They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!

Better than he is?  Who you would trust as your goalie in the playoffs.  I wanna hear them.
    If track records don't mean anything then I am lost.  Knowing how to win is vital.  Name a goalie in the league at the moment who could have won game 6 and game 7 in Detroit against that team. 
    He may be a top 10 regular season goalie.  But when the playoffs come I wouldnt want anyone else.  And you look at Pitts record.  He has been outstanding minus two of the best players in the world. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Right now?

TT
    Ryan Miller
    Lundqvist
    Cam Ward
    Bryzgalov

All better, only one with a ring.

You put Miller or Lundqvist on a team like Fleury's and this discussion looks silly.

I might even put someone like a Vokoun above Fleury.  Vokoun has never even been on a good team before.

I think your premise is slightly flawed. Pitt has Crosby and Malkin up front, a good set of lines behind them and a good D with Letang, Orpik, etc, and Fluery plays with them, so maybe that is why he does well?

You have to look at the whole picture.

I've always been a Kiprusoff fan as well. 

Jimmy Howard is moving up the charts.

Fleury is the Luongo of the Eastern Conference.  And yes, he has a ring, courtesy of Crosby, Malkini and Ray Shero's shrewd moves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

TT has never won in the playoffs.  He has choked heavily and he didnt start last yrs playoffs.  I would trust Fleury in our system which is much better on the back end.  He isnt a better money goalie, in fact I get very nervous with him in there b/c he can make the outstanding save and then flub an easy one.  Lundqvist isnt a better money goalie either.  Brysgalov is an amazing goalie.  But if it were for all the marbles no chance.

Ward would be the only guy on that list I would consider above him or on the same playing field.  Regular season wins means nothing in the playoffs. 

Miller would likely be my top goalie if I had to build a team and I believe he is the best goalie on the planet so I think he would fill in.  But he has stood the test of time. 

The debate about putting him on a different team.  All of those teams play air tight trap hockey.  All of them.  Fleury is a world class goalie for a reason. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This is simply a great move for Pittsburgh.  The cost is zilch, there is no major, or even minor "gamble" at play here.  Kovy has explosive offensive potential, and if he has the opportunity to maybe play with Crosby for a month or so, he'll be motivated.

Just no logical down side to this deal for Pittsburgh....and Shero pulled it off with a 7th rounder???

Wish we could do some of that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And to add on.  The reason the Pens can play the style they play is b/c they have complete faith that they can take extra risks b/c he is back there. 
    Its a good debate but I will take the more athletic, proven winner anyday of the week.  He is still a kid and is getting better.  This might be his best season.  if he hadn't faltered early on he would be in the running for he goalie awards.  Have a look at his stats and tell me who has been better not named TT.  2.27 GAA 921 save% 27 wins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wow. Well, we disagree.

I see Tim Thomas being a guy who is really the reason Chiarelli was able to lure Chara here and has been under the radar for years, playing on a flawed team.

In other words, Thomas was playing well above his market value and Chara could be lured here to help build.

This might be the first time he's had two legit puck moving D Men (Wideman the other/Kaberle the better player) in front of him and players who can actually skate in front of him, too.

meanwhile, you see other NHL teams with a great group of 4 deep on defense.  Not a coincidence those goalies look better because of it.

RYan Miller's numbers are down because his team isn't very good.

Pretty simple. Two way street.

I wouldn't say "Thomas has choked". He was an 8th seed one year, mostly because of himself, taking the team to a Game 7 in Round 1, and then they lost in Round 2 in 2009, to a scrappy and more experienced Carolina in a Game that could have easily gone the other way.

If anyone "choked" it was Rask, for crying out loud.

Thomas is like Kirk McLean.  Or Mike Richter.  He's got it, he just needs the holes filled in in front of him so he isn't saving everyone's bacon all the time.

We'll see if that is the case with Chia's moves, but I'll take Thomas as a money goalie today and twice on Sundays, thanks.

The seasons he put here before Chara arrived were incredible. 

This could easily change by the year, too. If Fleury and Pitt go one and done, what will you say then?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!:
    [QUOTE]Watch him more.  He has played outstanding.  And he has a cup ring and knows how to win.  Which means a lot.  constructed team or not he is top 5 in the league.  and lets put it this way. I would rather roll the dice with him than anyone in the league at the moment.  Sure he has his moments but TT wasnt even our starter last year.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I don't feel like looking it up, but isn't his Cup ring from 1994?  And since then...nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NOT we were talking about Fleury.  Not Kovalev.

BBR- of the goalies you listed just go look at the stats.  Fleury is better then them all minus TT.  And Fleury has been on a team without his two stars.  And they have had a rash of injuries on the back end as well.

A money goalie is someone who knows how to win.  When has TT ever showed me he has that ability.  Sure wasnt last year.  Boston 3 yrs ago had the best transition game in the league.  They had avg dmen but the fwds are a big part of the transition game as well.  Are you telling me Fleury couldnt put up good numbers on a trap 1st team with skill like teh Bruins? 

We can agree to disagree.  But there is no way I would take TT of Fleury in a 7 game series or one game for all the marbles. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NOT we were talking about Fleury. 

Oops.  Sorry.  I was following the original topic and skipped a bunch of jibberish from new posters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

We have to give a 2nd for Kelly, but they get Kovalev for a 7th?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

Fleury is an overrated tard

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No worries.

Its off topic anyway. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!:[QUOTE]We have to give a 2nd for Kelly, but they get Kovalev for a 7th?Posted by KrayzieJoe[/QUOTE]

Yes Joe but Chiarelli had that 2nd rounder as a low one or dispensable because he has the Wild's 2nd which if Minnesota doesn't make it in (looking that way) is basically a 1st rounder. Dreams of more young finishers from the OHL...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

See. Shero gets better value for Kovalev for a 7th as compared to the 2nd rounder for Kelly.

Kelly is worth more here, absolutely, but this is what I mean about Chia.

Also, when you trade in the division, one team always feels like they need more for the player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I still think it was too much for Kelly, compared to what they got for Kovalev.  You would think Kovalev would at least fetch a 3rd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Kelly will be a 3rd liner compared to Kovalev on the 1st line.  How are we getting better value when we paid a higher fee?  Kelly will kill penalties while Kovalev plays PP.  Crosby needs anyone to ride shotgun with him and they landed an offensive wizard.

BBR- sorry man, I am not trying to pick fights.  Just seems we are on a head on collision on a one way street.  :-)

I really like the Kelly pick up a lot.  I would have liked Kovalev as well.  Kelly fits our team better. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

great pick up by Pitt, at the most it will be a sixth rounder...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kovalev at 5mil per gets a 14 goal return so PC should have jettisoned two or three NHL veteran players to fit him in under the cap yah I'd call that second guessing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

Give me Kovalev over Ryder. 

I am not crying over this though.  I think Pitt made a good move.  I also am very happy with the moves PC made. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah know Shup as much as I have shown my disdain for Ryder on this board over the last two years I can't say I would second guess Chiarelli if he had a chance to get Kovalev over Ryder.

I actually prefer Michael in the current mix because he is not counted on to light it up like last year. I think that was part of Ryder's undoing as it was for Sturm last year they were counted on. Michael actually thrives when he isn't on the first two lines. As BadHab eluded to I just don't trust Kovalev.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

Good post.  I just can't stand Ryder.  Kovalev would be frustrating to watch but he has magic hands. 

I am happy with the current roster. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think part of the price discrepancy is that Kovalev is a pure rental.  Kelly still has another year on his contract.  Still seems like surprisingly little for Kovalev.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Kelly will be a 3rd liner compared to Kovalev on the 1st line.  How are we getting better value when we paid a higher fee?  Kelly will kill penalties while Kovalev plays PP.  Crosby needs anyone to ride shotgun with him and they landed an offensive wizard. BBR- sorry man, I am not trying to pick fights.  Just seems we are on a head on collision on a one way street.  :-) I really like the Kelly pick up a lot.  I would have liked Kovalev as well.  Kelly fits our team better. 

We're not getting higher value. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

The just lost another D too, first they jetison Goligosky and not the lose Orpik.  I sense a 1st round exit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Good.  Pitt is annoying. Only trailing Montreal and NJ in the East.