge up in the standings.

And yeah, I am NOT arguing that Montador is a top-4 d-man.  He was on that team last year though, and he had comparable points and a much better +/- minus than one Tyler Myers.

Not comparing Butler/Montador to Erhoff/Regehr at present either.  But, I think Butler is developing very well and in two years will be a more complete player than either of the new guys.  They got something, but they gave up something.

The difference between the Bruins inconsistency last year and the Sabres predicted inconsistency next year comes down to the importance of the games.  The Bruins would look lathargic and indifferent in the little games, and they seemed to turn it up and play better in the big games, especially as the season wore on.  I see the Sabres doing the opposite.  Phil 'The Thrill' Vanek and company will pour in the goals against bad teams and tear through the early season games against lesser squads.  Then the scoring will dry up in big, tightly-checked games when all of the small, soft, finessey forwards will decide that driving to the net gets too ouchy.

I'll take the bet on Sabres vs. Bruins point totals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I hear ya shupe.  A good team + Roy and some other parts should equal...a better team.  But I think there is too much competition in the east for a team like Buffalo to surge up in the standings. And yeah, I am NOT arguing that Montador is a top-4 d-man.  He was on that team last year though, and he had comparable points and a much better +/- minus than one Tyler Myers. Not comparing Butler/Montador to Erhoff/Regehr at present either.  But, I think Butler is developing very well and in two years will be a more complete player than either of the new guys.  They got something, but they gave up something. The difference between the Bruins inconsistency last year and the Sabres predicted inconsistency next year comes down to the importance of the games.  The Bruins would look lathargic and indifferent in the little games, and they seemed to turn it up and play better in the big games, especially as the season wore on.  I see the Sabres doing the opposite.  Phil 'The Thrill' Vanek and company will pour in the goals against bad teams and tear through the early season games against lesser squads.  Then the scoring will dry up in big, tightly-checked games when all of the small, soft, finessey forwards will decide that driving to the net gets too ouchy. I'll take the bet on Sabres vs. Bruins point totals.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Again, until last year your assessment sounds very very familiar to ours.  I think the East is good but littered with question marks.
    Washington- Should be good, very good.
    Boston- A bit of a playoff hangover to start then guns start blazing as the season wears on.
    Tampa- I see a drop off.  I think their system has been exposed.  Can you name their 6dmen w/o looking?  Neither can I.
    Philly- I don't see it coming together.  Pronger very questionable and they lost a lot.  Leadship, skill, grit.  They are in trouble.
    Pitt- I think their goalie and dmen are strong. I believe if Sid is healthy they will be the team to beat.  Big IF though.
    Devils- I see them being good.  My sleeper team for sure.
    Montreal- same as last year.  I can see a drop off b/c I think Price was fantastic last year and may lapse a bit this year.  I think their team d is gonna be good.
    Rangers- I dont like them and I dont think they will be better than last year.
    NYI/Carolina/Florida/Leafs all fall in the same cat as last year. 

Bet is on.  I think it should be close. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Sabers are NOT better than the Bruins, Caps, Pens or Lightning.  So they might be improved, but I dont see them making a considerable jump in the standings come the playoffs, unless some really weird stuff happens. 

And actually, I think the Rangers will be better too, putting Buffalo in at least 6th overall.  Id take Lundqvist over Miller any time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Sabers are NOT better than the Bruins, Caps, Pens or Lightning.  So they might be improved, but I dont see them making a considerable jump in the standings come the playoffs, unless some really weird stuff happens.  And actually, I think the Rangers will be better too, putting Buffalo in at least 6th overall.  Id take Lundqvist over Miller any time.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

big,

i personally think tbay is gonna have a hard time making the playoffs.  3 wins in the standings between Boston and Buffalo.  Thats far from a sure thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I said Buffalo will give the B's fits this year for the Division lead. I stand by that & will say they finish in the 2-4 spot in the conference!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've been reading the thoughts of many on the Sabres.  It's not just here, but in hockey circles elsewhere.

This is the post that caused this thread to be created:

In Response to Re: pre-season power rankings:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: pre-season power rankings : You're in for a huge surprise if you think Buffalo won't be giving the B's a good run for the division. The Sabers have the pieces to also win the conference.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

The Conference!

A seventh place team adds a 19 goal scoring winger, a defenseman that was embarrassed by the B's, and Shupe's new boyfriend (he broke up with Torres after the playoffs)...and suddenly they're a scary team!

Read this thread.  People are talking about how Lindy Ruff gets more out of players, and how Paul Gaustad is a faceoff circle wizard and how Drew Stafford is a Bruin Killer and how Assault Zach Kassian might make the team as the next Lucic.

A seventh place team adds Regehr, Leino and Erhoff and now they're scary.

Oh, and keep in mind, I must not know what I'm talking about, and must not be basing this on actual knowledge.  Someone who has watched a lot more Sabres games will tell you that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" and Shupe's new boyfriend (he broke up with Torres after the playoffs)...and suddenly they're a scary team!"

Ok that was gosh darn funny! I hate not being able to cuss on BDC..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I've been reading the thoughts of many on the Sabres.  It's not just here, but in hockey circles elsewhere. This is the post that caused this thread to be created: In Response to Re: pre-season power rankings : The Conference! A seventh place team adds a 19 goal scoring winger, a defenseman that was embarrassed by the B's, and Shupe's new boyfriend (he broke up with Torres after the playoffs)...and suddenly they're a scary team! Read this thread.  People are talking about how Lindy Ruff gets more out of players, and how Paul Gaustad is a faceoff circle wizard and how Drew Stafford is a Bruin Killer and how Assault Zach Kassian might make the team as the next Lucic. A seventh place team adds Regehr, Leino and Erhoff and now they're scary. Oh, and keep in mind, I must not know what I'm talking about, and must not be basing this on actual knowledge.  Someone who has watched a lot more Sabres games will tell you that.

Was that for the Eklund remark. 

NAS- 3 more wins than the Sabres.  That's it.  I personally think Ruff whines but seems to get them to play above the talent he has been afforded. 
    My point is that any team with a world class goalie who adds two top 4 dmen to play with Myers has already vastly improved.  
    Erhoff a offensive dman who notched 50 pts was exposed by a Bruins team.  So were the Sedins.  Do they suck now? 
    Regehr is someone I have always liked.  Could he replace Torres.  Possibly with this peanut gallery.  Bottom line is that he is a top 4 shut down leader.  I think the east is an ideal division for him. 
    Anyone have that list who rated Chara and Gill as the hardest to play against.  I wanna know where RR is rated.  That may shut Fatty McLoudmouth up for a minute.  Obviously you live on the east coast and don't get HNIC.  Well I watch a lot of Flames gms and think he is solid. 

Up front I agree they havent named a house hold allstar.  They OP for Leino but he is a better bet than Connolly.  I also don't think you are giving any kind of credit to their prospects.  Did you think Marchand was gonna go crazy like he did this year.  Buffalo has a nice group of newbies. 

Any team be it the Oliers or Canucks that adds 2 top 4 dmen and a top 6 fwd is gonna get better.  Buffalo was 7 pts behind Boston in the standings. 

Lets revisit when RR runs over a Bruin and we can talk some more at the 20 gm mark.  My call is a top 3 finish and more pts than the Bruins.  Whats your call NASster

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad :   My call is a top 3 finish and more pts than the Bruins.  Whats your call NASster
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

No better than sixth!

Yes, we can look at the whole "three wins" theory.  Let's also look at the fact that they got beat by Philly and then Philly got smoked by the team that had a minisucle three more wins.

The absolute best part about this subject is that, unlike most of the la la la that we talk about here, this will be decided!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I've got SanDog, Bookboy, Kelvana, 75% of Fletcher, seobrien, Oatescam and Wheatskins.  I'm pretty comfortable with my original post when I have that group standing behind my statement. Who do you have?  Shupe, Nite and who else?  I see you defending your point a lot, but not really much from others.

If you say so.

You need to re-read Fletcher and BB's first post. I believe they both indicated that the Sabre's will be better. And you conveniently left out a host of others who also said the same.

Wheatskin also said they'd be better. If you take his mistake of saying from 8th to 7th . Then you're right . They did finish 7th.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Actually, it is all still crazy.  People (like you) have spent a lot of time talking about players that were on the team last season.  They finished seventh last season.  Now we have an addition of Leino and Erhoff and Regehr propelling them to fourth or even first! Please save your "you don't watch them enough" comments for someone else.  As an AHL fan, I spend a tremendous amount of time in Providence, Manchester, Portand and Worcester.  I've seen plenty of games of plenty of Sabres and am well versed in this topic. Here's the best part:  We can actually see how it all turns out!  I say the Sabres will finish no higher than sixth.  And you?

You have just indicated that they could go as high as 6th . They finished 7th last year . Doesn't this mean they will have gotten better ?

I have said they will be better and are on the rise. Nothing more . No Stanley cup. Not better then the Bruins with more points . Where they will finish. Winning the Conference. Just a team that is getting better.

btw does predicting and getting it wrong or right make someone look smarter or stupider ? I'm surprised you even went there . It falls in the same category as fantasy trades IMO. Useless !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

. BTW this is like one of those TLDR posts and I wouldn't blame anyone for not reading this. Short novel posts take too long to read.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

i read this whole post, dead-on analysis Buffalo will be a very strong team this season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My original statement:  "I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh."

Your reply:

[QUOTE]Hey NAS this is a good topic . I hope you're not upset that I have multiple posts on your thread . I don't think there are a lot of posters who see it your way yet. Somehow the stuff you read isn't so crazy afterall considering there are some really good posters making comments on how they like the Sabres lineup this year.

And then a whole host of people agreed with me. So I asked this:

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I've got SanDog, Bookboy, Kelvana, 75% of Fletcher, seobrien, Oatescam and Wheatskins.  I'm pretty comfortable with my original post when I have that group standing behind my statement. Who do you have?  Shupe, Nite and who else?  I see you defending your point a lot, but not really much from others.

And your response?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : If you say so. You need to re-read Fletcher and BB's first post. I believe they both indicated that the Sabre's will be better. And you conveniently left out a host of others who also said the same. Wheatskin also said they'd be better. If you take his mistake of saying from 8th to 7th . Then you're right . They did finish 7th.

Refresher:

"I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh."

Nice job trying to change the subject after looking like a fool.  It didn't work, however.  In good faith, I'll let this burst of stupidity go by the wayside.  You should let your contributions here ring out as a reminder of how dumb you can make yourself look when you try to twist my words.

Your best bet:  Ignore this thread, and refrain from going down this path again.  It'll only end badly for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : . BTW this is like one of those TLDR posts and I wouldn't blame anyone for not reading this. Short novel posts take too long to read. Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE] i read this whole post, dead-on analysis Buffalo will be a very strong team this season
    Posted by BostonFan07[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir. Glad you liked it . I don't spend a lot of time in AHL rinks but I do watch the Sabres.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : No better than sixth! Yes, we can look at the whole "three wins" theory.  Let's also look at the fact that they got beat by Philly and then Philly got smoked by the team that had a minisucle three more wins. The absolute best part about this subject is that, unlike most of the la la la that we talk about here, this will be decided!

Playoffs, Playoffs, You are Talking about Playoffs!!!   I still love that. 

You have down no better than 6th.  I have them 3rd and more pts than the Bruins.  Any stipulations?  Pretty clear to me.  Obviously we both could be wrong and you are smart enough for me to not explain where that would be. 

NAS- you are almost as fun as proline.  Now I have more reason to watch more hockey this year. 
    So a breakdown for the meatheads that are reading one post and commenting. 
    1.  Torres and I broke up. 
    2.  I am now dating Regehr.
    3.  Sabres finish at least 3rd and more pts than the Bruins.
    4.  Sheldon Souray has a bounce back year and will out point Wiz if healthy.
    5.  NAS is Eklund, Eklund is NAS.  Followed by the Crying Game Song.
    6.  NAS new nickname is Fatty McLoudMouth

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]My original statement:  "I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh." Your reply: And then a whole host of people agreed with me. So I asked this: And your response? Refresher: "I don't think the additions of Leino and Erhoff are going to propel this team much futher than last season, when they finished seventh." Nice job trying to change the subject after looking like a fool.  It didn't work, however.  In good faith, I'll let this burst of stupidity go by the wayside.  You should let your contributions here ring out as a reminder of how dumb you can make yourself look when you try to twist my words. Your best bet:  Ignore this thread, and refrain from going down this path again.  It'll only end badly for you.

I read a lot of your posts . This was a post that had a lot of mumble jumble and threats. Not one of your finer efforts.

I'm glad you had time to fit in one of your classic lines though. If all else fails , threaten who you are corresponding with.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : Playoffs, Playoffs, You are Talking about Playoffs!!!   I still love that.  You have down no better than 6th.  I have them 3rd and more pts than the Bruins.  Any stipulations?  Pretty clear to me.  Obviously we both could be wrong and you are smart enough for me to not explain where that would be.  NAS- you are almost as fun as proline.  Now I have more reason to watch more hockey this year.  So a breakdown for the meatheads that are reading one post and commenting.  1.  Torres and I broke up.  2.  I am now dating Regehr. 3.  Sabres finish at least 3rd and more pts than the Bruins. 4.  Sheldon Souray has a bounce back year and will out point Wiz if healthy. 5.  NAS is Eklund, Eklund is NAS.  Followed by the Crying Game Song. 6.  NAS new nickname is Fatty McLoudMouth
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Coffee spewed all over the monitor. This post was Badhab-like. Funny !!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : I read a lot of your posts . This was a post that had a lot of mumble jumble and threats. Not one of your finer efforts. I'm glad you had time to fit in one of your classic lines though. If all else fails , threaten who you are corresponding with.

No threats at all!  I'm trying to help you out so you can enjoy the season and (hopefully) a long playoff run with us this year.  It's too bad you missed the fun last season.  I'd hate for that to have to happen again.

Of course, it's all up to you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Buffalo Squad : No threats at all!  I'm trying to help you out so you can enjoy the season and (hopefully) a long playoff run with us this year.  It's too bad you missed the fun last season.  I'd hate for that to have to happen again. Of course, it's all up to you.

You are repeating yourself again^^^^. Entertain me with hockey talk or I'll go play some Proline .

Still laughing over Fatty McLoudmouth . Sounds like a character from MacDonald's. Good one, eh ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

As i said before, i don't think they'll make the playoffs. It's going to come down to the wire between them,Toronto and carolina for the last playoff spot. Don't forget NJ has Parise back this year, I don't think Buffalo has enough scoring to fend those teams off. I understand they had 3 less wins than the Bruins this year, but they also had the fewest wins of any playoff team in the NHL last year, and got knocked out by a depleted, injured, weak goaltending Flyers team.  Habs went out and got Cole, they'll get in with goaltending and their power play alone, and I'll also go as far to say it would not shock me if Lindy Ruff doesn't finish the season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Sabres are a very good hockey club as most NHL teams are these days. ''salary cap parity'' if you think the sabres 3rd and 4th lines aren't that good think again! they are bona-fied playoff team, and i would not be surprised one bit if they happen to beat the Bruins in a wild playoff series. that's hockey!.......I'm sure the best coach in the leage Claude julian would agree.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Sabres are a very good hockey club as most NHL teams are these days. ''salary cap parity'' if you think the sabres 3rd and 4th lines aren't that good think again! they are bona-fied playoff team, and i would not be surprised one bit if they happen to beat the Bruins in a wild playoff series. that's hockey!.......I'm sure the best coach in the leage Claude julian would agree.....
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]

Why?

Explain.  Opinions are much more interesting when accompanied by reasoning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This was one of the best posts in a long time that sparked a lot of good back and forth debate... and sadly has degenerated to cheap shots.

Since I'll be pressed if I don't choose a side, I'll go with the NAS argument. Overpaid additions, lead to subtractions somewhere else... success in today's NHL starts with Cap mangement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]This was one of the best posts in a long time that sparked a lot of good back and forth debate... and sadly has degenerated to cheap shots. Since I'll be pressed if I don't choose a side, I'll go with the NAS argument. Overpaid additions, lead to subtractions somewhere else... success in today's NHL starts with Cap mangement.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

True, to a point. I think sucess starts with a good core of players, solid goaltending and timely secondary scoring. I think buffalo has a good core, obviously solid goaltending but it's the secondary scoring in general that they have to overcome.