The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently

bloge salming and DGB are so awesome

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently : Don't forget Jeff Finger.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Burke tried to deal Finger to Bowman - listen in on the phone call...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkmNaP9EaM

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

1 - Matt Cooke; 2 - Matt Cooke; 3 - Matt Cooke; 4 - Matt Cooke; 5 - Matt Cooke

But seriously arrange however;
    JS Giguere
    Sheldon Souray
    Rick DiPietro
    Sean Avery
    and yes - Matt Cooke

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Phil Kessel

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Michael Nylander pulls down 3 million playing for Rochester from the Caps. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

[QUOTE]Campbells contract along with Huet and even the Hossa Deal kept Chicago from being a dominant dynasty in the NHL for years to come...Really think they could have won the cup with out those 3...definitely without Campbell and Heut
    Posted by rockett7[/QUOTE]
    Probably even without Hossa.  If they didn't make those 3 stupid signings they would still have Byfuglien, Ladd, Verteeg, and Barker.  I'll bet theyd be damn near first in the league and on their way to another cup final!! (Only to be disapointed by the B's of course)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

id rather have campbell and hossa over Ladd/Buff/Vertseeg and Barker. 
    And maybe Chicago never wins the cup without campbell and hossa.  In fact its more than likely they dont win it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The Khabibulin deal was bad. Injury prone when Oilers signed him, I'll never understand how anyone ever gives this guy more than a 1 year deal.

Souray is up there, Horcoff....I see a trend here. Bad contracts lead you to bad places..

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On the one hand, you can probably look at this and say that a team can absorb a bad contract.  It happens - and sometimes you have to live with a guy's declining performance in the later years of a deal or even when he has an off year.  But when you have Yashin AND DiPietro, you're starting to have some real handcuffs.  Horcoff AND Souray AND (to a lesser extent) Khabibulin.

That said, the problem with those teams isn't so much the money they have tied up in guys who aren't performing - it's that those guys aren't performing.  They were paid to play a key role and they aren't playing it.  If Yashin was playing like his best years in Ottawa, the Isles would be a different team - softer, but more skilled.  If Souray made the Oil PP better by pumping in 15ppg per year, and Horcoff was a 70+ point guy like they thought he'd be, the Oil wouldn't be wondering if this is the year they draft the anchor for their D corps or go back for more forwards.  We get too hung up on money as fans - the issue is never the money as much as the misidentification of talent.

For all that the Oil, Rangers, and Isles are world leaders in giving too much money to the wrong guys, they are far less bothered by the Cap than the Bruins, Flyers, Canucks, Capitals, Sharks - in other words, teams at the top of the league.  Even the Rangers have almost $2M in space thanks to the demotion of Redden and finding some chucklehead to take Gomez.  The money isn't the reason they're stuck at the bottom of the league.  Lack of talent is.

Go ahead and add Marian Gaborik to the list of bad signings by the Rangers.  Terrible, stupid idea to sign a guy who is so fragile to that deal.  Spezza is horribly overpaid for what he does.  And yeah, JBo isn't the defensive side force Chara is, yet he's paid like a dominant defenseman and he isn't at either end of the ice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]Phil Kessel
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten about this one.  I think it's far worsde then the Ryder contract, although he is a better player then Ryder, for that investment I think you need to either be a complete player or a leader in addition to being a scorer.  If you allow us to consider the compensation to be paid in order to get him, he may very well be up in the Yashin category.  He probably will never reach the Lindros category in that respect though.

Just to be clear Lindros was a great player, Kessel is a very good offensive player.  Neither will end up better then the compensation paid for them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently : Probably even without Hossa.  If they didn't make those 3 stupid signings they would still have Byfuglien, Ladd, Verteeg, and Barker.  I'll bet theyd be damn near first in the league and on their way to another cup final!! (Only to be disapointed by the B's of course)
    Posted by s2e42o[/QUOTE]

Okay, they are not great contracts, but these guys do far more than you think. Hossa scored the OT winner last night, and was involved in so many plays. He's on the ice in every situation, because he is a great talent. He might not be great this year, but like Briere in Philly, his time will come, and you'll all be going "what a great player". He's big, strong, super talented, and works as hard as anyone on the ice. 
    Campbell is a very solid Dman. Over paid yes, but I'd take him on my team in a heart beat. As Bookboy007 discussed, who cares about the money. It's about performance, and the Hawks won the Cup with these guys, so they weren't passengers during the run. 

As far as the contract itself, did they have any real option? If they didn't give them the $, then someone else would have, and maybe they don't win the Cup. 

The end result is the Goal. And right now, I'd take those contracts on to Win this now, and who cares about 5 or 10 years from now. I'll bytch and complain then.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The NHL 5 Worst Contracts Currently : I had forgotten about this one.  I think it's far worsde then the Ryder contract, although he is a better player then Ryder, for that investment I think you need to either be a complete player or a leader in addition to being a scorer.  If you allow us to consider the compensation to be paid in order to get him, he may very well be up in the Yashin category.  He probably will never reach the Lindros category in that respect though. Just to be clear Lindros was a great player, Kessel is a very good offensive player.  Neither will end up better then the compensation paid for them.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

You are right about Lindros. He did win the Hart one year which is more hardware then Kessel ever will unless they create a trophy for Most One Dimensional Player.....