The way NOT to build a team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The way NOT to build a team

There is Edmonton, once again, one point away from the worst record in the league. Just look at their roster and laugh at salary cap hell realized.

Next years cap.. not including another potential number 1 pick.

Shawn Horcoff the one time 22 goal scorer @ $5.5 million

Ales "the tease" Hemsky 23 goals tops @ $5 million

RNH @ $3.775 million

Nail Yakupov @ $3.775 million

Taylor Hall @ $6 million

Jordon Eberle @ $6 million

Some definite talent, but nearly half the next year's cap on 2 lines.. sick.

In Chia we trust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: The way NOT to build a team

If they add Jones to that club, I'll vomit in my mouth just a little bit. But they have 16 players under contract for next year and nearly $20 million in cap space - they're not in bad shape in the short term - it's the 2014-205 season where they could be hooked, with only 4 players signed. By comparison, the Bruins have 13 signed for that season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

There is Edmonton, once again, one point away from the worst record in the league. Just look at their roster and laugh at salary cap hell realized.

RNH @ $3.775 million

Taylor Hall @ $6 million

In Chia we trust.

The trouble with Edmonton is their G.M, its quite easy to have the 1st overall pick and look at the T.S.N draft rankings and pick the top player.Its quite another to actually construct a team, which Tambellini hasn't done. The Oiler defence is bad, which has not been addressed for 3 or 4 years now and i don't know if Dubnyk is the answer. Some veteran help would be nice but i guess they figure Ryan Smyth is enough.

I've said it before but instead of just picking another young top end forward , why not use your imagination and deal it to a team that wants it for an established top 2 d-man.Again i think its Tambellini's job to do that but it seems he's quite happy standing at the podium on draft day with that smirk on his face to announce that the Oilers are drafting another forward, very predictable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

RNH @ $3.775 million

Taylor Hall @ $6 million

In Chia we trust.

The oilers problem is leadership.  Bringing Smyth back was a mistake.  The oilers of the 80s had great leadership for all the kids.  All the young guns they have i dont see a true leader.  

G- they dont have a number one.  

D- they arent physical enough back there.  Some nice pieces but they need a stud back there.  No true 1-2 guy at this pt.  

F- not big enough.  Their top 2 lines are mega skill with zero sand paper.  hemsky should have been dealt, horcoff will be a buyout likely along with Smyth.  

i think they will make a splash by deadline.  They might be able to deal smyth to a contender.  hemsky if back could be dealt as well.  

I dont think they will get the number one overall but really need seth jones.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [

The trouble with Edmonton is their G.M, its quite easy to have the 1st overall pick and look at the T.S.N draft rankings and pick the top player.Its quite another to actually construct a team, which Tambellini hasn't done. The Oiler defence is bad, which has not been addressed for 3 or 4 years now and i don't know if Dubnyk is the answer. Some veteran help would be nice but i guess they figure Ryan Smyth is enough.

I've said it before but instead of just picking another young top end forward , why not use your imagination and deal it to a team that wants it for an established top 2 d-man.Again i think its Tambellini's job to do that but it seems he's quite happy standing at the podium on draft day with that smirk on his face to announce that the Oilers are drafting another forward, very predictable.

[/QUOTE]

50 I'm not arguing about what you're saying, but who could've Edmonton gotten on their their blue line that would actually make a difference on this club? And out of which their forwards would you have given up to get one of these established top 2 d-man? Top 2 d-men don't grow on trees & top 2 d-men, doesn't necessarily mean the team will be better in their own zone. I think Suter & Weber are 2 perfect examples.  Neither one is having a great season. Doughty had a great play-off, but he seems to be missing JJ.  Then you have the Habs with  Markov & Subban.

So, it's easy to say what a team needs, but it doesn't mean it's easy to get. It also doesn't mean it'll work either. You don't always need the best players, you need the right ones.  I thought in this short season this Oiler team would be a joy to watch & I thought they'd make enough noise to turn heads for a shortened season. This team is atrocious!! And the goaltending has been the only reason the Oilers are in a lot of games! Dubneyk has had his bad nights, but that's the position that as been the most consistent. Khabby has been fantastic, when he hasn't been injured.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[

50 I'm not arguing about what you're saying, but who could've Edmonton gotten on their their blue line that would actually make a difference on this club? And out of which their forwards would you have given up to get one of these established top 2 d-man? Top 2 d-men don't grow on trees & top 2 d-men, doesn't necessarily mean the team will be better in their own zone. I think Suter & Weber are 2 perfect examples.  Neither one is having a great season. Doughty had a great play-off, but he seems to be missing JJ.  Then you have the Habs with  Markov & Subban. So, it's easy to say what a team needs, but it doesn't mean it's easy to get. It also doesn't mean it'll work either. You don't always need the best players, you need the right ones.  I thought in this short season this Oiler team would be a joy to watch & I thought they'd make enough noise to turn heads for a shortened season. This team is atrocious!! And the goaltending has been the only reason the Oilers are in a lot of games! Dubneyk has had his bad nights, but that's the position that as been the most consistent. Khabby has been fantastic, when he hasn't been injured.

[/QUOTE]

If a goalie can get a .916 while also having a 2.85 GAA like Dubnyk is, it means he's doing something right and the defence is doing a lot wrong. Hard to believe Khabby can still play like he can when he's healthy.

Go into the market as sellers, get some depth parts, aim for one more crazy high pick and use that sizable cap space to add some grit and defence on the UFA market in the summer. Not much they can do beyond that.

I also agree that this team does not have an analogue to Gary Unger, Blair MacDonald or Lee Fogolin to help the youngsters along.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[

50 I'm not arguing about what you're saying, but who could've Edmonton gotten on their their blue line that would actually make a difference on this club? And out of which their forwards would you have given up to get one of these established top 2 d-man? Top 2 d-men don't grow on trees & top 2 d-men, doesn't necessarily mean the team will be better in their own zone. I think Suter & Weber are 2 perfect examples.  Neither one is having a great season. Doughty had a great play-off, but he seems to be missing JJ.  Then you have the Habs with  Markov & Subban.

So, it's easy to say what a team needs, but it doesn't mean it's easy to get. It also doesn't mean it'll work either. You don't always need the best players, you need the right ones.  I thought in this short season this Oiler team would be a joy to watch & I thought they'd make enough noise to turn heads for a shortened season. This team is atrocious!! And the goaltending has been the only reason the Oilers are in a lot of games! Dubneyk has had his bad nights, but that's the position that as been the most consistent. Khabby has been fantastic, when he hasn't been injured.

[/QUOTE]

I know we can agree the team is atrocious Nite and while i don't watch all of their games i do know Dubey has been bad  on some of the games i have watched. Of course it isn't all his fault but on a defensively poor team like this poor dubnyk has to be sensational.

As far as a top pairing d-man, who knows what can be done, but maybe if the Oilers dangled a 1st overall pick in front of the Habs with the prospect of getting Yakupov, they might have given up Subban and a pick. This is just one example and maybe i'm grasping at straws as who knows who's available. Try to get Gudbrandson out of Florida or Weber out of Buffalo. i don't know but Tambellini has to do something other than pick the best forward every draft.As far as which forward i would have given up, maybe last years pick Yakupov.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[

I know we can agree the team is atrocious Nite and while i don't watch all of their games i do know Dubey has been bad  on some of the games i have watched. Of course it isn't all his fault but on a defensively poor team like this poor dubnyk has to be sensational.

As far as a top pairing d-man, who knows what can be done, but maybe if the Oilers dangled a 1st overall pick in front of the Habs with the prospect of getting Yakupov, they might have given up Subban and a pick. This is just one example and maybe i'm grasping at straws as who knows who's available. Try to get Gudbrandson out of Florida or Weber out of Buffalo. i don't know but Tambellini has to do something other than pick the best forward every draft.As far as which forward i would have given up, maybe last years pick Yakupov.   

[/QUOTE]

That's who I would've said as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I see hemsky is playin.   i would be dealing him for cap relief and a pick/prospect.  Id give smyth away.  Ditto for whitney and horcoff would be bought out In the summer.  

depending where the oilers draft this year they may be able to deal it for a decent dman.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I see hemsky is playin.   i would be dealing him for cap relief and a pick/prospect.  Id give smyth away.  Ditto for whitney and horcoff would be bought out In the summer.  

depending where the oilers draft this year they may be able to deal it for a decent dman.  

Wt...f happened to this guy!? He was a member of the US O- Team, a +13 on a weak defensive team with the Oil just 2 seasons ago. I know his right ankle has been a band-aid over the seasons, but this guy is in another galaxy this yr. He's been better lately after being scratched 7x already, but he's better than this!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'd say wait until after April 29th draft lottery before they think of trading that pick - if they end up drafting first again why trade it for a D when they could just draft Jones?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Wt...f happened to this guy!? He was a member of the US O- Team, a +13 on a weak defensive team with the Oil just 2 seasons ago. I know his right ankle has been a band-aid over the seasons, but this guy is in another galaxy this yr. He's been better lately after being scratched 7x already, but he's better than this!

Injuries and confidence.  I wouldnt mind the bruins picking him up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not enough return for Hemsky at $5M with the cap going down, I wouldn't trade for him. Smyth is only making $2.25M so need for a buyout. Horcroff is terrible one goal in the 7 game he's played and he's on the line for $5.5M a year till 2015. Tambellini needs to go!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

i thought the perfect opportunity for this move should have been done with last years top pick.
    They already had Hall, Eberle, Hopkins , Gagne and really did not need Yakopov... They could have fetched a real good return  for him and help fill some badly needed holes in their lineup...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Not enough return for Hemsky at $5M with the cap going down, I wouldn't trade for him. Smyth is only making $2.25M so need for a buyout. Horcroff is terrible one goal in the 7 game he's played and he's on the line for $5.5M a year till 2015. Tambellini needs to go!

San, 

like the new photo.  You gotta know teams need off and will ask about him.  Remember teams can now eat some money.  Someone will want hemsky.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hemsky's cap hit next year is large for someone who is not consistent, Pass.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

dont mean for us.  But a nashville or a coyotes for example always need want scoring.  Heck even a van or chicago.  Pitts always been rumored as interested and maybe a team that is losing someone like a perry may want him for next year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

How much ice time do you think Hemsky or any other one of their elite players, for that matter, would get, playing in a system like CJ's ?  Seguin is a much, much, much, better developed player than Hall.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I know this is not representative of Dubnyk's play overall, but this is as bad as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OajUip0BFcU

After EDM goes up 4-0 tonight vs CHI, Dubnyk let's in two in the 2nd and gets pulled.

EDIT: Dubnyk left injured.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659528&navid=nhl:topheads

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

dont mean for us.  But a nashville or a coyotes for example always need want scoring.  Heck even a van or chicago.  Pitts always been rumored as interested and maybe a team that is losing someone like a perry may want him for next year. 

Nashville and Phoenix have to be financialy resonsible. They wouldn't give out an underachieving contract like Hemsky's so they are not going to trade for one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

If they keep losing, Smid might be a guy to target for a trade.  UFA next year, can log some minutes, plays the body and plays the left-side.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nashville and Phoenix have to be financialy resonsible. They wouldn't give out an underachieving contract like Hemsky's so they are not going to trade for one.

They also have some history picking guys up at deadline day.  Hemsky is a very talented player.  Underachieving yes.  hes frustrating bc when he wants to no one can take the puck from him.  How about the islanders who are attempting to draw interest and make the playoffs.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

If they keep losing, Smid might be a guy to target for a trade.  UFA next year, can log some minutes, plays the body and plays the left-side.

Yup.  I would like this.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

[QUOTE]

i thought the perfect opportunity for this move should have been done with last years top pick.
    They already had Hall, Eberle, Hopkins , Gagne and really did not need Yakopov... They could have fetched a real good return  for him and help fill some badly needed holes in their lineup...

This is what i mean, Tambellni is paid to make moves to improve the team, not just take the consensus overall #1 pick. He's got to be forward thinking and part of that is the Oilers didn't need more offence.