the Rask factor......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

the Rask factor......

I know he played a "good" game tonight.....BUT the 3rd goal was weak. Yes...Vanek was clear...yes it was Seidenberg's fault he was clear...BUT...I believe TT would have come up with the stop. two games in a row rask has cost us with some "weak" goals. I know CJ wants to have both goalies going....BUT...how many Stanley Cups did the Devils win with Marty playing every (over 90%) of the games??? Question is....TT has got it this year...should we "ride it out" with him, like the Devils did...or continue to "Force" the Rask thing....and lose points in the standings. thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: the Rask factor......

Bruins need a legit veteran backup who can be mentally prepared to only play every 4 to 6 games vs. week teams and come up with a win.  Tuukka is not that guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Not sure what is going on with Rask. I don't buy the sophomore jinx. I think he got disturbed by CJ not showing faith in him earlier.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Like I said in the other thread, he is incapable of stealing a game.  He doesn't make enough big or timely saves.  He wins if the team in front of him plays a top notch game, he loses if the team in front of him doesn't bring their best effort.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Rask hasn't recovered from Game 7. He was thrust on to the big stage too early and left out to dry by a team hurting from injuries and lacking the heart to finish things. He's young so he could still bounce back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

abra-cadaver said it perfectly!!! couldn't agree more. so then...why "force" it I say....let's get on the TT train....like the Devils did with Marty....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

The only problem with Rask is that he is not a backup goalie.  He has been a starter on every team he has played on.  He is not playing enough to stay sharp and has not yet learned what he needs to do to stay sharp when he is not playing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

really agree with all the above posts...average goaling against great goaling......i was laughed at two months ago by some experts on here when i suggested sending rask down to see if this guy has it or not...i stick with that thought...yeah i know some will say he had no chance on those goals...well miller made at least five saves he HAD NO CHANCE ON....but stopped them...tank does the same thing....yup solid  veteran backup needed...osgood maybe if detroit sign nabakov

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

with TT's age...I'm not recommending we get rid of Rask. He could be the goalie of the future. Just saying that right now....THIS year.....we have 4 lines...a solid D.....a Vezina goalie....we have a chance to do some serious playoff damage....WHY FORCE THE ISSUE with Rask is what I'm saying. Let TT run with it.  If sending Rask down  is possible (anyone know if it is) it's not a bad idea...that way he stays a lot sharper in case of an injury to TT...or he may have to learn to be a good "bench goalie"...just saying that....why force the 2 goalie thing at this point? You only NEED 1 to win........ "most" recent Stanley cup winners have had a clear starter/backup dynamic...the Moog/Lemelin years have long past...lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Thomas is having a great season, but he is no Marty Brodeur.  He is at his best when he plays less than 60 games.  Don't forget the slump that he had a couple of weeks ago before Rask stepped in for a couple of games.  I really like both goalies, and hope that Rask can find some consistency in a backup role.  That would be the best thing for the Bruins right now.  Barring injury, there is no reason that Thomas shouldn't get 75% of the starts. 

I think that part of the problem may be that the team has a hard time adjusting to the vastly different styles of the two goalies.  Timmy aggressively chases the puck and works hard to clear it to the boards, while Tuukka is all about conservation of motion.  It really stood out tonight when Rask gave up a rebound that sat there about three feet in front of the crease.  The Bruins all froze as if they were expecting Rask to lunge forward and poke the puck away like Thomas would do.  Instead, the puck just sat there until a Sabre got to it first.  We all know how that worked out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: the Rask factor......:
    [QUOTE]really agree with all the above posts...average goaling against great goaling......i was laughed at two months ago by some experts on here when i suggested sending rask down to see if this guy has it or not...i stick with that thought...yeah i know some will say he had no chance on those goals...well miller made at least five saves he HAD NO CHANCE ON....but stopped them...tank does the same thing....yup solid  veteran backup needed...osgood maybe if detroit sign nabakov
    Posted by north1234[/QUOTE]

So you think it is a good idea to let him get claimed on waivers.  He can not go to the AHL without first clearing waivers and there is zero chance he would clear.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Where was the goal support for the kid! How many times this season when Rask starts has the team scored 3 or more goals for the kid?

vs Phon- 2 goals
    vs NYR- 2 goals
    vs St Louis- 1 goal
    vs Mon- 1 goal
    vs Fla- 4 goals
    vs TB- 1 goal
    vs Atl- 1 goal
    vs NYI- 5 goals
    vs Buff- 2 goals
    vs Buff- 4 goals (pulled after 1st)
    vs Tor- 2 goals
    vs Minny- 1 goal
    vs Buff- 2 goals

How in the heck can you fault the kid! Doesn't matter what kind of "veteran back-up" we have they're not going to have any more success than Rask!
    I think TT is the no question bonafide starter for the B's, but this talk of blaming the kid everytime he's in the net with this kind of goal support is foolish!
    Remember TT wasn't getting the goal support last yr. I think Rask record is a reflection of the teams play, moreso than his! Yes he's been shaky in some games, but that's to be expected when you're not playing.

If TT plays anymore than 60 games this season. I'll bet ya dime to a dollar that his play will be less than stellar in the 2nd rd! Rask needs to play & TT needs rest! TT is NO MARTY BRODEUR & NEVER WILL BE! TT is not 27, he's 37. Yes a young 37 as far as NHL games is concerned. Nonetheless! The NHL play-offs are the most gruelling & hardest ordeal that ANY ATHLETE is put thru! We need a rested TT & a in the zone Rask in order for this team to get thru 4 rds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The 3rd goal was not weak Vanek is a sniper. Rask had another Sabre to worry about creeping up the other wall while once again the Bruins Dman was struggling to get back.

Buffalo had odd man breaks all night was that Rask's fault ? The same Bruins fans that were singing Rask's praises last year while he stole the show against Buffalo are now saying the Bruins need a new veteran backup is funny.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

He made some good save tonight, I missed the third goal, but I have to wonder, several of his losses he didn't have much support. You have to score goals to win games, BUT, as of late I certanly don't see him being the difference maker like TT. I think TT could have stolen the game tonight (I'll pass on the"Horton blew some very clear opportunities" problem).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Where was the goal support for the kid! How many times this season when Rask starts has the team scored 3 or more goals for the kid? vs Phon- 2 goals vs NYR- 2 goals vs St Louis- 1 goal vs Mon- 1 goal vs Fla- 4 goals vs TB- 1 goal vs Atl- 1 goal vs NYI- 5 goals vs Buff- 2 goals vs Buff- 4 goals (pulled after 1st) vs Tor- 2 goals vs Minny- 1 goal vs Buff- 2 goals How in the heck can you fault the kid! Doesn't matter what kind of "veteran back-up" we have they're not going to have any more success than Rask! I think TT is the no question bonafide starter for the B's, but this talk of blaming the kid everytime he's in the net with this kind of goal support is foolish! Remember TT wasn't getting the goal support last yr. I think Rask record is a reflection of the teams play, moreso than his! Yes he's been shaky in some games, but that's to be expected when you're not playing. If TT plays anymore than 60 games this season. I'll bet ya dime to a dollar that his play will be less than stellar in the 2nd rd! Rask needs to play & TT needs rest! TT is NO MARTY BRODEUR & NEVER WILL BE! TT is not 27, he's 37. Yes a young 37 as far as NHL games is concerned. Nonetheless! The NHL play-offs are the most gruelling & hardest ordeal that ANY ATHLETE is put thru! We need a rested TT & a in the zone Rask in order for this team to get thru 4 rds.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
       Couldn't agree more nitemare.
    I knew the goal support was lacking for Rask, but didn't realize it was that bad.
    His win/loss record does not reflect his performance.
    He has been good enough to win most of his games, with some decent support from the rest of the team.
    Rask is just fine. I don't understand some people wanting to run him out of town.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]The 3rd goal was not weak Vanek is a sniper. Rask had another Sabre to worry about creeping up the other wall while once again the Bruins Dman was struggling to get back. Buffalo had odd man breaks all night was that Rask's fault ? The same Bruins fans that were singing Rask's praises last year while he stole the show against Buffalo are now saying the Bruins need a new veteran backup is funny.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    No kidding, Vanek is a true sniper and has been a Bruin killer for years. Look at the replay ,it was a laser that went in off the post.I doubt TT would have had it either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Where was the goal support for the kid! How many times this season when Rask starts has the team scored 3 or more goals for the kid? vs Phon- 2 goals vs NYR- 2 goals vs St Louis- 1 goal vs Mon- 1 goal vs Fla- 4 goals vs TB- 1 goal vs Atl- 1 goal vs NYI- 5 goals vs Buff- 2 goals vs Buff- 4 goals (pulled after 1st) vs Tor- 2 goals vs Minny- 1 goal vs Buff- 2 goals How in the heck can you fault the kid! Doesn't matter what kind of "veteran back-up" we have they're not going to have any more success than Rask! I think TT is the no question bonafide starter for the B's, but this talk of blaming the kid everytime he's in the net with this kind of goal support is foolish! Remember TT wasn't getting the goal support last yr. I think Rask record is a reflection of the teams play, moreso than his! Yes he's been shaky in some games, but that's to be expected when you're not playing. If TT plays anymore than 60 games this season. I'll bet ya dime to a dollar that his play will be less than stellar in the 2nd rd! Rask needs to play & TT needs rest! TT is NO MARTY BRODEUR & NEVER WILL BE! TT is not 27, he's 37. Yes a young 37 as far as NHL games is concerned. Nonetheless! The NHL play-offs are the most gruelling & hardest ordeal that ANY ATHLETE is put thru! We need a rested TT & a in the zone Rask in order for this team to get thru 4 rds.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Except here's the problem with Tuuka...And I'm surprised a lot of fans don't pick up on this. While his support isn't a lot from an offensive standpoint, he still has frequently been given leads. Tonight, perfect example of his inabiilty to hold those leads. It's why his record is terrible.
    1. He is always outplayed by the opponent goalie, almost every single Rask game he is the second best goalie on the ice
    2. Just can't play at a stellar enough level to hold leads. The B's give him a 1-0 lead, the game gets tied. They gave him a 2-1 lead, the game gets tied. Then when it's tied, who blinks? Not Miller, but Rask...And when the team still had a chance to tie, a bad bounce goal in front, a goal that simply cannot be allowed gets through him.
    3. I'm tired of the confidence battle he deals with. He is young, but since he's shown success last year, you'd think by now he can make an adjustment or two. I've been calling for the team to add a 3rd goalie now for the last month.
    It's time to make some hard decisions with Tuuka. Riding him out and playing him to spell Thomas seems to just take the momentum away from the team. The team is a momentum squad, plays off the big saves of their goalie. Miller gave that to the Sabres this game. Rask gave the B's basically another ok effort, but ultimately a loser's effort.

I'm sorry, it's time to move on with Tuuka as a backup. This fear factor about the future has to stop. THE FUTURE IS NOW FOR THE B'S..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Everyone was worried back when Raycroft went from Rookie of the Year to being traded away. Turns out his leaving didn't hurt the team. They found other goalies, ultimately seeing Thomas turn himself into a Vezina guy. For a while, Toivenen was considered the can't miss kid, and again, no big loss when he left the franchise. I just don't buy into Tuuka as the future. Maybe he's become what happened to Jim Carey. A great season, then turns into a pedestrian goalie. Tuuka is resembling the same type of downfall. It happens. He's on a team that is high in the Eastern Conf. standings, 1st in the division, and his performances, whether by coincidence or by whatever reason ends in regulation losses. Thomas plays, they steal the 2nd Canes game. The problem with Tuuka is the B's can't afford to keep playing him if they want to sustain success. This is my feeling about "unlucky" goalies. There's a reason why a goalie is lucky and unlucky. Rask gave up a post shot on the Horton giveaway, he was beat on the play, and he was lucky enough for it to hit the post. So, the rebound comes out and he can't make the save on the rebound attempt. Is he unlucky or is he out of position. He seemed to favor the left side of the net on the Gw goal. Had he been more centered he might have been able to stick save. Bottom line, Thomas seems to find ways to make those type of saves, and Rask hasn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Tuuka has very little NHL experience guys!! You don't throw the towel in on a goalie that shows the ability of a Rask. Yes a "seasoned" back up would not be any better and TT does need rest. If I'm not mistaken Rask has a better Sv% than Miller. I think Tuuka plays most of the "trap" games and is not playing enough to be sharp as he could be, but that will make him a much better 'tender when he is relied on in a full time basis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I agree with Nite mare. Tuuka does not get the offensive OR DEFENSIVE support that he should get. He has been solid in all but 2 games he has played. Last nite, Ryder was lost, but Claude kept on putting him out. Recchi should have been able to finish on at least two, if not three, goals, and his puck control gets worse as the season progresses. The " ENERGY " line was full of energy, but not puck control. Thornton gave up the puck more than he controlled it, and his "hail mary passes are stupid. Seids had a lkess than stellar game, and Boychuck has no clue on how to move the puck up the ice other than ramming it around the boards to the other team. One half of The team did not show up to play, and Claude had no clue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

This is not about Rask, this is about the forwards who take the night off when Rask is in net. They take the night off from scoring and checking and defensive responsibility. The defensemen suffer from the same disease, but not to the same extent. Let's call this disease "Raskitis"

The Vanek goal? Go take another look. See where the breakdown ocurred - it wasn't in front of the net, it was at the other end. Surprise, surprise at who's responsible.

Rask, however, must lead the league in pucks going in off legs, skates, helmets and other paraphenalia.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone was worried back when Raycroft went from Rookie of the Year to being traded away. Turns out his leaving didn't hurt the team. They found other goalies, ultimately seeing Thomas turn himself into a Vezina guy. For a while, Toivenen was considered the can't miss kid, and again, no big loss when he left the franchise. I just don't buy into Tuuka as the future. Maybe he's become what happened to Jim Carey. A great season, then turns into a pedestrian goalie. Tuuka is resembling the same type of downfall. It happens. He's on a team that is high in the Eastern Conf. standings, 1st in the division, and his performances, whether by coincidence or by whatever reason ends in regulation losses. Thomas plays, they steal the 2nd Canes game. The problem with Tuuka is the B's can't afford to keep playing him if they want to sustain success. This is my feeling about "unlucky" goalies. There's a reason why a goalie is lucky and unlucky. Rask gave up a post shot on the Horton giveaway, he was beat on the play, and he was lucky enough for it to hit the post. So, the rebound comes out and he can't make the save on the rebound attempt. Is he unlucky or is he out of position. He seemed to favor the left side of the net on the Gw goal. Had he been more centered he might have been able to stick save. Bottom line, Thomas seems to find ways to make those type of saves, and Rask hasn't.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
    No one was worried about Raycroft being traded for Rask(most folks were thrilled).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

see nitemare's post ...it says it all... 13 starts - 3 games in which the b's scored more than 2 goals... for any goalie in the league(except TT) this is a losing formula... but that being said he has to play to give TT a rest. i know its hard to believe but even the best 3rd period team in the league(B's) will get out skated once in a while- its called the law of averages- does TT give up 1.nothing goals a game? no, sometimes 0, other times 3 or 4. be realistic, this team skated well for 2 periods and got outplayed in the 3rd. happens   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I agree with one of the earlier post, in that, it does make a difference if the goalie is playing on a regular basis. Game speed and action, cant be duplicated in practice....Scrimmaging helps, but do they do much of that at practice....I dont know....So that said, I feel for all backups in the league. Its hard to get in a groove when you are not playing on a regular basis....

I'll agree with most, I do feel Rask should have had the third goal and he'll probably say the same thing....Pretty good placement by vanek.