The Lucic Issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

The Lucic Issue

For whatever reason for close to two plus years Lucic has been getting a free pass not just by Bruins fans but by coaching and management as well.  

Before anyone jumps on the "Lucic scored 30 goals last year" tangent let's analyze his stats and his play.  Despite his 30 goals and spot on the number one PP line all last year, he still only scored 62 points.  

Let's also take into account the only time this guy was visible throughout the entire playoff run last year was when his bad plays and lack of physically intensity were so obvious everyone noticed it.  Not to mention the fact that if you take his three season goal total from the three years prior to last year, Lucic only scored 34 goals combined.

Lucic earned his big contract by being physical, taking the body on every shift, winning battles for pucks and striking fear and second guessing into opponents each and every game.  After Lucic got paid it seems as though he's decided he no longer wants to be physical, instead he seems like he is content trying to score 15-30 goals a year, maybe 50-65 points and above all else avoid injury.

4+ million a year for a passive player that doesn't create offense for his teamates, that doesn't penatly kill and that doesn't hit or play physical doesn't deserve to be on the number one line nor the number one power play unit.

This doesn't mean Lucic sucks.  What it means is Lucic needs a wake up call and he needs to be reminded that you have to EARN your spot on the number one line and number one power play unit.  

Most importantly Lucic needs the message sent to him by coaching and management that he is not Ovehcekin, Stamkos, etc... and that the Bruins rewarded him with that big contract expecting him to be the physical, intimidating prescence that strikes fear into the opposing team every time his skates come over the boards.

Until this time comes it's time to maybe send Lucic to the press box for a game or two or at the very least move him off the power play and down to the number 3 line until he EARNS his way back to those units by his play.

Lucic isn't the first professional athelete to mail it in after getting paid but the Bruins do have other guys on the team and in the system that have more offensive upside than Lucic (i.e. Seguin) that also certainly have the drive and desire that seems to be absent from Lucic's game for years running now.

Send this guy a message and get him going or seek to trade him because another $4M this year and next for this version of Lucic combined with him taking first line and first PP time away from more skilled players shouldn't be allowed to continue.

If when Krecji comes back Seguin is moved back down to the third line, despite him by far being the Bruins most dangerous player every game this year so far, so that Lucic gets to keep his spot on the #1 line and PP unit, I'm gonna throw up.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: The Lucic Issue

You're not wrong in priciple.  Free pass is a bit over the top because last year was the first year of the big contract, and he scored 30 goals for the first time in his career and played on the first line of a cup winner - and was noticeable on one or two key game winners despite his underwhelming playoffs.  But he does need a wake up call. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wake up, but not crucify. I've been criticized because I do not believe that Claude's staff does anything but what Claude dictates. ok, he's the Coach, so maybe Claude needs to become more responsible for stimulating those on the team that need it. Certainly someone has to take ownership for how this team plays. The "system" is only one aspect; stimulation and preparedness are two necessary ingredients. Granted, some of these players, young or older, are making exceptional incomes, and may just tune the coach out. We've seen what it can do with the REd Sox, let's not see a repeat with the Bruins. They won last year because they were all together in their focus. A return to that is demanded, and should be a major portion of the entire coaching staff.buffalo replaced it's entire staff under Ruff, maybe that's a consideration.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue:
    [QUOTE]Wake up, but not crucify. I've been criticized because I do not believe that Claude's staff does anything but what Claude dictates. ok, he's the Coach, so maybe Claude needs to become more responsible for stimulating those on the team that need it. Certainly someone has to take ownership for how this team plays. The "system" is only one aspect; stimulation and preparedness are two necessary ingredients. Granted, some of these players, young or older, are making exceptional incomes, and may just tune the coach out. We've seen what it can do with the REd Sox, let's not see a repeat with the Bruins. They won last year because they were all together in their focus. A return to that is demanded, and should be a major portion of the entire coaching staff.buffalo replaced it's entire staff under Ruff, maybe that's a consideration.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Toronto also replaced their assistants. I think after winning a Stanley Cup the B's staff has earned a mulligan for awhile anyway.I'm not saying that's right, i just think thats how it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

Bobforte,
    excellent post and topic. I have been told that sometimes my patience is short, but I have had it with Lucic's lack of energy and motivation. He can do alot better than that and we have the right to expect it.
    Another underperforming player (and please don't jump at me yet) is Bergeron. Aside from his defensive side, he's play shows no offense capability what so ever. He should have never been elected to be a shooter in the Chicago shoot-out (which we won by a miracle).
    If Bergeron is good in defense, then he should play defense and let other forwards take his place, who are willing and able to crush the net and screen the goalie.
    Last night the only one who dared screen Ward, was Marchand.

Bruins Power Play, is everything except power. I don't know who's responsible for such long on-going failure; the problem is much too evident, their system extremely predictable and thus easy to defend against. Surprise element is totally lacking.
    If our PP units can't change or adjust to a new method, then change the unit.
    If there is no new method, then change the PP coach.

I'am out of patience and the whole performance this season so far is just intollerable in every respect.
    Someone must take ownership and either shape up or shape out.
    Enough's enough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]Bobforte, excellent post and topic. I have been told that sometimes my patience is short, but I have had it with Lucic's lack of energy and motivation. He can do alot better than that and we have the right to expect it. Another underperforming player (and please don't jump at me yet) is Bergeron. Aside from his defensive side, he's play shows no offense capability what so ever. He should have never been elected to be a shooter in the Chicago shoot-out (which we won by a miracle). If Bergeron is good in defense, then he should play defense and let other forwards take his place, who are willing and able to crush the net and screen the goalie. Last night the only one who dared screen Ward, was Marchand. Bruins Power Play, is everything except power. I don't know who's responsible for such long on-going failure; the problem is much too evident, their system extremely predictable and thus easy to defend against. Surprise element is totally lacking. If our PP units can't change or adjust to a new method, then change the unit. If there is no new method, then change the PP coach. I'am out of patience and the whole performance this season so far is just intollerable in every respect. Someone must take ownership and either shape up or shape out. Enough's enough.
    Posted by Bruin1972[/QUOTE]

Gonna have to disagree on this one.  Bergeron is one of the best offensive players we have.  He's not flashy by any means, but he has subtle moves that open up lanes and allow him to surprise defenders with his passes.  He scores a lot more goals than Krecji.  His shot never came back to being as good as it was before the big concussion and yes, he focuses more on creating for his linemates and being a safety valve than he does on attacking the net.  I for one thinks that Claude encourages him to be a shut down guy and so thats what he focuses on.  If his coach was telling him to take it to the net and beat people one on one he would do that.  He's that kind of team player.

As for the shootout, he is one of our best.  I don't even think that is debatable.  Who else do you think should be ahead of him besides Seguin?  Lucic and Horton are pure shooters, not deke'rs, and I'm assuming you aren't suggesting to put some 3rd and 4th line players into the mix.  Chara? come on man. You are over-reacting

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to address the two separately....

Everybody wants to see Lucic be more physical and yes I think he can do better in that respect, but the rest that original post slamming him just doesn't add up.  He put up 62 points last year, and 30 goals as a 23 year old and you are complaining?  Show me some other players out there making under $4M that are doing more on a consistent basis.  If anything his passing game is under-rates because he at times makes looks that the average player would not.  And when his shot gets going he's going to net some goals.  He's one of the few guys on the team that can flat out beat the goalie with his shot (along with Seguin and Horton).  He may not score 30+ every year, but I think he is a lock for over 25 and at least that many assists, along with more of a physical presence than you give him credit for.   I think he is a little careless at times and makes some bad turnovers but other than that I don't see that he is a offensively deficient player by any means.  To even suggest trading him is lunacy.

He basically put up the same numbers as Kessel (all star) did last year without being a total pu$$ --- for less money.  What exactly are you complaining about?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Trade him to Vancouver straight up for Kesler.( Lucic would love playing in for his home town Vancouver) I would be a happy camper. Or Lucic and Caron for Nash.  I have no regrets trading Lucic in package deal to get top notch player, or straight up for Eberle. He would definitely be a eye opener for GM's trade market. Just do not trade him to an eastern conference team.

Kesler Krejci Horton not a bad line
    Eberle Krejci Seguin our future 1st line
    Nash Krejci Seguin another 1st line

Lots of options with Lucic but this is 50/50 pipe dream

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I would love Kesler but there is no way Vanocuver trades him straight up for Milan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I think Milan lucic gets out of bed wanting to hit people and run into things. If he's not, then he's doing what he's instructed to do.

"despite his 30 goals" ...not a fair comment

The lack of physical play is a legit gripe, but Lucic is just one on a long list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I can't figure Lucic out at this point. I never thought any of us would ever question his energy and motivation, but he looks like he's not interested anymore. He's got to raise his play a notch or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry for the double post, but wanted to address the two separately.... Everybody wants to see Lucic be more physical and yes I think he can do better in that respect, but the rest that original post slamming him just doesn't add up.  He put up 62 points last year, and 30 goals as a 23 year old and you are complaining?  Show me some other players out there making under $4M that are doing more on a consistent basis.  If anything his passing game is under-rates because he at times makes looks that the average player would not.  And when his shot gets going he's going to net some goals.  He's one of the few guys on the team that can flat out beat the goalie with his shot (along with Seguin and Horton).  He may not score 30+ every year, but I think he is a lock for over 25 and at least that many assists, along with more of a physical presence than you give him credit for.   I think he is a little careless at times and makes some bad turnovers but other than that I don't see that he is a offensively deficient player by any means.  To even suggest trading him is lunacy. He basically put up the same numbers as Kessel (all star) did last year without being a total pu$$ --- for less money.  What exactly are you complaining about?
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

What am I complaining about? You fail to address his complete no show for the playoffs.  You fail to address that he's lacked any where near the level of intensity and desire to play physical since his 2nd full year in a Bruins uniform. 

Comparing him to Phil Kessel is a joke.  Kessel was a top round pick with huge offensive upside that's underperforming.  We got a couple of players for him if I remember.  You want to compare Lucic to Kessel okay, find me the GM that would give you 2 first rounders and a 2nd for Lucic.  Please, the Bruins would get laughed at if they asked for that type of return on Lucic.  

The Bruins didn't give Lucic $4M+to score 25 goals.  They gave it to him to score some goals but most importantly to be the dominant physical player he's shown he's capable of being that strikes fear into all the opponents he faces. If you think with his hands, his speed and now lack of physical intensity and what looks like lack of desire that he's a lock in for 25-35 goals a year you're nuts.

I'd much rather take the Bruins $4M they are paying Lucic and go get a legit skating defensiveman. I certainly woulnd't resign him for that same figure and I doubt the Bruins would either.  Who''d you rather have Marchand or Lucic?  I think that answer is easy on a number of fronts.  The only area Lucic might have over Marchand is physical play but there's a big no on that one as Marchand has been much involved physically and in the intimidation/aggitator department than Lucic has.  Do we win the cup last year without Lucic, I say probably.  Do we win it without Marchand, no way.

As for underrating his physical play please tell me the last time you saw him hit anyone?  Last night's game was the first game he's had more than one hit this year and let's not get into his complete physical no show the entire playoffs last year.

A poorly skating physical player that doesn't create offense for his teamates that scores 40-55 points aint worth $4M a year and he certainly shouldn't be on the number one line and PP units they way he's currently playing.

Get back to me at the end of the year when Lucic scores his 30 goals again (not happening) and when he is a physical intimadting force again in the regular season and the playoffs (again nothing suggest that part of his game is ever coming back either).

Note, Lucic doesn't suck. That's not my point.  My point is to get him off the number one line and number one PP unit and try to work him out of his funk and lack of intensity.  If you can't do it than keeping him on the roster this year and next at $4M a whack to play the zero intensity game he's playing (and has been for years now) and to score 40-55 points is just too much.

If he's so coveted and awesome than I guess we won't have any problems getting value for him if we seek to trade him.  The Bruins have plenty of talent  in the minors and in juniors at the wing position not to mention some cap space.  They would be better off getting assets for Lucic, getting rid of his bloated salary while they can, using the $4M to fix other problems and giving their younger players a shot at developing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : What am I complaining about? You fail to address his complete no show for the playoffs.  You fail to address that he's lacked any where near the level of intensity and desire to play physical since his 2nd full year in a Bruins uniform.  Comparing him to Phil Kessel is a joke.  Kessel was a top round pick with huge offensive upside that's underperforming.  We got a couple of players for him if I remember.  You want to compare Lucic to Kessel okay, find me the GM that would give you 2 first rounders and a 2nd for Lucic.  Please, the Bruins would get laughed at if they asked for that type of return on Lucic.   The Bruins didn't give Lucic $4M+to score 25 goals.  They gave it to him to score some goals but most importantly to be the dominant physical player he's shown he's capable of being that strikes fear into all the opponents he faces. If you think with his hands, his speed and now lack of physical intensity and what looks like lack of desire that he's a lock in for 25-35 goals a year you're nuts. I'd much rather take the Bruins $4M they are paying Lucic and go get a legit skating defensiveman. I certainly woulnd't resign him for that same figure and I doubt the Bruins would either.  Who''d you rather have Marchand or Lucic?  I think that answer is easy on a number of fronts.  The only area Lucic might have over Marchand is physical play but there's a big no on that one as Marchand has been much involved physically and in the intimidation/aggitator department than Lucic has.  Do we win the cup last year without Lucic, I say probably.  Do we win it without Marchand, no way. As for underrating his physical play please tell me the last time you saw him hit anyone?  Last night's game was the first game he's had more than one hit this year and let's not get into his complete physical no show the entire playoffs last year. A poorly skating physical player that doesn't create offense for his teamates that scores 40-55 points aint worth $4M a year and he certainly shouldn't be on the number one line and PP units they way he's currently playing. Get back to me at the end of the year when Lucic scores his 30 goals again (not happening) and when he is a physical intimadting force again in the regular season and the playoffs (again nothing suggest that part of his game is ever coming back either). Note, Lucic doesn't suck. That's not my point.  My point is to get him off the number one line and number one PP unit and try to work him out of his funk and lack of intensity.  If you can't do it than keeping him on the roster this year and next at $4M a whack to play the zero intensity game he's playing (and has been for years now) and to score 40-55 points is just too much. If he's so coveted and awesome than I guess we won't have any problems getting value for him if we seek to trade him.  The Bruins have plenty of talent  in the minors and in juniors at the wing position not to mention some cap space.  They would be better off getting assets for Lucic, getting rid of his bloated salary while they can, using the $4M to fix other problems and giving their younger players a shot at developing.
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]
    Let's see, in the 1st year of his new deal Lucic leads the team in goals and hits on the way to the team's first Cup win in 39 years. Now you want to suggest trading him because of a poor start to the season(6 games). Suggesting a trade now makes no sense at all. Tell me, do you attempt to trade in your car when it just needs an oil change? . I won't bother writing a long and elegant post like your Lucic-basher since it takes less space to write a post inspired by common sense and something resembling patience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

"he only scored 62 points." wasn't that tied for the team lead on the stanley cup winning team? ya, only 62 points

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]Lucic           Krejci         Horton Marchand    Bergeron     Seguin Kelly           Peverley      Caron Paille          Campbell     Thornton Chara       Seidenberg Ference    Boychuk Kampfer    McQuaid Pouliot, Corvo That would be my lineup.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't sit Corvo. He's been solid from what I've seen. Playing much better than Ferrence...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : I wouldn't sit Corvo. He's been solid from what I've seen. Playing much better than Ferrence...
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

especially considering there is no one named ferrence on the bruins roster

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Lucic needs the message sent to him by coaching and management that he is not Ovehcekin, Stamkos, etc..."

And he isn't paid like them either so lets look at some players who scored around the same amount of points as Lucic last year...

Havlat $5M for the same amount of points, Kovalchuk 60 points for $6M, Heatley $8M, Backstrom $6M, Datsyuk $6.7M all around the same points as Milan.

I understand the frustration the way the Bruins are playing but overpaid ? Big contract ?   

Ahh no...and no one I mentioned above (that also scores) can separate a player from the puck  or put fear into a player like Lucic can (that also scores) when he is not in a slump and he is in a slump right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]"Lucic needs the message sent to him by coaching and management that he is not Ovehcekin, Stamkos, etc..." And he isn't paid like them either so lets look at some players who scored around the same amount of points as Lucic last year... Havlat $5M for the same amount of points, Kovalchuk 60 points for $6M, Heatley $8M, Backstrom $6M, Datsyuk $6.7M all around the same points as Milan. I understand the frustration the way the Bruins are playing but overpaid ? Big contract ?    Ahh no...and no one I mentioned above (that also scores) can separate a player from the puck  or put fear into a player like Lucic can (that also scores) when he is not in a slump and he is in a slump right now.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Oh no San, now you've done it! What were you thinking trying to bring common sense into the debate?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Lucic Issue : I wouldn't sit Corvo. He's been solid from what I've seen. Playing much better than Ferrence...
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    It was good to see Kaberle play again, i forgot what he brought to the table ( nothing). At least i did see him take a shot, i think. $4 mil a year for that, amazing. Getting to the cap floor has helped a lot of mediocre player's pocket books, i'll say that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to The Lucic Issue:
    He's always been a bit of a knuckle-head. He frequently forgets what makes him good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Lucic made the team in his rookie year by taking the body and creating space for those who could score.  Since then and culminting to last year's breakout season, he has not taken the body in order to shoot on net.  Does that translate into a change in his play?  IMO yes.  In addition, he suffered through a set of injuries two years ago.  Lucic needs to forget that year.  In a "chaos theory" analysis, Lucic should occassoinally take the hit, be out of postion, and rattle the defensemen with hard checks.  He may not be Ovechkin but he is Lucic, revisting his rookie year play would be a nice change.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Lucic wasn't non-existant during the playoffs last year, would they have won more...Cups?

Nothing to complain about so complain about nothing.

Paid like a second liner, scores like a first liner, hits like a third liner and fights like a fourth liner.

Every single team in the NHL wants Milan Lucic.

This thread is downright stupid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Lucic looks frustrated and angry out there......especially last night. Off to a slow start, but I think he'll come around soon enough. Just hope he can avoid any more injuries.....he's had some nagging ones over the last couple of seasons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If Lucic wasn't non-existant during the playoffs last year, would they have won more...Cups? Nothing to complain about so complain about nothing. Paid like a second liner, scores like a first liner, hits like a third liner and fights like a fourth liner. Every single team in the NHL wants Milan Lucic. This thread is downright stupid.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I love this post! It should say that on the back of Lucic T-shirts.