The Verizon HD scam

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The Verizon HD scam

I just want to let people know about this and I want to know if anyone else's experience is different, I think it's dirty pool being played by NESN or Verizon.

I have my HD cable box split it's output to different tv's in my house.  2 of those tv's are old fashioned picture tubes.  When I watch the hd on the regular picture tubes the images are a bit worse than my hd tv, but not horrible.

In the meantime, tuning into the non-hd NESN station is absolutely horrific no matter which tv or cable box.  It's not even watchable whether it's on the hd tv or regular old tube.  I am 100% positive than the image was better with the old analog cable box.  On the non-hd station you can't even see the player's faces.  I look back at youtube clips from

I believe NESN or Verizon is intentionally "dumbing down" the non-hd image to force people to buy the hd package.

Is it the same with Comcast or direct tv or is there another?

I look back at the youtube clips from 1988 and it looks better than the non-hd NESN station - the ones where people are recording off of their tv with a camcorder or something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The NESN (or Verizon?) HD scam

Time to upgrade those dinosaurs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

I've heard similar stories from friends in the same situation. I was suspecting the same thing when watching analog feeds but they told me it's because my tv is big (55") and the pixels get "streched out". Dunno what my stance is on that. If big tv's lower picture quality, and getting HD is the only way to get a decent feed, then we're being taken for a ride.. HD is expensive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: The NESN (or Verizon?) HD scam:
    [QUOTE]Time to upgrade those dinosaurs!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You missed my point NAS, the hd image sent to my 15" tube tv (non hd) that is set up in my kitchen has a really good image.

And the analog image on my hd tv's - ranging from 18" to 30" are all equally horrible and of course horrible on the 2 tube sets I have also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I've heard similar stories from friends in the same situation. I was suspecting the same thing when watching analog feeds but they told me it's because my tv is big (55") and the pixels get "streched out". Dunno what my stance is on that. If big tv's lower picture quality, and getting HD is the only way to get a decent feed, then we're being taken for a ride.. HD is expensive.
    Posted by Al-Samarraie[/QUOTE]

It's pretty suspect to me that there are 2 stations of everything, hd and non hd.

What?  Do they have 2 sets of cameras everywhere at the games?  HD and non HD?

If you have a HD cable box and a non-hd tv, what you do is put a splitter on the cable box and put both hd tv and non-hd tv on it.  Let it find the hd tv first, then watch both.  I have a bunch of tv's off of the splitter so I can have the game on from room to room - without having to rent a million cable boxes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The NESN (or Verizon?) HD scam : It's pretty suspect to me that there are 2 stations of everything, hd and non hd. What?  Do they have 2 sets of cameras everywhere at the games?  HD and non HD? If you have a HD cable box and a non-hd tv, what you do is put a splitter on the cable box and put both hd tv and non-hd tv on it.  Let it find the hd tv first, then watch both.  I have a bunch of tv's off of the splitter so I can have the game on from room to room - without having to rent a million cable boxes.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

/>Exactly...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

It is a scam, no doubt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I have direct TV and the non-HD feed that I get in my bedroom box is on par with the old pre-analog signal. So I wouldn't say it's NESN or a conspiracy against non-HD users. 

I would hazard to guess that it could be due to splitting the signal. Splitting the signal lowers the signal strength and I've always seen a drop off in strength whenever me and my brother used to split it (up to 4-5 ways). It's possible that splitting an HD feed may lower the signal strength too far to have enough signal strength for a good analog picture but I'm just pontificating on this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]I have direct TV and the non-HD feed that I get in my bedroom box is on par with the old pre-analog signal. So I wouldn't say it's NESN or a conspiracy against non-HD users.  I would hazard to guess that it could be due to splitting the signal. Splitting the signal lowers the signal strength and I've always seen a drop off in strength whenever me and my brother used to split it (up to 4-5 ways). It's possible that splitting an HD feed may lower the signal strength too far to have enough signal strength for a good analog picture but I'm just pontificating on this.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Good point.  For a few bucks you can put an inline signal booster in that may help out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have a signal booster.  And the same horrible image is right there on my hd tv when I switch to the analog station.

And if it were the lack of signal, the hd image would look bad on my non-hd tv.

So it must be Verizon and not NESN that's "dumbing down" their analog signal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: The Verizon HD scam

I don't know if it's a scam, but it could be a bandwidth issue.  With my supplier (Telus), I get my home phone, internet and TV through the same cable.  So when I'm watching HD, my kid's on the computer, and the phone rings, something gives.  Usually the internet cuts out, but occasionally, the HD will lose signal.  Also, the HD feed has a serious delay, something on the order of 3 seconds, from the non-HD feed.

However, I haven't experienced the degradation of the non-HD picture quality.  It appears to be equal to the pre-digital signal, if not a wee bit better.  But, we're not using a splitter -- the non-HD TV has its own digital box.