The Prodigal!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Prodigal!

Worried the Bruins don't have plans to fill the void if Savard is out for any length of time?  Don't be!  This from NHL.com  http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=17

'Given the amount of talent up front, the Bruins could still turn their attention to the defense corps. One possible addition up front could come from within -- 2007 first-round pick www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474045">Zach Hamill has 28 points in 44 games for the Providence Bruins.

"The last 5-6 weeks the reports have been very positive, and I saw it for myself,” Chiarelli said to the Herald of Hamill. “I think he’s turned a corner and he’s playing with confidence. So you may see him at some point."'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: The Prodigal!

So, I am going to predict Hamill is awful.  My predictions su@k so, Hamill may have a chance to be another Marchand.  In reality, Hamill is worth a two week tryout.  if not then the trade deadline is three weeks away.  Based on previous trade deadline deals the past few years, not much will be coming to fill the void of Savard.  As I have stated in another thread, Seguin is the prime mover in his chance to make an impact in these same few weeks.  Me thinks PC will be looking for a pp defensemen.  Rent a "veteran" like Kaberle.  The mantra: keep the picks like last year.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I had a lot of fun making jokes about Hamill all last summer.  I would be thrilled to be completely wrong.  I saw him play against Worcester last Saturday night.  He looked okay.  He didn't stand out (good or bad) but did play with...ready?...an edge.  He was in the rough housing mix a couple of times and had some decent body contact out there.

How much of a gift would that be if he came up and filled in nicely?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Darn it Zack was going to be the center piece of trade thread I was about to start. Just when you think yah have this armchair GM thing figured out Bish writes an article like this I'll have to start all over now...

Doubtful PC was going to resign Hamill after this year so I would actually like to see what Zack can do with the right talent around him. I always would point to Dan Cleary Hawks gave up on him, the Oilers gave him a shot gave up then Ken Holland gave him a shot and it turned out ok not what was projected when selected in the first round but it finally turned around to be a good fit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to The Prodigal!:
    [QUOTE]Worried the Bruins don't have plans to fill the void if Savard is out for any length of time?  Don't be!  This from NHL.com  http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=17 'Given the amount of talent up front, the Bruins could still turn their attention to the defense corps. One possible addition up front could come from within -- 2007 first-round pick www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474045 "> Zach Hamill has 28 points in 44 games for the Providence Bruins. "The last 5-6 weeks the reports have been very positive, and I saw it for myself,” Chiarelli said to the Herald of Hamill. “I think he’s turned a corner and he’s playing with confidence. So you may see him at some point."'
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

A young center with skill who may provide some offensive talent with high hockey sense. Claude will have no part of this. He would much rather have a fringe player who will fill the lane & think defence first.

Do anyone else see a pattern with Claude that skilled players seem to digress & stagnate while pluggers, muckers & grinders (Campbell, Yelle, Begin, Thornton) seem to have there greatest success?

A player with skill like Seguin seems to be regressing as the season progresses. THat is a huge concern for me. Sure Seguin has not looked great but why do he appear to be regressing? Not sure CJ is a great coach for a kid with an apparent fragile confidence like Hamil either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

We'd all like to be wronf about Hammil (those of us--i suspect a majority--who'd written him off as a lousy pick), but really, even w/an immediate callup and plenty of playing time b4 the playoffs start, what can we expect him to do impact-wise?

Just as Seguin is finding out (a far better player than Zack, I think it's fair to say), and one who's been in the show already--the NHL game eats young kids alive, and it only gets worse in the playoffs.

We can't expect Hammil to come anywhere near the kind of production a healthy Savard would have, and I'm not so sure I'd hang on to that Toronto pick IF and only IF PC sees an oppty. to pry a more high impact winger/center or veteran type from another team to help w/the playoff run.

As I've said in many other threads, I think it's really more than ever b4 time for PC to roll the dice on some kind of shake-em up b4 the deadline passes, and w/Savvy gone for the year (and likely for his career :-(  I think the Bruins need to show they're ready to do more entering the playoffs than the usual "believe in the guys we have" stuff.

One thing I'm confused about is why Caron hasn't been called back. At least he's gotten a taste of the Show and has shown some great potential. Again, I don't think he's a game-changer, but I'd rather see him than Paille/Wheeler/Ryder at this juncture.

I agree PC will likely go fishing for another D-man, and I can understand why...but the more I think about it--and the more the Bruins continue to have the league-top GAA, it seems another goal-scorer up front is a greater priority.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yes, call him up and give him a chance.  Why not?  Two weeks to sink or swim.  If he plays well we can rejoice and repent for doubting him.

If he busts, than we can get back to packaging him in a blockbuster trade for the best players on other teams...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

I'd rather see Wheels go back to center and call up Charon. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

I'm guessing with Caron it's probably a matter of cap space. If they had brought him up at any point it would have a eaten up any space they had. It would have been nice to ship out Paille so he could have had a chance. Maybe if (when) Savard hits LTIR we will see him again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Seguin lacks confidence-- everytime he makes a mistake he gets his minutes cut--- he is playing scared to make a mistake which is stifling his play and the coaching staff is to blame for it.  I guarantee that he would have 15 to 20 goals if he was playing for Edmonton and Hall would be in the same situation Seguin is in if he has here in Boston.

Memo to coaching staff--- install confidence in him then he will play with confidence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I really dont see PC making any deals for a forward unless its a good fit because of the fact the Bs have Caron for one to bring up and or Hamil. I do see the Bs making a push for a Dman but with Kampher playing well who knows. It would have to be a blow ur socks off type of deal I think for PC to make one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Hamill has stuck with it and is producing very good results playing with Reich and CARON. He knows the system, put him with Ryder and Seguin and he will help them both with his passing skills. IMO Chia is waiting for a final medical word on Savard before he makes a move. Would prefer to see Boychuck gone for a solid D, but it might also take Wheels and/or Stuart. I cxontinue to watch Thornton muck up any skills of his linemates. Even though he gives his all, he has limited capability, and either Wheeler or Caron with Campbell and Paille would produce better results as a line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

my god, am i sick of this "clode is hurting seguins confidence..." load of crap. he's a rookie yes, but also a proffesional hockey player. his confidence was fine up until this point in his career, what has changed? oh wait he's playing against men now, not boys. i'd rather see tough love- send him down to prov., and nake him earn his way onto the team. just because he was 2nd pick, doesn't mean he's owed something. if this kid is that emotionally that fragile- it was a bad 2nd pick. time to man up, you can't coddle this kid forever.  sitting the bench most of the game is not helping his development- either is sticking him out in a game he does not belong RIGHT NOW.  bring up caron for a couple weeks(could he possibly be less effective than seguin?), and let them compete for pt.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: The Prodigal!:
    [QUOTE]Yes, call him up and give him a chance.  Why not?  Two weeks to sink or swim.  If he plays well we can rejoice and repent for doubting him. If he busts, than we can get back to packaging him in a blockbuster trade for the best players on other teams...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Exactly Fletch.... Id be thrilled if he and seguin click, though CJ may need to up his dosage of plavix if they hit the ice together lol.

Its worth a shot not to mix things up too much. If Hamill busts I hope PC does something at the deadline but keeping TO's pick unless you can get someone real good who will Re-Sign, is the most important thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjd57. Show rjd57's posts

[QUOTE]my god, am i sick of this "clode is hurting seguins confidence..." load of crap.  ... [/QUOTE]

Well said.
    Before Seguin got benched Tuesday night, I saw him lose control of the puck at least four times without any contact. That's not a loss of confidence. That's either fear or something close to it.

Whether that means he should play less or more, I'd go with what Julien decides before letting the amateur GM/coaches chime in. None of us has any idea what's going on behind the scenes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]my god, am i sick of this "clode is hurting seguins confidence..." load of crap. he's a rookie yes, but also a proffesional hockey player. his confidence was fine up until this point in his career, what has changed? oh wait he's playing against men now, not boys. i'd rather see tough love- send him down to prov., and nake him earn his way onto the team. just because he was 2nd pick, doesn't mean he's owed something. if this kid is that emotionally that fragile- it was a bad 2nd pick. time to man up, you can't coddle this kid forever.  sitting the bench most of the game is not helping his development- either is sticking him out in a game he does not belong RIGHT NOW.  bring up caron for a couple weeks(could he possibly be less effective than seguin?), and let them compete for pt.     
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

right.. but I dont k know how many times ive had to say this. Seguin cant go to the A. I wish he could he could use the time there. Because he isnt getting the time here.

This is why I hate that freaking rule its fugging seguin up. He's clearly too good for junior, but just not quite there for the big show. Yet, he cant play in the A due to stupid contract stipulations. Its a dumb rule, Seguin would absolutely benefit from increased time in provy but he's not aloud to play there. Cornswaggle!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Putting "Begin and Yelle" in the same sentence as "success" means you probably don't watch enough hockey.

[QUOTE]In Response to The Prodigal! : A young center with skill who may provide some offensive talent with high hockey sense. Claude will have no part of this. He would much rather have a fringe player who will fill the lane & think defence first. Do anyone else see a pattern with Claude that skilled players seem to digress & stagnate while pluggers, muckers & grinders (Campbell, Yelle, Begin, Thornton) seem to have there greatest success? A player with skill like Seguin seems to be regressing as the season progresses. THat is a huge concern for me. Sure Seguin has not looked great but why do he appear to be regressing? Not sure CJ is a great coach for a kid with an apparent fragile confidence like Hamil either.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Savvvy. Show Savvvy's posts

[QUOTE]my god, am i sick of this "clode is hurting seguins confidence..." load of crap. he's a rookie yes, but also a proffesional hockey player. his confidence was fine up until this point in his career, what has changed? oh wait he's playing against men now, not boys. i'd rather see tough love- send him down to prov., and nake him earn his way onto the team. just because he was 2nd pick, doesn't mean he's owed something. if this kid is that emotionally that fragile- it was a bad 2nd pick. time to man up, you can't coddle this kid forever.  sitting the bench most of the game is not helping his development- either is sticking him out in a game he does not belong RIGHT NOW.  bring up caron for a couple weeks(could he possibly be less effective than seguin?), and let them compete for pt.     

He can't go to prov until he is 20.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

is that when his minor league contract expires? if thats the case, one guy watches(from the press box) while the other plays --- what an unbelievably stupid rule

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

don,t forget about our buddy Satin

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]is that when his minor league contract expires? if thats the case, one guy watches(from the press box) while the other plays --- what an unbelievably stupid rule
    The rule is in place so that the CHL isn't constantly losing it's star players to the AHL.I have no problem with players completing their junior eligibility before playing ing the AHL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Prodigal! : The rule is in place so that the CHL isn't constantly losing it's star players to the AHL.I have no problem with players completing their junior eligibility before playing ing the AHL.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I know in the larger picture this rule is a good thing. But really why does Junior need protecting? If the kids have surpassed junior skill send them to the A. TS Could use a few games in provy (seeing as he gets 5-6mins a game some nights) the only thing stopping him is this rule.

Isnt that the point of Junior develop players till they can make$$ to play? Why tie down teams/players for no reason other than to increase canadian junior viewership?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

ILH...totally agree, stunt a players development so a junior league can keep star players? star players are supposed to move up and continue growth, players struggling are sent down to rework their game. this rule is to appease canadian hockey fans, and is not in the best interest of the game, or its players development.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Thus far, everything Seguin has done and the way he has handled adversity is by taking it by the throat and getting better. Getting cut from the WJC motivated him to be better last season in juniors and when people said he was too small, he goes out and puts on 15 lbs. I don't know why everyone thinks this kid is more boy than man.

He's shown that he handles adversity well and gets better through it not worse. Don't know why everyone thinks lower production than people were dreaming of is stunted growth and regression.

I can guarantee he's learning a ton from Recchi, Bergeron, Krejic, and the rest. Let the kid grow and stop complaining that he's not growing quick enough.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Prodigal! : I know in the larger picture this rule is a good thing. But really why does Junior need protecting? If the kids have surpassed junior skill send them to the A. TS Could use a few games in provy (seeing as he gets 5-6mins a game some nights) the only thing stopping him is this rule. Isnt that the point of Junior develop players till they can make$$ to play? Why tie down teams/players for no reason other than to increase canadian junior viewership?
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]
    It would seriously damage the talent level of the CHL if every 1st rounder consistently left for the AHL after being drafted.It's hard enough on the talent pool when the players like Crosby,Stamkos,Tavares,Hall ,Seguin,etc leave as 18 year olds to start their pro career.Imagine how bad it would get if the next tier of players also bolted for the AHL at the same time. Instead of the 5 or 10 best players leaving,it would become the top 30 or 40 players.CHL owners need to sell tickets too.