The Rask Dilemma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Rask Dilemma

Does CJ need to get Rask a start coming up, or do we feel Thomas can carry the full load of what could potentially be another long series?

No doubt in my mind Thomas is the man, but there's a voice in the back of my head that thinks Rask should get a surprise start early in the series.

a) Thomas could use the break. He may say he's fine physically, but these long series are a mental grind.

b) A Rask start does not mean an automatic loss. Goalie depth is a strength of the Bruins, but it's not worth a pile of beans if they don't use that advantage. Rask would be up to exact some revenge on the Flyers.

c) Throws off any gameplaning Philly might have done, if ever slightly.

We've seen some goalie changes in the other series. Granted, most were performance-related. I'd like to see Rask get the surprise nod in Game #2, and come right back with Thomas for the rest regardless of the Game 2 outcome.

Is this crazy, or crazy like a fox?

Flyers (#2) vs. Bruins (#3)
    Saturday, April 30th @ 3pm
    Monday, May 2nd @ 7:30pm
    Wednesday, May 4th @ 7pm
    Friday, May 6th @ 8pm
    Sunday, May 8th @ 3pm
    Tuesday, May 10th @ TBA
    Thursday, May 12th @ TBA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Re: The Rask Dilemma

Rask > all 3 Philly goalies

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

I felt that Rask was exhausted last year.I think if you have a good backup,you can safely rest Thomas,once it becomes clear that he needs a break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the only way Tuukka time comes is if TT stinks the joint or gets hurt....

Homer's no daredevil, his head's still on the chopping block....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Thomas can carry the team IF the team shows up (which they didnt do in a few of the Habs games).  Also, the Flyers are a completely different team than the Habs.  Shouldnt be penalty issues like with the Habs and Boston showed during the regular season they could beat them going 3-0-1 with the only loss being a 2-1 OT.  Philly had trouble with Buffalo and the Sabers SHOULD HAVE beaten them.  BRING ON THE FLYERS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thomas gets three days between games now, and another three days between games 1 and 2.  I don't want him playing one game in a week during the playoffs. His pattern has been that he's at his best when he's burning hot and playing a lot.  You can't really "rest" him and expect him to play at that top level.  Rest him when he burns out and hope that that isn't game 7.  Better yet, catch him on the verge of burnout in game 6 and start Rask so that if it doesn't work, you have a fresher TT for game 7.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

one would have thought the time to play rask would have been in montreal gm. 3. which tells me, they are going to ride thomas into the sunset. can't argue, he is a vezina favorite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I thought this would be another "trade Rask becuase the Bs have Thomas n Khudobin" thread. I agree with DaysofOrr whole heartdly Mr. Clean was born yesterday not last night :sarcasm: (easy Julien supporters easy just kidding)...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

no dilemmahere Thomas is the starting goalie. Should he get lit up Tuuka will comw in and Thomas will be back in the next game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: The Rask Dilemma:
    [QUOTE]I thought this would be another "trade Rask becuase the Bs have Thomas n Khudobin" thread. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Really? You know me better than that.....

Thomas has this year. As Espo woud say, no doubt about it. The questions is about burnout, which clearly happened to Rask last year.

Good news is the loose schedule, which means plenty of rest time. I just want CJ to make the call for one game BEFORE the fatigue sets in, not after and it's a lost game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I were to see Tuukka in net at anytime during this series I would have just as much confidence in the Bruins winning. I don't or haven's seen burnout yet from TT but wouldn't have a problem with him sitting a game but I don't see it in this series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

What "dilemma"?  As it's been all season, TT is #1 Vezina-winning goaler and Rask is his back-up.  Love these threads...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]What "dilemma"?  As it's been all season, TT is #1 Vezina-winning goaler and Rask is his back-up.  Love these threads...
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]

Really !  How to get Lucic going ?  How to get the PP to work ?  How to keep a fire under Ryder's butt ?  How to get Horton to score in regulation ?  But maybe we should play Rask ?   Wow !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Interesting.  I read the thread title and had "are you nuts" on my finger tips.  I get where you are coming from.  TT plays such an intense mental game he can burn out. Keeping him fresh is kinda important.  But, the schedule doesn't help this.  Lots of time off now, and any later than game three is not the time to rest anybody.  Maybe in the third round?   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting.  I read the thread title and had "are you nuts" on my finger tips.  I get where you are coming from.  TT plays such an intense mental game he can burn out. Keeping him fresh is kinda important.  But, the schedule doesn't help this.  Lots of time off now, and any later than game three is not the time to rest anybody.  Maybe in the third round?   
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I have not, nor will I ever, think Rask is a better play than Thomas. Just like Schneider isn't a better play than BobbyLuo. But sometimes these games catch up to you and I guarantee we'll all be here talking after a sub-par performance from Thomas and be thinking, "Man, he looked tired". Then CJ will play Rask the NEXT game...thus affecting 2 games instead of 1.

Just wondering if they'll ever get ahead of the curve...but agreed the schedule is loose and shouldn't be a problem anytime soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

asmaha, I wouldn't add "nor will I ever".  I think there's a real chance for Rask to compete for and win the starting job as early as next year - maybe not out of the gate, but at some point in the year.  And I say that taking nothing away from TT. 

Rask didn't have a good year, a soph slump at best, but he's clearly got the talent to be a really good goaltender at this level for a long time, and if he continues to develop, I think he will outperform Thomas in the near future. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Going into a playoff series with Tim Thomas as your starter and Tuuka Rask as your back up is a dilemma any coach would want.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Rask Dilemma:[QUOTE]Going into a playoff series with Tim Thomas as your starter and Tuuka Rask as your back up is a dilemma any coach would want.Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

^True dat!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

If the Bruins win game 1--- I would consider playing Rask in game 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to The Rask Dilemma:
    [QUOTE]Does CJ need to get Rask a start coming up, or do we feel Thomas can carry the full load of what could potentially be another long series? No doubt in my mind Thomas is the man, but there's a voice in the back of my head that thinks Rask should get a surprise start early in the series. a) Thomas could use the break. He may say he's fine physically, but these long series are a mental grind. b) A Rask start does not mean an automatic loss. Goalie depth is a strength of the Bruins, but it's not worth a pile of beans if they don't use that advantage. Rask would be up to exact some revenge on the Flyers. c) Throws off any gameplaning Philly might have done, if ever slightly. We've seen some goalie changes in the other series. Granted, most were performance-related. I'd like to see Rask get the surprise nod in Game #2, and come right back with Thomas for the rest regardless of the Game 2 outcome. Is this crazy, or crazy like a fox? Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

This is a reasonable question.  I thought Rask was wearing down against Philly and thought a TT start in G5 or 6 was worth the possible loss.

However, Rask simply hasnt played enough lately to take the chance with the series 0-0.  TT was rested extensively down the stretch, and played less than most of the contenders' goalies. He should be physically ready for Round 2.

If he reverts to Bad Timmy, I would definitely find a spot to rest him and get Rask a little work.  If not, I say don't bring in the rusty guy.  Look at the goaltender/defensman exchange problems Vancouver had when they gave Luongo Game 6 off.  The B's have enough trouble with that without bringing in a guy who hasnt played in weeks.  Look at how Rask played when Claude had buried him at midseason... took him several games to shake the rust.

Leave it alone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

I think it's crazy. I don't recall a team resting a goalie that just won a a aeven game series with three overtime victories. Also while he was bad at the beginning of the series he got better and better as the series went along. Timmy is on the upswing so why kill his momentum. The regular season is the time for goalie tandums. The playoffs are about riding the big dogs until they screw up or drop and the big time goalies wouldn't want it any other way. So l say you ride Thomas until he gives you a reason to do otherwise and right now there is no reason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I agree with Asmaha in that it's better to rest TT before he burns out.  I think if the B's  win the first game or 2, it might be wise to have Rask start gm 2 or 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Asmaha in that it's better to rest TT before he burns out.  I think if the B's  win the first game or 2, it might be wise to have Rask start gm 2 or 3.
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]
    Especially if TT finds himself in another OT game or two,early in the series.He's essentially coming off of an 8 game series as far as minutes played is concerned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

No reason to put Rask in.. Thomas has plenty of rest between games..

Thomas will be fine.. no issue here.. How about getting that tired looking first line in gear!! That would be more of a concern to me than Thomas!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

If Thomas plays like he played the last 3 games vs the Habs... he will be fine.  If he plays like he played the first 4 games vs the Habs (execpt the 3rd period of game number 4) we will see Rask!!