"The Trade"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Anyway, back to the point.  A girl with a huge rack concealed by a typical Florida tank top just walked into this office.  Be back later.

Don't pull a Ben Roethlisberger...

No, but atleast snap a creepshot, which a friend of mine has mastered. I so look forward to those texts. He has it down to a science.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re:

Yes, it is primarily TSN's fault. But remember that before the NHL meant everything "Crosby" (I call this the ESPN effect), 99 was the face, hands, torso, feet, and genitalia of the NHL.  I shudder to think what the media would do to him today. Crosby would be as about as famous as Marcel Goc by comparison.

Still, "The Trade" is a crappy term though. There have been so many of "The Trade"s throughout history.

...and the first thing when "The Catch" was referenced was indeed Willie Mays. Screw Montana to Clark...Third down, almost a full minute left in the game, bah!  That is a totally over-hyped play in the annals of sport.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

Mays is the first one that pops to mind for me as well, and I wasn't alive yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re:

Tom Brunansky made "The Catch", Yaz did too...hell, I've even made a few in my illustrious softball career.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

NAS - blame TSN.  I think they've been referring to it as "The Trade" for most of the last 25 years.  Partly for the reasons I mentioned, partly for the reasons SanDog mentions.

I feel the same way about "The Catch".  Dwight Clark's fingertips to toe tips catch was great, and it won a Superbowl, but I can think of a few cases where you could say the same thing of catches that looked a heck of a lot more difficult.

So - I dislike when things are nicknamed "The ---" as though no other thing of that type compares, though I never questioned why TSN would pick the Gretzky trade as "The Trade".  And I agree on "pulling a [Roethlisberger - point to Fletch]", but isn't it just an extension of the ridiculous abuse of comparison in sports media?  Seguin is like Yzerman only not.  Marchand is like Linseman only not.  Bergeron is like Goring only not.  Wow, a defenseman laid a big hit - Stevensian!

Are you not entertained?!?!

I do.  Call it "The Gretzky Trade." I don't expect to hear the passing of Elvis referred to as "The Death" on August 16th. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re:

In response to mxt's comment:

No, you are not alone. When I saw your post title "The Trade", my first thoughts were the Espo trade to NY.

I guess I understand the Hockey News calling the Gretzky trade "The Trade" but when I saw the title of this thread, (on a Bruins site) I thought of the Espo TO Boston trade, not the Espo FROM Boston trade.

Bigger names in the Ranger trade, but the trade with the Blackhawks sewed up 2 Cups, I think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I guess I understand the Hockey News calling the Gretzky trade "The Trade" but when I saw the title of this thread, (on a Bruins site) I thought of the Espo TO Boston trade, not the Espo FROM Boston trade.

Bigger names in the Ranger trade, but the trade with the Blackhawks sewed up 2 Cups, I think.

No one cares what you think you ship jumping Benedict Arnold.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

No one cares what you think you ship jumping Benedict Arnold.

Was he ever on the ship? The guy's a Wings fan isn't he? Check out the date on this post. Boston won the Cup 90 days later.

posted at 3/14/2011 1:08 AM EDT

• SoxFanInIL
    • First: 8/9/2012
    • Last: 8/9/2013

In Response to Re: More evidence that Julien's system and coaching ability is holding us back:
    good teams like Detroit have understood that long time ago!!
    Posted by lucaooo

I went to the Detroit game last nightand watched them surgically run off 5 goals despite killing penalties the whole second period, and the reason they score and win is NOT because they have a good first pass.  Its because they have players on their THIRD line with more offensive skill than the B's have on their first line.  Its also because they have skill on their first and second lines that the B's havent had this decade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re:

It's been 25 years exactly since the Oilers traded Gretzky to LA.  It's all over my news feeds, of course.  One thing that's bugging me is that the writers keep referring to it as "The Trade".  As in, "It's been 25 years since The Trade."

If someone asked me about "The Trade", my first question would be, "Which one?"  Am I alone on this? 

As a 37 year old hockey fan if someone asked me about "the trade" this one would defintely pop into my mind. It was a huge deal, the biggest one in my lifetime. I remember him and majic on the cover of the next sports illustrated which I still have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re:

Boys, boys, boys...any Bruins fan knows that the true "Trade" was the one alluded to in this post...

To Bruins:

Esposito, Stanfield and Hodge

To Chicago:

Pit Martin, Gil Marotte and another guy.

No need to think about it, that trade, along with a young defenseman in his prime (who deserves the same NHL recognition afforded #99 but doesn't get it), did indeed lead to two Stanley Cups in the early 70's.